To the poster "Diffused" re: Putting body hair into donor

Diffused,

In response to your question:

It is possible to rehabilitate with body hair depleted donors in patients that have had their donor areas decimated by old styled punch plug surgeries as well as patients that have had poorly executed strip HT:

http://dermhairclinic.com/dhc_galdetail.aspx?id=20
http://dermhairclinic.com/dhc_galdetail.aspx?id=24

In the intance of my patients (see examples above), BHT was done several years after the ill-fated harvestation process.

Adding body hair to FUE extraction holes has been proposed as:

1. A farming process whereby body hair is placed in the rich milieu of scalp donor area on the premise that scalp donor areas would enhance the acquisition of scalp-like qualities. The transformed body hair are subsequently relocated to the balding areas.
  2. As you have proposed: over harvesting good quality head hair from the back and sides of the head and replacing them with arguably poorer quality body hair.

There are potential problems with both of these assumptions:

The first premise assumes that indeed body hair would assume scalp-hair characteristics once placed on the head. It also assumes that this transformation stands a better chance of occurring in the donor areas of the head when compared to the bald areas. Emerging data suggests that while body hair “may” gain in length when transferred to the head, the other important parameter “caliber” does not change. There is no evidence supporting that even that would happen in the donor areas to any different degree than they would in the bald areas.

Finally, when you plant a body hair grafts into fresh FUE extraction holes, chances are that the FUE holes are too large for a snug fit. This raises questions of graft death/take, pitting, encystation etc. To forestall these problems in a path less paved with errors, if body hair is to be used on donor areas, it should be done at a later time using deliberately created slits that are customized to the size of the body hair graft.

In summary it helps to:

1. Keep FUE extractions as small as possible to avoid the need for reparative measures like the implantation of body hair.

2. Harvest the donor area to the extent that scalp like appearance is retained. If it can be helped, you so not want the donor area too thin either.

3. Again, if body hair is to be implanted into FUE extraction sites, , it should be done at a later time using deliberately created slits that are customized to the body hair graft.

On the final question of shock loss in donor areas:

If you have globally diffused hair loss that affects the donor areas as well, you may want to have some basic check up before hair transplantation. If you have a lot of hair that was destined to miniaturize in the donor areas, shock loss may result in these areas from the FUE extraction process itself, for reasons that are along the lines of shock loss that results in the recipient areas from the trauma of recipient slit preparation. Remember that the FUE extraction tool/wound is larger than the recipient slits created by the stab wounds of blade/needle points. Shock loss is not a factor of graft implantation, but more a function of injury to adjacent hair from slit creation or in this case hair extraction…

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything clarified further.

Regards,

S. Umar, M.D., FAAD
DermHair Clinic
Redondo Beach, California
+1-310-318-1500
1-877-DERMHAIR (US residents)
info@dermhairclinic.com
NEW WEBSITE www.dermhairclinic.com
Single Follicule Extraction & Transfer (SFET)
Using Head and Body hair

For more SFET-FUE and BHT results go to www.dermhairclinic.com

» Diffused,
»
» In response to your question:
»
» It is possible to rehabilitate with body hair depleted donors in patients
» that have had their donor areas decimated by old styled punch plug
» surgeries as well as patients that have had poorly executed strip HT:
»
»
»
» http://dermhairclinic.com/dhc_galdetail.aspx?id=20
» http://dermhairclinic.com/dhc_galdetail.aspx?id=24
»
» In the intance of my patients (see examples above), BHT was done several
» years after the ill-fated harvestation process.
»
» Adding body hair to FUE extraction holes has been proposed as:
»
» 1. A farming process whereby body hair is placed in the rich milieu of
» scalp donor area on the premise that scalp donor areas would enhance the
» acquisition of scalp-like qualities. The transformed body hair are
» subsequently relocated to the balding areas.
» 2. As you have proposed: over harvesting good quality head hair from the
» back and sides of the head and replacing them with arguably poorer quality
» body hair.
»
»
» There are potential problems with both of these assumptions:
»
» The first premise assumes that indeed body hair would assume scalp-hair
» characteristics once placed on the head. It also assumes that this
» transformation stands a better chance of occurring in the donor areas of
» the head when compared to the bald areas. Emerging data suggests that
» while body hair “may” gain in length when transferred to the head, the
» other important parameter “caliber” does not change. There is no evidence
» supporting that even that would happen in the donor areas to any different
» degree than they would in the bald areas.
»
»
» Finally, when you plant a body hair grafts into fresh FUE extraction
» holes, chances are that the FUE holes are too large for a snug fit. This
» raises questions of graft death/take, pitting, encystation etc. To
» forestall these problems in a path less paved with errors, if body hair is
» to be used on donor areas, it should be done at a later time using
» deliberately created slits that are customized to the size of the body
» hair graft.
»
» In summary it helps to:
»
» 1. Keep FUE extractions as small as possible to avoid the need for
» reparative measures like the implantation of body hair.
»
» 2. Harvest the donor area to the extent that scalp like appearance is
» retained. If it can be helped, you so not want the donor area too thin
» either.
»
» 3. Again, if body hair is to be implanted into FUE extraction sites, , it
» should be done at a later time using deliberately created slits that are
» customized to the body hair graft.
»
»
» On the final question of shock loss in donor areas:
»
» If you have globally diffused hair loss that affects the donor areas as
» well, you may want to have some basic check up before hair
» transplantation. If you have a lot of hair that was destined to
» miniaturize in the donor areas, shock loss may result in these areas from
» the FUE extraction process itself, for reasons that are along the lines of
» shock loss that results in the recipient areas from the trauma of recipient
» slit preparation. Remember that the FUE extraction tool/wound is larger
» than the recipient slits created by the stab wounds of blade/needle
» points. Shock loss is not a factor of graft implantation, but more a
» function of injury to adjacent hair from slit creation or in this case
» hair extraction…
»
»
» I hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything clarified further.
»
» Regards,
»
»
» S. Umar, M.D., FAAD
» DermHair Clinic
» Redondo Beach, California
» +1-310-318-1500
» 1-877-DERMHAIR (US residents)
» info@dermhairclinic.com
» NEW WEBSITE www.dermhairclinic.com
» Single Follicule Extraction & Transfer (SFET)
» Using Head and Body hair
»
» For more SFET-FUE and BHT results go to www.dermhairclinic.com

This is just FIT farming, Dr. Cole has been doing it for years now.

»
» Adding body hair to FUE extraction holes has been proposed as:
»
» 1. A farming process whereby body hair is placed in the rich milieu of
» scalp donor area on the premise that scalp donor areas would enhance the
» acquisition of scalp-like qualities. The transformed body hair are
» subsequently relocated to the balding areas.
» 2. As you have proposed: over harvesting good quality head hair from the
» back and sides of the head and replacing them with arguably poorer quality
» body hair.

What?

Who proposes these things? FIT farming is proposed as a way to help increase the density of the donor after harvesting and to fill the extraction sites to aid in healing. Some of the THEORETICAL applications are that the body hair will take on scalp-like characteristics and can be used for future transplants. This has never been done, and has never been guaranteed.

In no way should FIT farming ever be used as an excuse to over harvest the donor.

Removing a scalp hair and replacing it with a body hair is not an equal exchange. The body hair will grow back thinner, finer, and shorter. The yield of body hair is also lower than that of scalp hair within a one year period.

»
» Finally, when you plant a body hair grafts into fresh FUE extraction
» holes, chances are that the FUE holes are too large for a snug fit. This
» raises questions of graft death/take, pitting, encystation etc. To
» forestall these problems in a path less paved with errors, if body hair is
» to be used on donor areas, it should be done at a later time using
» deliberately created slits that are customized to the size of the body
» hair graft.
»

Again, you misunderstand. The extraction sites are allowed to shrink before inserting BHT. Fresh sites are not always suitable, depending on the size of the BHT. As you know from your experience, some body hairs are closely comparable to the size of scalp hairs. The depth of the extractions sites are adjusted to fit the anagen BHT. This customizes the diameter and depth to adequately accept the body hair graft. These complications that you mention are only an issue if poor technique is used.

» In summary it helps to:
»
» 1. Keep FUE extractions as small as possible to avoid the need for
» reparative measures like the implantation of body hair.

FIT farming is not an excuse to use over sized tools. Where are you getting this from? Fit farming is not a repair, it is an aid, more along the lines of donor sealing that reconstructive surgery.

» 2. Harvest the donor area to the extent that scalp like appearance is
» retained. If it can be helped, you so not want the donor area too thin
» either.

In no way should FIT farming ever be used as an excuse to over harvest the donor. In extreme repair cases, the patient will sacrifice donor density in order to have extensive repair to scarring from lifts or transfers. This is rare. Dr. Cole and Dr. Mwamba would not allow the typical patient to over deplete the donor even if FIT farming is involved.

» 3. Again, if body hair is to be implanted into FUE extraction sites, , it
» should be done at a later time using deliberately created slits that are
» customized to the body hair graft.
»

This is certainly an option, but not the only option.

»
» If you have globally diffused hair loss that affects the donor areas as
» well, you may want to have some basic check up before hair
» transplantation.

True.

» If you have a lot of hair that was destined to miniaturize in the donor areas, shock loss may result in these areas from
» the FUE extraction process itself, for reasons that are along the lines of
» shock loss that results in the recipient areas from the trauma of recipient
» slit preparation. Remember that the FUE extraction tool/wound is larger
» than the recipient slits created by the stab wounds of blade/needle
» points. Shock loss is not a factor of graft implantation, but more a
» function of injury to adjacent hair from slit creation or in this case
» hair extraction…
»

Physiological responses can also cause the hair to experience shock even if there is no physical trauma to the hair itself. In my experience, FUE/FIT extraction does not damage adjacent follicles. If shock loss is to occur in the donor area, it will most likely be due to the patient’s physiological response, not due to trauma.

Jessica,
I have seen many post over time on this concept of FIT farming. Admittedly I’ve never truly understood why it is necessary if proper extraction is done on an area to start with and there is low risk of visual scarring . The concept appears to be somewhat similar to the donor sealing method with the exception that you are using live follicles to reimplant .

I am trying to figure out if the issue at hand is diameter of the extraction site during extraction and concern post healing resulting in a thinning appearance . It seems this would be the only reason to need such a procedure . I guess what I’m saying or asking is why is it needed?

I experienced the 'white dot syndrome/mothball appearance ’ from punch grafts years ago from your clinic during the early era of FUE . Knowing exactly what these sites look like post extraction I can in theory see where there would be benefit of replanting body hair into these extraction areas if there was concern of future scarring especially with punch grafts . I’m guessing one would need 2 or 3 body hair in each scalp extraction graft to try and offer any sort of equal coverage. What time line is necessary to allow proper closure via coagulation of the extraction site which allows fitting of body hair ? Depending on the instrumentation used and size of extraction site it would seem this to be a timely process before BHT could be reimplanted .

The other question that comes to mind does a patient have to pay for these body hair grafts to be extracted and placed into a scalp donor extraction site? If so that in itself would seem to have a huge limiting effect . Implantation into the Norwood area is costly enough and I cant imagine paying to get the donor area transplanted.

Do you have any ‘FIT Farming’ photos from patients who have benefited from the procedure. This would help to gain and understand the rationale with a visual perspective. Again the concept and need has always been a bit unusual to me so I hope my questions are not too confusing .

17,000 BHT grafts by Dr Umar
www.myhairtransformation.com

The concept or procedure of replenishing the scalp with BH has never worked in theory or with any actual patients. This is the same problem that is associated with BH transplants claims being made by doctors. I can recall many patients in the past that posted about being charged for this type work and had no growth or results. Please remember that most of the posters on this forum are paid employees of a doctor or clinic and there main objective is to promote and convince future patients that what there doctor does is different and works even when it is not the case.

The idea of FIT farming came about when working with extreme repair cases. People who have had excessive scarring and very unnatural results after scalp lifts, numerous sessions of the old punch grafts, etc. FIT farming is originally not for the typical hair transplants. It was for working with people who have little to no donor left, but much scarring to deal with.

We all know that scalp hair looks and grows much better than body hair. There are some great body hair cases out there, but scalp grows faster, has higher yield, is more dependable, and looks more natural.

For someone with no scalp donor left, but a lot of scarring and unnatural transplants to correct, it leaves them without hope. For the hair line and other main features that necessitate a natural appearance, scalp hair is preferred. Body hair can be mixed in to add volume.

When there is no donor, but some scalp hair is needed, we came up with FIT farming as a solution for the patients who have no other choice.

FIT farming is NOT for large punches, NOT over harvesting the donor, or whatever spin you want to put on it.

After we used FIT farming on the extreme cases, we offer it to others as an option. We keep the price high because it is still a new procedure with risks of low yield. If the price is high, it encourages patients to really consider and educate themselves on this choice.

For a typical FIT procedure, FIT farming is not needed. It is only an extra option for those who like the idea. FIT farming is also a solution for those who were previously deemed irreparable.

You mean to tell me that doctors are still charging and selling this procedure when there has never been proven results of any kind over the last several years. Tell me, how do you justify a patient paying for this type work with what you just said in your post. You would never spend money for this type work yourself, why do you tell others too? Why are you misleading patients about this, would you get fired if you told the truth?

» You mean to tell me that doctors are still charging and selling this
» procedure when there has never been proven results of any kind over the
» last several years. Tell me, how do you justify a patient paying for this
» type work with what you just said in your post. You would never spend
» money for this type work yourself, why do you tell others too? Why are
» you misleading patients about this, would you get fired if you told the
» truth?

Fit farming is new - it hasn’t been used for “several years”. It is mandatory that patients are made aware of this during consultations.

I did not tell others to spend money on this. It is a person’s own decision what to spend their money on. In another thread, some one asked about the procedure, and I answered his question. On this thread, Dr. Umar posted some things that were not quite right, so I tried to clear up some misconceptions.

If some one in my family wanted a hair transplant, I would make them aware of all of their options, including FIT farming. I would recommend it based on their situation. In some cases, the donor is thick or not much hair is needed - then FIT farming would not be an appropriate option.

FIT farming is an option. If people want to explore this option, I will answer their questions.

The best approach, in my opinion, when considering newer procedures is to educate yourself as much as possible, and try a small session as a test. Then you can judge the results for yourself.

I’m not a salesman, Bushy. I just answer questions.

Heliboy,

All of your confusion is based on your initial statement:

» I’ve never truly understood why it is necessary if proper extraction is
» done on an area to start with and there is low risk of visual scarring .

It is not necessary. Proper extraction is done even when there is intent to do FIT farming.

If you start trying to figure things out and piece together a scenario before correcting your initial assumption, you will most definitely be confused and wary.

The best thing to do is to ask questions and be well informed before making decisions or assumptions. If something doesn’t seem right, ask.

So let me get this right. Your are ok selling a procedure to a patient when you know it does not work. What kind of person or clinic would knowingly mislead a patient, one that is all about the money I guess? This procedure has been done for many years and it is not new, please do not tell lies to cover up the truth.

» So let me get this right. Your are ok selling a procedure to a patient
» when you know it does not work. What kind of person or clinic would
» knowingly mislead a patient, one that is all about the money I guess?
» This procedure has been done for many years and it is not new, please do
» not tell lies to cover up the truth.

I am sort of with you on this but…

1: This is pretty much the same for all BHT which remains unpredictable. when you think about it, it is much more of an ethical question that brain surgeons or cardiac surgeons can charge $100,000 for complex operations that they know have 50% chance of success or even a 10% chance of killing someone knowing that the patient may lose their life if they do not take risk due to a life threatening disease. difficult one!!!

2: Dr. Cole has dropped his prices for FUE to $6 / FU which is quite competitive.

The question is, who pays for the advancement of the science, the patient or the surgeon when both may benefit. I don’t think there is an answer but it is the patients choice.

I think that your concern is whether the patient is being deceived by surgeons that underplay the risk.

» » So let me get this right. Your are ok selling a procedure to a patient
» » when you know it does not work. What kind of person or clinic would
» » knowingly mislead a patient, one that is all about the money I guess?
» » This procedure has been done for many years and it is not new, please
» do
» » not tell lies to cover up the truth.
»
» I am sort of with you on this but…
»
» 1: This is pretty much the same for all BHT which remains unpredictable.
» when you think about it, it is much more of an ethical question that brain
» surgeons or cardiac surgeons can charge $100,000 for complex operations
» that they know have 50% chance of success or even a 10% chance of killing
» someone knowing that the patient may lose their life if they do not take
» risk due to a life threatening disease. difficult one!!!
»
» 2: Dr. Cole has dropped his prices for FUE to $6 / FU which is quite
» competitive.
»
» The question is, who pays for the advancement of the science, the patient
» or the surgeon when both may benefit. I don’t think there is an answer but
» it is the patients choice.
»
» I think that your concern is whether the patient is being deceived by
» surgeons that underplay the risk.

Thank you marco, I couldn’t have said it better.

Bush, I will not defend myself for something that I have not said or done.

It is incorrect to say that FIT farming does not work. It does and it has, but we have not seen enough evidence to be able to guarantee it for everyone. With FIT farming, we have seen a range of success from good to poor. In some cases, the donor looks much better and in others, there is not much of a visible difference.

This is why the price is high - to encourage patients to really inform themselves and be aware of the risks and benefits before moving forward with a new type of procedure. Yes, FIT farming is indeed a new procedure because we have only been doing it for less than two years, from what I remember. Because BHT can take 1-2 years to grow, it is still too early to be able to guarantee the procedure.

But, to take FIT farming off the market this early in the game is not a standard of practice. Even procedures like Strip and FUE were new procedures at one time.

“On this thread, Dr. Umar posted some things that were not quite right, so I tried to clear up some misconceptions.”

My statements are based on medical principles, and I would be glad to clarify any confusion with regards to these statements which were made in response to a direct question posed to me and another physician. However you have a disclaimer to your signature and appear not to speak from a position of authority for your clinic or a physician.

S. Umar, M.D., FAAD
DermHair Clinic
Redondo Beach, California
+1-310-318-1500
1-877-DERMHAIR (US residents)
info@dermhairclinic.com
NEW WEBSITE www.dermhairclinic.com
Single Follicule Extraction & Transfer (SFET)
Using Head and Body hair

For more SFET-FUE and BHT results go to www.dermhairclinic.com

» “On this thread, Dr. Umar posted some things that were not quite right, so
» I tried to clear up some misconceptions.”
»
»
» My statements are based on medical principles, and I would be glad to
» clarify any confusion with regards to these statements…

OK. I am waiting for your clarifications.

Jessica,

Dr. Umar was the only doctor to reply to Diffused. And it was a very detailed response. So I think some credit should be given to the good doctor for sharing information with someone that had asked for help.

And, for any post, I always think that it is good that other people share their experiences and opinions also. That’s what a forum is all about. I have enjoyed reading your posts throughout hairsite and I have come to value the opinions and perspectives. And I hope that I get to continue reading them.

But, in this case, I think that it is possible to offer an opinion without appearing to “attack” a doctor. One of your posts in another thread said something like “Can’t we all get along.” I think that is a good perspective. I think the goal is to share knowledge, not necessarily to determine who is right and who is wrong.

When I hear a quote like

“On this thread, Dr. Umar posted some things that were not quite right, so I tried to clear up some misconceptions.”

It is stated with such confidence that it sounds like another doctor making an opinion.

Since I am not a doctor, I always try things like “In my opinion” or “My understanding was …” or “I had a question about”.

And as a person reading and relying on these forums it does make a big difference to me who is the source of the information.

So, after saying that, IMO, Dr. Umar’s initial response sounds reasonable to me. And I value your perspective as well.

My understanding is that fit farming is a means to hide lager FUE extractions from the time some clinics used large instruments for their FUE grafts. It is unnecessary for good FUE doctors (like Dr. Umar and others) to worry about fit farming with their work.

I am thankful the good doctor shares his knowledge with us and I hope he and the other doctors continue to do so. I also hope that you continue to share your experiences and I will certainly do the same.

And, concerning another item mentioned in this thread, it is my understanding that Dr. Cole brought down his prices after Dr. Umar and other doctors became major players in the business. The market place and competition is a good thing for the patients.

Jessica,
I think that you need to leave the explanations of procedures to Dr Cole or other surgeons in your office.

You made mention of your study : are any pictures available for viewing to see the effect of the study . It might be interesting as I have never seen the effect of this procedure before.

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum_entry.php?id=2210&page=0&category=0&order=last_answer

Dr Umar- 17,000 BHT grafts by Dr Umar
www.myhairtransformation.com

Dr. Umar,

I’ve been involved in hair restoration surgery for over 15 years. Time has taught me one thing. Physicians have different opinions and different solutions.

Body hair in general does take on characteristics of the scalp. It typically will grow twice as long on the scalp as it did on the body. It’s growth rate increases when moved to the scalp.

Shock loss can occur from slits and it is has nothing to do with damage to the follicles. It is most likely a reaction to inflammation. It is more likely with dense packing than with lower densities.

The primary cause for poor growth with body hair is density. You should not be doing sessions exceeding 30 grafts per sq cm. This means 4000 to 6000 grafts in a session is the largest procedure you should be doing.

Extraction holes work wonderfully with body hair in FIT farming. They actually work better than slits, though slits work fine too. For that matter needle sites work well too. FIT farming not only re-populates the donor with hair (granted it is not the same quality as head hair), it also repopulates the area with melanin. Removal of head hair reduces the need for blood flow to the hair. This decrease in blood flow eliminates skin color. FIT farming adds hair so it also creates a requirement for blood flow to the hair and this too helps to create skin color.

Extraction sites appear larger than really are the when the graft is immediately removed. The extraction sites contract the first night and provide a very snug fit around fit farm hair. I do not see patients loose the fit farm hair at night when they sleep.

There is still quite a bit we need to learn about body hair transplanted to the scalp and to the donor area. I’m quite certain that ideas and techniques will change over time.

The primary problem with FUE, FIT, FUSE, etc., is that when you remove an intact follicular unit, you leave a gap. It is much better to put something in its place. In my experience FIT farmed donor areas look better than those that were not FIT farmed. Only God is perfect however. If I were looking for he Rolls Royce of procedures today, I would not look for a strip. I would look for a proven, successful means of individual follicular group removal. If you want to take it a step further, and you do not mind performing a similar procedure on your body hair, Fit Farming is good idea. Patients should be left to ponder their options and make their own decisions. Of course body hair is not nearly as good as scalp hair, but the supply of scalp hair is unfortunately quite limited. Therefore, we either have to look for ways to squeeze a little more scalp hair out of the donor area, or we have to use hair that is not as good quality wise (body hair).

I’ve been monitoring the rate of hair growth of body hair moved to the scalp and comparing it to the rate of growth on the body.

We know that the length increases to about twice its length original length when moved to scalp, if the hair grows. The questions proposed from this are whether the rate of growth increases or whether the duration of growth increases. I cannot yet comment about the latter, but our studies to date show that leg hair on the leg has a rate of growth of 0.3 mm per day, while leg hair on the scalp increases to 0.35mm per day. According to olsen, body and beard grow at 0.27 mm per day, while scalp hair grows at 0.37 to 0 .44 mm per day.

Please post the professional articles that support your claim about melanin being increased by placing BH on the scalp. Never heard this before.

» Please post the professional articles that support your claim about melanin
» being increased by placing BH on the scalp. Never heard this before.

Bush, surely we cannot expect everything that a surgeon has experienced to be published in a peer reviewed journal. They are meant to be breaking new ground. That’s what we ask of them. If they had to publish before they speak then we could never ask their opinions or get ahead of the game. Publication is a pain in the **s and takes quite a bit of time out. Be equally suspicious of anyone who publishes everything they say because they are often politically motivated and not getting on with the job. Believe me publication is no proof of validity, peer reviewed or not. Authors, and referees are all as corrupt or mislead as each other.

I think Dr. cole has been very clear that his observations relate to HIS experience. We want the surgeons to give us their thoughts so we can think and compare. For goodness sake, you sound like you think Dr. Cole is your student although it is possible that I completely misunderstood your tone. BTW, I am not a stooge for Dr. Cole or anyone else. I’m just trying to suck up to them all so I can get a cheap transplant.:wink:

Anyway here is about as close as you will get in the literature. Melanin incontinence means that it is leaking to the surrounding tissue.

J Invest Dermatol. 2000 Aug;115(2):200-6. Links
Histologic and cell kinetic studies of hair loss and subsequent recovery process of human scalp hair follicles grafted onto severe combined immunodeficient mice.

Hashimoto T, Kazama T, Ito M, Urano K, Katakai Y, Yamaguchi N, Ueyama Y.
Department of Dermatology, Niigata University School of Medicine, Niigata, Japan.

To establish a model for studying human scalp hair, individually isolated hair follicles were grafted onto back skin of severe combined immunodeficient mice. Histologic changes and cell kinetics in the hair loss and subsequent recovery process were investigated. In the dystrophic stage (from day 7 to 30), all the hair shafts became dystrophic and were shed. Thickening and corrugation of vitreous membrane, apoptosis, and regression of the lower part were observed in the grafted hair follicles. 5-bromo-2’-deoxy-uridine-labeled cells were not detected in the lower end of the follicles, and keratin 19-positive cells appeared there. At the end of this stage their lower part was maximally retracted, secondary germ remained beneath the bulge, and the vitreous membrane disappeared. In the regeneration stage (from day 30 to 50), the same histologic findings as those at the end of the dystrophic stage were observed. The keratin 19-positive cells in the secondary germ, however, were replaced with keratin 19-negative and 5-bromo-2’-deoxy-uridine-labeled cells. Then, differentiation into an inner root sheath and a hair shaft began, and apoptosis was terminated. In the stable growth stage (from day 40 to at least 150), the grafted follicles were immunohistochemically and light microscopically identical with the normal anagen hair follicles ***** except for the presence of melanin incontinence. ******* These findings suggest that the grafted hair follicles entered into dystrophic catagen, subsequently dystrophic telogen, then returned to normal anagen follicles, and that stem cells or their close progeny in the secondary germ play an important part in the recovery process.

» Jessica,
»
» Dr. Umar was the only doctor to reply to Diffused. And it was a very
» detailed response. So I think some credit should be given to the good
» doctor for sharing information with someone that had asked for help.
»
» And, for any post, I always think that it is good that other people share
» their experiences and opinions also. That’s what a forum is all about. I
» have enjoyed reading your posts throughout hairsite and I have come to
» value the opinions and perspectives. And I hope that I get to continue
» reading them.
»
» But, in this case, I think that it is possible to offer an opinion without
» appearing to “attack” a doctor. One of your posts in another thread said
» something like “Can’t we all get along.” I think that is a good
» perspective. I think the goal is to share knowledge, not necessarily to
» determine who is right and who is wrong.
»
» When I hear a quote like
»
» “On this thread, Dr. Umar posted some things that were not quite right, so
» I tried to clear up some misconceptions.”
»
» It is stated with such confidence that it sounds like another doctor
» making an opinion.
»
» Since I am not a doctor, I always try things like “In my opinion” or “My
» understanding was …” or “I had a question about”.
»
» And as a person reading and relying on these forums it does make a big
» difference to me who is the source of the information.
»
» So, after saying that, IMO, Dr. Umar’s initial response sounds reasonable
» to me. And I value your perspective as well.
»
» My understanding is that fit farming is a means to hide lager FUE
» extractions from the time some clinics used large instruments for their
» FUE grafts. It is unnecessary for good FUE doctors (like Dr. Umar and
» others) to worry about fit farming with their work.
»
» I am thankful the good doctor shares his knowledge with us and I hope he
» and the other doctors continue to do so. I also hope that you continue to
» share your experiences and I will certainly do the same.
»
» And, concerning another item mentioned in this thread, it is my
» understanding that Dr. Cole brought down his prices after Dr. Umar and
» other doctors became major players in the business. The market place and
» competition is a good thing for the patients.

I’m sorry, but I don’t know what else to do when someone posts something that is the opposite of what is happening. How can I help people from being misled?

I’ve seen FIT farming help people who previously could not be helped. It hurts me to see someone completely misunderstand and put a spin on the situation to make us look bad and evil. And judging from some of the posts, its working - you believe the purpose is to hide something bad, which is not true. I was there in the OR when we began using the technique.

I have been working with Drs. Cole, Bridges, and Mwamba since January 2005 as a surgical tech. I’m not a sales person, I’m not trying to trick any one, I am just sharing my surgical experiences and the knowledge that I earned directly from the surgeons. I am authorized to speak about our procedures and answer surgical questions. For those who are so concerned on this subject, I am salaried, I earn no commissions.

I won’t post anymore on this thread because it seems like that is what you want. The truth is in my posts above, so there’s no need to reiterate.