Aderans updated their site

It adds up perfectly. A very small percentage of biotech startup ideas actually make it to market and become wildly successful ventures. But don’tlet me get you too down. I think Follica stands a good chance of becoming a successful product. It’s just that I believe it will have some limitations that ultimately make some people continue to search for a better solution.

By that logic, one could argue TRC is a colossal failure.

IOW, HM will be a better cure, but Follica might get here sooner. Then
again, I could be wrong. I don’t claim to be a hair prophet. I just try to
follow along logically with how I perceive the science to work and express
my opinions.

I’m fine with that idea.

Today’s prospects are dismal in every sense of the word; from: snake oil regimes that only promise to strip your wallet to old drugs that rarely regrow anything to woefully overpriced transplants that lock people into a lifetime of mundane surgeries. I welcome anything that offers us a respite from these traitorous offerings. I welcome anything with the potential for quick market penetration. I welcome anything that’s actually proven to grow hair (DHT susceptible or not).

I have to say, I disagree with nearly everything you have said in this thread, your logic regarding Folica is so flawed.

I have a few comments on all this:

– Aderans -

Washenik, ICX . . . whatever. Anyone who believes a treatment that’s barely into phase#1 is coming to market in X-number of years, is delusional or misinformed.

I think most people are just too quick to believe any piece of a sentence saying “it’s coming soon.” Look at the medical news in general: There’s another story every week about some revolutionary medical discovery, and 10 years later very few of them are EVER actually in our living rooms. MPB is no exception to this rule.

Hypothetically, let’s imagine if Aderans, Folica, and ICX all got together and called a joint press conference declaring to the world that no cure is coming in a decade.

Even if that happened, I’ll bet ONE PERSON could still make 50% of the discussion in the internet hair loss community discuss otherwise the very next day. All it takes is one article in a paper after that press conference. It doesn’t need to be a legit writer, or a legit source, or a legit idea in the first place.

This is the real problem - that 10 informed-source quotes saying “no” can always be counteracted by 1 uninformed quote saying “yes.”

– DHT resistance and Folica -

I agree, Folica would probably grow new hairs that were just as DHT susceptible as the old ones.

But, wasn’t it the case that if a teen boy’s hair follicles don’t see hormones during puberty, then he won’t bald later? As in, he won’t go bald later even if he’s got MPB in his genetics and he has normal androgen levels as an adult?

I think one of the zillions of hormone & hermaphrodite studies bore out this idea somewhere. If so, this is a perfect place to hang some hopes on the possibility of MPB-resistant new Folica hairs.

And, also, think of the anecdotal stories about wound-induced hair regrowth. I don’t recall the typical story ending with, “But then those new hairs went bald again 2 years later.”

» Follica is a nice thought. But IMO, the hair won’t be DHT resistant.

what hair ? The follica method involves creating new follicles, and first they must prove that they can do it on a human scalp ( not to mention it’s a bald human scalp ), which is very different than a claim in a patent, second they must certificate that it won’t cause any problems, because a process that is able to create new follicles is a very powerful process and obviously can be dangerous, some people is talking about creating new follicles as if it were as easy as eating a cake. Then, if it can be done, and it’s safe, I have some “esthetic” issues with it, for example … for people that need to recreate a hairline, how are they going to do that ? it could end up with hair growing on your forehead, so I think there are a lot of problems to be solved before considering the possibility that the hairs maybe aren’t DHT resistant. I think to remember that one of the follica members said that he was afraid of the high expectations about follica that were being made, am I right ?. Now that I’ve been thinking about all these factors, I look at follica as a very experimental technology, and I doubt it very much that it will be give us a satisfactory solution ( usable hair on your balding scalp :wink: ) It doesn’t mean that what they are doing is not useful, maybe it will be just a step.

OTOH, in my opinion creating new follicles is an ugly solution, regenerating the old damaged ones is a clean and elegant approach, but so difficult to achieve.

For people like me, I’m a NW2 ( I think ) where the problem areas are the hairline and the temples, I HOPE that aderans and icx can finally have something useful for us, maybe it won’t be like we thought it would be some years ago, but if it can give us “enough” density at the hairline and temples, then I take it, it could be like a superpowerful minoxidil, but working and working for ( almost ) everybody. For more advanced kinds of balding, I can’t see nothing for now. But I visit this site almost everyday hoping that I will read something that will change my mind, because it’s obvious that I can be quite wrong, and I would be very happy of being wrong.

» I’ve seen more executive competence

excuse me ?

» and homebrew success

pics ?

» with Follica in 9
» months than we’ve seen with Intercytex in what? 3,4,5 years? You’ll forgive
» me for if I don’t agree with just yet.

» Since the procedure would form follicles within a month, you could
» probably have this done three times in a half year and cover your entire
» scalp.

Why not doing it every week … better … every day ?, it’s as easy as chewing gum

We still don’t know the outcome of the TRC story. Kemp granted me an interview, but I got the note late and ended up sleeping instead (due to the time lag, you have to do the interview at weird hours). Tressless said it could get me another one, but I’ve decided to wait until phase II completes before I pursue it further. I think things will be more relevant by then. Even if the news is not so good, it will help people to know where things stand.

I agree that anything that comes along and helps is welcome in a major way. Cotsarelis is a smart guy, so maybe he has a few things up his sleeve. :slight_smile:

<<<One potential roadblock to using the wound-Wnt method to treat people is that humans are not in the habit of leaving gaping wounds open. But sutured wounds did not produce new hair follicles in mice. “When you have a surgical incision you put the edges together and sew them up," Cotsarelis says. "So it’s possible we’re actually inhibiting this process in normal incisions.”>>>

So why not do intensive FUE harvesting and then Follica the left over open wound sites?