Dr. Woods\'s patient, Michael, 2500 head FUE + 6000 BHT, video

This is one of Dr. Woods and Dr. Woods-Campbell’s patients.
2500 Head FUE + 6000 BHT, 18 months.

His 1 week post op results were posted here back in May 2005.
http://www.hairsite4.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=23922&mode=full

We now have his 18 months results in video.

As you can see, this patient was a TRUE, shiny bald Norwood 6. There was practically NO HAIR on his head prior to the procedure. Every hair you see in the video is TRANSPLANTED HAIR with the majority being body hair.

His body hair quality is below average. They are fine, flimsy, probably the LEAST robust and the least suitable for hair transplant.

1_file6.flv

Dr. Woods is the inventory of FUE and Body Hair Transplant (BHT). For more patient results, go to www.thewoodstechnique.com

Obviously, the important thing is whether or not the patient is happy.

But personally, I don’t see that as a cosmetic improvement. In fact, he looked better before spending all that money, IMO. At least he doesn’t have any scars…

» Obviously, the important thing is whether or not the patient is happy.
»
» But personally, I don’t see that as a cosmetic improvement. In fact, he
» looked better before spending all that money, IMO. At least he doesn’t
» have any scars…

Unfortunately I agree with you 100%. His coverage his scarce, the hairline weak and the overall look seems a bit odd or at least not natural.

Not a good result in my eyes… but you know what they say… whatever makes you happy man…

Actually it’s a wonderful result for mostly bodyhair. Patients need to be a bit more realistic, this is a hair transplant not the hair you had at 12. The majority of hair transplants are see through looking.

I hope I can get a similar result with a combination of head and body hair. If I can, I would be very pleased.

I knew very well that by presenting this case, there would be many negative posts by people who want to see a full head of hair.
And certainly there are enough clinics posting photos and video which skilfully dupe people into thinking the illusion of hair presented is indeed the reality.

A stroke of a comb in another direction, bright lighting, unflattering angle, background etc can make a good head of hair illusion look quite different.

Now, there is nothing wrong with a good illusion of hair, as in many cases that is all that is possible, as long as patients know.

Please compare to other NW6 patients who had almost double this number of body hair. Just be sure that the result you are looking at is not pre existing hair which was shaved for the before shot, and simply regrew.

So criticise away, but keep a firm sense of perspective reality and past genuine results to compare.

Dr Ray Woods

Dr woods I take on board your comments on this particular case. Yes it is true that many clinics are playing the smoke and mirrors game with us but it must be said that sometimes it’s better doing nothing than having an HT that produces unsatisfactory results.

I have a great deal of respect for you as you are the godfather of FUE and the first doc that has taken to heart the rights of his patients.

Said that I still believe that this result is not up to scratch. I would also take this opportunity to ask you a simple question. Why do you seem to perform mainly small sessions on your clients? I had a thorough look at your before and after pictures and the vast majority of your patients underwent relatively small procedures. Is there a reason for this?

In addition to that I noticed that you are a strong opponent to STRIP. I think that the results achieved by Hasson and Wong (who do only STRIP) are nothing short of amazing. Yes they do produce a permanent scar on their patients but most of them will never have to shave again for the rest of their lives.

Any comment on this would be highly appreciated

Dr. Woods, is the crown all body hair? That looks very natural.

» Dr. Woods, is the crown all body hair? That looks very natural.

The entire crown and vertex region is all chest and abdominal hair. Most of this hair is almost double its original length.

500 perfectly removed, viable and intact grafts with approx 5% transection rate is a bigger deal than piperaz thinks.

To get 500 in strip, how much flesh must be removed, and how many follicles are destroyed in the process ? No one is free to tell.

FUE in the early 1990’s survived because our 500 matched the others 1000 , without the damage.

Dr Ray Woods

» » Obviously, the important thing is whether or not the patient is happy.
» »
» » But personally, I don’t see that as a cosmetic improvement. In fact,
» he
» » looked better before spending all that money, IMO. At least he doesn’t
» » have any scars…
»
» Unfortunately I agree with you 100%. His coverage his scarce, the hairline
» weak and the overall look seems a bit odd or at least not natural.
»
» Not a good result in my eyes… but you know what they say… whatever
» makes you happy man…

I think the result is good. Would rather have hair like that than beeing “cue-bald”. I would go for an other haircut though…

And if he had used some styling products and maybe some toppik/couvre he would look much better.

i think the result is good for such fine hair + bht , as long as he keeps his hair buzzed it will look great better than slick bald

» i think the result is good for such fine hair + bht , as long as he keeps
» his hair buzzed it will look great better than slick bald

I don’t know about that, I think some people actually look better bald than having just barely enough hair on top to spot a combover. Just my opinions, cuz I think this guy didn’t look bad at all before the procedure.

Here is an example of someone whose head looks perfectly fine WITHOUT hair. Unlike most men, he has a nice shape to his head. And quite possibly, looks more “natural” without hair.

So I cannot understand for the life of me, why he would want to go through all of that which is inherent in any HT (money, time, discomfort-albeit less with FUE), for results that are mediocre at best. And at worst, he looks like someone who is desperately trying to hold on to the last bit of hair that he has left.

The HT gives him the appearance that he is thinning in the back and front. And as such, I cannot help but wonder what the objective of the doctor was: For sure, the doctor can say, “Hey, Look! Look! It is an amazing accomplishment to have transplanted hair from the body to the scalp.”

But what did the patient achieve? An illusion? An appearance of having hair? To be honest, he doesn’t even have that. He spent time & money to achieve a “thinning crown.”

I have nothing but respect for Dr Woods, I think he is probably the most ethical doctor out there, but I have to agree with Natural, it does look like he is desperately trying to hold on to the last bit of hair that he has left, he, he looked better when he was slick bald.

Since this guy is local and had his first procedures in 2005. How does anyone know he is finished having ht’s? It’s obvious he likes the progression of the restoration or he would not have gone back the last few years. All that counts is the patient is happy. It would be good to hear from Dr. Woods to see if he is going back for more procedures.

» Since this guy is local and had his first procedures in 2005. How does
» anyone know he is finished having ht’s? It’s obvious he likes the
» progression of the restoration or he would not have gone back the last few
» years. All that counts is the patient is happy. It would be good to hear
» from Dr. Woods to see if he is going back for more procedures.

True. I haven’t thought about that. Maybe this is a work in progress.

I agree with you. The patient’s happiness is paramount.

However, if this is, in fact, “a work is progress,” from where, pretell, is he going to get the rest of his donor hair? Armpits? Legs? Where?

From what I see, this patient still has a lot of ground to cover. And unless I am mistaken, unfortunately, a limited supply of donor hair.

I’ve enjoyed your post The natural. I agree with what you say. I thought I was being over critical of DR woods work but it seems I’m not the only one.

Some of you say that the patient’s happiness is paramount. Too right! but I’m not that patient, so I can give my honest opinion on the objective easthetic result that was achieved in this case.

As you said The Natural, this result is mediocre. I am not in any way, shape or form questioning the integrity or talent of Dr woods.

All I’m saying is that the truth is in the results…

I generally like the less-is-more, age appropriate look, but this one just doesn’t cut it.

Yes I do also. But is he finished? Placement is good and I wonder what another 3000 bh would look like?

Does this patient plan on having anymore ht’s? And if so from what donor resources?