The best herbs for hair loss

1. Too much can cause ulcers. Some posters at another forum reported a shedding of hair while taking over a gram a day. A possible reason for this:

"In organ culture, TRPV1 activation by capsaicin resulted in a dose-dependent and TRPV1-specific inhibition of hair shaft elongation, suppression of proliferation, induction of apoptosis, premature HF regression (catagen), and up-regulation of intrafollicular transforming growth factor-ß2.

Cultured human ORS keratinocytes also expressed functional TRPV1, whose stimulation inhibited proliferation, induced apoptosis, elevated intracellular calcium concentration, up-regulated known endogenous hair growth inhibitors (interleukin-1ß, transforming growth factor-ß2), and down-regulated known hair growth promoters (hepatocyte growth factor, insulin-like growth factor-I, stem cell factor)."

1. Cayenne pepper is inexpensive.

2. The above notwithstanding, it seems those hair loss sufferers may benefit from a combination of capsaicin and isoflavone. The following was contributed by Rooster: "Cayenne pepper at 3 to 4 grams a day along with a pill of soy isoflavones. The study that came out reported that 88 percent of the study participants had hair growth. Here are two studies, each one supports the other!

This study identifies some unique, rarely elucidated mechanisms by which capsaicin, a constituent of cayenne pepper, combined with soy, can stimulate hair growth.

Growth Horm IGF Res. 2007 Jun 12; [Epub ahead of print] Administration of capsaicin and isoflavone promotes hair growth by increasing insulin-like growth factor-I production in mice and in humans with alopecia. Harada N, Okajima K, Arai M, Kurihara H, Nakagata N.

Department of Translational Medical Science Research, Nagoya City University, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kawasumi 1, Mizuho-cho, Mizuho-ku, Nagoya 467-8601, Japan.

OBJECTIVE: Insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) plays an important role in hair growth. Capsaicin activates vanilloid receptor-1, thereby increasing the release of calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) from sensory neurons, and CGRP has been shown to increase IGF-I production. We recently reported that isoflavone, a phytoestrogen, increases production of CGRP by increasing its transcription in sensory neurons. These observations raise the possibility that administration of capsaicin and isoflavone might promote hair growth by increasing IGF-I production. In the present study, we examined this possibility in mice and humans with alopecia. DESIGN: Dermal IGF-I levels, immunohistochemical expression of IGF-I in the skin and hair regrowth were examined after capsaicin and isoflavone administration to wild-type (WT) mice and CGRP-knockout mice. Plasma levels of IGF-I and promotion of hair growth were evaluated in 48 volunteers with alopecia after administration of capsaicin and isoflavone for 5months. RESULTS: Subcutaneous administration of capsaicin significantly increased dermal IGF-I levels at 30min after administration in WT mice (p<0.01), but not in CGRP-knockout mice. Dermal levels of IGF-I were significantly higher in WT mice administered capsaicin and isoflavone for 4wks than in those administered capsaicin alone for 4wks (p<0.01) and in those administered neither of them (p<0.01). Immunohistochemical expression of IGF-I at dermal papillae in hair follicles was increased in WT mice administered capsaicin and isoflavone and in those administered capsaicin alone at 4wks. Hair regrowth was clearly more accelerated in WT mice administered capsaicin and isoflavone for 4wks than in those administered capsaicin alone for 4wks and in those administered neither of them. Plasma levels of IGF-I were significantly increased from baseline levels in 31 volunteers with alopecia at 5months after oral administration of capsaicin (6mg/day) and isoflavone (75mg/day) (p<0.01), while they were not increased in 17 volunteers with alopecia administered placebo. The number of volunteers with alopecia who showed promotion of hair growth at 5months after administration was significantly higher among volunteers administered capsaicin and isoflavone (20/31: 64.5%) than among those administered placebo (2/17: 11.8%) (p<0.01). CONCLUSIONS: These observations strongly suggested that combined administration of capsaicin and isoflavone might increase IGF-I production in hair follicles in the skin, thereby promoting hair growth. Such effects of capsaicin and isoflavone might be mediated by sensory neuron activation in the skin.

Note: "Twenty-five people with Androgenetic Alopecia were included in the volunteers with alopecia who were administered capsaicin and isoflavone in the present study and promotion of hair growth was observed in 88.0% of the 25 patients with AGA.

The recommended amount of cayenne pepper would be 1-3 grams, and the recommended amount of soy would be 1 capsule of Super Absorbable Soy Isoflavones,(approximately doubling the amount of isoflavones used in this study) for those looking to replicate this study for personal use. Cayenne pepper is widely and inexpensively available at most nutrition stores.

Cayenne Pepper may be much more than a health promoting circulation enhancer and analgesic. Published studies strongly imply that it likely counteracts hair loss due to its effects on the endocannabinoid system.

The endocannabinoid system refers to a group of neuromodulators (Kreitzer and Regehr, 2001; Maejima et al, 2001) and their receptors that are involved in a variety of physiological processes including appetite, pain-sensation, mood, memory and evidently hair loss. It is named for endocannabinoids, the endogenous lipids that bind cannabinoid receptors (the same receptors that mediate the psychoactive effects of cannibis). Broadly speaking, the endocannabinoid system refers to:

• The cannabinoid receptors CB1 and CB2, 2 G-protein coupled receptors primarily located in the central nervous system and periphery.

It has been found that endocannabinoids inhibit hair growth, especially during periods of stress, via the CB1 receptor. The following study identifies that specific mechanism:

Inhibition of human hair follicle growth by endo- and exocannabinoids

Andrea Telek, Tamás Bíró, Enik Bodó, Balázs I. Tóth, István Borbíró, George Kunos and Ralf Paus

Recent studies strongly suggest that the cannabinoid system is a key player in cell growth control. Since the organ-culture of human hair follicles (HF) offers an excellent, clinically relevant model for complex tissue interaction systems, we have asked whether the cannabinoid system plays a role in hair growth control. Here, we show that human scalp HF, intriguingly, are both targets and sources of endocannabinoids. Namely, the endocannabinoid N-arachidonoylethanolamide (anandamide, AEA) as well as the exocannabinnoid (9) -tetrahydrocannabinol dose-dependently inhibited hair shaft elongation and the proliferation of hair matrix keratinocytes, and induced intraepithelial apoptosis and premature HF regression (catagen).These effects were inhibited by a selective antagonist of cannabinoid receptor-1 (CB1). In contrast to CB2, CB1 was expressed in a hair cycle-dependent manner in the human HF epithelium. Since we successfully identified the presence of endocannabinoids in human HF, our data strongly suggest that human HF exploit a CB1-mediated endocannabinoid signaling system for negatively regulating their own growth. Clinically, CB1 agonists may therefore help to manage unwanted hair growth,while CB1 antagonists might counteract hair loss. Finally, human HF organ culture offers an instructive, physiologically relevant new research tool for dissecting “nonclassical” effects of endocannabinoids and their receptor-mediated signaling in general.—Telek, A., Bíró, T., Bodó, E., Tóth, B. I., Borbíró, I.Cayenne Pepper is the only natural CB1 blocker known and this mechanism may account for its apparent hair growth stimulation effects, especially when orally consumed with Soy Isoflavone extracts. Cayenne pepper has profoundly beneficial effects for certain types of heart disease and is considered curative for certain types of cancer.

Editor’s Comment: Cayenne would be indicated not only for androgenetic hair loss treatment in general, but particularly useful during periods of stress, due to the heightened activation of these receptors. The patented combination of Resveratrol /Curcumin also directly targets this type of stress induced, (termed neurogenic) hair loss.

Cayenne Pepper is available in any supermarket or health food store. 4/5 of a teaspoon, or 4 grams, orally consumed, would yield an equivalent amount used in the following Soy/Cayenne study."

I notice you cut and pasted his post above, verbatum
without even attempting to give him credit for the original post,

nice job…:waving: :clap:

» I notice you cut and pasted his post above, verbatum
» without even attempting to give him credit for the original post,
»
» nice job…:waving: :clap:

The word is spelled “verbatim,” you brownie hound. Learn to spell and read:

1. The above notwithstanding, it seems those hair loss sufferers may benefit from a combination of capsaicin and isoflavone. The following was contributed by Rooster: "Cayenne pepper at 3 to 4 grams a day along with a pill of soy isoflavones. The study that came out reported that 88 percent of the study participants had hair growth. Here are two studies, each one supports the other!

Widowspeak: “You are correct gottaB…Hangin is a complete hoax and this forum knows it…Now watch him attack you and me for telling the truth…go Hangin .”

HanginInThere: “My hair has not deteriorated in ten years, and it looks better now than it did 10 yre ago, and this is with no transplant.”

Hairoine: “Just wondering if your hair looks so good then why do you bother coming on this board?”

HanginInThere: “I come…because I am bored.”

Hairoine: "Oh right. You do realise though that now no one will listen to anything you say. Am not having a go but if your bored that surely the only reason you come on this part of the forum is to wind people up?

If you have more knowledge than the guys on here and they are not willing to listen then why bother posting anything? I would just let people get on with whatever they want to do and if anyone comes directly to you for help then go for it."

yellbird: “Mental Wards are full of Bored people like him. As the Doctor entered the room he asked how you doing. The reply was I am HANGINTHERE Doc.”

thegreek: [HanginInThere] all your threads end up offtopic or deleted… You are so freaked out that everybody understood what an idiot you are that you try to fill the place with stupid threads.

It will end up offtopic as well… you are the forum clown and you know you cannot change it, pretty soon you are going to freak out completely and fill the forum with BS threads…"

Every village has an idiot…you are officially our idiot."

Hogan: "All of my supporters have regrown their hair and have moved on with their lives. Not hangin(there) around some bulletin board. Unlike some who seek any attention that they can get from any stranger that is willing to flatter them. Get a life.

I haven’t posted on this board for the last year and a half because I have been busy working on my MBA, something you will never have. While you have been busy pitching your horrible regimen on un-suspecting noobs, I have gotten an MBA.

You live a sad, sad life. The only existence you have is on this board."

The Natural: “Most men are sensitive about their hair or lack thereof.”

HanginInThere: “most of us are fine with it then you have crybabies like the natural …”

Willy: “Hangin, You’re so fine with it that you post more than anyone on Hairsite EVERYDAY!!! P L E A S E ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !”

Jtelecom: “Hangin, You need some serious help, man! I think that you should talk to somebody about your feelings on these (and other) issues. These rants of yours are not doing you or anybody any good. Get some help - NOW!”

And the hits just keep on rolling :rotfl:

You only pointed it out and gave him credit after I shamed you into it

the reason for the misspelling on verbatim is, I dont use the word or see it often

but Since you are the cut and paste VERBATIM king…I guess you are quite familiar with it. You probably wear it on a T Shirt

They Call me Mr. Verbatim…:clap:

Ever find proof of your GED ops i mean your Umm, Masters…cough cough :clap:

Widowspeak: “You are correct gottaB…Hangin is a complete hoax and this forum knows it…Now watch him attack you and me for telling the truth…go Hangin .”

HanginInThere: “My hair has not deteriorated in ten years, and it looks better now than it did 10 yre ago, and this is with no transplant.”

Hairoine: “Just wondering if your hair looks so good then why do you bother coming on this board?”

Hairoine: "Oh right. You do realise though that now no one will listen to anything you say. Am not having a go but if your bored that surely the only reason you come on this part of the forum is to wind people up?

If you have more knowledge than the guys on here and they are not willing to listen then why bother posting anything? I would just let people get on with whatever they want to do and if anyone comes directly to you for help then go for it."

yellbird: “Mental Wards are full of Bored people like him. As the Doctor entered the room he asked how you doing. The reply was I am HANGINTHERE Doc.”

thegreek: [HanginInThere] all your threads end up offtopic or deleted… You are so freaked out that everybody understood what an idiot you are that you try to fill the place with stupid threads.

It will end up offtopic as well… you are the forum clown and you know you cannot change it, pretty soon you are going to freak out completely and fill the forum with BS threads…"

Hogan: "All of my supporters have regrown their hair and have moved on with their lives. Not hangin(there) around some bulletin board. Unlike some who seek any attention that they can get from any stranger that is willing to flatter them. Get a life.

I haven’t posted on this board for the last year and a half because I have been busy working on my MBA, something you will never have. While you have been busy pitching your horrible regimen on un-suspecting noobs, I have gotten an MBA.

HanginInThere: “most of us are fine with it then you have crybabies like the natural …”

Willy: “Hangin, You’re so fine with it that you post more than anyone on Hairsite EVERYDAY!!! P L E A S E ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !”

Jtelecom: “Hangin, You need some serious help, man! I think that you should talk to somebody about your feelings on these (and other) issues. These rants of yours are not doing you or anybody any good. Get some help - NOW!”

A prolific poster named ImmortalHair suggests taking cayenne pepper during periods of high stress (http://www.freewebs.com/immortalhair/).

Stress is not to be taken lightly in its relation to hair loss:

"When an individual experiences intense stress chemicals in the body will transmit signals to the hair follicles, which causes them to enter a resting phase. During this phase there is no new hair growth. During the next few months hair will be shed normally but new growth will not occur to take its place. This uneven pattern can cause hair to appear thinner and eventually result in hair loss.

Once the stressful episode has ended the hair follicles will stay in this resting period for a period of time and new hair growth will not start for three to six months. This can lead to further stress in the individual as they notice more and more hair falling out and no new hair growing to take its place. If the stress from this condition is too intense the cycle can be prolonged and will result in further hair loss."

Stress constricts blood flow, everywhere in the body, including the scalp. Cayenne pepper is used to stimulate and improve blood’s circulation.

There is ZERO (and I truly mean zero) doubt in my mind that the vast majority of my hair loss has been due to stress and stress ALONE. Interesting stuff. Thanks for posting!

» There is ZERO (and I truly mean zero) doubt in my mind that the vast
» majority of my hair loss has been due to stress and stress ALONE.
» Interesting stuff. Thanks for posting!

stress doesnt cause MPB, it would cause overall thinning but not in a pattern

your hair loss is overall thinning, not horseshoe pattern?

stress robs your body of B vitamins, and B vitamins are CRITICAL to healthy hair, thats why Maxi Hair and Ultra hair are LOADED with B vitamins especially Biotin, and they are timed release.

if you are not on one of these super hair vitamins and you are undergoing a lot of stress , u will notice a difference if you get on them

» There is ZERO (and I truly mean zero) doubt in my mind that the vast
» majority of my hair loss has been due to stress and stress ALONE.
» Interesting stuff. Thanks for posting!

Yes, it is very interesting. And this is easy to imagine, right: Pressure from work or family members brings about stress, which causes hair loss, which in turn, makes us stress even more, which causes even more hair loss; This thing could go on and on forever, if someone or something does not intervene.

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum_entry-id-48487-page-0-category-4-order-last_answer.html

That is ROOSTERS original post about Cayenne Pepper, So then The Natural REPOSTS this, and doesnt give Rooster credit, then he , when shamed into it, sheepishly gives him credit,

LOL now The Natural is acting as if HE was the one to post about Cayenne Pepper, and again trying to take the credit for it,

pitiful doesnt even begin to describe this

the least he could do is say HEY ROOSTER thanks for the post about Cayenne Pepper, I researched (cut and pasted) some more on Google about it, but without your original post, we would not have found this about Stress. NOPE, Natural tries to hog the spotlight

Yes, I am going through a stressful time (layoff) and have noticed increased shedding. I have noticed that I have gotten into a perpetual shedding where I don’t believe that the lost hair is given the chance to regrow. This is quite apparent on the lower sides and lower back of my scalp where the hair should be growing robustly. Stress does some nasty things to hormone balance.

» Yes, I am going through a stressful time (layoff) and have noticed
» increased shedding. I have noticed that I have gotten into a perpetual
» shedding where I don’t believe that the lost hair is given the chance to
» regrow. This is quite apparent on the lower sides and lower back of my
» scalp where the hair should be growing robustly. Stress does some nasty
» things to hormone balance.

its not your hormones Einstein
its B vitamins
if you dont get on a super hair vitamin, go ahead, keep losing your hair, or you could listen to the Natural and go gargle with Cayenne pepper

» Yes, I am going through a stressful time (layoff) and have noticed
» increased shedding. I have noticed that I have gotten into a perpetual
» shedding where I don’t believe that the lost hair is given the chance to
» regrow. This is quite apparent on the lower sides and lower back of my
» scalp where the hair should be growing robustly. Stress does some nasty
» things to hormone balance.

I approach stress a little differently. I do the following:

1)Meditation
2)Alternate nasal breathing
3)Yoga

Youll notice there are a lot of “type A” people who have develop heart issues and a high proportion will probably have increased crown balding.

Stress ups your DHEA levels which convert through to DHT , hence more hairloss!

Regards
Pete

Contributed by cpio at another hair loss site:

Curcumin reverses the effects of chronic stress on behavior, the HPA axis, BDNF expression and phosphorylation of CREB.

Department of Pharmacology, School of Basic Medical Science, Peking University, 38 Xueyuan Road, Beijing, 100083, PR China.

Curcuma longa is a major constituent of the traditional Chinese medicine Xiaoyao-san, which has been used to effectively manage stress and depression-related disorders in China. Curcumin is the active component of curcuma longa, and its antidepressant effects were described in our prior studies in mouse models of behavioral despair. We hypothesized that curcumin may also alleviate stress-induced depressive-like behaviors and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis dysfunction. Thus in present study we assessed whether curcumin treatment (2.5, 5 and 10 mg/kg, p.o.) affects behavior in a chronic unpredictable stress model of depression in rats and examined what its molecular targets may be. We found that subjecting animals to the chronic stress protocol for 20days resulted in performance deficits in the shuttle-box task and several physiological effects, such as an abnormal adrenal gland weight to body weight (AG/B) ratio and increased thickness of the adrenal cortex as well as elevated serum corticosterone levels and reduced glucocorticoid receptor (GR) mRNA expression. These changes were reversed by chronic curcumin administration (5 or 10 mg/kg, p.o.). In addition, we also found that the chronic stress procedure induced a down-regulation of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) protein levels and reduced the ratio of phosphorylated cAMP response element-binding protein (pCREB) to CREB levels (pCREB/CREB) in the hippocampus and frontal cortex of stressed rats. Furthermore, these stress-induced decreases in BDNF and pCREB/CREB were also blocked by chronic curcumin administration (5 or 10 mg/kg, p.o.). These results provide compelling evidence that the behavioral effects of curcumin in chronically stressed animals, and by extension humans, may be related to their modulating effects on the HPA axis and neurotrophin factor expressions.

» 1. Side effects are rare, but may include constipation and bloating when
» consumed in large quantities.
»
» Another concern: Might consuming high levels of antioxidants such as
» apple or grape skin, or even vitamins A, C, and E for prolonged periods
» have a pro-oxidant effect, producing more free radicals, thus increasing
» one’s hair loss.
»
» I read that the FDA suggests, “Americans consume 7000 ORAC daily.” These
» Applepoly capsules have over 20,000 ORAC.

And Jacob wrote:

The Natural…I posted an article in the past about too much of a good thing being bad. Here’s another, older, one:

http://www.thenutritionreporter.com/Free-rads.html

And from Antioxidants in foods, diet, supplements, herbs and vitamins, dosage

Q. Can a person take too many antioxidants? Is there a possibility that our bodies need some free radicals? A. Yes, it is possible to take too many antioxidants. Free radicals may be needed for certain functions, such as fighting certain germs or infections.

"When we hear the word “antioxidants,” many of us automatically think how good they are for us. In our minds, antioxidants are the good guys. We may not be exactly sure what they do, but the “anti” in their name tells us that they protect us by fighting off something bad. And if they’re the good guys fighting the bad guys, how could we possibly get too many?

On top of the good guys versus bad guys perspective, we also know that many antioxidants are vitamins - vitamins as familiar to us as A and C and E - and minerals such as zinc and selenium. And that these are nutrients that we know are of benefit to our health (There are other antioxidants, though, that are not nutrients at all, but rather compounds in our bodies with various physiological function; for example, uric acid and ceruloplasmin are two of the key antioxidants found in our bloodstream.)

Yet, it turns out that it is just the black and white story that if antioxidants are good for us, then more is better. Like an orchestra that needs the correct representation of instruments to make a beautiful symphony, our bodies need an array of antioxidants, not just this one or that one, to create harmony in our health.

The problem with thinking about antioxidants as “good guys” is that every antioxidant can become a prooxidant, i.e., it can reverse its role in our metabolism. In chemical terms, when a substance functions as an antioxidant, what it does it give away an electron. Electron-give-away is what antioxidants do. (This potential power for giving away electrons is called reduction potential).

What’s so good about a compound that gives away electrons is that it can donate it to a “reactive” substance that is in need of one since substances in our body can become far too reactive when they are left with an uneven number of electrons. (Electrons like to exist in pairs, and don’t like being “unpaired”). One leftover electron is enough to cause trouble.

When a substance has a leftover electron and becomes too reactive, it can damage anything nearby, including the wall of a blood vessel or the membrane of a cell. (Highly reactive substances that cause damage to body parts include a group of substances you may already be familiar with, called free radicals). If these highly reactive substances can just get hold of one additional electron, they can be quieted and potential damage can be avoided. That’s what’s so good about antioxidants that give away electrons.

However, when an antioxidant gives away an electron, another problem occurs. The antioxidant itself becomes a radical, because it now has a leftover electron. When vitamin C (ascorbic acid) acts as an antioxidant and gives away an electron, it becomes vitamin C radical (ascorbyl radical). It’s no longer helpful to us as an antioxidant (or a vitamin) in this form. Like all radicals, we don’t want excessive amounts of ascorbyl radical in our body. But what’s the solution?

The solution is for another antioxidant to provide the vitamin C radical with its needed electron. And that’s exactly what happens when an antioxidant like glutathione comes in to save the day. Glutathione can turn vitamin C radical back into normal vitamin C! When this happens, vitamin C turns back into its helpful antioxidant self. But then glutathione becomes glutathione radical and now it goes off in search of a third antioxidant to provide it with its missing electron. Luckily, lipoic acid (in the form of dihydrolipoic acid, or DHLA) is able to do just that.

This process of losing and gaining electrons is like a juggling act. As long as you have a lot of different jugglers staying very active and throwing a lot of balls (electrons) back and forth in the air at the same time, your body stays healthy. The secret of antioxidants is working together as a team, a juggling team that keeps us healthy as long as the focus is on teamwork."