Hair growth cells AND the genes that could adversely affect them

Hair cells escaping from the follicles might be the cause of hair loss and the genes that cause hair cells to escape from the follicles may have been identified.

2 Likes

Yes. I have been following this.
Anti-ageing medicine has a lot to offer for hairloss.
Initial reports about fisetin and NMN are very encouraging. These medicines can effect the hair follicles at the genetic level, thus, addressing the root cause of pattern hairloss.

We encourage our patients to read up about these.
Regards,
Dr A

If this is the case in humans as well, it may lead to a revolutionary treatment, maybe some kind of gene therapy.

Speaking of this, one thing we still don’t know about Stemson is, do the new follicles they create have a bulge filled with stem cells? Or since they are “lab grown follicles”, maybe they don’t have a bulge? If they don’t, then that might mean they don’t cycle regularly. In other words, they might only be good for a few years before the hairs fall out and new follicles have to be implanted. It would be nice to learn about this from Stemson.

What is NMN?

Nicotinamide mononucleotide, a “growth factor” (see below)

NOTE: I’m very skeptical about any talk about “growth factors”, especially when a HT surgeon starts touting them. They love this kind of stuff, because it’s just one more thing they can offer to enrich their practices. Stuff like this costs almost nothing for them to buy (or very little) but they could potentially offer it at a HUGE inflated markup, like “$800 for a session of scalp injections” for which the product used costs only something like $75-125 for them to buy (just giving examples). That’s why HT surgeons jump on stuff like this immediately and start laying the groundwork by touting it all over the place. I guess they’re all hoping this will be the next PRP…minimal to no results, but massive profits for the HT doctors!

ANOTHER NOTE: The article you posted @jarjarbinx, has nothing to do with NMN and hair growth factor cocktails, but here we have an HT doc (or someone from an HT practice) touting these things in this thread, as if there’s any connection. Just an example of how they start sowing the seeds early so they can lure in customers later.

Background: Growth Factor Cocktail (GFC), which contains growth factors and cytokine, has been gradually gaining attention as a new treatment for hair loss. Several studies reported the effectiveness of GFC on hair regrowth via microneedles; however, studies regarding formulations with fibroblast growth factor 5 short (FGF5s) and nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN) have not been conducted.

Objective: This study aimed to investigate the effect of treatment with microneedle technology by adding FGF5s and NMN to GFC in patients with androgenetic alopecia (AGA).

Dear sir,
Its nice to hear about the positive outcomes of the Anti-ageing medicine. Any hair patient would be interested to know , where these medicines available , approximate cost of the medicine, course duration of medicine, expected results, side effects ?
Apart from it , hair patient would also be interested to see the comparative pic of hairs results, published in any research article.

We would like to hear more on this topic.
Regards
Nitesh

As I said Nitesh, these supplements and medicines are helping many.
But at this stage, I recommend that one read up on the latest experiences.
The best way is to read up the research articles available online.
We will, of course, be posting updates and case studies.
Regards,
Dr A

Good analogy of their motivations,basically trying to milk something to line their pockets.

I wonder how many patients of HT docs in the USA and around the world have paid thousands for getting some of these “remedies” like PRP only to come out with no measurable reaults. Now it’s funny, most of the active hype about PRP has died down, maybe it’s because people discovered it wasn’t effective? But how much money was spent?

Now these HT docs need a new gimmick to sell to patients at $800 a pop, so it might be NMN or whatever, until we realise that doesn’t work either.

The real solution will ONLY be a cell based treatment like Stemson’s, not any growth factor stuff or supplement that’s injected or lathered on the scalp. I would recommend don’t waste any of your money on buying these “medicines” or “growth factor treatments” from HT docs.

1 Like

I don’t know why you are posting negatively on this thread and to me.

I think your comments are against doctors in general so I will ignore them.

Please skip the information provided by me if you’re not interested.
Your comments made me realise how unaware the general population is regarding these advances.

I will be sharing the latest advances made in the field of gene/anti-ageing medicine as applicable to hair health.

I will start a thread on the measures (most of them simple and free) that readers can use in their research and, after analysing, in their life.

I am using some of these interventions/supplements for myself and have found them to be helpful.
Regards,
Dr Capt Arvind Poswal

Anti-ageing medicine/genomic medicine:

As a new field, it holds immense possibilities.
There are a host of beneficial steps one can take at home.

However, please remember, you should consult your doctor if already taking treatments for any disease.
The supplements/ interventions/habits are not medical advice. These are findings with scientific studies and research.
Each day, new findings are pouring in.

It’s exciting times ahead.
You may have heard of Elizabeth Parrish. If not, you may like to google her.
The first human possibly to get gene therapy.

Is she alright? Google please. You can see and hear her talk about her treatments.

While gene therapy still needs time for the general population, simple anti-ageing measures in form of healthy habits may help people losing hair to retain them.

So, what are these measures that you should read about and implement?

• Intermittent fasting (eat to live…not the other way round)
  • Take regular HIIT as an exercise
  • Hot sauna and cold showers
  • hyperbaric oxygen
  • Breathcontrol exercises
  • hypoxia for HGH secretion
  • increasing endogenous nitric oxide
  • consuming dried parsley vto reduce CD38 levels and many more practical steps that can be initiated now.

Please feel free to add your thoughts and questions. I will be glad to answer them.
Regards :pray:
Dr A

Nothing meant to criticise you, Dr Arvind. I’m mainly talking about HT doctors in the West - USA and Britain especially. I don’t know anything about the practices of HT surgeons in countries like India, Pakistan, Dubai, Turkey, etc. Probably they provide an overall better service to their patients than the Western docs do.

However in general I’m suggesting the majority of patients not hold out their hopes for any kind of nutritional or lifestyle based cure or treatment, or any kind of vaguely defined “medicines” or growth factors. And I’m not talking about gene therapy, that is something else entirely, and many years in the future. It obviously won’t help people NOW or even in 10 years.

I’m talking about CELL-BASED TREATMENTS, where stem cells are used to grow new hair follicles in vitro, in the lab, and then implanted into the patient’s scalp. It seems one company at least (Stemson Therapeutics), and possibly others, are almost finished developing such treatments to the point where they will be tested in human clinical trials. Such a treatment would make other approaches (including conventional hair transplants) obsolete.

Thanks for your answer.
I disagree with you regarding which treatments are more likely to succeed.
For a long time, I too have been reading about many companies trying or hoping for a cell based hair multiplication.

But, the scientific findings suggest that the alternate path of epigenetics and epigenome modification is a better way forward.

Can pattern baldness be considered ageing of the hair and scalp? - Yes, I think so.

Have medicines that can effect gene expression been discovered/invented? - Yes. They may be 1st generation drugs. But they have been researched in animal models and there is good reason to believe they work in humans. Many people are taking them because they were already being used without us knowing their true benefits.

(Of course, wait for more human trials that are being carried out and more planned in future. Such trials happen in the first place when the researchers have good reason to believe they work.)

I don’t have anything against companies trying to make hair in labs.
But, in my experience, it’s more distant and costly.
Unfortunately, for such companies…and fortunately for less well to do patients, anti-ageing medicine works on a preventive pathway.
Many of the medicines and supplements have already been in use for years or decades.

Moreover, there’s a host of measures that can be discussed and started by people who are not aware of them and which are free. You don’t need to pay a doctor.

It’s a lifestyle modification and improvement method. (Not glamorous like cloning).

I will be glad to help readers understand the often simple concepts that can have a far reaching effect on body and hair. Also, if something can prevent cancer will you not take it or even discuss it?

Why hair?! You may ask this.
Scientists researching anti-ageing medicines wanted to visually see the changes in the organ they were working on, so they chose eye instead of liver.

But what most missed was that hair is the fastest growing organ of our body.
Any change in the inside mileu will show it’s effect on hair.

True enough. The researchers, again without trying as usual, found that the hair growth improved.
You may argue fur growth…but there’s more inputs coming about improvements seen in hair quality, color and thickness when used by humans.
And, good news is that the improvement occurs at the cellular/genetic level.
Fisetin, for example works at gene level to change its expression. NMN works to push more hair into anagen phase.
That’s the correct direction.
People losing hair (more and more hair entering telogen), should try to hold onto their hair.
New and better treatments are on way.

These are not some distant dream.

I am a likely candidate to observe the effects.
I have male pattern hairloss in both sides of my family.
I have been using various anti-ageing interventions since 1985, and haven’t turned bald. And I have never used finasteride/propecia.

There’s an urgent need to bring all information out in open.
It’s not that any one doctor will be profiting from this.
It will be a way to a healthy life which will include better hair and skin.
However, it’s not about botox or similar cosmetic quickfixes.

Starting the anti-ageing journey is an all round effort in improving the way one lives, eats, exercises…

Therefore, I wish to share my experiences and knowledge with all who are interested.

…
I will take the readers on this fascinating journey of a lifetime indeed.
You are welcome to join.

I look forward to reading a different point of view.
But let’s not brush anti-ageing medicine aside because a lot of doctors unethically earned a lot of money overpromising the results of prp.

I will talk about the anti-ageing steps individually.

Regards,
Dr Capt Arvind Poswal

As for research in anti-ageing medicine, the following is link to the current level of treatment and research being carried out.

Yep, I remember reading something from Dr. Cole’s patient (I think) somewhere who said he got little or no result from PRP. I think $800 a pop is cheap, some doctors probably charge a couple thousands.

sorry, slightly off topic.

@Dr_Arvind so funny you mentioned intermittent fasting. This is definitely a game changer for me. I lost about 25 pounds and have more energy than ever.

I have been doing the 18/6 routine every day, 18 hours of fasting followed by 6 hours when I allow myself to eat, it actually comes natural to me after a while, I don’t feel hungry during the hours when I am fasting.

2 Likes

It’s not really off topic.
This and many other similar interventions need to be discussed and understood.
Nutrition effects genomics.
And pattern hairloss is definitely genetic.

I am looking forward to that Dr. Arvind

Did you guys see this? This is the first time I see a doctor promoting the self wounding technique for hair regrowth, like dermaroller

https://www.hairdrs.com.au/pdo-therapy

Go and get the treatment and then get before and after photos to show us.