To tat,or not to tat..that is the question

In Australia, and I believe in most first world countries, Health Authorities gave themselves a great big pat on the back because they insisted that the tattoo parlours have sterile technique and autoclaves.
Great work guys…except for one little thing …the ink injected directly into the blood stream was , at times, unregulated, cooked up in back alley vats in India , China etc,

There has been more regulation of HOUSE PAINT, than what was being injected into your blood stream.

Mercury , lead, and bugs from circulating flies and mosquitoes etc are in the equation, and , as far as I know, and please correct me if I am wrong, there is still no fool proof regulatory authority .

I hope I am wrong … please correct me…

I just know, in my practice, everything must be 100% kosher and absolutely clean and sterile…

The media in Australia raised this issue.

Is the ink sterile, safe, and free of heavy metal contamination.

If anyone has info about this, please post it. I hope I am wrong

Dr Ray Woods

and of course Dr. Woods is right :slight_smile:

as far as I know the ink is not regulated in the US, there are actually a lot of controversies about toxicity issues of the ink and temporary ink in particular because it raises the question if the ink is temporary, then where does it go?

“While state and local authorities oversee the practice of tattooing, ink and ink colorings (pigments) used in tattoos are subject to FDA regulation as cosmetics and color additives. However, because of other public health priorities and a previous lack of evidence of safety concerns, FDA has not traditionally regulated tattoo inks or the pigments used in them.”

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by garyg[/postedby]
Think Before You Ink: Tattoo Safety | FDA

“While state and local authorities oversee the practice of tattooing, ink and ink colorings (pigments) used in tattoos are subject to FDA regulation as cosmetics and color additives. However, because of other public health priorities and a previous lack of evidence of safety concerns, FDA has not traditionally regulated tattoo inks or the pigments used in them.”[/quote]

Thankyou so much for that info.

And that is a shocking indictment.

As I said, HOUSE PAINT is more closely regulated for heavy metals than these inks directly injected into your bloodstream.

A patient came to see me and asked for advice regarding micropigmentation.

I told him to only see credible dermatologists and gave him some questions to ask.

He is a highly intelligent and successful man, and he returned to me, utterly shocked that NO ONE could give him a straight answer.

I would argue that there are more stringent sterility controls in a mobile meth lab than these alleys in third world slums cooking up this stuff. It probably comes in a paint tin, opened with a screw driver, and then poured into a “nice” professional looking bottle.

At least with meth , there are no heavy metals…don’t know for sure though.

A teacher at school once told me that the Roman Empire fell because the rulers were all drinking vino from lead cups, and cooking on lead pans… which lead to psychotic behaviour.

Thank god there is no weird psychotic behaviour in our society…and if there was, is it due to the fluoride in the water, aspertane…which comes from fertilizer chimneys…antidepressants ,which 25% of people are on… or neurotoxins in the sodapop.

So, the FDA has so many variables, it cant pin it on anything specifically, so , keep pumping in the mercury and lead.

And there is documentation of weird bugs in the ink as well.

tats all for now.

Dr Ray Woods

Regulations[edit]

In the United States, tattoo inks are subject to regulation by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration as cosmetics and color additives.[2] The FDA and medical practitioners have noted that many ink pigments used in tattoos are “industrial strength colors suitable for printers’ ink or automobile paint.”[3][4]

In California, Proposition 65 requires that Californians be warned before exposure to certain harmful chemicals;[5] tattoo parlors in California must warn their patrons that tattoo inks contain heavy metals known to cause cancer, birth defects, and other reproductive harm.[5]

This is from wikipaedia, but it seems credible sources are being quoted.

I know that once a donor source is depleted, and the result looks bad, a doctor may do some crazy stuff, like suggest artificial fibre insertion, or micropigmentation, to cover up the damage , or gaps, plugs, whatever.

Before any doctor does or suggests anything, first and foremost,

"DO NO HARM "

Dr Ray Woods

Interesting topic.

Yup, very interesting - and shocking - how can they not be stringently regulating this ???

As everyone knows, the head and neck are the most “vascular” areas on the body.

This means tattooing the scalp will cause a much greater spill of whatever is in the ink…and no one can be certain as to what is in it and at what concentration.

We do know heavy metals , carcinogens, and bacteria etc have been found, but as with most things, you can generalise by saying negative effects are dose related.

So if you weigh 150 kg and have an anchor on your bicep, that is one thing. I am sure popeyes speech impediment was not heavy metal related…? or was it…?

But having your head tattooed, the circulation is much greater, and blood absorption will be much greater.

Dr Ray Woods

dr woods, u are the messenger of death :slight_smile:

For my patients, I accept good advise from all.

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by Dr. Woods[/postedby]
I just know, in my practice, everything must be 100% kosher and …[/quote] What a bad taste comment.

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by Dr. Woods[/postedby]
I just know, in my practice, everything must be 100% kosher and …

[postedby]Originally Posted by bugler[/postedby] What a bad taste comment.[/quote]

If I said “100% halal”…would that be less offensive ?

A speaking of bad taste, in the Australian Parliament they tried to get the food industry to tell us what the heck all those “numbers” are on food packaging,

We don’t know what they are. And we still don’t . The food lobby won, and we have no right to know what is added to common food items.

Then of course the water has fluoride , the vaccines have mercury and squaline, and the list goes on.

Its off topic I know, but most people reading this know someone with cancer.

In 1900, 1 in 100 Americans died from cancer. Now, its 1 in 3.

…juz sayin’

Now, back to hair stuff.

And if I am wrong, please correct me , because it is enlightening and I welcome it

Dr Ray Woods

In 1900, life expectancy for men was about 48. Today, it’s about 80.

Thankyou for that info.

I am surprised by those stats but it is most significant.

I was told a few years ago by someone who worked in cancer research that the major concern was the huge increase of cancer in children ,teenagers, and middle aged people over the past few decades.

I don’t have hard figures, much is anecdotal, but you get the impression its correct. For instance, in Australia a prominent neurosurgeon has been constantly in the media warning of an unprecedented huge spike in teenagers with brain cancer. He related this to mobile phones. Most of the cancers were on the right side, because most people are right handed.

There have been numerous studies with varying results.

Bottom line however, is that I am disturbed by recent investigations and revelations about tattoo ink, and like most people, I had never previously thought about it. I just assumed that since the government regulates just about everything, they would have checked that as well.

Dr Ray Woods

Interesting discussion. Shouldn’t it be fairly easy to know if tattoo ink is linked to increased risk of cancer? If tattoo ink does cause caner, I suppose doctors treating cancer patients would have realized by now that the majority of their patients are people with tattoos, and surely doctors would have commented on that by now.

I don’t have any statistics to back this up but I do believe cancer cases have gone up sharply in the past decade or so, what I don’t understand is why?

We have done a lot of things right already, for example, fewer people smoking nowadays, we eat organic produce, use sunscreen, more conscious about diet and exercise etc, I can go on and on, cancer cases should be going down, not up!

As you age, your odds of contracting cancer go up. Overall, people are living longer, hence their risk of contracting some form of cancer, and dying from it, has gone way up. In the U.S., obesity rates are way up. People who are obese are at higher risk of contracting a cancer of their internal organs. Without going on and on, keep your weight under control and exercise, limit your alcohol intake and don’t smoke. Do that and your odds are improved.

The older you get , the higher the cancer. True.

But that is not the issue.

Its a massive spike in kids, teenagers, and middle aged people getting cancer, and particularly in in the last 20 years.

I have often had heated arguments with colleques when I put forward that plumbers, engineers, and government agencies overseeing the sewerage system and clean water have saved more lives than all the penicillin on earth.

In fact, the antibiotics in the live produce chain leaching into the ground water etc etc.

What does all this have to do with hair…NOTHING…its just making us all think, and ask questions…about everything , including hair.

Dr Ray Woods

It really is shocking that the FDA doesn’t regulate tattoo ink. I have also never seen a decent SMP result. All the dots have been too large and the colors mismatched the hair. People pay a lot of money for it. Doctors transplanted plugs of hair for around thirty years with horrible results and men still preferred that to baldness… at least until they had it done to themselves.

The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

There is a movie called “idiocracy”

It was directed and produced by Mr Judd…and two of the Wilson brothers starred in it.

The movie never made it to the big screens

Some critics gave it zero stars

Others gave it 5 stars

it is funny, and confronting

What does this to do with anything of relevance here…?

There is a scene where the FDA and all public regulatory authorities were BOUGHT by corporations.

Musolini called it “corparotism”…but just to confuse people, FASCISM was implaced…and no one reaqlly knew what that meant

The protection of the people is secondary to the profit maximization of the corporation.

what has this to do with hair…nothing we are just placing things of value in your head