Fue Hair Transplant Facts and Benefits written by Dr. Sara Armani

Facts and Benefits of FUE by Dr. Sara Armani

Advantages:

1. minimally invasive
  2. much faster recovery time
  3. less painful recovery
  4. treating widened scars left by strip surgeries
  5. for patients who heal with widened scars or thickened linear scars
  6. ability to harvest more follicles after inability to perform more strip surgeries
  7. no donor limitations due to scalp laxity
  8. selection of follicles - Fue allows us to SELECT the follicles one by one. This means we can specifically choose the follicles needed depending on where these follicles are going to be grafted. Singles in the hairline, doubles and triples towards the back. With strip you are limited to the follicles cut out of the scalp. This is often overlooked.
  9. Patient can wear their hair short with no smiley line in the back noticeable from afar, no strip scar.

Skills required:

The extraction of follicles must be performed by a highly experienced team of doctors. This requires countless hours of training.

1. experience in performing FUE technique
  2. proper techniques of extraction, graft handling and insertion
  3. patience required by staff, doctors and patient in longer procedure times

About doctors who criticize do FUE

1. not willing to take the time and effort required to learn the technique as it is more difficult and requires more time
  2. continuing to criticize those who push the boundaries to improve the technique for the benefit of the patient
  3. requires more surgical assistants and technology, costing the doctor more money and resources

Direct criticisms answered:

1. FUE yields are poorer compared to FUSS

<strong>Answer:</strong>  In the right hands and with proper training FUE yields are equivalent to the best FUSS.  Every doctor will have patients who are not satisfied due to individual variables.  Different patient characteristics will determine final outcomes.  These include age, hair density, hair caliber, smoker or nonsmoker, proper post op care, use of recommended medications and individual hair growth rates, previous surgeries, scar tissue and genetic variabilities.  These will apply to both FUSS and FUE patients

2. FUE mega sessions use brute force

<strong>Answer: </strong> Unless individuals making these claims have actually observed this in person, THEY have no right to make such statements.  Since they are unable to achieve the same numbers of grafts they assume anyone else doing so is incapable of such a feat.  

Innovation and moving forward will always be met by people who prefer to remain in their comfort zone and prefer not to try and push forward.

I feel that the benefits that FUE offers greatly outweigh’s the FUSS surgery - if I had my time again I would have had my 1st procedure as an FUE because of the point mentioned in (9) - I would like the ability to have my hair very short in the summer months etc.

1. selection of follicles - Fue allows us to SELECT the follicles one by one. This means we can specifically choose the follicles needed depending on where these follicles are going to be grafted. Singles in the hairline, doubles and triples towards the back. With strip you are limited to the follicles cut out of the scalp. This is often overlooked.

This is very important & is definately more important than recovery time or a few of the other points mentioned - to be able to hand select the finest hairs required is better than cutting out a strip & being forced to use whatever is yielded from that strip.

A very informative post

Pretty good post. Without getting too deep into it, #8 is probably the most important and overlooked fact.

This is why more donor is available with FUE.

8.selection of follicles - Fue allows us to SELECT the follicles one by
one. This means we can specifically choose the follicles needed
depending on where these follicles are going to be grafted. Singles in the
hairline, doubles and triples towards the back. With strip you are limited
to the follicles cut out of the scalp. This is often overlooked.

» I feel that the benefits that FUE offers greatly outweigh’s the FUSS
» surgery - if I had my time again I would have had my 1st procedure as an
» FUE because of the point mentioned in (9) - I would like the ability to
» have my hair very short in the summer months etc.
»
» 8. selection of follicles - Fue allows us to SELECT the follicles one by
» one. This means we can specifically choose the follicles needed depending
» on where these follicles are going to be grafted. Singles in the hairline,
» doubles and triples towards the back. With strip you are limited to the
» follicles cut out of the scalp. This is often overlooked.
»
» This is very important & is definately more important than recovery time
» or a few of the other points mentioned - to be able to hand select the
» finest hairs required is better than cutting out a strip & being forced to
» use whatever is yielded from that strip.
»
» A very informative post

Dan I pretty much agree with everything you have said here. No smiley and the ability to cherry pic grafts is very important to me. If I do need some additional work at some time in the future, I would only consider FUE now.

I also think FUE as we know it is now is in the same position as when mega FUSS HT sessions were first being offered. The clinics that pioneered the FUSS mega sessions were scoffed at and ridiculed by other clinics that were not equipped and not willing to push the boundaries of HT’s at that time.

I appreciate Dr. Sara Armani taking the time to post this information.

I definitely agree with Dr. Sarah Armani. At first I was thinking about getting a strip procedure done but then I waited to do more research because I read and heard many negative things about it such as nerve damage, continuous headaches after the procedure and scars not healing properly . After reading about FUE I was very impressed by the fact that there is no scar involved across the back of my head and painless with much better results.
When I had my first procedure with Dr. Sara Armani I came into the clinic concerned about the pain and about the whole procedure and honestly once they started I was surprised by the fact that I felt no pain just small pinches.
When my hair began to grow and my donor area healed completely no one was able to detect that I had anything taken out of my donor area or that I had a transplant unless I told them. I can now cut my hair very short and feel comfortable not having to worry about any scars being exposed. I am so glad that I took my time and chose the FUE technique and most importantly the right doctor for the work.

Dare I say that Dr. Sara Armani’s surgical and artistic skills are equal to, if not more so, than her brother’s abilities. She is turning out some incredible results that certainly rival any large strip surgeries that I have seen recently and all without the nasty scar. Her attention to detail and thoughtfulness are quite evident in her writing. I am particularly fond of No. 6 in which she states that those patients who have had numerous strip procedures, like me, didn’t have any further options prior to the development of FUE. In the world of hair transplant surgery, Dr. Sara Armani is a force to be reckoned with and deserves much more praise and attention than she has gotten to this point.

» Dare I say that Dr. Sara Armani’s surgical and artistic skills are equal
» to, if not more so, than her brother’s abilities. She is turning out some
» incredible results that certainly rival any large strip surgeries that I
» have seen recently and all without the nasty scar. Her attention to detail
» and thoughtfulness are quite evident in her writing. I am particularly fond
» of No. 6 in which she states that those patients who have had numerous
» strip procedures, like me, didn’t have any further options prior to the
» development of FUE. In the world of hair transplant surgery, Dr. Sara
» Armani is a force to be reckoned with and deserves much more praise and
» attention than she has gotten to this point.

actually I think I have seen more results from her than from her brother, as a matter of fact, i hardly see any work from the man himself, it’s usually Sara Armani’s wk that is posted here.

I totally agree with the summary, we have been saying this for years and years.
:slight_smile:

It’s all true except that Armani is about a decade behind, all this had been discussed by Woods, Cole, Arvind and others already, I guess better late than never :slight_smile:

» It’s all true except that Armani is about a decade behind, all this had
» been discussed by Woods, Cole, Arvind and others already, I guess better
» late than never :slight_smile:

Ya but the Armani clinic are the first in offering mega fue sessions with amazing results!

Instead of talking about fue, how about an update of Armani’s hair multiplication project, I read on the hair multiplication board that he is also doing hair multiplication research, can we get an update on that please?

» Instead of talking about fue, how about an update of Armani’s hair
» multiplication project, I read on the hair multiplication board that he is
» also doing hair multiplication research, can we get an update on that
» please?

I will post more on this subject when I have information. Please do not take this thread off topic.

If you want to max out the # of grafts available from the donor, you will have to do strip, Fue alone will never give you as many grafts as strip. The largest FUE I have seen so far is about 5000 grafts.

» If you want to max out the # of grafts available from the donor, you will
» have to do strip, Fue alone will never give you as many grafts as strip.
» The largest FUE I have seen so far is about 5000 grafts.

As the company has in their devine wisdom decided to educate us on FUE maybe they could also tell us how they perform their technique, it has been said again by another poster regarding a drill but dismissed as crazy that someone would use it. But they do use a drill.

Can you confirm or deny you use a drill and can you also confirm or deny that a patient with a poor result cannot post their experience because of a clause in your contract that forbids them and that any one with an “ok” result has an obligation to post their pictures and happy story.

» I feel that the benefits that FUE offers greatly outweigh’s the FUSS
» surgery - if I had my time again I would have had my 1st procedure as an
» FUE because of the point mentioned in (9) - I would like the ability to
» have my hair very short in the summer months etc.
»
» one. This means we can specifically choose the follicles needed depending
» on where these follicles are going to be grafted. Singles in the hairline,
» doubles and triples towards the back. With strip you are limited to the
» follicles cut out of the scalp. This is often overlooked.
»
» This is very important & is definately more important than recovery time
» or a few of the other points mentioned - to be able to hand select the
» finest hairs required is better than cutting out a strip & being forced to
» use whatever is yielded from that strip.
»
» A very informative post

Fully agree…if I were to have my HT again I wish it would have been FUE for the same points. No scar would really be a huge bonus for me…no matter how skilled the surgeon you will always have a strip scar but with FUE it’s 99.9% unnoticable.

»
» As the company has in their devine wisdom decided to educate us on FUE
» maybe they could also tell us how they perform their technique, I asked
» before but it was deleted and it has been said again by another poster
» regarding a drill but dismissed as crazy that someone would use it. But
» they do use a drill.
»
» I hope this doesn’t get deleted like my last posts because generally I
» think this site is good but do not delete just because you receive money
» from a sponsor, delete for better reasons.
»
» Can you confirm or deny you use a drill and can you also confirm or deny
» that a patient with a poor result cannot post their experience because of a
» clause in your contract that forbids them and that any one with an “ok”
» result has an obligation to post their pictures and happy story.

FUE is performed differently by different doctors WHO. Dr. Armani has his own version of FUE that allows him to judge the angle, depth and direction of the follicle during extraction with specially designed tools that he created. It are these tools that allows us to produce larger FUE sessions with very high density. That is as much detail as I will go in to.

» It’s all true except that Armani is about a decade behind, all this had
» been discussed by Woods, Cole, Arvind and others already, I guess better
» late than never :slight_smile:

Otay;-)

What is the most grafts that Armani can plant in a day?

It’s true that FUE can cherry-pick the grafts to be lifted.

But FUSS can take a much larger percentage of the most balding resistant ones. The total graft number might be just as large with FUE as traditional strip, but the percentage of grafts lifted from the safest zones must be decreased compared to strip. (I say “safest” because IMHO the safe and unsafe areas are a matter of degree rather than a yes/no question.)

If you leave 60-80% of the strip donor’s surface area behind, then those grafts have to be made up somewhere. The bottom line is that the FUE doc ends up having to reach farther outside the safest areas for a given number of grafts.

It still takes both types of work to fully max-out the donor area with current technology.

» Facts and Benefits of FUE by Dr. Sara Armani
»
»
» Advantages:
»
» 1. minimally invasive
» 2. much faster recovery time
» 3. less painful recovery
» 4. treating widened scars left by strip surgeries
» 5. for patients who heal with widened scars or thickened linear scars
» 6. ability to harvest more follicles after inability to perform more
» strip surgeries
» 7. no donor limitations due to scalp laxity
» one. This means we can specifically choose the follicles needed
» depending on where these follicles are going to be grafted. Singles in the
» hairline, doubles and triples towards the back. With strip you are limited
» to the follicles cut out of the scalp. This is often overlooked.
» 9. Patient can wear their hair short with no smiley line in the back
» noticeable from afar, no strip scar.
»
» Skills required:
»
» The extraction of follicles must be performed by a highly experienced team
» of doctors. This requires countless hours of training.
»
» 1. experience in performing FUE technique
» 2. proper techniques of extraction, graft handling and insertion
» 3. patience required by staff, doctors and patient in longer procedure
» times
»
»
» About doctors who criticize do FUE
»
» 1. not willing to take the time and effort required to learn the technique
» as it is more difficult and requires more time
» 2. continuing to criticize those who push the boundaries to improve the
» technique for the benefit of the patient
» 3. requires more surgical assistants and technology, costing the doctor
» more money and resources
»
» Direct criticisms answered:
»
» 1. FUE yields are poorer compared to FUSS
»
» Answer: In the right hands and with proper training FUE
» yields are equivalent to the best FUSS. Every doctor will have patients
» who are not satisfied due to individual variables. Different patient
» characteristics will determine final outcomes. These include age, hair
» density, hair caliber, smoker or nonsmoker, proper post op care, use of
» recommended medications and individual hair growth rates, previous
» surgeries, scar tissue and genetic variabilities. These will apply to both
» FUSS and FUE patients
»
» 2. FUE mega sessions use brute force
»
» Answer: Unless individuals making these claims have
» actually observed this in person, THEY have no right to make such
» statements. Since they are unable to achieve the same numbers of grafts
» they assume anyone else doing so is incapable of such a feat.
»
» Innovation and moving forward will always be met by people who prefer to
» remain in their comfort zone and prefer not to try and push forward.

Pat,

nice comment, but sorry i think, its most theory. The results i have seen are not so consistently like your strip surgeries. “Strip” Docs make a good job and show us in different boards their good results in a consistent way.

Whats up with the max. FUE Sessions and low graft/hair count ? U note it above, that it is an advantage of FUE to choose the grafts to get a high graft/hair count. Example of the work showed me the difference. I saw 2 patients of Armani in different boards, who get max. Fue sessions with 5000 Grafts and higher. Both had only 1,4 hair p. graft ?