To the poster "Diffused" re: Putting body hair into donor

Interesting comments, Marco.

Hair grafts have been used in the past to populate areas of vitiligo with melanin. I’ve used them for years to make white strip and scalp reduction scars appear more like natural skin as oppossed to white streaks of scar tissue. i’ve also placed them into vitiligo areas of the face.

I don’t see where Dr. Umar is making fun of your signature. Your signature reads that you are not a doctor. The original question was posed to Dr. Umar and other doctors.

You stated that some information Dr. Umar posted on this thread was not “quite right.”

You challenged Dr. Umar’s statements he made in response to a question directed to an MD, a physician, not a lab technician.

No fun was poked at your “signature.” Just the truth; you’re not a doctor, and conventional wisdom dictates that you do not have the credentials, education, nor experience to challenge, with any credence, any statements he posts.

With all dude respect you drew first blood, and your unsolicited and meritless remark to Dr. Umar was the one that was “childish” and “unprofessional.”

Dr Cole,

It is natural for physicians to have diverging opinions. The history of our field is replete with this. Healthy debate has been a major stimulus for growth in mainstream medicine. I see no reason why this should not be the case amongst the physicians engaged in the procedure of hair restoration.

There appears to be an agreement on the fact that an increase in length may (not always) occur with body hair relocation. And I do not see a diverging opinion on the fact that caliber (a key contributor to volume and coverage) is typically unmoved.

There appears to be agreement that shock loss occurs from the injury that occurs during slit preparation rather than the actual placement of a graft. When a slit or a punch injury is inflicted to an area adjacent to a pre-existing hair, the trauma generates an inflammatory response that could result in shock loss. The chances are increased if the pre-existing hair is physically injured in the process. Also, larger injuries would result in relatively more inflammation. Larger punch injuries would result in more infalmmation relative to finer blade/needle tip stab injuries.

There appears to be agreement that body hair would grow in head donor areas. I have shown in the leading post 2 patients that have benefited from such a procedure.

However, we seem to have differing opinions on the best time for transplantation of the donor area of the scalp. I am of the opinion that in any hands, the larger wounds left in the wake of some FUE extraction sites would not optimally fit an often finer/often shorter body hair follicle (smaller diameter) to the extent that allows for imbibition, neovascularization, etc. to occur optimally. It is my opinion that the duration that elapses during a single clinic visit would not have been long enough to change the odds for the graft to optimally thrive. In other words, the degree of shrinkage and the organized blood clot or vacuous space into which the grafts would be placed does not present the perfect milieu for optimal graft take. Given the size mismatch and the location of the recipient (back and sides of the head) which is subject to disruptions at sleep/rest times, the chances of graft displacement including insetting with resulting pitting and encystations is not optimally controlled for. In all while some grafts would take, the chances would be optimized further by deferring the procedure all together to a different timeline.

I have read of FIT-farming for some time, but there appears to be a paucity of photo documentation of the procedure, including before, inta-operative and post-operative-result photos. I would be most appreciative if you could present some photographic evidence of several instances of this.

Regarding limits to session sizes; my positive experience with 9000+ BHT cases thus far does not support the 5000-6000 graft limit as the reason for poor yield that may have been cited for poor outcomes in some BHT megasessions. Several factors could account for poor yield.

As for studies, many variables go into determining the outcome of a study. I have found that a lot has to do with the design of a study and the interpretation that follows subsequently.

The principles for repigmentation of skin is another aspect of dermatology that I would hope to discuss some other time.

S. Umar, M.D., FAAD
DermHair Clinic
Redondo Beach, California
+1-310-318-1500
1-877-DERMHAIR (US residents)
info@dermhairclinic.com
NEW WEBSITE www.dermhairclinic.com
Single Follicule Extraction & Transfer (SFET)
Using Head and Body hair

For more SFET-FUE and BHT results go to www.dermhairclinic.com

» Regarding limits to session sizes; my positive experience with 9000+ BHT
» cases thus far

Dr. Umar

Did you acually mean that you have performed 9000+ BHT or is that a typo???

Regards,
Marco

» » Regarding limits to session sizes; my positive experience with 9000+ BHT
» » cases thus far
»
» Dr. Umar
»
» Did you acually mean that you have performed 9000+ BHT or is that a
» typo???
»
» Regards,
» Marco

Marco, I think he means sessions of 9,000 BHT grafts at a single visit over multiple days.

» » » Regarding limits to session sizes; my positive experience with 9000+
» BHT
» » » cases thus far
» »
» » Dr. Umar
» »
» » Did you acually mean that you have performed 9000+ BHT or is that a
» » typo???
» »
» » Regards,
» » Marco
»
» Marco, I think he means sessions of 9,000 BHT grafts at a single visit
» over multiple days.

Oh, I see it now. That is quite funny. I was begining to think he was the most prolific surgeon in history. :yes:

» » Regarding limits to session sizes; my positive experience with 9000+ BHT
» » cases thus far
»
» Dr. Umar
»
» Did you acually mean that you have performed 9000+ BHT or is that a
» typo???
»
» Regards,
» Marco

Marco,

Checkinin is correct; here are case examples depicting early results of ~9000+ BHT sessions. They were both done in a single visit over the course of 7-8 consecutive days:

Case 1 (patient “NT”)
http://www.hairsite4.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=54512&mode=full

Case 2 (patient “SO”)
http://dermhairclinic.com/dhc_galdetail.aspx?id=17

Regards,

S. Umar, M.D., FAAD
DermHair Clinic
+1-310-318-1500
info@dermhairclinic.com
Using Head and Body hair

Thanks for the detailed reply Dr Umar.

And thanks to Dr Cole, Jessica and all other posters for their input.

After reading all the posts i think i can safely conclude that putting body hair into the donor sites is relatively new with varying results and is probably better suited to repair patients.

Also, as Heliboy mentions the cost can be a huge factor. For a Diffuse thinner like myself it is probably best to have a consultation with a professional in person first.

Heliboy - my hair is almost exactly like yours used to be with a Hairpiece on top but only one Strip scar. If i could get results like your i’d be extatic :slight_smile:

I’m stuck between getting another strip for good frontal coverage whilst creating a thinner scar at the same time, then FUE/BHT into the remainder or just going for a full on FUE / BHT first time.

Dr Umar - do u offer online consultations?

»
» After reading all the posts i think i can safely conclude that putting
» body hair into the donor sites is relatively new with varying results and
» is probably better suited to repair patients.
»
» Also, as Heliboy mentions the cost can be a huge factor. For a Diffuse
» thinner like myself it is probably best to have a consultation with a
» professional in person first.
»

I think you have the right idea. :slight_smile:

Diffused,
I appreciate the compliment and it has been so nice to get back to a normal life again after all of Dr Umar’s efforts to repair my scalp.

Strip procedures are beneficial from certain standpoints (mostly financial and time in the office ) as we have seen from photos posted on this and other sites. Scalp hair is superior to body hair as we know as a first line option . If your balding area is as extensive as you have stated then be very careful . The strip procedures by some M.D’s now are superior without a doubt using the newer closure techniques and helping to minzimizing scarring. But you need to make sure that you consider the risk of further scar stretching as you continue to remove strips and the scalp tightens more each time. You never know when you will allow yourself to cut your hair close and strip scars limit many from doing this. FUE extractions do not have that concern so I only caution you as you are looking and outlining your future expectations.

17,000 Body Hair Grafts By Dr Umar
www.myhairtransformation.com

Hi Heliboy,

Thanks for the advise.

I figure tht a strip for the frontal 1/3 is good to thicken it up with scalp hair (see images below). My existing scar is already there so i already have the problem of going not being able to cut too short so that won’t make a difference.

Once the front is done i can Head FUE and BHT the back 2/3 of the scalp and FUE into the scar.

Excuse the quality but i have uploaded a few pics without the system. Image 226 is the Crown area with 10 days hair growth (the outlined part is the thinnest part).

Image 227 is the front behind the hairline with 10 days growth.

Image 228 is a side view shaved down for the syatem.

Dr Umar - can i arrange an online consult?

Diffused,

I conduct online consults free of charge. You can initiate the process by going to this page on my website:

http://dermhairclinic.com/dhc_consultation.aspx

Regards,

S. Umar, M.D., FAAD
DermHair Clinic
+1-310-318-1500
info@dermhairclinic.com
Using Head and Body hair