ISHRS lacking in fair representation (why USA should have all the monopoly)

A request to debate (why USA should have monopoly). Those who are not aware, ISHRS (so called International society) was and to a large extent remains dominated by USA and is often USA centric.

To say that it is because advances were all made in USA is a fallacy.

They were not.

1. How many of the total meetings of conference were held in USA? Were any ever held in China, Japan, India etc.?

2. Why should any member of ishrs have to face the humilation of having to settle for ABHRS (american board of hair restoration) when it should have been IBHRS (International board of hair restoration).

3. How many of the key positions in the governing board or council are non Caucasian?

The fault may also lie with the members of other nations that they never asserted their rights and indeed the old boy’s club was thus formed with important posts doing a merry go round among select people.
There are more questions and there is need to change this status quo to make it more equitable.

Looking forward to any constructive suggestions on how these societies can be made more just and equitable (right now its like the security council of UN with veto rights in hand of a select few for infinity).
Regards,
Dr. A

Not so much why US dominates but more a question as to why the rest of the world is so willing to bow down to the US. Nothing stops you from starting a non US alliance and compete.

Well, the easy answer is that ‘generally,’ when it comes to worldwide organizations, the United States puts up the overwhelming majority of the funding. The United Nations, World Health Organization, NATO, etc… Who do you think is the money behind these organizations? I’m not saying this is the case with the ISHRS, because I don’t know enough about them. However, you can usually follow the ‘money trail.’

The problem is that when other countries are asked to ‘put up or shut up,’ they usually get quiet really quickly. There is a saying, referred to as the ‘Golden Rule’ and it states: “He who has the gold, Rules!” Again, not saying that is the case with the ISHRS, but if one country is putting up a vast majority of the funding, it’s only natural that they would want to call the shots.

Exactly!

The ISHRS isnt a huge org like the UN or WHO so comparing it to those gigantic orgs isnt fair at all. As a reminder you yourself said you dont know much about ISHRS making your comparison not hold up much water.

@Dr_Arvind are you still doing hair transplants during this pandemic?

I think you’re missing the overriding point. It’s not about the size of the organization - that’s pretty much irrelevant. It’s about who is funding it. There could be 10 people in the organization. If one person is putting up 80% of the funding, then guess who is going to call the shots? It also wasn’t a comparison - it was a ‘truism.’ It’s a pretty simple, time tested, universal truth: Money talks!

I think you’re missing the overriding point. It’s not about the size of the organization - that’s pretty much irrelevant. It’s about who is funding it. There could be 10 people in the organization. If one person is putting up 80% of the funding, then guess who is going to call the shots? It also wasn’t a comparison - it was a ‘truism.’ It’s a pretty simple, time tested, universal truth: Money talks

But you yourself said you dont know much about ISHRS in which case you are not aware of its core funding.

Youre right that your use of big orgs like the UN was not a comparison to ISHRS but until you know for certain what’s behind its funding speculation about its finances should be reserved until verified. Until then the subject matter is subject to just that, speculation.

I agree with you. It was speculation. The point I was trying to make is that with any privately funded organization or association, whoever provides the majority of the funding usually controls it . Is that the case with ISHRS? I have no idea and admitted as much. Maybe Dr. A could answer that.

The issues or questions Dr. Arvind posted in this threadhas nothing to do with monopoly.

Is ISHRS the only organization in the world that does what it does in the hair transplant industry? If the answer is yes, then ok , it is a monopoly.

But that has nothing to do with the questions Dr. Arvind posted such as how many times the conferences were held in the US vs rest of the world. What has that got to do with monopoly?

@Dr_Arvind please clarify the above. What does settling for ABHRS mean? Are ABHRS and IBHRS doing more or less what ISHRS does? There is no monopoly then if these organizations are serving essentially the same market.

Btw, ISHRS isnt a huge org. Its actually very small.

Dr. Arvind,
How many caucasian people are there currently in India or Pakistan government?
Just give us at least one name.

There is a difference. I don’t know how the ISHRS operates but I assume ISHRS is open to members around the world whereas I don’t think the parliament in India is open to citizens of other nations.

Smh

In India live 200 mln. muslims. How many muslim prime ministers has country ever had?
India has christian and caucasian people minorities. How many of those have ever made it into local governments?
Before you ask for standards, you have to show standards yourself.

Dear readers,
It has been some time since I posted on Hairsite.
I will give answers in more detail soon.

If I put it simply, what would you expect from a near ideal Society?
I agree it will need finances. Every association or society does.
A bulk of the finances in most society comes from the annual membership, meeting, conference and workshops. In addition, they may accept donations in return of something.

This is how most societies work.

But, in today’s situation, what are the policies?

Doctors pay to become members, to attend conference, to attend various workshops, to set stall to sell instruments etc.

ABHRS stands for American board of hair restoration surgery. IBHRS is International board of hair restoration surgery.

Education is vital to new doctors entering the field.
A sizable number of attending doctors are from India, China, Iran, East Europe.
If a meeting was held in India, for example, a lot more doctors from India will attend. Not everyone has finances and time to fly to the usa for most meetings.
I am glad to see some positive steps are being taken but more needs to be done.

Remember, all live video lectures, presentations, q/a sessions, workshops etc., are not allowed nor are present for non attending doctors to view. Even for a fee. In today’s world of virtual meetings, that should change.

Why should I sport a batch of the American board when ishrs is supposed to be an international society? It’s condescending to say that the IBHRS option is ALSO available.

I don’t say other/national societies are better. They have there own problems. More on that later.

Regarding my country’s politics, that is beyond the scope of this post and can derail the entire conversation. So let’s not go down that route.

As I said, what will you expect from a truly International society?
Regards,
Dr A

I assume all decisions are made by ISHRS board of directors? The big question is whether ISHRS members get to cast their votes to elect the board of directors. Why can’t members team up and vote for someone who is from other countries ?

Exactly. This shouldn’t be a problem if every member carries one vote.

Peer Or other Organizations are efficient if they are not run by a single person or business entity or corporations and etc. Not sure how those organizations work above.

But Maybe having hair surgery linked to international cosmetic surgery or dermatology organizations for more research and peer articles and reviews? Globally, many doctors are good and work ethically too.