Vitamin D and Testosterone Study. Bad News for Hair Loss?

» Below is a comment somebody made on another hairloss site about that same
» study you reported here, and my response to him:
»
» To me it seems almost like the male body considers DHT a kind of “super
» testosterone”, that’s the way I view it in myself :slight_smile:
»
» So when my body doesn’t have enough T, it goes “oooo crap!” and makes lots
» of DHT probably by upregulating 5ar conversion of testosterone

»
» Your body maintains a tight control over testosterone, not DHT, sending
» the chemical signals to the testes which control its synthesis. So when
» your body thinks it doesn’t have enough testosterone, it releases more LH
» and FSH (luteinizing hormone and follicle stimulating hormone), to increase
» its production. I’m unaware of any sort of feedback mechanism that the body
» has that would increase the amount of DHT as a response to low
» testosterone, and I view the results of that study with some suspicion. I
» hope to get a better idea of what was going on with that, once I get a
» chance to read the whole thing.

Interesting pov…I remember reading a prostate cancer study in which they found that levels of “Barrestin2” - the protein that regulates androgen receptors, can make testosterone blocking drugs ineffective against prostate cancer…as it could cause an increase in number of androgen receptors thus using little testosterone available in blood to achieve the same result. However, what I found really interested was this part:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/05/090520100513.htm

“In fact, the increased number of androgen receptors may mutate so they can start feeding off other steroids or even growth factors, Dr. Daaka says.”

Whose to say similar doesn’t happen in human scalp? It is possible that each person needs to have a fine balance of testosterone in their bodies. Too much and more of it gets converted to DHT and we get hairloss (and DHT related diseases)…too little and body increases its sensitivity to androgens…again causing androgen related diseases.

Like you said that body basically regulates T-levels…not DHT…so body becoming twice as sensitive to testosterone, to compensate for low T-levels, will result in 10-20 times more effect of DHT on hair follicles, right?

» Interesting pov…I remember reading a prostate cancer study in which they
» found that levels of “Barrestin2” - the protein that regulates androgen
» receptors, can make testosterone blocking drugs ineffective against
» prostate cancer…as it could cause an increase in number of androgen
» receptors thus using little testosterone available in blood to achieve the
» same result. However, what I found really interested was this part:
»
» http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/05/090520100513.htm
»
» “In fact, the increased number of androgen receptors may mutate so they
» can start feeding off other steroids or even growth factors, Dr. Daaka
» says.”

»
» Whose to say similar doesn’t happen in human scalp? It is possible that
» each person needs to have a fine balance of testosterone in their bodies.
» Too much and more of it gets converted to DHT and we get hairloss (and DHT
» related diseases)…too little and body increases its sensitivity to
» androgens…again causing androgen related diseases.

The only problem with that theory is that it’s already been tested and thoroughly disproved by James Hamilton back as early as the 1940’s. His eunuchs maintained their hair for as long as 20-30 years after castration. The effect is apparently permanent!

"Testosterone may function as a dht antagonist as a man ages, having positive implications for hair growth and health. The prevailing myth for years has been that a high testosterone level is somehow bad for hair, due largely to its assumed propensity to increase DHT. We still occasionally get pestered with the age old question, will lifting weights increase hair loss, due to the increase in testosterone.・First of all, the borderline moronic way most people train (or overtrain) will have little effect, if any on raising testosterone, and even if it did they would likely be helping their hair in a roundabout way. An associated myth is that balding men are somehow more virile, with the perverse paradox being that hair loss likely reduces the chance of having virile・encounters. One study evaluating hormone levels in men with hair loss revealed that men with MPB actually have lower testosterone levels than the non-balding controls. So much for the myth of increased virility.

The one exception to this appears to be older adolescent and young males who can occasionally manifest early onset MPB due to a combination of high testosterone and low Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG), facilitated by insulin resistance associated with growth spurts.

So should I actually use exogenous testosterone for hair growth you ask? Not so fast. If you have low testosterone you invariably have an insulin resistant state and a higher level of aromatase , and you will convert much of it to estrogen and DHT, predisposing to bodyfat accumulation ,prostate disorders and hair loss.

However if testosterone is increased on its own vis a vis insulin management and pharmaceutical and/or plant based aromatase inhibitors, estrogen and DHT will typically decline. If exogenous testosterone is introduced AFTER insulin resistance has ameliorated, it is not likely to be problematic for hair. So the question becomes, what can be done to inhibit aromtase and facilitate insulin management to optimize my hormone profile for both health and hair growth?

Several things. In no particular order: Green Tea Extract, Black Tea Extract, Resveratrol, Pomegranate Extract all have established en vivo aromatase inhibiting, testosterone increasing properties in human and animal models. All are also documented and viable players in helping to treat insulin resistance. 

Dietary common sense, translated- a mostly raw, moderate to high protein diet with lots of saturated fats (yes you read that correctly) like Red Palm and Coconut Oil, minimal to no grains, and lots nuts ,seeds, fruits and vegetables will by itself largely correct an insulin resistant state.

By far the best excersize for health and hair is a combination of resistance training, (Kettlebells are by far my favorite) along with a short sprint based oxygenating aerobic workout, known as HIIT or in its most intense form, Tabata interval training. This type of training has been shown to improve insulin resistance. Sustained distance aerobics could theoretically have a negative impact on hair and overall health via several mechanisms.

So if there `is a takeaway here, let it be that you realize that a physiologically high testosterone is actually your friend , not your enemy in the fight against hair loss, and that are several ways one can readily increase your testosterone levels, ameliorate insulin resistance, and simultaneously enhance your health and longevity." 

Decline of plasma 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) levels upon testosterone administration to elderly men with subnormal plasma testosterone and high DHT levels.

Gooren LJ, Saad F, Haide A, Yassin A.
Vrije Universiteit Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Abstract

The study was performed to measure the impact of testosterone (T) administration on circulating levels of 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Group 1 (32 men; mean age 61 years; mean T 6.9 +/- 1.9 nmol l(-1)) were treated for 15 months with long-acting T undecanoate. Group 2 (23 men, mean age 60 years, mean T 7.6 +/- 2.0 nmol l(-1)) were treated for 9 months with T gel. Plasma T and DHT were measured before and after 9 months T administration. In the men treated with T undecanoate plasma T and DHT were also measured after 12 and 15 months. Before T administration, plasma DHT ranged from 0.39 to 1.76 nmol l(-1) (0.30-1.90 nmol l(-1)). Mean DHT declined upon T administration from 0.95 +/- 0.50 to 0.55 +/- 0.30 nmol l(-1) (P < 0.05). With an arbitrary cut-off at 0.60 nmol l(-1), all 21 values of DHT > 0.60 nmol l(-1) had fallen from 1.29 +/- 0.50 to 0.70 +/- 0.60 nmol l(-1) (P < 0.01). Below this cut-off point 13 values rose and 21 fell upon T administration. Below this cut-off point values on average declined from 0.39 +/- 0.12 to 0.30 +/- 0.14 nmol l(-1) (P < 0.05). The study revealed that in a cohort of elderly men with subnormal plasma T levels plasma DHT levels declined upon T administration when they were in the higher range of normal (>0.6 nmol l(-1)), with a profound shift of DHT/T ratios presumed to be an indicator of a reduced 5alpha-reductase activity. Below plasma DHT levels of 0.6 nmol

» “Testosterone may function as a dht antagonist as a man ages, having
» positive implications for hair growth and health. The prevailing myth for
» years has been that a high testosterone level is somehow bad for hair, due
» largely to its assumed propensity to increase DHT. We still occasionally
» get pestered with the age old question, will lifting weights increase hair
» loss, due to the increase in testosterone.・First of all, the
» borderline moronic way most people train (or overtrain) will have little
» effect, if any on raising testosterone, and even if it did they would
» likely be helping their hair in a roundabout way. An associated myth is
» that balding men are somehow more virile, with the perverse paradox being
» that hair loss likely reduces the chance of having
» virile・encounters. One study evaluating hormone levels in men with
» hair loss revealed that men with MPB actually have lower testosterone
» levels than the non-balding controls. So much for the myth of increased
» virility.
»
» The one exception to this appears to be older adolescent and young
» males who can occasionally manifest early onset MPB due to a combination of
» high testosterone and low Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG), facilitated
» by insulin resistance associated with growth spurts.
»
» So should I actually use exogenous testosterone for hair growth you
» ask? Not so fast. If you have low testosterone you invariably have an
» insulin resistant state and a higher level of aromatase , and you will
» convert much of it to estrogen and DHT, predisposing to bodyfat
» accumulation ,prostate disorders and hair loss.
»
» However if testosterone is increased on its own vis a vis insulin
» management and pharmaceutical and/or plant based aromatase inhibitors,
» estrogen and DHT will typically decline. If exogenous testosterone is
» introduced AFTER insulin resistance has ameliorated, it is not likely to be
» problematic for hair. So the question becomes, what can be done to inhibit
» aromtase and facilitate insulin management to optimize my hormone profile
» for both health and hair growth?
»
» Several things. In no particular order: Green Tea Extract, Black Tea
» Extract, Resveratrol, Pomegranate Extract all have established en vivo
» aromatase inhibiting, testosterone increasing properties in human and
» animal models. All are also documented and viable players in helping to
» treat insulin resistance.
»
» Dietary common sense, translated- a mostly raw, moderate to high
» protein diet with lots of saturated fats (yes you read that correctly) like
» Red Palm and Coconut Oil, minimal to no grains, and lots nuts ,seeds,
» fruits and vegetables will by itself largely correct an insulin resistant
» state.
»
» By far the best excersize for health and hair is a combination of
» resistance training, (Kettlebells are by far my favorite) along with a
» short sprint based oxygenating aerobic workout, known as HIIT or in its
» most intense form, Tabata interval training. This type of training has been
» shown to improve insulin resistance. Sustained distance aerobics could
» theoretically have a negative impact on hair and overall health via several
» mechanisms.
»
» So if there `is a takeaway here, let it be that you realize that a
» physiologically high testosterone is actually your friend , not your enemy
» in the fight against hair loss, and that are several ways one can readily
» increase your testosterone levels, ameliorate insulin resistance, and
» simultaneously enhance your health and longevity.”
»
»
»
»
» Decline of plasma 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) levels upon
» testosterone administration to elderly men with subnormal plasma
» testosterone and high DHT levels.
»
»
» Gooren LJ, Saad F, Haide A, Yassin A.
» Vrije Universiteit Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
» Abstract
»
» The study was performed to measure the impact of testosterone (T)
» administration on circulating levels of 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT).
» Group 1 (32 men; mean age 61 years; mean T 6.9 +/- 1.9 nmol l(-1)) were
» treated for 15 months with long-acting T undecanoate. Group 2 (23 men, mean
» age 60 years, mean T 7.6 +/- 2.0 nmol l(-1)) were treated for 9 months with
» T gel. Plasma T and DHT were measured before and after 9 months T
» administration. In the men treated with T undecanoate plasma T and DHT were
» also measured after 12 and 15 months. Before T administration, plasma DHT
» ranged from 0.39 to 1.76 nmol l(-1) (0.30-1.90 nmol l(-1)). Mean DHT
» declined upon T administration from 0.95 +/- 0.50 to 0.55 +/- 0.30 nmol
» l(-1) (P < 0.05). With an arbitrary cut-off at 0.60 nmol l(-1), all 21
» values of DHT > 0.60 nmol l(-1) had fallen from 1.29 +/- 0.50 to 0.70 +/-
» 0.60 nmol l(-1) (P < 0.01). Below this cut-off point 13 values rose and 21
» fell upon T administration. Below this cut-off point values on average
» declined from 0.39 +/- 0.12 to 0.30 +/- 0.14 nmol l(-1) (P < 0.05). The
» study revealed that in a cohort of elderly men with subnormal plasma T
» levels plasma DHT levels declined upon T administration when they were in
» the higher range of normal (>0.6 nmol l(-1)), with a profound shift of
» DHT/T ratios presumed to be an indicator of a reduced 5alpha-reductase
» activity. Below plasma DHT levels of 0.6 nmol

I have known and still know many bodybuilders and powerlifters and I myself use to powerlift and this goes back ever since the late 1990’s. That’s over 10 years with experience in using steroids, particularly Testosterone with all these people I knwo to the minimum. This doesn’t include speaking to the thousands of guys on body building and steroid forums of their experiences. Not 75%, not 85%, not 90%, BUT 100% of those who were predisposed with male pattern baldness shed and lost hair like wild fire everytime their cycle of testosterone injections began. The only thing that has ever helped tremendously was taking finasteride or dutasteride on cycle (provided you started treatment a few weeks prior to cycle). Some never even knew they were predisposed to mpb until they started testosterone injections only to find out the acceleration of non-stop hairloss from that point on.

With that being said, I cannot possibly imagine how increase in test production does not increase hairs to fall out. 2 men in my family are on TRT (testosterone replacement therapy) and both experienced massive and increased hair sheds forthe contuation of the treatment. One year later I told them both to get on finasteride and it has made a significant difference in nearly halting the sheds.

It’s obvious there are studies to both sides of this coin, but from personal experience and from the experience hundreds ofother that I know, if you’re predisposed with mpb and you increase your test levels high enough, I guarantee you will accelrate your hair loss.

I think this is key:

"However if testosterone is increased on its own vis a vis insulin management and pharmaceutical and/or plant based aromatase inhibitors, estrogen and DHT will typically decline.

Several things. In no particular order: Green Tea Extract, Black Tea Extract, Resveratrol, Pomegranate Extract all have established en vivo aromatase inhibiting, testosterone increasing properties in human and animal models."

» I think this is key:
»
» “However if testosterone is increased on its own vis a vis insulin
» estrogen and DHT will typically decline.
»
» Several things. In no particular order: Green Tea Extract, Black Tea
» Extract, Resveratrol, Pomegranate Extract all have established en vivo
» aromatase inhibiting, testosterone increasing properties in human and
» animal models.”

vis a vis what?? lol please translate this science lingo for me :smiley:

» “However if testosterone is increased on its own vis a vis insulin
» estrogen and DHT will typically decline.”

WRONG. In a very carefully controlled study a few years ago (“Estrogen reduction by aromatase inhibition for benign prostatic hyperplasia: results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized clinical trial using two doses of the aromatase-inhibitor atamestane.” Atamestane Study Group. Prostate. 1996 Oct;29(4):199-208.), lowering estrogen with an aromatase inhibitor in a trial with 292 men increased BOTH their testosterone and DHT levels, and the effect was dose-dependent. This, too, can be taken as a contradiction to that Netherlands study you posted recently. In general, testosterone and DHT levels roughly parallel each other.

Hamilton’s enuchs solved the whole baldness problem decades ago. No balls = no hair loss.

I guess the rest of us are just pussies. If we would ever just nut up(off) and take care of business, then we woudn’t have this problem anymore.

» vis a vis what?? lol please translate this science lingo for me :smiley:

That is the last thing this forum needs is more “scientific lingo.” :stuck_out_tongue:

» WRONG. In a very carefully controlled study a few years ago (“Estrogen
» reduction by aromatase inhibition for benign prostatic hyperplasia: results
» of a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized clinical trial using two
» doses of the aromatase-inhibitor atamestane.” Atamestane Study Group.
» Prostate. 1996 Oct;29(4):199-208.), lowering estrogen with an aromatase
» inhibitor in a trial with 292 men increased BOTH their testosterone and DHT
» levels, and the effect was dose-dependent. This, too, can be taken as a
» contradiction to that Netherlands study you posted recently. In general,
» testosterone and DHT levels roughly parallel each other.

The findings from the Netherlands study, nevertheless, stand: Increased testosterone lowered DHT levels.

So why do think that tocotrienols, vitamin D, nettles (all of which increase testosterone production) do not cause/increase hair loss? Perhaps these supplements contain some magical properties unknown to us.

» The findings from the Netherlands study, nevertheless, stand:
» Increased testosterone lowered DHT levels.

As I’ve said before, give me a chance to read that whole study, because there may be a reasonable explanation for their strange finding. Didn’t you find it rather odd that it was found in only one specific cohort of their test subjects? One with men who had abnormally low testosterone levels AND abnormally high DHT levels? Didn’t that suggest to you that maybe you should wait a bit to find out the whole story, rather than go ahead and jump to hasty conclusions and make highly questionable inferences about it? :wink:

» So why do think that tocotrienols, vitamin D, nettles (all of which
» increase testosterone production) do not cause/increase hair loss?
» Perhaps these supplements contain some magical properties unknown
» to us.

You say that they increase testosterone, but just how sure can we be that you know what you’re talking about? :slight_smile:

In any event, even if they DO increase testosterone a little, how important is the degree to which they do that? It’s obviously nowhere nearly as significant as what steroid-abusing bodybuilders experience, which is what seems to be required to actually harm somebody’s hair in a clear and obvious fashion.

» As I’ve said before, give me a chance to read that whole study, because
» there may be a reasonable explanation for their strange finding. Didn’t
» you find it rather odd that it was found in only one specific cohort
» of their test subjects? One with men who had abnormally low testosterone
» levels AND abnormally high DHT levels? Didn’t that suggest to you that
» maybe you should wait a bit to find out the whole story, rather than go
» ahead and jump to hasty conclusions and make highly questionable inferences
» about it? :wink:

People, a lot smarter than you, performed this clinical study. They are professionals, ok. Respect their findings. What, you think that, after reading the WHOLE study, you are going to notice something that these professionals didn’t.

Please.

» You say that they increase testosterone, but just how sure can we be
» that you know what you’re talking about? :slight_smile:

Don’t take my word for it:

1. http://www.tocotrienol.org/en/index/news/73.html
  2. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20050857?
  3. Vitamins and Supplements Rooted in Science - Life Extension

» In any event, even if they DO increase testosterone a little, how
» important is the degree to which they do that? It’s obviously nowhere
» nearly as significant as what steroid-abusing bodybuilders experience,
» which is what seems to be required to actually harm somebody’s hair in a
» clear and obvious fashion.

They do increase testosterone production, Buckwheat. And this results in higher energy and libido levels. Most importantly though, they do not adversely affect your hair. On the contrary, people have reported thicker hair while using these supplements.

» People, a lot smarter than you, performed this clinical study. They are
» professionals, ok. Respect their findings. What, you think that, after
» reading the WHOLE study, you are going to notice something that these
» professionals didn’t.
»
» Please.

Yes, it’s possible. It wouldn’t be the FIRST time that I spotted an error in a study! :wink:

I strongly recommend that you start reading whole studies, especially when something comes along like this one that presents something unusual or controversial. It gets a bit risky sometimes just to rely on abstracts.

» » You say that they increase testosterone, but just how sure
» » can we be that you know what you’re talking about? :slight_smile:
»
» Don’t take my word for it:
» 1. http://www.tocotrienol.org/en/index/news/73.html

The link doesn’t work.

» 2. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20050857?

Where does it say that taking vitamin D supplements increases testosterone? Where are the before-and-after measurements of testosterone while taking vitamin D? All I see in that abstract is a measurement of vitamin D and testosterone at low/high points at specific times of the year (showing a possible association between the two), which isn’t quite the same thing. You have to do better than that, my friend.

» 3. Vitamins and Supplements Rooted in Science - Life Extension

Same thing: where does it report any experiment showing that taking nettle increases testosterone? It talks about the theory of why that might work, but there’s no actual physical experiment being reported there.

» » In any event, even if they DO increase testosterone a little, how
» » important is the degree to which they do that? It’s obviously nowhere
» » nearly as significant as what steroid-abusing bodybuilders experience,
» » which is what seems to be required to actually harm somebody’s hair in
» » a clear and obvious fashion.
»
» They do increase testosterone production, Buckwheat.

Read what I asked you in plain English, Alfalfa: I said even if they DO increase testosterone, how important is the DEGREE to which they do that? If they only increase testosterone by 1% or so, it obviously wouldn’t be clinically significant.

» And this results in higher
» energy and libido levels. Most importantly though, they do not
» adversely affect your hair. On the contrary, people have reported
» thicker hair while using these supplements.

Well goodness gracious…it MUST be true, if people have reported it! Plucking body hair must grow hair on your scalp, too, since Ernie Primeau has reported it! :slight_smile:

Look Huckleberry, nothing you do or state at this point will change the facts. The study has been completed. Respect their findings.

And by the way, just because you have decided to give up on hair loss, doesn’t mean the rest of us should/must do so.

"Practically on the heels of our last update, which featured a study pointing to the hair and health benefits of maintaining a high physiologic testosterone level, and pointed to low physiologic levels being correlated with both insulin resistance and hair loss, comes a study which validates this association even further.

The preponderance of evidence suggests that insulin resistance and the eventually resultant Metabolic Syndrome are primary to the state that ultimately manifests as Androgenetic Alopecia, (AGA).

Metabolic syndrome and insulin resistance significantly increase oxidative stress, free radicals, and inflammation which is central to the pathogenesis of MPB. Simply put, the body's endogenous antioxidant enzyme system becomes overwhelmed. 

This insulin resistance related increase in free radicals and concurrent decrease in antioxidant enzymes creates and exacerbates the inflammation and eventual fibrosis in the hair follicle that is ultimately causative in AGA. In fact it has been found in AGA that there is an actual diminishment of the endogenous antioxidant, glutathione in areas of the scalp affected by AGA.

When the state of insulin resistance and/or metabolic syndrome are ameliorated through supplementation or pharmacological intervention, diet, and lifestyle modification (exercise, avoidance of wheat, etc.) the effects of DHT on hair are largely neutralized. 

As mentioned in our last update, Green Tea and Black Tea Extracts, Pomegranate Extracts, Resveratrol, Grape Seed Extract all help to resolve metabolic syndrome as well as helping hair growth, even in the absence of other interventions. Orally consumed Grape Seed Extract is often reported to immediately resolve a tangible itchiness in scalp associated with the inflammation of AGA

Taurine, an amino acid patented by L丹real in combination with Green Tea and Zinc as an oral hair loss treatment, prevents fibrosis from ever taking hold in the hair follicle system to begin with, and should be a part of everyone's hair loss intervention/prevention regime.

Br J Dermatol. 2010 Apr 23.
Association of Androgenetic Alopecia with Metabolic Syndrome in Men: A Community-based Survey.
Su LH, Hsiu-Hsi Chen T.
Department of Dermatology, Far Eastern Memorial Hospital.

Abstract

ABSTRACT Background: Several previous studies have investigated the association between factors related to metabolic syndrome (MetS), which is known to increase the risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus and cardiovascular disease, and androgenetic alopecia (AGA). However, the results of these studies have been inconsistent.

Objective: To elucidate if there is an association between MetS and AGA after adjustment for potential confounders. Patients/Methods: A population-based cross-sectional survey was conducted in Tainan, Taiwan. A total of 740 subjects aged 40 to 91 years participated in the survey between April and June 2005. Norwood classifications were used to assess the degree of hair loss. Information on components of MetS along with other possible risk factors was collected. Results: A statistically significant association was found between AGA and the presence of the MetS (OR= 1.67, 95% CI: 1.01, 2.74) as well as between AGA and the number of fulfilled MetS components (OR= 1.21, 95% CI: 1.03, 1.42) after controlling for age, family history of AGA, and smoking status. Among MetS components, high-density lipoprotein (HDL) (OR= 2.36, 95% CI: 1.41, 3.95, p= 0.001) was revealed as the most important factor associated with AGA.

Conclusions: Our population-based study found a significant association between AGA and MetS; among MetS components, HDL was found to be of particular importance. This finding may have significant implications for the identification of MetS in moderate or severe AGA patients. Early intervention for MetS is critical to reduce the risk and complications of cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes mellitus later in life.

Food Chem Toxicol. 2010 Apr 20. [Epub ahead of print]
Preventive effect of grape seed extract against high-fructose diet-induced insulin resistance and oxidative stress in rats.
Suwannaphet W, Meeprom A, Yibchok-Anun S, Adisakwattana S.
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Veterinary Science, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok 10330, Thailand.

Abstract

The purpose of the present study was to investigate the preventive effect of grape seed extract (GSE) on insulin resistance and oxidative stress in rats fed a high-fructose diet. After 8weeks of the experiment, the fasting plasma glucose, insulin concentrations, and the homeostasis model assessment of basal insulin resistance (HOMA-IR) of rats fed a high-fructose diet supplemented with 1% GSE were significantly lower than that of a high-fructose diet group. In the oral glucose tolerance test, rats fed a high-fructose diet supplemented with 1% GSE had a significantly reduced plasma glucose and insulin concentrations after 15min of glucose loading, indicating that GSE improved glucose intolerance. In addition, fed rats fed a high-fructose diet supplemented with 1% GSE markedly increased activity of hepatic superoxide dismutase, catalase, and suppressed lipid peroxidation when compared to rats fed a high-fructose diet. However, rats fed a high-fructose diet supplemented with GSE were not found to have a significant change in the activity of hepatic glutathione peroxidase. In conclusion, intake of GSE may be a feasible therapeutic strategy for prevention of a high-fructose diet-induced insulin resistance and oxidative stress.

Comment: The moral of this update, if there is one, is to get a handle on insulin resistance by whatever means necessary. Failure to do so will have a comprising effect on your health, hair and hair loss interventions."