Substitute garlic extract for resveratrol

After some experimentation, I have found curcumin and garlic extract to be just as (and possibly more) effective than curcumin and resveratrol. In addition, garlic extract is far less expensive.

Be curious to know the effect this combination has on other members.

» After some experimentation, I have found curcumin and garlic extract to be
» just as (and possibly more) effective than curcumin and resveratrol. In
» addition, garlic extract is far less expensive.
»
» Be curious to know the effect this combination has on other members.

As I said Resveratrol is overrated, waste of money, but you sang its praises like it was sent from heaven.
Proves you really dont know what you talk about

I apologize for not prefacing my first post with these facts: I eliminated my chronic dandruff and achieved some regrowth with curcumin and resveratrol.

Other members at various forums have had similar success with both curcumin and resveratrol. But since switching to garlic extract (and curcumin), my dandruff has not returned. The presence of vitamin B in the garlic extract formula that I am using may also be contributing to my hair looking much thicker: :smiley:

» I apologize for not prefacing my first post with these facts: I eliminated
» my chronic dandruff and achieved some regrowth with curcumin and
» resveratrol.
»
» Other members at various forums have had similar success with both curcumin
» and resveratrol. But since switching to garlic extract (and curcumin), my
» dandruff has not returned. The presence of vitamin B in the garlic extract
» formula that I am using may also be contributing to my hair looking much
» thicker: :smiley:

Vitamin B? Oh you mean like the TONs of B , Biotin, etc etc in the Maxi Hair by Country Life that I have been recommending for YEARS?

Imagine that :smiley:

Ingredients for Maxi Hair by Country Life (notice my signature)
I have been recommending this vitamin for YEARS on the board (apparently The Natural just miraculously discovered the benefits of B vitamins)

MAXI HAIR…
Ingredient Amount % Daily Value**
Vitamin A 5000IU 100
Vitamin C 200mg 333
Vitamin E 50IU 167
**(B1)Thiamin 30mg 2000
**(B2)Riboflavin 50mg 2941
**(B3)Niacin 50mg 250
**(B5)Pantothenic Acid 50mg 500
**(B6)Vitamin B-6 50mg 2500
**(B9)Folic Acid 400mcg 100
**(B12)Vitamin B-12 50mcg 833

Calcium 200mg 20
Iodine 225mcg 150
Zinc 15mg 100
Selenium 50mg 71
Copper 1mg 50

Its not an accident or coincidence they put SO MANY B VITAMINS IN MAXI HAIR

They do it because

1. Its IMPORTANT
  2. IT WORKS:-D :smiley:

That somehow got cut off, very important Biotin, for hair growth

» Ingredients for Maxi Hair by Country Life (notice my signature)
» I have been recommending this vitamin for YEARS on the board (apparently
» The Natural just miraculously discovered the benefits of B vitamins)
»
» MAXI HAIR…
» Ingredient Amount % Daily Value**
» Vitamin A 5000IU 100
» Vitamin C 200mg 333
» Vitamin E 50IU 167
» **(B1)Thiamin 30mg 2000
» **(B2)Riboflavin 50mg 2941
» **(B3)Niacin 50mg 250
» **(B5)Pantothenic Acid 50mg 500
» **(B6)Vitamin B-6 50mg 2500
» **(B9)Folic Acid 400mcg 100
» **(B12)Vitamin B-12 50mcg 833
»
» Calcium 200mg 20
» Iodine 225mcg 150
» Zinc 15mg 100
» Selenium 50mg 71
» Copper 1mg 50
»
» Its not an accident or coincidence they put SO MANY B VITAMINS IN MAXI
» HAIR
»
» They do it because
»
» 1. Its IMPORTANT
» 2. IT WORKS:-D :smiley:

»

Thanks Natural. I’ve had a lot of success since starting resvertrol. No Propecia for over a year, far less shedding than I ever had on drugs. I’ll try garlic. Just curious though, you said you’ve had more success (possibly) with garlic. What is the garlic doing the resveratrol didn’t?

» Thanks Natural. I’ve had a lot of success since starting resvertrol. No
» Propecia for over a year, far less shedding than I ever had on drugs. I’ll
» try garlic. Just curious though, you said you’ve had more success
» (possibly) with garlic. What is the garlic doing the resveratrol didn’t?

Hey bucket, “no propecia for over a year,” that is awesome! I am happy that you were finally able to drop that pharmaceutical crutch :wink: Good for you, man.

Actually, garlic extract was one of the first supplements that I used, about 15 years ago. Not for hair loss, mind you, just for general health. I remember that it increased my energy, thinned my blood, like an aspirin, curing my chronic sports-related back pain that I had at the time. Some of these qualities are similar to that of resveratrol. So I decided to experiment with garlic extract (stress relief formula) and curcumin.

This garlic formula includes vitamin B1, 6, and 12 plus GABA, all to reduce stress (stress - we understand can accelerate hair loss).

My dandruff has not returned since changing to this garlic extract, and my hair looks thicker, no doubt about it. So I am pleased, and thankful. To be sure, I’ve never believed that resveratrol by itself could do much. Perhaps, its purpose was to act as a carrier of curcumin to the cells, since curcumin is so poorly absorbed (but I am not sure how it works; neither are doctors for that matter).

Garlic extract is much cheaper: 200 capsules/tablets for less than $15. I take one with a curcumin capsule after dinner, before going to sleep.

Please keep us informed about your progress, if you choose to try curcumin and garlic extract.

Thanks, TN

» Actually, garlic extract was one of the first supplements that I used,
» about 15 years ago. Not for hair loss, mind you, just for general health.
» I remember that it increased my energy, thinned my blood, like an aspirin,
» curing my chronic sports-related back pain that I had at the time. Some of
» these qualities are similar to that of resveratrol. So I decided to
» experiment with garlic extract (stress relief formula) and curcumin.
»
» This garlic formula includes vitamin B1, 6, and 12 plus GABA, all to reduce
» stress (stress - we understand can accelerate hair loss).
»
» My dandruff has not returned since changing to this garlic extract, and my
» hair looks thicker, no doubt about it. So I am pleased, and thankful. To
» be sure, I’ve never believed that resveratrol by itself could do much.
» Perhaps, its purpose was to act as a carrier of curcumin to the cells,
» since curcumin is so poorly absorbed (but I am not sure how it works;
» neither are doctors for that matter).
»
» Garlic extract is much cheaper: 200 capsules/tablets for less than $15. I
» take one with a curcumin capsule after dinner, before going to sleep.
»
» Please keep us informed about your progress, if you choose to try curcumin
» and garlic extract.
»
» Thanks, TN

Do you use the formula by Kyolic? That is the one I found by googling garlic stress relief?

I have access to a source of Curcumin most people do not, and am therefore able to get it for about $10 a year. However, this resveratrol. . .not so easy to come by. So this would be a great improvement on the curcumin method which, from personal experience, I know is so superior to pharmaceuticals they do not even compare.

By the way, this fall I am actually beginning the first of four years of medical school, as a Naturopathic Doctor. I think my early hair loss pushed me to search for a solution so much that I became obsessed with good hair health, which then transitioned to overall health. My experiences working in hospitals, learning about the medical industry, reading and experimenting with natural remedies, have convinced me that natural is the way to go, so much so that I now am making it my career to spread the knowledge, and enable people who want to take control of their own health to do so.

Ramble ramble ramble my point: I am still years away from completing these studies, but as I do, I will try my best to share information I come by hair related on this board. (and since hair health is so related to overall health, you can be sure that much of the knowledge I gain will be hair related).

I know there’s a lot of people who don’t buy into natural approach. That’s the fine for me. My ideal health care system: The natural and the pharmaceutical approach exists. People make the choice which one they want to go to. I respect some people don’t buy into the natural approach. I however don’t buy into the pharmaceutical, so I’m glad this section of the forum exists for people like you and me and anybody else who feels this way. We’ve got to keep sharing this information because we are definitely not going to come across it through conventional medicine.

Yes, I use the one by Kyolic. They also have a garlic and curcumin product that I would like to try as well:

Your career choice looks very promising, and I wish you the best! I have been a proponent of natural remedies ever since garlic extract cured my chronic back pain.

It is important to share our experiences with herbs and vitamins, be they good or bad. This information, as you correctly stated, is vital for our well being.

My dandruff still has not returned since changing to garlic extract (and curcumin). And I couldn’t be happier, if it (garlic extract) has become a cheaper, more effective alternative. I found these claims by a Kyolic representative to be interesting, especially number four:

1. Carboline is the strongest defender of cellular DNA that neutralizes singlet oxygen, and the cellular mugger Peroxynitrite, found only in Kyolic aged garlic extract!

2. F4-protein is the substance that activates immune cell system defenders, natural killer cells, T-cells and macrophage, found only in Kyolic aged garlic extract!

3. Fructosyl-arginine protects low-density lipoprotein (LDL) from oxidation, the only state in which it can initiate cardiovascular problems, found only in Kyolic aged garlic extract!

4. SAMC prevents the hormone testosterone from changing into hazardous levels of dihydrotestosterone that contributes to abnormal cell growth, hair loss and prostate abnormalities, found only in Kyolic aged garlic extract!

5. SP-Saponin, a priceless adaptogen, helps keep the immune system in balance and activates the most crucial protective antioxidant enzymes in your body: glutathione, super oxide dismutase (SOD) and catalase, found only in Kyolic aged garlic extract!

6. S-allyl cysteine is a power-packed antioxidant and detoxifier. Only Kyolic Aged Garlic Extract offers a standardized level of this substance.

7. Kyolic Aged Garlic Extract is the only garlic supplement to receive a U.S. Patent for lowering homocysteine, a marker more important than high cholesterol.

8. Kyolic Aged Garlic Extract is the only garlic supplement proven to deactivate phase 2 enzymes protecting the body from potential carcinogens."

» My dandruff still has not returned since changing to garlic extract (and
» curcumin). And I couldn’t be happier, if it (garlic extract) has become a
» cheaper, more effective alternative. I found these claims by a Kyolic
» representative to be interesting, especially number four:
»
» 1. Carboline is the strongest defender of cellular DNA that neutralizes
» singlet oxygen, and the cellular mugger Peroxynitrite, found only in Kyolic
» aged garlic extract!
»
» 2. F4-protein is the substance that activates immune cell system defenders,
» natural killer cells, T-cells and macrophage, found only in Kyolic aged
» garlic extract!
»
» 3. Fructosyl-arginine protects low-density lipoprotein (LDL) from
» oxidation, the only state in which it can initiate cardiovascular problems,
» found only in Kyolic aged garlic extract!
»
» 4. SAMC prevents the hormone testosterone from changing into hazardous
» levels of dihydrotestosterone that contributes to abnormal cell growth,
» hair loss and prostate abnormalities, found only in Kyolic aged garlic
» extract
!
»
» 5. SP-Saponin, a priceless adaptogen, helps keep the immune system in
» balance and activates the most crucial protective antioxidant enzymes in
» your body: glutathione, super oxide dismutase (SOD) and catalase, found
» only in Kyolic aged garlic extract!
»
» 6. S-allyl cysteine is a power-packed antioxidant and detoxifier. Only
» Kyolic Aged Garlic Extract offers a standardized level of this substance.
»
» 7. Kyolic Aged Garlic Extract is the only garlic supplement to receive a
» U.S. Patent for lowering homocysteine, a marker more important than high
» cholesterol.
»
» 8. Kyolic Aged Garlic Extract is the only garlic supplement proven to
» deactivate phase 2 enzymes protecting the body from potential carcinogens."

number 4 is the same thing that natural DHT blockers do
Saw Palmetto
Pygeum
Nettles
Beta Sitosterol

Now you are acting like Garlic Extract is some magical formula annointed by god to cure hair loss, it may help with dandruff but thats a minor consideration to cure

natural dht blockers do the same thing for me

Interesting how you fail to admit you were WAY off the mark by not admitting my suggestion of Maxi Hair LOADED WITH B VITAMINS was right all along

LOL
no surprise

oh my god… if the goal for you people is to block as much DHT as possible, then you can drop all of this garbage and just take one capsule of dut a day… seriously, all I can think of is Vin Diesel

when i was eating 1 clove of garlic a day, within a week or 2 i noticed a drastic reduction in dandruff and itching.

imo, these 2 things, dandruff and itching seems to be an indication as to if something is working to combat mpb or not.

if you have the dandruff and itch under control, your not going bald!

at the backs and sides of mpb scalps, there is never any dandruff or itch present.

» oh my god… if the goal for you people is to block as much DHT as
» possible, then you can drop all of this garbage and just take one capsule
» of dut a day… seriously, all I can think of is Vin Diesel

2 problems with this idea:

1. We believe hair loss has multiple factors and blocking DHT alone will not stop it.

2. If we do want to block DHT, we would take this stuff because it has no side effects where dut does.

I understand your point: If a person is going to take four to five supplements for the purpose of inhibiting DHT, then wouldn’t it just be more efficient and cost-effective to take a pill (pharmaceutical). I think that it would. And pharmaceuticals are more effective at regrowing hair for most people for longer periods of time. But as has been stated, because of their potency, side effects are much more common with pharmaceuticals than they are with natural supplements.

»

Thanks for sharing, i’ll try that out and let you know what happens.

Actually, our “goal” should be to reduce as much inflammation as possible; but if DHT levels are lowered somewhat in the process, then I think that it’s a bonus.

One’s goal, however, should never be to reduce as much DHT as possible (for the sake of his hair), because this could be unhealthy, and even dangerous.

Garlic-Derived S-allylmercaptocysteine Is a Novel In vivo Antimetastatic Agent for Androgen-Independent Prostate Cancer

Edward W. Howard,
Ming-Tat Ling,
Chee Wai Chua,
Hiu Wing Cheung,
Xianghong Wang, and
Yong Chuan Wong

• Author Affiliations

Authors’ Affiliation: Cancer Biology Group, Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong

Requests for reprints:
Xianghong Wang, Department of Anatomy, The University of Hong Kong, 1/F, Faculty of Medicine Building, 21 Sassoon Road, Hong Kong. Phone: 852-2819-2867; Fax: 852-2817-0857; E-mail: xhwang@hkucc.hku.hk.

Abstract

Purpose: There is epidemiologic evidence that high garlic consumption decreases the incidence of prostate cancer, and compounds isolated from garlic have been shown to have cancer-preventive and tumor-suppressive effects. Recent in vitro studies in our laboratory have shown that garlic-derived organosulfur compound S-allylmercaptocysteine suppresses invasion and cell motility of androgen-independent prostate cancer cells via the up-regulation of cell-adhesion molecule E-cadherin. S-allylmercaptocysteine is therefore a potential antimetastatic drug with broad clinical applications that we tested in vivo for the first time in this study.

Experimental Design: We used a newly established fluorescent orthotopic androgen-independent prostate cancer mouse model to assess the ability of S-allylmercaptocysteine to inhibit tumor growth and dissemination.

Results: We showed that oral S-allylmercaptocysteine not only inhibited the growth of primary tumors by up to 71% (P < 0.001) but also reduced the number of lung and adrenal metastases by as much as 85.5% (P = 0.001) without causing notable toxicity. This metastatic suppression was accompanied by a 91% reduction of viable circulating tumor cells (P = 0.041), suggesting that S-allylmercaptocysteine prevents dissemination by decreasing tumor cell intravasation.

Conclusions: Our results provide in vivo evidence supporting the potential use of S-allylmercaptocysteine as an E-cadherin up-regulating antimetastatic agent for the treatment of androgen-independent prostate cancer. This is the first report of the in vivo antimetastatic properties of garlic, which may also apply to other cancer types.

the natrual, do you have any itching or any dandruff at all now?