Dr. Woods\'s patient, Michael, 2500 head FUE + 6000 BHT, video

The BDR measurement protocol was sent to me by Dr. Woods a while ago.

As far as I know, this new and expanded baldness scale is waiting to be officially published in a peer reviewed journal. I am glad he decided to introduce this to the forum now before the official publication date.

I believe this new measurement protocol is especially relevant for this thread. There are inadequacies in the NORWOOD scale, which doesn’t take into account many crucial factors when trying to understand, assess and compare the degree of baldness in so many different shaped heads, and what resources there are to treat it. This new tool can add a lot of depeth to the Norwood scale.

Dr. Woods, it would be best if you could also can send photos to illustrate how best the ratio is measured.

Meanwhile, all forum members please feel free to comment on the new DR RAY WOODS ‘BDR’ SCALE, and whether you think it is useful for hair transplant patients.

“there are countless variations of shape and donor which ultimately determines what is and is not possible.” Yes. The n/w scale I feel has been flawed for some time now. It is a good start but all these variables have to be taken into consideration.

Well I am definitely a 1 if I go by your scale.

I would like to ask you something regarding your ‘modus operandi’ Dr woods and I hope you’ll be kind enough to answer me.

I happen to have (in my opinion) very fine hair. How can I determine their shaft diameter? is it or would it be unusual to send some of my hair to a clinic in order to get them analysed? I believe that this factor could play such an important role in the outcome of my HT.

If I were to find out that my hair is extremely fine I would be prepared to expect limited results. But I would like to know this before going under the knife!

Thanks for your time and attention

It’s a neat concept except that it doesn’t really address diffuse thinning.

I will believe your results better if you post pictures + videos.
The video seems as if the crown is almost empty. Very thin growth.
Accurate pictures would be helpful. Why dont you include pictures along with video as Dr. A does. That gives the most accurate look at the final result?

» It’s a neat concept except that it doesn’t really address diffuse thinning.

Maybe I don’t understand how it works. What s the significance of this new scale? all norwood 5s will most likely be 1 on his BDR scale. In other words he is renaming all norwood 5 or norwood 6 to BDR1. OTher than that I really dont see any difference.

No hair in the crown before at all. You see some now It’s obvious. Pics are ok but in my opinion videos are the next best thing to live and in person. Woods was the first to have this concept as I was able to view many videos 7 years ago. This lead me to conacting past patients for further review.

Many people can see and know where their donor starts if clearly defined.
For others, the generally accepted standard is to draw a line connecting the tips of both ears. That is a pretty safe donor commencement line in most cases, and again is an approximate guide.

When estimating the balding area, and there is no hairline, 90% of men will mark in a reasonable hairline. Others will draw a hailine close to their eyebrows. That can’t be helped, but in cases of doubt , the BDR can be a range e.g BDR 0.5-0.7 , but I expect that will rarely be an issue.

As for hair911, your hair is diffuse. Thats all I know about you so as an example, I will fill in the rest. I will assume you are diffusely thinning at the front half only.

So HAIR911 may be “BDR 0.5 sd medium dd medium cc medium pe diffuse front half”.

I immediately have a mental picture of the relative size of your balding area compared to donor, an approximate idea of your SHAFT DIAMETER, DONOR DENSITY COLOR CONTRAST and the PRE EXISTING HAIR in the area in question .

When men are concerned enough about hair loss to visit forums and post, they usually can tell you if they have fine or coarse hair, a thin or thick donor, white skin and black hair or other, and if the pre existing hair is zero, diffuse or medium.

The Norwood scale is a rough guide. The BDR tries to be a QUANTITATIVE measure, but it is an approximate guide.
The othe parameters of sd, dd, cc and pe are QUALITATIVE. It is to give us a rough idea of what is the patients situation. The other thing of course is age.

If johnp is a “BDR 1” , we can roughly visualise his head . If he fills in SHAFT DIAMETER(SD) DONOR DENSITY(DD) COLOR CONTRAST(CC) PRE EXISTING HAIR and age, we will have a much clearer picture.
It won’t be a mug shot, but at least we won’t think he looks like michael, when infact he was much closer to Bobman pre op.

Dr Ray Woods

» Dr. Woods,
I don’t know what people are complaining about, you did a great job. He looks tons better and what maybe is throwing people off is the fact that he needs temple work. If his temples were done, his ht would look even better and more natural.

Dr. Woods, I think your new classification system will be more useful if you have a chart showing that on average BDR0.5 will need 2000 grafts, BDR 1.0 will need 10,000 grafs etc.

It is a good result that would be unattainable without the aid of body hair transplant.

» It is a good result that would be unattainable without the aid of body hair
» transplant.

Presenting this case was not a marketing exercise, as virtually EVERY case shown here and other forums is.

I took an extremely bald guy with limited donor and weak body hair and we have this good result. And he is very happy. Others agree, and some don’t.

I expected that but this was a reality check, not a marketing exercise, so I think it was not appropriate for BOBMAN to compare himself to MICHAEL, being completely different, even if both claim to be Norwood 6.

And given the spirit and intentions in which I presented this case, I am dissappointed that Jotronic could not resist the marketing opportunity for his company, and present his photos on my thread to gain kudos, when I deliberately chose a different and less advantageous path, for the benefit of the forum .

I hoped that other competing clinics would see what I was doing and be good enough not to try and score a free kick. And most did.

Soon the BDR Classification will be published.

Dr Ray Woods

Yes. Thanks for posting the reality of what one can do with such limited donor.

Dr. Woods, this is an open forum, there is nothing wrong if Jotronic decides to present his photos on your thread, besides everyone knows it’s comparing apples and oranges anyway, one is strip, the other is bht.

Dr Woods

Given the degree of hair loss he has and the calibre of his body hair, in my opinion this is a very good result.

» Dr. Woods, this is an open forum, there is nothing wrong if Jotronic
» decides to present his photos on your thread, besides everyone knows it’s
» comparing apples and oranges anyway, one is strip, the other is bht.

One being strip, the other BHT is only one of the crucial differences. The rest you fail to address in the apples and oranges analogy.

Dr Ray Woods

The truth is that it is all about hair characteristics, and that is why Bobman is irrelevant to this discussion.

I am a NW6+ case and although I consider Hasson and Wong a truly exceptional Strip operation I can tell you they would not have a cat in hell’s chance of making me look anything like Bobman or Jotronic.

I would end up with very poor coverage and then I would not be able to cut it super short to minimise the crappy look because of the scar on the back of my head.

Like I said, it is all about hair characteristics, Bobman is not a lottery winner but there are millions and millions of guys just like me.

» The truth is that it is all about hair characteristics, and that is why
» Bobman is irrelevant to this discussion.
»
» I am a NW6+ case and although I consider Hasson and Wong a truly
» exceptional Strip operation I can tell you they would not have a cat in
» hell’s chance of making me look anything like Bobman or Jotronic.
»
» I would end up with very poor coverage and then I would not be able to cut
» it super short to minimise the crappy look because of the scar on the back
» of my head.
»
» Like I said, it is all about hair characteristics, Bobman is not a lottery
» winner but there are millions and millions of guys just like me.

Earlier in this thread I outlined the BDR classification. I realise it is an imposition, but if you post your parameters, I will have a very clear image of your situation . Throw in body hair characteristics and the picture is complete, without actually posting a picture.

As you inferred, one norwood 6 can be completely different to another in terms of what is possible and overall relevance.

Dr Ray Woods