What you see is what you will get

When considering a body hair procedure, I urge you to look at your body hair.

Examine it carefully.

Although body hair , when transplanted to the scalp, will “usually” increase in length, the degree of increase is dependent upon where it came from and how long and robust it was.

Although it is usually packed more densely , fundamentally WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU WILL GET.

Furthermore, certain parts of the body are prone to much higher transection rates. So when looking at fresh photos, never assume the red dots you see on the body represent intact follicles, or that dots on the recipient area will produce hair.

So when someone as astute as SKYWALKER did the research, he probably found that all those early intra op photos of thousands of red dots on some guys body wound up producing very little
And if after shots did show something, was it regrowth of pre existing hair ?
Were the photos manipulated ?
And how many promising cases “disappeared” , no results ever seen despite the initial publicity.

In calling BHT “hype”, Skywalker is right insofar as the inundation of the forum with shameless publicity stunts , manipulated photos and inhouse cheer squads.

I also cannot believe that Skywalker has not seen enough genuine results to realise that BHT is an incredible resource when done correctly.

And doing this job correctly is extremely long and demanding, and leaves little time or inclination to compete with those flooding the forum with publicity grabbing hype.

I hope Skywalker leaves the forum understanding this. Otherwise I sincerely wish him the best.

Dr Ray Woods

Sounds risky appearance-wise.

» Sounds risky appearance-wise.

I thought it took on the appearance of your scalp hair.

» » Sounds risky appearance-wise.
»

»
» I thought it took on the appearance of your scalp hair.

Not sure of the source on that one. What we have seen and reported on is that in some cases, and in some areas, there has been an increase in the LENGTH of some body hairs when transplanted into the scalp (possibly a longer anagen phase once placed on the head)
NO one that I know of has reported on any other changes, such as caliber, color, or curl.
So no, I would not say at this point that body hair takes on the appearance of scalp hair when placed in that region.

To be honest with you,I really don’t care how long the hair grows,just as long as there was hair.My chest & leg hairs are fairly long but even if they grew 1 cm in my scalp & scar I would be over the moon.
Dr Woods,can you please post photos and videos of repair cases in the donor area ?

We have been told all along by bht doctors that body hair takes on the appearance of your scalp hair. It’s only recently that they are changing their stories.

» We have been told all along by bht doctors that body hair takes on the
» appearance of your scalp hair. It’s only recently that they are changing
» their stories.

The most prominent report on the change in characteristics was by Dr. Woods himself.

To my understanding (subject to correction), at least one clinic (verify which) has represented that body hair assumes scalp-like dimensions after transfer to the head. I think, in that scenario, an individual with a mixture of transplanted body hair and head hair was shown with a ruler depicting significant changes in length of body hair after scalp transfer. These claims were perpetuated both photographically and in written statements. Some have argued (understandably) that such assertions cannot be supported since the recipient area consisted of both head and body hair. Thus far, the only objective finding in publication that relates to the subject has been provided by the Korean group.

In the midst of all the hype (see above), I posted the following about 15 months ago:

http://www.hairsite4.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=12&topic_id=32892&mesg_id=32912&page=

I still stand by those words.

S. Umar, M.D., FAAD
DermHair Clinic
Redondo Beach, California
+1-310-318-1500
1-877-DERMHAIR (US residents)
info@dermhairclinic.com
NEW WEBSITE www.dermhairclinic.com
Single Follicule Extraction & Transfer (SFET)
Using Head and Body hair

» To my understanding (subject to correction), at least one clinic (verify
» which) has represented that body hair assumes scalp-like dimensions after
» transfer to the head. I think, in that scenario, an individual with a
» mixture of transplanted body hair and head hair was shown with a ruler
» depicting significant changes in length of body hair after scalp transfer.
» These claims were perpetuated both photographically and in written
» statements. Some have argued (understandably) that such assertions cannot
» be supported since the recipient area consisted of both head and body
» hair. Thus far, the only objective finding in publication that relates to
» the subject has been provided by the Korean group.
»
» In the midst of all the hype (see above), I posted the following about
» 15 months ago:
»
» 抚州灼中影视文化发展公司
»
»
» I still stand by those words.
»
»

Is this what you were looking for.

As reported by Dr. Woods in the British Journal of Plastic Surgery, the grafts yielded over 90% survival rate in the recipient’s site of the patient. Excellent cosmetic results were achieved. The chest hairs that were measured to be between 3.5 and 5 cm prior to transplant were subsequently measured at 15 cm long 18 months post op. With respect to the characteristics of hairs transplanted to anatomically different regions of the body, here’s what the Journal / Dr. Woods reported: “obvious growth of the transplanted follicular units was evident by 6 months and the transplanted chest hair was indistinguishable to the naked eye from this patient’s normal wavy scalp hair.”

Please Dr. Umar, do not start attacking Dr. Woods (let me do it :stuck_out_tongue: ). He did, and possibly still does lead the way in these areas (seriously).

He also has a mild predisposition and is defenseless against harsh remarks (not so seriously).

Dr. Woods come on, take it with some humour. We all get a ribbing when our status gets too high, its just part of the male bonding process :stuck_out_tongue:

» To my understanding (subject to correction), at least one clinic (verify
» which) has represented that body hair assumes scalp-like dimensions after
» transfer to the head. I think, in that scenario, an individual with a
» mixture of transplanted body hair and head hair was shown with a ruler
» depicting significant changes in length of body hair after scalp transfer.
» These claims were perpetuated both photographically and in written
» statements. Some have argued (understandably) that such assertions cannot
» be supported since the recipient area consisted of both head and body
» hair. Thus far, the only objective finding in publication that relates to
» the subject has been provided by the Korean group.
»
I probaly was one of the first on this site along with David (Hairsite) that heard Dr. Woods words in a public forum at a seminar he held in N.Y.C back in 2002. He also presented a patient Timetested that I was able to meet in 2002 and 2003 at the second seminar. The hair was taken from the upper body chest and back and it was clearly robust and the yield was easy to see. He had other doctors and people at the seminar comb through the hair . I believe the words doctor Woods said when a question was asked about taking on charecteristics of head hair, that he had noticed on a few occasions that the length had doubled. These are the hairs that will make the real cosmetic differences. And to this date the hairs have not died off as we are starting to hear from other patients on other forums about using the Non -robust hairs.

I think there is some major confusion here about Dr. Woods’ comments. Read his post carefully, he did mention:

“body hair, when transplanted to the scalp, will “usually” increase in length, the degree of increase is dependent upon where it came from and how long and robust it was.”

He cleary stands by his position that body hair will “usually” assume the characteristics of the scalp hair, but to what extent will depend on the type of body hair you use. This is why he is not a big advocate of leg hair because in his opinion, leg hair are not nearly as robust as chest and abdominal hair.

Hello mate.
What kind of scarring/dots is left behind on the body after BHT ? I know how well a patient heals plays a part in this but generally,how does it turn out ?
Also,any plans of opening another practice in the Eastern subs ??

In the 2004 Brittish Journal of Plastic Surgery article, attention was directed specifically to the area transplanted with ONLY chest and abdominal hair and the increase in length was remarkable.

Timetested appeared at several USA seminars since 2002. The area behind the hairline extending to the crown was quite bald and treated with body hair EXCLUSIVELY.

“Hairyashell” was pretty bald at the front as is clearly seen. The transplanted body hair is already showing a significant and obvious length increase, almost double at this point. I hope he will meet David from hairsite soon in person.

Zac’s videos were presented here. All body hair. And over the years there are too many to mention.

But, as stated, length increase “depends” upon factors I have already discussed in other posts . Try to find “working the body” from a few years ago.

And not all body hair is equal.

Results will vary dramatically, and transection rates should be transparent to the patient.

Dr Ray Woods

» He cleary stands by his position that body hair will “usually” assume the
» characteristics of the scalp hair, but to what extent will depend on the
» type of body hair you use. This is why he is not a big advocate of leg
» hair because in his opinion, leg hair are not nearly as robust as chest
» and abdominal hair.

The phrase “assume the characteristics of scalp hair” is inaccurate, in our opinion.

The following threads are important reading for BHT.

A compilation of observations and conclusions.
http://www.hairsite4.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=52071&mode=full

BHT results using a wide variety of body donor hair.
http://www.hairsite4.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=48309&mode=full#52705

If the APPROPRIATE body hair was harvested and planted CORRECTLY, then apart from possible length variation, it will blend in and be indistinguishable from scalp hair. But that’s in my practice. I do not speak for you

And in my opinion, there are inaccuracies regarding claims and statements from your clinic.

Dr Ray Woods

» If the APPROPRIATE body hair was harvested and planted CORRECTLY, then
» apart from possible length variation, it will blend in and be
» indistinguishable from scalp hair. But that’s in my practice. I do not
» speak for you
»
» And in my opinion, there are inaccuracies regarding claims and statements
» from your clinic.
»
» Dr Ray Woods

Dear Dr. Woods,
I have posted my conclusions at a previous thread.

http://www.hairsite4.com/dc/dcboard...amp;topic_id=52071&mode=full

I have derived my conclusions based on, as far as I know, a larger patient pool.

http://www.hairsite4.com/dc/dcboard...pic_id=48309&mode=full#52705

Do you wish to state that the chest hair will take on all the scalp hair characteristics?

There are other characteristics, apart from the length (blendability is not a characteristic, BTW).
Let me enumerate the remaining hair characteristics and you can let me know what your opinion is for each one of them.

• Hair Calibre,
  • Speed of hair growth,
  • Hair color and predisposition to greying,
  • Hair curl,
  • Hair cycles.

Let us not take anecdotal cases for purposes of grandstanding. We have seen patients in whom the transplanted body hair have grown longer than in their original location.

However, to suggest that this means that the transplanted body hair have taken on scalp hair characteristics, is misleading.
This is not the best way to present BHT.

For the present, I would request your direct answer to my question.

Regards,
Dr. A

"Let us not take anecdotal cases " That is all we have. You guys can go back and forth on this all day. I would expect any one considering BHT for these doctors to have patients at the ready for full viewing before a surgery is planned. The problem is that clinics are selling full hair restoration with all parts of extractable bht and they still to this day can not when asked if they are confident all will grow. Ahh good followup case that was very prominent of this board was that of Optimist. Has to be at least 2 years out from these procedures. A search here will find many discussions from this poster. Can you provide his final results? Instead of the doctors saying what they believe how about the bht patients? Come on if you are out there send your photos to David and have him post them.

1. Of the several factors affecting BHT yield I have not found location to be an absolute objective parameter. For instance, in some individuals the leg hair is as robust as the chest hair.

2. Not all body hair is the same. However, while body hair (regardless of location) “May” exhibit some increase in length relative to original lengths in native body locations, it is erroneous to project that these lengths would match scalp hair. It is also less likely to match scalp hair in terms of caliber. A recipient area with no history of head hair grafting would form an ideal platform for objective assessments.

3. Given the variations in extraction protocols between different practices it should come as no surprise if different practices experience different transection rates for certain body hair (eg legs, armpits etc) . It is emerging that chest hair is amongst the easiest to retrieve.

I have seen in my patients ample evidence of leg hair working very well, but the following cases being almost exclusively from these locations in active members of this forum are undeniable:

“Sofarsogood”
http://www.hairsite4.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=49194&mode=full

“Helmethair”
http://www.hairsite4.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=53374&mode=full

1. There has been ample evidence of pure BHT at work, amongst the clearest examples is “Pharoboy” Whose donor is a mixture of chest, leg and abdominal hair.

http://www.hairsite4.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=12&topic_id=48928&mesg_id=48928&listing_type=search

http://www.hairsite4.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=12&topic_id=51514&mesg_id=51573&page=

Yes of course, BHT has been shown to work already.

1. DHT inhibitors such as finasteride and dutasteride are frequently used by hair loss sufferers. Frequent reports of body hair reduction in users of these medications should be highlighted to all prospective BHT patients by all BHT providers. While this information may impact on the number of ideal BHT candidates, a fully informed patient considering BHT would know this at this time.

S. Umar, M.D., FAAD
DermHair Clinic
Redondo Beach, California
+1-310-318-1500
1-877-DERMHAIR (US residents)
info@dermhairclinic.com

Single Follicule Extraction & Transfer (SFET)
Using Head and Body hair

Dear forum readers,
Some logical points -

1. The transplanted scalp donor hair do not adopt the characteristics of the fine temple hair even when they are transplanted to the temples.

2. The transplanted “robust” beard hair did not take on the scalp hair characteristics in the forum poster “programmer” for years.

3. If the transplanted hair take on recipient area characteristics, then the requirement of “robustness” is moot. Each and every hair will take on the characteristics.

4. The transplanted scalp hair in the eyebrows retain their own characteristics, necessitating frequent trimming on part of the patient.

What happens, most likely, is that the transplanted hair retain their own characteristics, but the transplanted body hair may get a boost. Much like a plant placed in a more fertile soil.

That is very different from claims about transplanted body hair taking on scalp hair characteristics.

For reasons beyond my comprehension, early BHT proponents seemed to push this myth of BH taking on scalp hair characteristics.

I feel that is an utterly wrong way to present BHT.
BHT is close to my heart, but its benefits can be best acheived by unravelling its natural laws.
Not by simplistic pronouncements.

Regards,
Dr. A

Ahh good followup
» case that was very prominent of this board was that of Optimist. Has to be
» at least 2 years out from these procedures. A search here will find many
» discussions from this poster. Can you provide his final results? Instead
» of the doctors saying what they believe how about the bht patients? Come
» on if you are out there send your photos to David and have him post them.

Dear Franklin,
May I quote from Optimist’s post. He stated that the body hair gets a boost after transplant to the scalp. Does not change characteristics.
You may like to see the BHT results compiled by us at a thread previously listed. I think you will find it quite exhaustive.

Regards,
Dr. A