Substitute garlic extract for resveratrol

» the natrual, do you have any itching or any dandruff at all now?

gutted2, I have zero itching. And any dandruff that I do have is negligible.

And this was my biggest concern: If I substituted aged garlic extract with resveratrol, would my dandruff and itching return. Fortunately, it has not!

Still, there are people with dandruff, who have not experienced any hair loss at all. Hair loss is a complex issue, often without absolute well defined correlations.

» And this was my biggest concern: If I substituted aged garlic extract with
» resveratrol, would my dandruff and itching return. Fortunately, it has
» not!
»
» Still, there are people with dandruff, who have not experienced any hair
» loss at all. Hair loss is a complex issue, often without absolute well
» defined correlations.

intresting…

personally i think there is a relationship.

if you have your itch/oily dandruff (not the dry dandruff) under control youve stopped hair loss.

when i was taking garlic cloves i noticed this too.

i have my loss under control, its hairline/temple regrowth i crave though.

» i have my loss under control, its hairline/temple regrowth i crave though.

Yes, I’m sure that all of us here would like more growth in these areas.

As I previously stated, aged garlic extract was one of the first supplements that I began taking on a regular basis about 15 or so years ago, and now that I think of it: This is what could have delayed my hair loss. At that time, I was using it for chronic back pain, energy, etc. After a year or so, I didn’t feel the need to take it anymore, as I felt great (no more back pain, lots of energy, etc.). It was probably within a year after stopping that I began experiencing some light thinning. But instead of returning to garlic extract, I used Shen Min, which wasn’t bad. It definitely slowed the thinning for a period.

“S-allyl-mercaptocysteine (SAMC), a compound derived from aged Garlic, appears to diminish the growth of Human prostate cancer cells. Researchers from Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York City found that the SAMC causes cancer cells to break down testosterone two to four times more quickly than normal—and through a route that does not produce dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a form of the hormone strongly associated with the multiplication of prostate cells. SAMC can be found only in Garlic extract that is aged. Several immunotherapies have been approved by the FDA for cancer treatment. Others are still under study.”

Taking garlic and vitamin C supplements together may reduce blood pressure, says a study published in the journal Nutrition Research (2007, vol. 27, no. 2).

Scientists from New York’s Pharmaceutical Research Institute at Albany College of Pharmacy recruited six people with marginally high blood pressure (140/90 mmHg). With one-week breaks between each course, subjects completed ten-day doses of vitamin C alone (2 grams per day), then garlic capsules alone (2.5 grams per day of freeze-dried bulb powder), and finally, a combination of the two.

Taking vitamin C by itself did not affect the subjects’ blood pressure. Garlic alone reduced systolic (peak) blood pressure, but not diastolic pressure (when the heart is resting). But together, vitamin C and garlic reduced systolic levels to between 110 and 120 and diastolic to 75 to 80.

Blood pressure dropped, researchers theorized, because cells lining the walls of the blood vessels were producing more nitric oxide, a compound that helps to regulate blood pressure and immunity, as well as many other bodily functions. Taking garlic supplements alone caused a twofold increase in cellular nitric oxide production, they said. But combining garlic and vitamin C resulted in a threefold increase.

» Taking garlic and vitamin C supplements together may reduce blood pressure,
» says a study published in the journal Nutrition Research (2007, vol. 27,
» no. 2).
»
» Scientists from New York’s Pharmaceutical Research Institute at Albany
» College of Pharmacy recruited six people with marginally high blood
» pressure (140/90 mmHg). With one-week breaks between each course, subjects
» completed ten-day doses of vitamin C alone (2 grams per day), then garlic
» capsules alone (2.5 grams per day of freeze-dried bulb powder), and
» finally, a combination of the two.
»
» Taking vitamin C by itself did not affect the subjects’ blood pressure.
» Garlic alone reduced systolic (peak) blood pressure, but not diastolic
» pressure (when the heart is resting). But together, vitamin C and garlic
» reduced systolic levels to between 110 and 120 and diastolic to 75 to 80.
»
» Blood pressure dropped, researchers theorized, because cells lining the
» walls of the blood vessels were producing more nitric oxide
, a compound
» that helps to regulate blood pressure and immunity, as well as many other
» bodily functions. Taking garlic supplements alone caused a twofold
» increase in cellular nitric oxide production
, they said. But
» combining garlic and vitamin C resulted in a threefold increase

this is intresting.

when i took it, i noticed itching and sebum was drastically reduced.

sulphur is abundant in garlic too.

Id love to jump on this again, but im on something else, dont really want to blur the results of the other treatment that im on though.

i did read somehwre on another forum, that person applied topical garlic to the hairline and he noticed hair growth.

The Effects of Nitric Oxide on Baldness

"Well, there is at least one factor that androgenic baldness and Alzheimer’s disease have in common: atherosclerosis. The lining of blood vessels produces nitric oxide (NO, as in MiNOxidol, the active ingredient in Rogaine) and possibly other hair growth factors; when this lining is damaged through the accumulation of atherosclerotic plaque, less nitric oxide (NO) is produced.

Please don’t draw the wrong conclusion that a balding man is doomed to go on to Alzheimer’s disease or Parkinson’s. Like most men, he’ll probably die of heart disease, which is a much better way to die. Also, 40% of men die before their 75th birthday, which also helps account for the lower rate of brain disease in the male population. Still, what happens in the scalp of a balding person (including inflammation and free-radical damage) does seem to bear resemblance to what probably goes on in the brain tissue of brain-disease victims.

The incidence of male pattern (androgenic) baldness has been found to be the highest among college professors, and lowest among skid-row winos. Winos are also known to have the cleanest arteries in the world (which of course doesn’t save them from dying of cirrhosis of the liver). Could there be a connection? Let me remind you that alcohol is an excellent vasodilator — there is perhaps nothing quite like alcohol for dilating those peripheral blood vessels. And vasodilatation implies nitric oxide release. (I’m not recommending that anyone take up drinking. For years now I’ve been haunted by the question of whether it’s possible to duplicate the benefits of alcohol in a non-alcoholic way, which would be vastly preferable)."

the natrual, do you think its better to take garlic cloves rather than the extract in pill form?

» the natrual, do you think its better to take garlic cloves rather than the
» extract in pill form?

Personally, I like the convenience of supplements: no odor, etc. And here may be some helpful information provided by an age garlic manufacturer:

“First of all, it is important to understand that whenever garlic is processed in any way, whether cooked, crushed, pickled or aged, as our product is, the chemistry changes. For that reason, one form of garlic cannot be compared to or considered equal to another form. If you look at active ingredients, 1 gram of raw garlic contains only 50 mcg of S-allyl cysteine (SAC), but 1 gram of KYOLIC Aged Garlic Extract contains 1,000 mcg of SAC. Thus, it takes 20 grams of raw garlic to be equivalent to 1 gram of Aged Garlic Extract on the basis of SAC. If you look at SAMC, fructosyl arginine, carbolines, you can’t compare them because raw garlic does not have any of these beneficial compounds. Though it is not exactly the same as raw garlic, it has still demonstrated the benefits of garlic without the undesirable effects such as odor problems or stomach disorders often associated with the ingestion of raw garlic. So, KYOLIC may be more beneficial, gentler and more desirable for supplementation purposes than raw garlic or other garlic product.”

As you can see, their argument reads like a sales pitch :wink:

More advertisement from Kyolic:

The garlic supplements available on the market can be placed into the following four categories:

1. Garlic oil

2. Garlic powder

3. Garlic oil macerates

4. Aged garlic extract

5. GARLIC OIL:
    • Made by distilling crushed garlic; the resulting condensed oils are then mixed with vegetable oil and packaged in soft gel capsules.
    • Contains only a minimal amount of garlic essential oil due to its high cost and pungency, the rest being approximately 99% vegetable oil.
    • Contains only the oil-soluble compounds found in garlic which are the most potent sources of garlic odor.
    • Lacks beneficial water-soluble compounds.

6. GARLIC POWDER:
    • Dehydrated and pulverized garlic.
    • Typically tableted or encapsulated with parsley, mint or citrus or sugar-coated to decrease odor.
    • Chemically very similar to common, inexpensive garlic flavoring/spice powders/condiments.
    • Allicin content is often emphasized in these products, however various garlic products tested contained no allicin due to the instability of allicin.
    • Some claim to have "allicin potential, however, simulated digestive conditions significantly reduce allicin production and absorption of allicin into the body has not been proven.
    • If high heat is used in the process of making these powders, most of the beneficial compounds and natural enzymes in garlic are destroyed.

7. GARLIC OIL MACERATE:
    • Designed originally for use as a condiment.
    • Consists of garlic cloves or garlic powder mixed into vegetable oil and then encapsulated.
    • Contains odorous oil-soluble compounds as well as small amounts of water soluble compounds.
    • Typically poorly standardized for ingredients.

8. AGED GARLIC EXTRACT:
    • Made from organically grown garlic which is crushed and then naturally cold-aged for up to 20 months converting harsh, odorous and irritating compounds into compounds which are safe, stable and odorless.
    • Kyolic is gentler on the intestinal tract than other forms of garlic and its constituents may even enhance the growth of beneficial bacteria.
    • Standardized for s-allyl cysteine which is stable, odorless, safe, and has been proven to be absorbed and utilized by the body (s-allyl cysteine has demonstrated various benefits in studies such as reducing cholesterol synthesis in liver cells, enhancing the activity of cells in the body which fight infections, and reducing the growth of tumors in animals)
    • More than four decades of usage in both japan and the united states.
    • Boasts of more than 100 studies published in scientific journals confirming the safety and effectiveness of both it and the ingredients it contains.
    • Does not have the offensive aroma of raw garlic or other forms of garlic. It is known as the “sociable garlic”.
    • Kyolic’s garlic is all natural and is organically grown without pesticides or herbicides

» More advertisement from Kyolic:
»
» The garlic supplements available on the market can be placed into the
» following four categories:
»
» 1) Garlic oil
» 2) Garlic powder
» 3) Garlic oil macerates
» 4) Aged garlic extract
»
» 1) GARLIC OIL:
» • Made by distilling crushed garlic; the resulting condensed oils are then
» mixed with vegetable oil and packaged in soft gel capsules.
» • Contains only a minimal amount of garlic essential oil due to its high
» cost and pungency, the rest being approximately 99% vegetable oil.
» • Contains only the oil-soluble compounds found in garlic which are the
» most potent sources of garlic odor.
» • Lacks beneficial water-soluble compounds.
»
»
» 2) GARLIC POWDER:
» • Dehydrated and pulverized garlic.
» • Typically tableted or encapsulated with parsley, mint or citrus or
» sugar-coated to decrease odor.
» • Chemically very similar to common, inexpensive garlic flavoring/spice
» powders/condiments.
» • Allicin content is often emphasized in these products, however various
» garlic products tested contained no allicin due to the instability of
» allicin.
» • Some claim to have "allicin potential, however, simulated digestive
» conditions significantly reduce allicin production and absorption of
» allicin into the body has not been proven.
» • If high heat is used in the process of making these powders, most of the
» beneficial compounds and natural enzymes in garlic are destroyed.
»
»
» 3) GARLIC OIL MACERATE:
» • Designed originally for use as a condiment.
» • Consists of garlic cloves or garlic powder mixed into vegetable oil and
» then encapsulated.
» • Contains odorous oil-soluble compounds as well as small amounts of water
» soluble compounds.
» • Typically poorly standardized for ingredients.
»
» 4) AGED GARLIC EXTRACT:
» • Made from organically grown garlic which is crushed and then naturally
» cold-aged for up to 20 months converting harsh, odorous and irritating
» compounds into compounds which are safe, stable and odorless.
» • Kyolic is gentler on the intestinal tract than other forms of garlic and
» its constituents may even enhance the growth of beneficial bacteria.
» • Standardized for s-allyl cysteine which is stable, odorless, safe, and
» has been proven to be absorbed and utilized by the body (s-allyl cysteine
» has demonstrated various benefits in studies such as reducing cholesterol
» synthesis in liver cells, enhancing the activity of cells in the body which
» fight infections, and reducing the growth of tumors in animals)
» • More than four decades of usage in both japan and the united states.
» • Boasts of more than 100 studies published in scientific journals
» confirming the safety and effectiveness of both it and the ingredients it
» contains.
» • Does not have the offensive aroma of raw garlic or other forms of
» garlic. It is known as the “sociable garlic”.
» • Kyolic’s garlic is all natural and is organically grown without
» pesticides or herbicides

the natrual, im looking to start on garlic supplementation, from the looks of it, aged garlic extract is the best way to go?

Well, it seems that there is plenty of competition in the garlic business. Companies (like Kyolic) will, of course, accentuate the positives of their product vs. others. But having stated that, my experience with aged garlic has been very good, not only hair-wise, but also for energy levels, and overall well-being.

The addition (or rather, re-introduction) of aged garlic into my regimen has really made me forget about the more expensive supplements like resveratrol and tocotrienols, for now.

» Well, it seems that there is plenty of competition in the garlic business.
» Companies (like Kyolic) will, of course, accentuate the positives of their
» product vs. others. But having stated that, my experience with aged garlic
» has been very good, not only hair-wise, but also for energy levels, and
» overall well-being.
»
» The addition (or rather, re-introduction) of aged garlic into my regimen
» has really made me forget about the more expensive supplements like
» resveratrol and tocotrienols, for now.

ok, what dose do you take? and is it everyday you take it?

I take one or two garlic capsules/tablets with vitamin C in the morning, and one with curcumin in the evening.

» I take one or two garlic capsules/tablets with vitamin C in the morning,
» and one with curcumin in the evening.

ive noticed a slight increase in shedding, but has subsided now since start garlic extract and some new hairs pop in my frontal region, although i cannot say its down to the garlic extract as i have been doing some experimental micro injections around the same time i started garlic extract.

what do you think about increasing garlic extract 600mg to 1000mg?

The recommended dosage is at least four capsules/pills which equates to 1200 mg.

But I think that it depends upon how your body responds. For example, if an an increase in garlic extract also increases your bathroom visits (i.e. urination), then I would reduce the dosage. Frequent urination is not a good thing, I have found: in these instances, I’ve always experienced a shed.

» The recommended dosage is at least four capsules/pills which equates to
» 1200 mg.
»
» But I think that it depends upon how your body responds. For example, if
» an an increase in garlic extract also increases your bathroom visits (i.e.
» urination), then I would reduce the dosage. Frequent urination is not a
» good thing, I have found: in these instances, I’ve always experienced a
» shed.

i take 1 pill/600mg per day, hope this is enough.

have yoou taken saw palmetto before?

ive been doing some research and it appears the dht suppression that it provides may not be why it provides some people with regrowth. There are various anecdotal experinces from people on here who have regrown hairlines here → http://www.hairlossbuddy.com/24/saw-palmetto/

the active ingredient is thought to be the phytosterols but it also contains other constituents and is also known to inhibit cox-2 which produces prostglandins.

i remember when i first tried it out around 3 years ago, within 3 weeks (yes, 3 weeks) i noticed a thick terminal hair regrow below my original hairline so this is undeniable (my eyes were not playing tricks on me). And the most baffling thing though is the fact that its still here to this day, the same place where it grew, all those years ago, and its not even thinned out at all.

this is my proof, that regeneration/regrowth is possible through natrual means, its just undiscovered.

im thinking of starting on it again to see if i can replicate what i had initially experienced on my hairline but without the dht surpressing effects, as i dont want to inhibit dht and experience another shed.

Im thoerising its the fatty acids that actually provide the vellus to terminal regrowth from saw palmetto, or it could be a comination of both.

I too was a quick responder to “DHT blockers” like saw palmetto (which was included in Shen Min’s Advanced Hair Loss supplement). But, as is the case with these commercial supplements, my body built up a tolerance for the herbs, and my hair began to thin again.

For those in the early stages of hair loss, natural commercial hair loss products (e.g. Shen Min, Advecia, Procerin) can help for a while.

But for those looking for a more permanent alternative, I think they should consider a hair transplant. With all the money that I have spent over the past ten years on supplements, I could have had a really good FUE by now.

:slight_smile:

Anyway, going to take a break from these forums for a spell. Keep fighting the good fight!

TN

» I too was a quick responder to “DHT blockers” like saw palmetto (which was
» included in Shen Min’s Advanced Hair Loss supplement). But, as is the case
» with these commercial supplements, my body built up a tolerance for the
» herbs, and my hair began to thin again.

»
» For those in the early stages of hair loss, natural commercial hair loss
» products (e.g. Shen Min, Advecia, Procerin) can help for a while.
»
» But for those looking for a more permanent alternative, I think they should
» consider a hair transplant. With all the money that I have spent over the
» past ten years on supplements, I could have had a really good FUE by now.
»
» :slight_smile:
»
» Anyway, going to take a break from these forums for a spell. Keep fighting
» the good fight!
»
» TN

that was not because of tolerance to the herbs.

im theorising its because after a while the body upregulates androgens, the best way to keep the herbs effective would be to rotate the herbs periodically, i may start experimenting again!