Ten years on this site

I’ve been here from years now, searching for good news! after almost ten years of hype and down, i am really sad that something good, i mean a real breaktrough product for all of us have not reached the market. Too many things disapointed us during these years for those who facing this injustice, here on this board! Intercytex is on stand-by, Aderans keep going his trials and Follica just begin his trials , i thought that since ,as we all know,Follica use a sort of dermabraison and compounds already approved by the FDA, that was good news and will allowed the company to bring this on the market faster but it’s seems with the last infos on the subject that it’s more complicate than i thought, don’t get me wrong gentlemans i am very happy than some scientists are working on it, but we have no real informations, no updates, which could lead to think that something good will reach the market very soon, it’s so frustrating, it’s just speculations and nothing behind it! we could not even hoping. I am sorry to bring this and share with you my sad thougts.I used to joke about it today i don’t have the courage to laugh about the situation.
happy hairy new year… anyway!

Yes, a few years ago I was always joking in this forum too. I was convinced that a cure was very close.
But now I am very discouraged. Maybe we won’t see any cure in a reasonable timeframe.
I too have been in this forum… for 10 years, or almost. Don’t remember exactly.

happy new year.

I’m probably clocking close to 10 years on this site myself now and 20+ of hair loss. If someone had told me then that this site would even still be here in 2009 … I would have doubted it. As would the UCLA dermatologist – a senior MD in the dept – who told me, “Just hang on to what you’ve got for five more years and we’ll be able to give you a full head of hair.” That was circa 1989, the day he wrote me an Rx for 2% minoxidil (I still remember what it cost: $34 for two ounces)

But forget the “full head of hair” Magic Bullet cure: What’s striking to me is the absence of even incremental progress. I thought by now we would have at least some sort of stopgap treatment that could, say, halt the progression even if we couldn’t avoid the onset. And/or perhaps something that could reliably restore maybe some significant % of the loss, even if it wasn’t yet 100%. So AT LEAST by now we could say: yes, you may get a little thin, but you’ll never have to worry about it going so far that you go bald like in the old days. But the old days are the new days, and a lot of the frustrations expressed on this site now, in 2009, could have been literally cut and pasted from 1999 postings and I don’t think anybody would be able to tell the difference. Except, the names have changed.

im here now for nearly 5 years aswell. back there, it were at least only 5 years for a cure. now its more like 10 or 20 years. its sad, but its reality.

I believe that dutasteride oraly, ketoconazole topical shampoo, and progesterone to the frontal areas should halt and give a bit of regrowth to most of ppl.

none of these were known in 1989

big up!!
i’ve been posting since 2003 and was convinced that something new could be coming soon until the intercytex imbroglio. I’ve seen the Gho, Lion corp, Sisheido, Bazan, Curis, Intercytex, ARI episodes which none turned out to be real. I still believe hm will come out sometime, but in a very long time (ten or more years probably). Still, i am VERY disapointed that the only remedies that we can use in 2009 are the same as in the early 80’s : propecia and/or rogaine. There has been no improvments on the market for decades!! The upcoming trials show more than ever that hairloss remedies are still a money thing. Whatever, we’ll all be too old to really care when some real shyts comes out. We are the doom generation ! :stuck_out_tongue:

I have also been posting here for a very, very long time. I was honestly convinced after my first transplant (13 years ago) that a reasonable treatment was just on the horizon and that I would not need an additional transplant. Well, 13 years and seven procedures later, there is still nothing that looks all that promising in the near future. Happy New Year!

I believe that dutasteride oraly, ketoconazole topical shampoo, and progesterone to the frontal areas should halt and give a bit of regrowth to most of ppl.

none of these were known in 1989

Unfortunately long term oral Dutasteride isn’t something that everyone can do. No more than long-term oral Fin.

To a CEO of a biotech company reading stats, it might look like the MPB progression issue has been essentially dealt with already. On paper. But in practice these two drugs haven’t exactly removed baldness from our civilization. It’s a decade since Fin first became legal, and a huge portion of Fin/Dut users haven’t even avoided progressing to the higher NW levels while on the drugs. Let alone the vast numbers of men avoiding them for sexual side effects reasons. (Let’s not quibble over the specifics. But if the number was truly 2% then I think the average 20s-60s man would be chugging daily Fin like it was Advil.)

im on dut for just few months. imho in my case together with the other stuff i take (progesterone, maca, etc) it has potential to let me die at an old age being nw3. How do I know? Well on fin, my hair was holding, but if I did try to do a pull test there and there, I usually pulled some short hair out. Around the temples this was the easiest to do and see. ATM I cant pull a single hair, even the smallest hair in my temples, stick there.

Of course, this dieing being nw3 is just a bet and extrapolation of how it works now. Completely another worry is what sides i will develop over the time or if the drug will be still legal at all in 5 years from now on. There are no long term studies.

All in all, life is risky, and rewards always come with risks. If you dont like it, you should not get born in the first place.

» I have also been posting here for a very, very long time. I was honestly
» convinced after my first transplant (13 years ago) that a reasonable
» treatment was just on the horizon and that I would not need an additional
» transplant. Well, 13 years and seven procedures later, there is still
» nothing that looks all that promising in the near future. Happy New Year!

were your transplants at least a success?

damn its a so long time i have been here. its one of the top 3 websites i checked most often in that time.

back then, when i came here, bazan was the newest and should come out with something a half year later. but it didnt turn out like that. i was 20 back then. now im 25. i thought at least when i would be 24 or so, there would be a cure. but now, 5 years later, nothing. and it doesnt look better than back then…

at least minoxidil improved my hair in that time and i can say that i can live with my hairloss now. its not that it kills my life.

i would be very happy though, if a cure came out. but it just shouldnt be. i think, maybe, if we re lucky, then in 10 years something is out. i see it like a wish-machine. we all would be damn happy if it was there, but its just not.

forgot the OSH101 episode, doh.

» forgot the OSH101 episode, doh.

and the mercola episode thats going to bust just now :slight_smile: lol

I first visited this site 5 years ago or so, did quick research and bought propecia. I never actually thought that a cure could be here by today. I do not think that anyone else then aderans or Baccy atm can deliver anything before the 5 years mark. And Baccy imho has much better probability of succes in this time frame then aderans do. This 5 years time frame is a bit theoretical for aderans, I guess more realistic estimate would be 7, or never.

Now its Baccy or nothing guys, but well I have been saying this for at least half a year now.

I am a 10 yr veteran myself… who could forget… It’s Saturday Night and I’m Bald!!! It has been good to chat with you guys the past 10 years through the ups and downs. I think our frustrations at balding have made us each a better person, and I am proud to know you guys.

I totally agree with XBeleiver in his above post, and I too am suprised at the lack of incremental progress. I thought a cruddy version of HM would be here by now. Alec

I don’t think we’re gonna have incremental progress, honestly.

I think eventually it’s gonna be something powerful enough that it goes directly from “we can’t do sh*t about MPB” to “It’s a thing of the past.” Or at least a VERY big step forwards all at once, if maybe not 100% in a single step the first time.

It’s not that I have all this much faith in the great power of modern science. I don’t. But I just don’t think any half-measures will actually work. Making “progress” on this stuff is like trying to negotiate with idealogical terrorists.

IMHO medical research is probably gonna have to whack all the way through this Gordian Knot with a sword before we get anywhere.

over 10 years ago I thought that the cure will be in 5 years.

Now I think that a more realistic timefreme is at least 30 years if ever.

Been balding for 15 years,been butchered by “the best” for…11-12 years now ??? I don’t know,I lost track of time years ago.
I’ve been waiting 4 a cure 4 around 15 years & in 15 years here is all that was supposed to save me but failed:

Scalp reductions
Plugs
Minox
Micro Grafts
Herbs/Chinese Herbs
Acupuncture
Zinc
Propecia
Nizoral
Rogaine (same useless garbage as Minox)
DUT
Fue
BHT
Drs Gho/Balzan
Aderans
ICX
Acell

Pretty daunting isn’t it ? All of these were heavily hyped & all failed 2 help me & they failed u 2.

Over the years,while these “miracle cures” where being heavily hyped on this forum,many men came here claiming that they knew that these cures didn’t work & they were crucified 4 doing so.But ALL these men where right,weren’t they ? History repeats itself,U can add Follica 2 this list.

We r all going 2 have 2 accept our baldness.(easier said than done) I have already accepted the fact that I will die butchered,I am not happy about it but it’s fact.

This is a fight we cannot win.

» Been balding for 15 years,been butchered by “the best” for…11-12 years
» now ??? I don’t know,I lost track of time years ago.
» I’ve been waiting 4 a cure 4 around 15 years & in 15 years here is all
» that was supposed to save me but failed:
»
» Scalp reductions
» Plugs
» Minox
» Micro Grafts
» Herbs/Chinese Herbs
» Acupuncture
» Zinc
» Propecia
» Nizoral
» Rogaine (same useless garbage as Minox)
» DUT
» Fue
» BHT
» Drs Gho/Balzan
» Aderans
» ICX
» Acell
»
» Pretty daunting isn’t it ? All of these were heavily hyped & all failed 2
» help me & they failed u 2.
»
» Over the years,while these “miracle cures” where being heavily hyped on
» this forum,many men came here claiming that they knew that these cures
» didn’t work & they were crucified 4 doing so.But ALL these men where
» right,weren’t they ? History repeats itself,U can add Follica 2 this list.
»
»
» We r all going 2 have 2 accept our baldness.(easier said than done) I have
» already accepted the fact that I will die butchered,I am not happy about it
» but it’s fact.
»
» This is a fight we cannot win.

That’s a long and daunting list, to be sure.

But it’s not a long list of failed HM efforts though. Most of the things on your list amount to improving HTs and trying to fight/reverse the loss. I’m just saying that 100 failed variations on a single inadequate premise is not the same thing as 100 totally separate methods failing.

When you count the specific HM methods that have been tested by serious and well-funded outfits, then HM itself has still only totalled up a couple failures so far.

I see this a very uplifting thread lol

To keep the mood where it is and rightly so i am not going to differentiate with hippy happy hope giving BS.

The reality starts to hit everybody and that is something that starts to affect all these forums as well.There was too much hope and too much hype regarding everything

Regarding drugs

Regarding trasplants

Regarding HM

As years go by the hype starts to die and people understand simple realities that for number of reasons were carefully hiden with a simple motive…make money out of the bald.

And these forums were the channel for this money making machine that remained happy and hope giving.

I remember all the different lotions and potions. Revivogen, tricomin, spiro, xandrox, lipoxidil, Dr.Lee, Dr.Proctor, Dr.Khadavi,lazers …everybody were trying everything and no real results and there was the usual excuse…it doesnt work for all people ,just because it doesnt work for you it doesnt mean it doesnt work for others, you didnt stick with it …lol that eventaully died and people finally woke up to the reality of the big 3 and everything else is crap or based on the big 3.

I remember all the different HM inventors with their experimental procedures and some of them even offering them to the public and making money out of it.Luckily that dies too.

And finally the most money making machine of all…the transplants.I remember showcases with 8000 grafts clinics experimenting with 10000 FUE.The top clinics changing rank depending on who is advertising most heavily in these forums.Consultants, moderators saying that transplants are completely natural, people with nw2s with hairlines of 3000 grafts.Clinics claiming 15000 grafts from the donor, 150 grafts sq.cm…so many BS great responders to drugs becoming showcases as if a transplant can give a full head of hair and youngsters drooling and thinking that hairloss is solved…

Its all BS drugs dont work forever and have sideeffects, transplants can only do so much and you have to be in the chair forever chasing hairloss, HM hasnt give one clue…

And we stay in these forums as if we are sick or something and cry our fate like bitches…Pathetic… there are so many people that just cut their hair very short and live with it.If you check all these forums traffic they have the same traffic…its the same people clicking on every forum lol something like 7000 visits perday.there are millions of bald people maybe we can make a statistic 5% of bald people we are loosers and we cry in these forums for ever.

Maybe we should pop more pills and say that my sideeffects are minimal or get transplants and convince ourselves that its totally natural and we shouldnt have unrealistic expectations…or maybe hide in here for more years until HM comes out.

F*cking loosers all of us lol

Well, I will say this - I agree that I don’t expect to see much incremental progress any time soon. It’s gonna be all or nothing IMHO.

It seems clear that once it gets started, MPB absolutely will not negotiate. It doesn’t take no for an answer. I don’t think we are EVER gonna find ANYTHING to sell in little $35 bottles at the drugstore to rub on our heads in the shower and start looking like Elvis.

If Dutasteride & RU58841 won’t do it already then essentially no amount of androgen blocking ever will. As long as you’ve still got enough androgens remaining in your system to get an erection and lift weights at the gym, the MPB process will find a way to continue balding you.

And I see no other evidence of any regrowth topical that can help by any other method either. Minox’s regrowth ability is a joke in the big picture and it remains better than anything else we’ve discovered.

Transplants? We’re at the limit now. There are only so many hairs on the head to use, and we’re reaching most of them now with extensive FUE work. Even if we perfected the process and got the average graft survival rates EXTREMELY high, there are still just no anywhere near enough DHT-resistant follicles on most of our heads to make us happy.

And even if we did get the FUE work that good, most balding guys will never have anywhere near the money to pay for this kind of extensive work at the age that it really matters. More grafts to move = more grafts to pay for.

I think the first progress (with real cosmetic value) will come when we can really demolish MPB’s influence somehow. It’ll take some kind of major effective HM method. Create new follicles, seriously reprogram the existing ones, etc.