complete article

» BBC NEWS | Health | The man who grew back his finger tip
»
»
»
»
»
»

Saw this before on another network. It is amazing. They are using this medical powder with Iraq veterans who have lost limbs and are trying to regenerate them. The explanation I remember from the newscast I saw was that this powder sends the nerve endings a signal to regenerate, not only heal.

I was about to post this article as well but you beat me to it. At the risk of stating the obvious this sounds like what Follica is trying to achieve.

If someone can grow part of a finger back with this powder, why not the top layer of the scalp with all its follicles? Perhaps someone with more knowledge on this topic can lend their insight but I was genuinely amazed and it doesn’t happen often with me. This could be what we’re all looking for. Its also great that it will be used to help heal burn victims.

I think that we have here the 2008 medicine Nobel prize…definitely !

Few months ago this would have been cosidered as a biblical miracle …now science does it…as for the hair I’m having fears on this : this growth needs a deep wound it seems (Probably deeper than one of a Hair transplant surgery)…who is ready to stand such pain…not to mention that the brain is such a close neighbour !May be that’s the problem for Follica…

I keep saying it. We’re not seeing the forest for the trees with Acell and the severity of the wounds.

Follica thinks simple dermabrasion is enough to kick off the body’s healing response and get new hair. If we end up trying to get new hair out of Acell’ing balded skin in the future, then we would be morons not to try it first on dermabraded skin before we get crazy with huge wounds.

Here’s a longer version of that report:

Incidentally regarding regenerating limbs/organs, the body is able to do it in a limited fashion such as the tip of the finger, down to the cuticle. So I’m wondering if it was that natural process that got triggered with the cellular matrix they applied or was it an activation of stem cells?

If its the latter its a great thing-that’s what we want, stem cells coaxed into regenerating the skin/hair, if its the former-some innate bodily function to regrow the fingertip then it might not be so promising for hair regrowth.

My gut instinct is that wound/healing is probably the right path to getting back a full head of hair. We just need someone to prove it and repeat it on humans of course, anecdotal stories are not enough.

We discussed this a good bit last year. What is interesting, I think I read this about the guy who regrew his finger tip - I think he was around 60 at the time, and said that all of his fingers get dry/chapped in the winter time - but not his “new” one. It’s already used in veterinary practice, and on their web site are many photos and videos of animals that regrew skin and hair after serious wounds.

I am beginning to think that hair-loss has already been cured but the cure have been suppressed like that of cancer and so many others.

» I am beginning to think that hair-loss has already been cured but the cure
» have been suppressed like that of cancer and so many others.

well, now some speculation about the cold fusion and we are ok

The problem isn’t Acell here. If you originally read the whole story and not just the BBC headlines, then there’s no change in the story now.

The company orignally just reported that the tip of a finger was regenerated. But the media basically called it “half a finger” when it never was . . . and now the media is “casting doubt on the story” that it was really half a finger and not just the tip.

» The problem isn’t Acell here. If you originally read the whole story and
» not just the BBC headlines, then there’s no change in the story now.
»
» The company orignally just reported that the tip of a finger was
» regenerated. But the media basically called it “half a finger” when it
» never was . . . and now the media is “casting doubt on the story” that it
» was really half a finger and not just the tip.

Acell is definitely the cure. The guy that lost the finger tip actually regrew back everything including the finger nail. It seems that the acell matrix did stimulate the regrowth process but our bodies already had the program (or whatever it is) in our cells to let it know that finger nail belongs in that general and it regrew it. Now the guy in the article with the burned skin is hoping the Acell treatment will regrow skin. Now if that is the case wouldn’t hair follicles in the skin also be regenerated? I’m betting hell ya!

What I find funny is why are the hair restoration industry so closed minded in this area? Their investing millions on research to regenerate the hair follicle when there is something already that does exactly that. I wish someone with a forward thinking mind in this industry get on top of this. I think the first one that does can confidently state they have cure baldness!

» » The problem isn’t Acell here. If you originally read the whole story and
» » not just the BBC headlines, then there’s no change in the story now.
» »
» » The company orignally just reported that the tip of a finger was
» » regenerated. But the media basically called it “half a finger” when it
» » never was . . . and now the media is “casting doubt on the story” that
» it
» » was really half a finger and not just the tip.
»
» Acell is definitely the cure. The guy that lost the finger tip actually
» regrew back everything including the finger nail. It seems that the acell
» matrix did stimulate the regrowth process but our bodies already had the
» program (or whatever it is) in our cells to let it know that finger nail
» belongs in that general and it regrew it. Now the guy in the article with
» the burned skin is hoping the Acell treatment will regrow skin. Now if that
» is the case wouldn’t hair follicles in the skin also be regenerated? I’m
» betting hell ya!
»
» What I find funny is why are the hair restoration industry so closed
» minded in this area? Their investing millions on research to regenerate the
» hair follicle when there is something already that does exactly that. I
» wish someone with a forward thinking mind in this industry get on top of
» this. I think the first one that does can confidently state they have cure
» baldness!

If you listen to the audio on the link I posted, the guy says that the person that ‘regrew’ his finger actually had his nail bed intact, so he never completely lost his nail and it would have regrown anyway.
(The guy even goes as far as to say that people can even regrow the very tips of their fingers any way?)

The guy only lost the very tip of the finger. (3/8ths of an inch or so)

What they are complaining about in the audio is the media saying that it is ‘magic pixie dust’ that can regrow a whole finger (other articles suggested that he lost half of his finger, at least to joints).
They also say that the ‘Extra cellular Matrix’ that people have referred to in news articles is already present in humans and shouldn’t be confused with the Pig bladder scaffolds made by Acell.
They aren’t saying Acell are lying or the guy never regrew any part of his finger they are basically complaining about how the media confuses/embellishes the truth and then that is what the public believe. They say that medical breakthroughs should be reported by PHD’s or people more in the know.

So far, it is unknown if it will be able to grow a full limb on a human. (although it works very well at healing open flesh wounds in animals, it hasn’t as far as I know grown a full limb or part of a limb on an animal either) But in terms of curing MPB, If it can regrow healthy skin and fur on animals, I don’t see how different it can be to regrow healthy skin and hair on humans. My only worry would be if you dermabrated your scalp Follica style and applied Acell scaffold to your head it may only regrow healthy, smooth, follicle free scalp skin.

Just creating smooth skin?

Possibly.

Or it may start healing up the existing hair follicles that were in damaged condition from the MPB and the dermabrasion. That seems like exactly the kind of thing Acell is so good at.

» » » The problem isn’t Acell here. If you originally read the whole story
» and
» » » not just the BBC headlines, then there’s no change in the story now.
» » »
» » » The company orignally just reported that the tip of a finger was
» » » regenerated. But the media basically called it “half a finger” when
» it
» » » never was . . . and now the media is “casting doubt on the story”
» that
» » it
» » » was really half a finger and not just the tip.
» »
» » Acell is definitely the cure. The guy that lost the finger tip actually
» » regrew back everything including the finger nail. It seems that the
» acell
» » matrix did stimulate the regrowth process but our bodies already had
» the
» » program (or whatever it is) in our cells to let it know that finger
» nail
» » belongs in that general and it regrew it. Now the guy in the article
» with
» » the burned skin is hoping the Acell treatment will regrow skin. Now if
» that
» » is the case wouldn’t hair follicles in the skin also be regenerated?
» I’m
» » betting hell ya!
» »
» » What I find funny is why are the hair restoration industry so closed
» » minded in this area? Their investing millions on research to regenerate
» the
» » hair follicle when there is something already that does exactly that. I
» » wish someone with a forward thinking mind in this industry get on top
» of
» » this. I think the first one that does can confidently state they have
» cure
» » baldness!
»
» If you listen to the audio on the link I posted, the guy says that the
» person that ‘regrew’ his finger actually had his nail bed intact, so he
» never completely lost his nail and it would have regrown anyway.
» (The guy even goes as far as to say that people can even regrow the very
» tips of their fingers any way?)
»
» The guy only lost the very tip of the finger. (3/8ths of an inch or so)
»
» What they are complaining about in the audio is the media saying that it
» is ‘magic pixie dust’ that can regrow a whole finger (other articles
» suggested that he lost half of his finger, at least to joints).
» They also say that the ‘Extra cellular Matrix’ that people have referred
» to in news articles is already present in humans and shouldn’t be confused
» with the Pig bladder scaffolds made by Acell.
» They aren’t saying Acell are lying or the guy never regrew any part of his
» finger they are basically complaining about how the media
» confuses/embellishes the truth and then that is what the public believe.
» They say that medical breakthroughs should be reported by PHD’s or people
» more in the know.
»
» So far, it is unknown if it will be able to grow a full limb on a human.
» (although it works very well at healing open flesh wounds in animals, it
» hasn’t as far as I know grown a full limb or part of a limb on an animal
» either) But in terms of curing MPB, If it can regrow healthy skin and fur
» on animals, I don’t see how different it can be to regrow healthy skin and
» hair on humans. My only worry would be if you dermabrated your scalp
» Follica style and applied Acell scaffold to your head it may only regrow
» healthy, smooth, follicle free scalp skin.

Forget dermabration. Secondly, about forget trying to restore the frontal or crown surface area where hair loss occurs. We should focus on whether or not the extracted skin and follicle from the back of the head will be restored once Acell cellular Matrix is applied. Just like the guy with the tip of his finger severed and re-grew when applied. If this substance works incredible well on small surface areas then this is what we should focus on.

Oh and the guy actually got his finger print back. His old finger print!!! That statement is so wild. Our cells have the exact blueprint for everything. Freaking amazing!

I once read in this forum about starting a consortium where the members contribute funds to research for the cure. I say lets start it. We’ll form an organization or company, hire a HT doctor, apply to receive human grade Acell cellular Matrix and test it on one of our members. Hell, I’ll be the test subject. The worst case scenario would be that the skin in the back of my head would re-grow with no hair follicle. But if it works, gentlemen FUE for everyone until you’re sick of fact that you have so much freaking hair…

“Forget dermabrasion” ?

Umm . . . You do realize the full costs and surgeries involved in a FUE regeneration game, don’t you?

It will take, what, maybe 20,000 grafts (or more) for a lot of guys in the higher Norwoods to really get a low hairline and full density back all over?

And we could only safely extract, what, maybe 1000 FUE grafts per day in the chair? Maybe extract 2-3000 safe-zone grafts in total per session, before letting it heal and repeating the whole shave-down & FUE surgery process for the next round (after waiting for another year each session)?

And FUE grafts are, what, about $7-12 per graft from the decent docs?

No thanks.

Even if Follica doesn’t work, I still think I’ll experiment with dermabrasion and Acell. I’d like to at least TRY to make Acell work the easy way before I commit to doing it the hard way.

» “Forget dermabrasion” ?
»
» Umm . . . You do realize the full costs and surgeries involved in a FUE
» regeneration game, don’t you?
»
»
»
» It will take, what, maybe 20,000 grafts (or more) for a lot of guys in the
» higher Norwoods to really get a low hairline and full density back all
» over?
»
» And we could only safely extract, what, maybe 1000 FUE grafts per day in
» the chair? Maybe extract 2-3000 safe-zone grafts in total per session,
» before letting it heal and repeating the whole shave-down & FUE surgery
» process for the next round (after waiting for another year each session)?
»
»
» And FUE grafts are, what, about $7-12 per graft from the decent docs?
»
»
»
»
»
»
» No thanks.
»
»
» Even if Follica doesn’t work, I still think I’ll experiment with
» dermabrasion and Acell. I’d like to at least TRY to make
» Acell work the easy way before I commit to doing it the hard way.

Do you also realize that done once, this will completely change the entire HT industry? The fact that unlimited supply is available will make HT unbelievably common. So common place that it be equivalent to going to the dentist twice a year for guys like us. That will lower the price significantly. For those that are already in NW 5 or worst, I’m sorry to say it may take 3-4 years before they get the full result but for the guys just starting to lose it may have to come in once every couple of years. By the way, I’m also going in for FUE in 2 weeks and I’m not paying $7 per graft. I also got a quote from the Armani Clinic and they also quoted me $5 per for FUE. FUE is slowly becoming the standard in the industry and is becoming more affordable. When did FUE first come out? Not that long ago I think. Now add the possibility of the Acell technology and then everything will completely change. The Baldness issue will completely be a choice of the individual.

cal
Or it may start healing up the existing hair follicles that were in
damaged condition from the MPB and the dermabrasion. That seems like
exactly the kind of thing Acell is so good at.

That’s the same thought burning a hole in the back of my mind. Follica essentially reprograms skin cells to turn into Follicles, but Acell could quite possibly repair the ones locked away in the scalp. Remember, the man who regained his lost fingertip sighted his nail grew back quicker.

I’m also wondering if the powder might work with dermabrasion OR a dermaroller.

whynot
I also got a quote from the Armani Clinic and they also quoted me $5 per for FUE.

Seriously, that sounds like the ol bait and switch. All I see from Armani is generic low, supermodel hairlines and FUT… The results look good on a younger man, but they’re unmanageable for a maturing hairline .

» Oh and the guy actually got his finger print back. His old finger print!!!
» That statement is so wild. Our cells have the exact blueprint for
» everything. Freaking amazing!

If you look at the before and after picture, you will realize that that statement is not that impressive at all.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://bp3.blogger.com/_n--_05QJKGY/Rwu43uEQc4I/AAAAAAAAAI4/efkNajxyrYA/s400/regrown%2Bfinger.jpg&imgrefurl=http://technutnews.com/category/regeneration/&h=261&w=400&sz=16&hl=en&start=4&um=1&tbnid=ehVZoP5e_OwgBM:&tbnh=81&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dacell%2Bregrows%2Bfinger%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

Using it after a fue doesn’t sound very appealing to me because to create moderate density would take years and years and lots and lots of procedures and the results in my opinion wont be that great.
It may be enough for some but its not the kind of cure I’m hoping for.

» » »
Secondly, about forget trying to restore the frontal
» or crown surface area where hair loss occurs. We should focus on whether or
» not the extracted skin and follicle from the back of the head will be
» restored once Acell cellular Matrix is applied. Just like the guy with the
» tip of his finger severed and re-grew when applied. If this substance works
» incredible well on small surface areas then this is what we should focus
» on.
»
» Oh and the guy actually got his finger print back. His old finger print!!!
» That statement is so wild. Our cells have the exact blueprint for
» everything.
Freaking amazing!

The verbiage above is indeed impressive. The fingerprint regrowing, even if only 3/4 of one inch of the finger was gone after 3 years, definitely indicates that the body regrew a more-or-less precise copy of the man’s finger. If this could be done with a FUE-transplant, one could get a precise copy of their donor hair to regrow. YOU WOULD NOT WANT A PRECISE COPY of recipient area scalp hair though…it would just go bald again. The hope with Follica is that if DHT isn’t present during the process (hence the finasteride/dutasteride), androgen levels near the follicle will be very low in its formation, and perhpas its characteristics will be changed. Finger digit ratios in both sexes are altered by higher androgens in fetal development.

ACELL is derived from a pig-bladder extract in powder form. Quite frankly I wonder if one could buy a powdered pig bladder extract…would they get the same effect? I wonder if it will be found to block EGF, etc?
»
» …