Laminin-511 - "could be available for humans in just two years" -07 Aug 08

Scientist finds potential solution for baldness
August 7, 2008
By Ben Asher

Recent research on mice at the Stanford Center for Clinical Science Research is providing hope for balding humans everywhere.

Researchers suggest that a protein called Laminin-511 could be used to promote hair growth in humans. Thus far, it has shown good results when tested on mice, and Dr. Peter Marinkovich thinks it could become available for humans in just two years.

The Laminin-511 protein works at the boundary between the dermis and epidermis layers of the skin, transmitting signals between them. Laminin-511 is naturally found in both mice and humans, according to Marinkovich, who has been researching it since 2001.

“It’s exciting,” he said. “It’s not really saving any lives or anything, but hair loss can be devastating to people, even traumatic. [Laminin-511] could improve the quality of life.”

Generally, drug research starts at the disease and moves towards a cure. However, Marinkovich started with the protein and started looking at which diseases it had an effect on.

“It was an accident,” he admitted.

The estimated two-year development time for Laminin-511 will involve petitioning the FDA to start clinical trials and planning a means of safely mass-producing the treatment for the public, Marinkovich said. If the FDA approves the treatment for humans, it could open the doors to further Laminin-related treatments for diseases.

Not only could a Laminin-511 injection help with balding in general, but it could also be helpful for patients dealing with cancer treatments.

“Chemo patients have the best chance of responding to Laminin-511,” Marinkovich said. Soon, for those fighting anything from chemo to male-pattern baldness, a full head of hair might be just an injection away.

Laminin-511 is an epithelial message promoting dermal papilla development and function during early hair morphogenesis.

Genes Dev. 2008 Aug 1;22(15):2111-24.

Gao J, Derouen MC, Chen CH, Nguyen M, Nguyen NT, Ido H, Harada K, Sekiguchi K, Morgan BA, Miner JH, Oro AE, Marinkovich MP.
Program in Epithelial Biology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA;

Hair morphogenesis takes place through reciprocal epithelial and mesenchymal signaling; however, the mechanisms controlling signal exchange are poorly understood. Laminins are extracellular proteins that play critical roles in adhesion and signaling.

Here we demonstrate the mechanism of how laminin-511 controls hair morphogenesis. Dermal papilla (DP) from laminin-511 mutants showed developmental defects by E16.5, including a failure to maintain expression of the key morphogen noggin.

This maintenance was critical as exogenous introduction of noggin or sonic hedgehog (Shh) produced downstream from noggin was sufficient to restore hair follicle development in lama5(-/-) (laminin-511-null) skin. Hair development required the beta1 integrin binding but not the heparin binding domain of laminin-511. Previous studies demonstrated that Shh signaling requires primary cilia, microtubule-based signaling organelles.

Laminin-511 mutant DP showed decreased length and structure of primary cilia in vitro and in vivo. Laminin-511, but not laminin-111, restored primary cilia formation in lama5(-/-) mesenchyme and triggered noggin expression in an Shh- and PDGF-dependent manner.

Inhibition of laminin-511 receptor beta1 integrin disrupted DP primary cilia formation as well as hair development. These studies show that epithelial-derived laminin-511 is a critical early signal that directs ciliary function and DP maintenance as a requirement for hair follicle downgrowth.

PMID: 18676816 [PubMed - in process]

isnt it a bit weird?

The estimated two-year development time for Laminin-511 will involve petitioning the FDA to start clinical trials and planning a means of safely mass-producing the treatment for the public, Marinkovich said. If the FDA approves the treatment for humans, it could open the doors to further Laminin-related treatments for diseases.
Man, the FDA better not revert to douchebaggery on this one.

» The estimated two-year development time for Laminin-511 will
» involve petitioning the FDA to start clinical trials
and planning a
» means of safely mass-producing the treatment for the public, Marinkovich
» said. If the FDA approves the treatment for humans, it could open the doors
» to further Laminin-related treatments for diseases.
» Man, the FDA better not revert to douchebaggery on this one.
»
»
»
»

Well dont forget it worked on mice :slight_smile: I mean. We have seen this before havent we?

» Well dont forget it worked on mice :slight_smile: I mean. We have seen this before
» havent we?

true enough.

I very much doubt we will see it in 2 years, probably “within 5 years”- lol !

Still, the more the merrier.

Has to be an improvement on my scalp botox injections anyway.

» I very much doubt we will see it in 2 years, probably “within 5 years”- lol
» !
»
» Still, the more the merrier.
»
» Has to be an improvement on my scalp botox injections anyway.

what botox injections?

» what botox injections?

this hehe.
http://tressless.com/blog/2007/11/20/botoxing-your-scalp-may-reverse-hair-loss/

lol - wonder where he got that info from for that article.

the info about scalp botox injections can be found by searching for “botox” on another hairloss BB.

Anyway, i now have a copy of the FULL Laminin-511 study referred to above in PDF format.

Can anyone suggest a good site to upload it to for everyone to read ?

Has it worked?

yes i tried it.

no point in mentioning anything yet as only 4 months since i had it done.

Is this something different then what they did in Japan a few years ago. I am not real good at reading these, but it not only did they do this in mice, but human skin.

http://www.jhc.org/cgi/content/full/55/1/43

» yes i tried it.
»
» no point in mentioning anything yet as only 4 months since i had it done.

mm. if you cant see anything at 4 months I’d say it wont work

i didn’t say it did, or didn’t, help.

just don’t want to say anything until 6 months to give it a fair shot.

:slight_smile:

Oh stop with this fairnesss crap col :slight_smile: Tell us!! :slight_smile:

You can always call it preliminary results :slight_smile: and give us some vague % :slight_smile:

debris:

In early February, I went to my local dermatologist and talked him into giving me Botox injections in my scalp in the hopes of relieving the constant muscular tension that was giving me headaches. He gave me 100 units for $1500. 100 units is a lot! I had read previous to this that someone received some regrowth from the Botox, so I gave it a try. While it helped greatly with the scalp tension, it did ZERO for my hair growth and I suspect that it is a load of crap that anyone has ever received any hair growth benefit from it - complete bullsh*t in my opinion.

I’m optimistic like everyone else, but this new drug hasn’t been though the FDA clincal trials yet. That’s all we needed to hear to estimate the timeframe.

Full FDA clincal trials = most of a decade if nothing goes wrong.

That’s the realistic truth. Ignore all bullsh*t to the contrary.