X

“Milk cancels out the polyphenols of cacao (raw chocolate).” I have read that it has the same effect on green tea’s polyphenols, when taken together.

Recently, another poster at different forum discussed the negative effects of taking green tea and curcumin at the same time.

In addition, "calcium and iron neutralize each other if you take them at the same time, because excess calcium interferes with iron absorption and the body is then unable to absorb either one. "

It would be helpful to know what others have read or experienced, as there are many of us here who just take supplements/vitamins/foods with out any idea of what effect they may have in combination.

» “Milk cancels out the polyphenols of cacao (raw chocolate).” I have read
» that it has the same effect on green tea’s polyphenols, when taken
» together.
»
» Recently, another poster at different forum discussed the negative effects
» of taking green tea and curcumin at the same time.
»
» In addition, "calcium and iron neutralize each other if you take them at
» the same time, because excess calcium interferes with iron absorption and
» the body is then unable to absorb either one. "
»
» It would be helpful to know what others have read or experienced, as there
» are many of us here who just take supplements/vitamins/foods with out any
» idea of what effect they may have in combination.

All I can tell you is milk is the absolute worst thing a human adult can drink in my opinion. Milk is not needed and was only intended for babies as mother nature wanted it to be. Stay away from milk especially now with all the chemicals pumped into cows to make them produce even more milk.

“[Beta sitosterol] interferes with beta-carotene and vitamin E absorption, resulting in lower blood levels of these nutrients.”

Just another reason NOT to take this herbal supplement…

“Horsetail contains an ingredient that destroys thiamine (vitamin B1), which could lead to deficiency with long-term use. People who have thiamine (vitamin B1) deficiency or poor nutrition should avoid horsetail, as it may affect levels of thiamine even more.”

“Calcium and iron neutralize each other if you take them at the same time, because excess calcium interferes with iron absorption and the body is then unable to absorb either one.”

“Vitamin C increases the absorption of iron…[but] too much negatively influences the absorption of copper.”

» “Vitamin C increases the absorption of iron…[but] too much negatively
» influences the absorption of copper.”

This is going to be a really stupid thing to say but I took Propecia every morning for years & had good results. I then started taking 1 500mg chewable tablet of vitamin C every morning straight after I swallowed a propecia pill & would take another 500mg chewable tablet of vitamin C in the afternoon.Months later I noticed that the effects of Propecia where wearing off.It could have been a coincidence,the effects of Propecia DO wear of in time but I always wondered if the vitamin C effected the strength of Propecia ?
It’s amazing how desperate you can become for answers when you are losing your hair.

Damon,

There are some who consider over 2000 mg/day of Vitamin C “a large dose.”

Of the purported possible side effects associated with high vitamin C intake, I thought that this one, in particular, was quite startling:

“[Over time, large doses of vitamin C can become] a ‘pro-oxidant’ (a substance thought to promote cancer, heart disease, and stroke, the opposite of an antioxidant)”

» Damon,
»
» There are some who consider over 2000 mg/day of Vitamin C “a large dose.”
»
» Of the purported possible side effects associated with high vitamin C
» intake, I thought that this one, in particular, was quite startling:
»
» “[Over time, large doses of vitamin C can become] a ‘pro-oxidant’ (a
» substance thought to promote cancer, heart disease, and stroke, the
» opposite of an antioxidant)”

http://www.lbl.gov/LBL-Science-Articles/Archive/pauling-and-vitamin-c.html

quote:

The lively 92-year-old first gave a candid history of how he came to take up the vitamin C cause. He was introduced to the subject by biochemist Irwin Stone in 1966. Five years later, he would pen “Vitamin C and the Common Cold,” and then boldly go on to champion vitamin C as a fighter of more serious diseases such as cancer.

According to Pauling, the vitamin’s versatility in illness prevention arises from its role in the manufacture of collagen, the protein that gives shape to connective tissues and strength to skin and blood vessels.

One of the great misfortunes of human evolution, Pauling explained, was when our human ancestors lost their ability to manufacture vitamin C. Pauling thinks the trait was probably discarded at a time when our ancestors had a diet of vitamin-rich plants and didn’t need to produce the vitamin themselves. This left today’s primates (including humans) as one of the few groups of animals that must get the vitamin through the diet.

Ever since proto-humans moved out of fruit-and-vegetable-rich habitats, Pauling said, they have suffered great deficiencies of vitamin C. Pauling has forthrightly recommended that people make up for this deficiency with daily doses of vitamin C much greater than the 60 mg generally recommended.

He said our vitamin C consumption should be on par with what other animals produce by themselves, typically 10-12 grams a day.

==========================================

» » Damon,
» »
» » There are some who consider over 2000 mg/day of Vitamin C “a large
» dose.”
» »
» » Of the purported possible side effects associated with high vitamin C
» » intake, I thought that this one, in particular, was quite startling:
» »
» » “[Over time, large doses of vitamin C can become] a ‘pro-oxidant’ (a
» » substance thought to promote cancer, heart disease, and stroke, the
» » opposite of an antioxidant)”
»
» http://www.lbl.gov/LBL-Science-Articles/Archive/pauling-and-vitamin-c.html
»
» quote:
» ==========================================
» The lively 92-year-old first gave a candid history of how he came to take
» up the vitamin C cause. He was introduced to the subject by biochemist
» Irwin Stone in 1966. Five years later, he would pen “Vitamin C and the
» Common Cold,” and then boldly go on to champion vitamin C as a fighter of
» more serious diseases such as cancer.
»
» According to Pauling, the vitamin’s versatility in illness prevention
» arises from its role in the manufacture of collagen, the protein that
» gives shape to connective tissues and strength to skin and blood vessels.
»
»
» One of the great misfortunes of human evolution, Pauling explained, was
» when our human ancestors lost their ability to manufacture vitamin C.
» Pauling thinks the trait was probably discarded at a time when our
» ancestors had a diet of vitamin-rich plants and didn’t need to produce the
» vitamin themselves. This left today’s primates (including humans) as one of
» the few groups of animals that must get the vitamin through the diet.
»
» Ever since proto-humans moved out of fruit-and-vegetable-rich habitats,
» Pauling said, they have suffered great deficiencies of vitamin C. Pauling
» has forthrightly recommended that people make up for this deficiency with
» daily doses of vitamin C much greater than the 60 mg generally
» recommended.
»
» He said our vitamin C consumption should be on par with what other animals
» produce by themselves, typically 10-12 grams a day.
»
» ==========================================

I have to admit, that is interesting. Dr. Proctor puts alot of abscorbyl palmitate (vitamin C form) in prox-n

» I have to admit, that is interesting. Dr. Proctor puts alot of abscorbyl
» palmitate (vitamin C form) in prox-n

Slightly off topic benji, but perhaps this is some interesting info to pass along to our friend Tom Hagerty:

http://ssl.adgrafix.com/users/lifestag/hairloss/alternative.html

quote:

J Dermatol 1990 Apr;17(4):240-6
A new apparatus for hair regrowth in male-pattern baldness.
Toshitani S, Nakayama J, Yahata T, Yasuda M, Urabe H
Department of Dermatology, School of Medicine, Fukuoka University, Japan.

A newly devised apparatus (Scalp-Tension-Relaxer, STR) can efficiently promote hair regrowth in patients with male-pattern baldness. When this apparatus is applied, the scalp is pushed up to relieve tension on the vertex. The efficacy rate of hair regrowth in alopecia patients was 40%. An investigation into the basis for the hair regrowth caused by this apparatus was directed toward the changes in hemodynamics and skin temperature of the scalp. During and after use of this apparatus, subjects exhibited an increase both in the cutaneous blood flow rate (as determined by laser Doppler flowmetry) and in the cutaneous temperature (as determined by thermography).

There seems to be a correlation with scalp tension and hair loss. Of course, the tension is the result of androgenic causes. But the scalp exercise can relieve the tension and give some regrowth…

I completely agree with this. I believe that there is some correlation between scalp tightness and hair loss. I also believe that stress plays a much larger role in some peoples’ hair loss than simply genetics. Stress is obviously not the cause of MPB, but seems to exacerbate it quite dramatically.

» I completely agree with this. I believe that there is some correlation
» between scalp tightness and hair loss. I also believe that stress plays a
» much larger role in some peoples’ hair loss than simply genetics. Stress
» is obviously not the cause of MPB, but seems to exacerbate it quite
» dramatically.

stress dramatically consumes B vitamins, which are needed for hair health
this is the main reason for hair loss and stress

» » I completely agree with this. I believe that there is some correlation
» » between scalp tightness and hair loss. I also believe that stress plays
» a
» » much larger role in some peoples’ hair loss than simply genetics.
» Stress
» » is obviously not the cause of MPB, but seems to exacerbate it quite
» » dramatically.
»
» stress dramatically consumes B vitamins, which are needed for hair health
» this is the main reason for hair loss and stress

The is research that shows that the glucocorticoid receptor acts like the Estrogen Receptor in inhibiting anagen phase. It is Cortisol the ‘stress hormone’ that primarily bings to the GR so there is a clear linkage between stress and hair loss.

Corisol is essential, but there is a lot of active research in the activity of the GR; specifically this surrounds anti-inflammatory drugs. The research is looking for specific receptor modulators and has more focus that on the Androgen Receptor.

Cortisol is tough to tackle as it is essential; Nizoral (Ketoconazole) reduces it drammatically and should be used as a topical, Phosphatidylserene (PS) is the best thing for balancing cortisol levels systemically.

I haven’t looked at the impact on B vitamins; I supplement B, C, D and E daily - though that is not how I would prioritise their impact.

» » » I completely agree with this. I believe that there is some
» correlation
» » » between scalp tightness and hair loss. I also believe that stress
» plays
» » a
» » » much larger role in some peoples’ hair loss than simply genetics.
» » Stress
» » » is obviously not the cause of MPB, but seems to exacerbate it quite
» » » dramatically.
» »
» » stress dramatically consumes B vitamins, which are needed for hair
» health
» » this is the main reason for hair loss and stress
»
» The is research that shows that the glucocorticoid receptor acts like the
» Estrogen Receptor in inhibiting anagen phase. It is Cortisol the ‘stress
» hormone’ that primarily bings to the GR so there is a clear linkage
» between stress and hair loss.
»
» Corisol is essential, but there is a lot of active research in the
» activity of the GR; specifically this surrounds anti-inflammatory drugs.
» The research is looking for specific receptor modulators and has more
» focus that on the Androgen Receptor.
»
» Cortisol is tough to tackle as it is essential; Nizoral (Ketoconazole)
» reduces it drammatically and should be used as a topical,
» Phosphatidylserene (PS) is the best thing for balancing cortisol levels
» systemically.
»
» I haven’t looked at the impact on B vitamins; I supplement B, C, D and E
» daily - though that is not how I would prioritise their impact.

what if you cant buy keto directly as a topical then what

Hangin:

Have you thought about going to a derm and asking for a prescription? Tell him/her that you have extremely itchy scalp and would like to give Keto cream a try.

gc1961:

Thank you for posting this. I think that stress and cortisol have caused the loss of much more of my hair than genetics ever did. Where do you get PS? I see that late-nite infomercial for the weight loss treatment “Cortislim” and have always thought about giving it a try - but then again, it is probably just crap sold on TV that has little effect on cortisol.

I found a Phosphatidylserene (PS) supplement called Seriphos that looks interesting and I think I am going to try it. I also read that Holy Basil works well at redusing cortisol systemically.

» Hangin:
»
» Have you thought about going to a derm and asking for a prescription? Tell
» him/her that you have extremely itchy scalp and would like to give Keto
» cream a try.

i can get anything here in the phils with no prescription
i can get nizoral shampoo which has keto but too harsh
i can get the nizoral cream i think
have to try to ask for it, see if they have it
dont think i can buy keto separately though

Can stress cause an oily scalp/an increase in sebum production ? Can this increase in sebum cause further hairloss ?