Just E-Mailed Doctors about Acell

Hi All,

I just wanted to update that I e-mailed several doctors about Acell. Here are the doctors (and their e-mail addresses that I sent the information to:

info@ fellermedical.com	  <strong>Feller Medical</strong>		  

cooperj28@yahoo.com	  <strong>Le Visage </strong>		

hair_grafts@ yahoo.com	  <strong>Hair Transplant Center, Inc</strong> 

fdecarlo@hcfmw.com	  <strong>Hairclub </strong>		

Drmattl@ Leavittmgt.com	  <strong>Dr. Leavitt </strong>		

dflodine@ brandymd.com	  <strong>Dr. Brandy </strong>		

webmaster@ forhair.com	  <strong>Dr. Cole </strong>		

physicianrecruitment@ bosley.com  <strong> Bosley </strong>

info@ ghoclinicpraha.cz	  <strong>Dr. Gho </strong>

info@ americanhairinstitute.com	   <strong>American Hair Institute </strong>

info@gardelhair.com       <strong>Gardel Hair Restoration </strong>	

info@aestheticmd.com	  <strong>AestheticMd</strong> 

drdorin@ hairlossdoctors.com	<strong> True and Dorin </strong>

drtrue@ hairlossdoctors.com	<strong>True and Dorin</strong>

lehr@ norwood-lehr.com	   <strong>Norwood and Lehr </strong>

info@ thehairlosscure.com	<strong> Dr. Paul Rose </strong>	

doctor@ hairgrowthdoctor.com	<strong> Dr. Paul McAndrews </strong>

info@ affordablehairtransplants.com<strong>Affordable Hair Transplants </strong>		

rahalhairtransplant@ gmail.com	<strong> Dr. Rahal </strong>

info@ishrs.org	 <strong> ISHRS </strong>	

doctorb@ baumanmedical.com	<strong> Dr. Bauman </strong>

info@hdc.com.cy	   <strong>HDC Medical Trichology Center</strong>

drumar@ dermhairclinic.com	<strong> Dr. Umar </strong>

woodsmd@ thewoodstechnique.com  <strong>Dr. Woods </strong>

info@ torontohairdoctor.com     <strong>Dr. Robert Jones </strong>

Email Sent to Doctors

Dr. xxxxxxxx,

With the extensive demand placed upon medical professionals today, I’m sure that it is difficult to keep up with the advancing technology in medical field. With companies such as Intercytex and Andrans working on hair multiplication and hair transplant doctors refining techniques in their field, it seems that the field of hair restoration is advancing at at rapid pace.

I follow advancements in the field on a website called “Hairsite”. Many informed members post there often and share information about any new information that they have learned about the field of hair restoration. Many hair transplant doctors post there also.

I (and my twin brother) have had hair transplants several years ago. The first transplant that we had was performed when we were 20 years old (we’re 37 now). Since then, we each have had three more surgeries. Although we are both somewhat happy with our results, we’ve come to the conclusion that we cannot achieve a FULL head of hair with limited donor region. Because of this, we are waiting for better technology to arrive.

Anyways, the point of my message to you is about Acell. My brother and I
have posted several times (on hairsite) about this technology. We are both cautiously
optimistic about this product. I called the company and spoke to a man
named XXXXXXXXX who spent 10-15 minutes on the phone with me and, at
the end of the conversation, I was even more excited about this product. To
me, the Acell extracellular biomatrix MIGHT be the answer to the limitless
donor area that HT patients (who have extensive hair loss) need.

Here are some links to the company:

Here is a great video to watch:

http://www.myfoxcleveland.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=3150131&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=3.5.1

Here are some pictures of tissue regeneration (WITH HAIR):

What’s even more exciting is the fact that this product is already on the
market in certain areas of medicine. I believe that there is a need for
someone to bridge the gap between this technology and the HT community. I
hope you can start that trend.

I live in the Pittsburgh area and am willing to do anything necessary to
assist in this process. I believe that research is being conducted at UPMC
(in Pittsburgh) and plan on contacting them also. I would appreciate any
direction that you can give in exploring this product more closely.

Sincerely,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thats a great idea.

We will never know about this unless some doc is willing to douse a few FUE-holes in this pig bladder extract and see if anything happens.

Its kind of the same thing with the wnt-protiens and wound healing (although I think someone needs to keep their heads of of pillows for at least a few days for that scenario to play out like it does on mice and rabbits). You’d think someone would be interested in trying or at least attempting it on a small scale. If we could regenerate our donor area just once, it would make transplants very viable for almost every man. 2 wreaths are definitely enough for most people. :slight_smile:

Gee whiz.

At least somebody should cut a hole in their hairy arm, and rub the stuff into the hole see what grows back.

If I were a bald vet, I’d try it.

» Thats a great idea.
»
»
» We will never know about this unless some doc is willing to douse a few
» FUE-holes in this pig bladder extract and see if anything happens.
»
» Its kind of the same thing with the wnt-protiens and wound healing
» (although I think someone needs to keep their heads of of pillows for at
» least a few days for that scenario to play out like it does on mice and
» rabbits). You’d think someone would be interested in trying or at least
» attempting it on a small scale. If we could regenerate our donor area just
» once, it would make transplants very viable for almost every man. 2 wreaths
» are definitely enough for most people. :slight_smile:

I will admit…I was disheartened when I read this

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum_entry.php?id=9971&page=0&category=2&order=last_answer

This topic was in the transplant forum…I know you saw it Benji…Shredded worked as a salesman for a similar product and thinks wont regrow the donor area…

But I agree Ahab…somebody should at least try it

Raptor,

I appreciate your hard work on this, and don’t get me wrong, I think there might be something to the scientific underpinnings of what you’re proposing here. I think it actually might work.

But you do realize that this would take just as long, if not considerably longer, than HM to be approved. Just because the Acell drug is already approved (I believe for veterinary use), doesn’t mean that there would be any “jump” on getting it approved for hair regeneration.

More than this, I think this idea will be frowned upon by most doctors because it involves debriding, or removing, a significant amount of otherwise healthy skin. I think that most doctors, and the medical establishment as a whole, will not think removing large amounts of “healthy” skin justifies this use, especially considering the potential liability for individual doctors if the procedure goes wrong and someone decides to sue. Unlike HM, this is a very “invasive” procedure, even quite a bit more invasive than HT, in many ways, so this will scare/discourage a lot of docs. And, in the end, it is the willingness of doctors to do adopt and perform a new procedure, not our desire for it, that trumps everything else.

Because of these two drawbacks, which I think are pretty major:

1. Length of time for approval likely to be considerable, and testing, review approval process hasn’t even started yet (whereas it has with HM) and

2. Doctors likely to be scared to do this because of simple liability issues. IMHO, they are likely to see it like this: Tearing off an entire layer of skin from the scalp is dangerous and invites all sorts of complications, which leads to potential liability if something goes wrong.

…I think this is not the sure-fire, silver-bullet, slam-dunk ticket to a hairloss cure that many here seem to think it is.

However, as I said, I think the science behind this might be pretty solid. I am not doubting the science, what I am doubting is the practicality of actually getting it approved and available in a reasonable time.

We are much, much, much, much more likely to see HM approved and available than this stuff, in a reasonable amount of time.

Hey JTR,

I am pretty sure that the Acell rep stated that they would have a human grade product available for use within the year…one of its main purposes seems to be wound healing (diabetic ulcers, ect)…and using it in transplant surgery would be exactly that…helping healing of fues or strip scars… I think you are misunderstanding what many of us have proposed as far as using it…we are not saying to debride or remove the top of the scalp and use Acell there to try and regrow hair…We are talking about using Acell in fue punch holes (or maybe later strip scars) during a hair transplant surgery to try to regrow the donor area…I would think if you were able to regrow the top of the scalp with Acell, it would still be susceptable to DHT and you would lose it again anyways since it would still have the same genetics of the original hair that was lost ???..

BUT…I have my skepticism if the stuff would work or not also…And would definetly prefer HM to Acell if both worked anyways (much less invasive)…I just figured that it cant hurt to get the word out to HT doctors…who knows if one of them would show interest and try the product (very small scale at first)…and we may be surprised ???..best case senario it may regrow the donor region…or it may reduce scarring in a strip surgery…it cant hurt to have a couple of things (HM, ACELL, wnt Proteins, OSH 101 ect…) all being worked on at the same time…:slight_smile:

Hi Raptor,

One thing I don’t understand about your proposal then, is that, if you remove tissue from the punch holes, what exactly are you removing? A significant amount of tissue has already been removed in just that exact area – from the epidermis down to the dermis. I’m not sure how removing even more tissue would cause hair to grow, when Acell is applied. It seems to me you’d just be digging even further down into the scalp, like a bore, drilling ever deeper for oil which may never be found.

To me, this is just taking an even bigger risk with an already-risky procedure called HT.

It’s sort of like setting fire to the back end of your rowboat for warmth on a cold night, and hoping the water underneath will keep the flames to a minimum!

» Hi Raptor,
»
» One thing I don’t understand about your proposal then, is that, if you
» remove tissue from the punch holes, what exactly are you removing? A
» significant amount of tissue has already been removed in just that exact
» area – from the epidermis down to the dermis. I’m not sure how removing
» even more tissue would cause hair to grow, when Acell is applied. It
» seems to me you’d just be digging even further down into the scalp, like a
» bore, drilling ever deeper for oil which may never be found.

Hey JTR,

I am not proposing to remove any more tissue than that already removed for the fue…that should be enough “wounding” that if Acell were applied to the fue punch hole it may POSSIBLY cause the removed follicles to be regenerated in the donor area…(this would probably require the Acell powder to be applied to the punch holes and then wrapped after the procedure)…SUPPOSEDLY then Acell would cause stem cells to “travel” to the area and regenerate the lost tissue (follicles and all)…basically I am saying perform fue transplants like they are normally performed, but rather than allowing the fue punch holes heal on their own and form scar tissue, apply the Acell matrix to the fue punch holes, and hope for full tissue regeneration…

Raptor, it makes more sense now. Don’t know why I didn’t catch what you were doing in the beginning. Maybe if it’s tried, there’s nothing to lose. And since nothing would have to be done that isn’t already done in FUE, a doctor in the US could prescribe Acell as an “off-use” medication, as long as it’s already approved for humans for any purpose. No additional approval of the drug for hair regeneration would be needed.

Which kind of begs the question, though, if this drug is so good, why is it already approved for dogs, but not for humans?

Since it’s already approved for canines, maybe you should really be writing to research doctors at veterinary medical schools. They could take punch grafts out of dogs, and administer Acell (with a control group not getting Acell.)

No FDA approval would be required for testing it on dogs in this way.

If hair grew back well in the Acell dogs, that would give credence to your thesis and it would be of great interest to HT docs – who might be reluctant to try this on humans without animal research having been done first.

Hi There!

Hmm… where is the problem with strip surgery?
If Acell works in humans as it does in animals you wouldnt have to fear scars, would you? I mean, you also wouldnt have to treat several little holes in the skin but one big wound.
Isnt it very likely that Acell wont work for such little holes because the repair-program of the human body probably closes the wound faster than
Acell can tell the cells how to reorganize?
Cheers,
Christian

»
» Since it’s already approved for canines, maybe you should really be
» writing to research doctors at veterinary medical schools. They could
» take punch grafts out of dogs, and administer Acell (with a control group
» not getting Acell.)
»
» No FDA approval would be required for testing it on dogs in this way.
»
» If hair grew back well in the Acell dogs, that would give credence to your
» thesis and it would be of great interest to HT docs – who might be
» reluctant to try this on humans without animal research having been done
» first.

Good Idea…I will look into that…although I wouldnt be surprised if the Vet researchers wouldnt be interested/ willing to try it just because its not really their thing…they dont have a use for it even if it would work (unless they are bald and want to see for themselves if it works)…I find getting even a little cooperation out of people can be extremely difficult…in the vet cases from Acell

it looks very promising…But as one poster (shredded…who works as a salesman for a similar product) put it…animals may respond different than humans…he stated that dog fur is different than human hair ??? Everything I have read said its the same except that it cycles differently…this is his post from the HT forum

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum_entry.php?id=9971&page=0&category=2&order=last_answer

» Hi There!
»
» Hmm… where is the problem with strip surgery?
» If Acell works in humans as it does in animals you wouldnt have to fear » scars, would you? » I mean, you also wouldnt have to treat several little holes in the skin
» but one big wound.
» Isnt it very likely that Acell wont work for such little holes because
» the repair-program of the human body probably closes the wound faster than
»
» Acell can tell the cells how to reorganize?
» Cheers,
» Christian\\\

I dont know if people would be willing to walk around with a full inch swath missing out of the backs of their heads for a few months while things regrow. It would have to work so well as to be a practical miracle for it to be used in conjunction with a strip-of-flesh harvested hair transplant. Most of us would be more than thrilled if it worked, and worked with a FUE. IT would be a big risk to not sew up a strip excision…could result in all sorts of bad things because the wound would be so big. But testing it on a few FUE holes that were going to be there anyway…maybe not so bad.

Dog fur feels alot like human hair to me. I used to have a sheepdog when I was a kid. Long hair all the way to the ground. It greyed as he aged. It was alot like human hair, but oh boy was it thick.

That was a great faithful affectionate dog. He had sky-blue eyes underneath all that fur (if you could find them).

» Dog fur feels alot like human hair to me. I used to have a sheepdog when I
» was a kid. Long hair all the way to the ground. It greyed as he aged. It
» was alot like human hair, but oh boy was it thick.
»
»
» That was a great faithful affectionate dog. He had sky-blue eyes
» underneath all that fur (if you could find them).

Hey Benji…I looked it up on the internet and everything I read said it was the same…only different amounts of time in Anagen and Categen (cycle lengths)…I know what ya mean about dogs…growing up we had a mutt for almost 20 years…smartest, best dog in the world…definetly family :slight_smile:

» I think this idea will be frowned upon by most doctors
» because it involves debriding, or removing, a significant amount of
» otherwise healthy skin.

What do you call strip harvesting of donor area for HTs, if not removal of otherwise healthy skin???

At least with Acell, after they strip harvest for HTs, they can maybe regrow skin and hair in the donor area instead of bald scar tissue!!!

» I will admit…I was disheartened when I read this
»
» http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum_entry.php?id=9971&page=0&category=2&order=last_answer
»
» This topic was in the transplant forum…I know you saw it
» Benji…Shredded worked as a salesman for a similar product and thinks
» wont regrow the donor area…
»
» But I agree Ahab…somebody should at least try it

Similar is different from same.

» But you do realize that this would take just as long, if not considerably
» longer, than HM to be approved. Just because the Acell drug is already
» approved (I believe for veterinary use), doesn’t mean that there would be
» any “jump” on getting it approved for hair regeneration.

One thing is for certain:

If they seek approval for regrowing skin and hair on burn & trauma victims (think our wounded soldiers returning from Iraq, not to mention disfigured Iraqi children), they will go to the front of the line for review.

And once approved for that, why not for all other forms of skin scarring–like scarring from strip harvest HTs???

» »
» » Since it’s already approved for canines, maybe you should really be
» » writing to research doctors at veterinary medical schools. They could
» » take punch grafts out of dogs, and administer Acell (with a control
» group
» » not getting Acell.)
» »
» » No FDA approval would be required for testing it on dogs in this way.
»
» »
» » If hair grew back well in the Acell dogs, that would give credence to
» your
» » thesis and it would be of great interest to HT docs – who might be
» » reluctant to try this on humans without animal research having been
» done
» » first.
»
» Good Idea…I will look into that…although I wouldnt be surprised if
» the Vet researchers wouldnt be interested/ willing to try it just because
» its not really their thing…they dont have a use for it even if it
» would work (unless they are bald and want to see for themselves if it
» works)…I find getting even a little cooperation out of people can be
» extremely difficult…in the vet cases from Acell
»
» Urinary Bladder Matrix (UBM) Technology
»
» it looks very promising…But as one poster (shredded…who works as a
» salesman for a similar product) put it…animals may respond different
» than humans…he stated that dog fur is different than human hair ???
» Everything I have read said its the same except that it cycles
» differently…this is his post from the HT forum
»
» http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum_entry.php?id=9971&page=0&category=2&order=last_answer

He was selling different stuff.

Different stuff is not the same stuff.

Anyway he’s a salesman, not a scientist.

» I dont know if people would be willing to walk around with a full inch
» swath missing out of the backs of their heads for a few months while
» things regrow.

OMG ! ! ! ! ! !

I’d be willing to walk around for months with maggots eating holes in my head if that would give me hair again!

are none of you gun jumpers worried about the possible cancer implications ala Hedgehog/Wnt?