A Few Doctor\'s Replies About Acell

I e-mailed the list of Doctors about Acell on Wednesday of last week. I know that SPQR also e-mailed the week before and received a few responses from the doctors. I will copy and paste their replies, but I am going to remove their names because I’m not sure who would be upset if I post their name on this forum. A couple of them were discouraging but, remember, they have not tried this specific product so they are speaking in terms of what they THINK will or will not happen.

Here are the replies:

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT HOWEVER, AS ANYONE WORTH HIS SALT I WOULD HAVE
TO EVALUATE THIS PRODUCT WITH SCIERNTIFIC DATA
WHICH WOULD INCLUDE A DOUBLE BLIND STUDY.
i THINK I WILL ASK THE COM[ANY IF THEY WOULD LIKE TO PARTICIPATE IN RESERCH.
iN ADDITION THIS PRODUCT WILL BE DISCUSSED AT THE HAIR SOCIETY MEETING
THIS FALL

THANK FOR YOUR INPUT

Dear Mr XXXXXXXX

Thanks for the email. I looked at the photos. the wound healing is very impressive.I am not sure that the material promoted hair growth. I think that what we are seeing are the effects of wound contraction more than hair growth. Also canine fur grows differently than primate hair.
In any case the material may be very useful. I think they need to do a controlled study in humans with IRB approval.It might be interesting to try in humans who undergo scalp surgery for removal of a skin cancer. In some of these situations we allow the wound to granulate in anyway.

Thank you Bill for this information and I can see the excitement when you see the photos of animal wounds and hair re growth. I have also given you Case Studies of Equine wounds and rapid healing with hair regrowth with PRP and our natural protein matrix, but regrowing hair from a wound on an animal and regrowing hair after the follicle is removed from a human is very different. We will continue in our research, that is also FDA approved and based our experience in 28,000 human procedures and the answers we are all working toward may fall somewhere in the middle. Lets keep in contact and share information as we are all in this together.

From a Very Prominent Doctor Who Posts on Hairsite Often:

Good Morning Bill,
I have forwarded this information to Dr. XXXX and thanks… We have actually heard quite a bit about this product especially in the last few weeks…
Do you work for this company?

I replied that I do not work for the company and received:

Thanks Bill… I was just curious… we got so many sales people posing as patient
Thanks and we are taking a look at Acell…

Mr. xxxx,

Thank you for the informative pieces of information. I will certainly forward this on to our medical team as well as review the materials myself. I too hope that an unlimited donor supply would be available. This would be a wonderful breakthrough.
Regards,
XXXXXXX

Bill,

Thank you for your email. The video and photos were very interesting.

If I am not mistaken, ACell’s products currently consist of a porcine-derived protein sheet or matrix. There are a number of these types of products that have been on the market for years. In my training in General Surgery over 15 yrs ago, we used quite a bit of these types of products to help heal large surface area wounds all over the human body with good success. Personally, seven yrs ago in my hair restoration practice, I used a porcine sheet for a patient with a very large area of scalp which had been injured and removed down to the skull. Amazing regrowth of skin occurred via islands of tissue proliferating up through the exposed surface of the skull finally coalescing into complete (yet thin) coverage in a few months. Many of the natural components of skin were noted in the regrowth of these human patients I’ve seen personally. However, sadly, not hair follicles. That patient I personally treated here in Florida eventually needed transplants to cover the area.

With regard to patients achieving their goals with current levels of hair transplant ‘technology’ I believe your statement is partly false. We know through rigorous research projects undertaken by the ISHRS (International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery) that the average patient today reaches and maintains his hair restoration goal in an average of two sessions. My dad, a Norwood 7, needed three, btw. This is mainly due to the following factors:

1.  Large amounts of follicles are moved in each transplant session.

2.  A high density of small incisions often allow a ‘one pass’ result in bare areas

3.  Medical treatments, when used correctly, stop the hair loss progression in the non-transplanted hair at least 90% of the time

4.  The majority of patients treated today have never had old-style transplants (which depleted and wasted precious donor hair).

In other words, if you were completely satisfied after you painted your house with two coats of ‘permanent,’ weather-proof paint, what good would an unlimited supply of paint do for you?

A recent ‘cover’ article in The Hair Transplant Forum (our most prominent journal), in fact, highlighted the point that most patients today won’t really need some kind of ‘hair multiplication’ to achieve a satisfying result, despite the media’s fascination with that kind of technology. The key to treating hair loss is not really creating new follicles, but reversing and preventing their miniaturization at an early stage, before the hair loss is severe.

Therefore, it is my prediction that the recently available genetic testing for hair loss, will be the most significant breakthrough in hair loss this year.

Sincerely,

Dr. XXXXX

From a Very Prominent Doctor Who Posts on Hairsite Often:

Bill,
Thank you for your email. The doctors are aware of Acell and have been investigating it. I will forward your email to them as I am sure they will find the links very useful.

Paraphrased Replies that were Forwarded to Me from SPQR:

• from Dr. XXXXX
    “I am already receiving samples of the material.
    Thanks”

• from XXXXXXXX
    “We have very good relations with dr. Jones in Ontario. He is going to evaluate the product and report.Depending on his findings we may be interested in using the product. Greetings, XXXXXXX”

some of these doctors dont seem interested in any further advances in hair technology at all…its just use finasteride and get a HT to a few of them.

I dont think they realize fully that if more donor-area hair could be made, many more people would get hair transplants with those assurances. In fact, many more people would forgoe the drugs and get HT’s, safe in the knowledge that more donore hair could be “made”.

It will eventually, Bill, be up to ACELL to really “try this” with humans in a trial. Dont look for a great deal of help from the ISHRS. They like things the way they are. The ISHRS fought FUE-type (CIT, etc) transplants, and they will probably be at the very least, indifferent to this.

The one doc claiming the hair growth is due to hair growing back in from the sides of the wounds is an outright liar, whomever he is. That is ridiculous. New fur was definitely being made----no doubt.

The problem is that 99% of Dr’s aren’t scientists, They are nothing more than glorified mechanics.

benji
some of these doctors dont seem interested in any further advances in hair technology at all…its just use finasteride and get a HT to a few of them.

It will eventually, Bill, be up to ACELL to really “try this” with humans in a trial. Dont look for a great deal of help from the ISHRS. They like things the way they are. The ISHRS fought FUE-type (CIT, etc) transplants,
and they will probably be at the very least, indifferent to this.

Dogstar
The problem is that 99% of Dr’s aren’t scientists, They are nothing more
than glorified mechanics.

AMEN TO THAT !!!
I’m often amazed by HT doctors. Just recently, I found out about the ‘Punch Hair Matic’… it promises to do FUE twice as fast (at, most likely, half the price), and no doctor wants to talk about it.

The damn thing was released in 2004. 2004 for Christ’s Sake!!! Imagine all the guys that walked away with strip surgery, couldn’t afford to repair their strip surgery, or walked away spending their life-savings on an inadequate number of FUE grafts since 2004. Imagine how many people this Hair Matic could-have helped if a few HT doctors took the initiative.

None of these doctors want to evolve. It’s like there’s this great company that invented a dermabrasion device and all the top dermatologists decided to ignore it’s existence in favor of good old fashion sandpaper.

» I e-mailed the list of Doctors about Acell on Wednesday of last week. I
» know that SPQR also e-mailed the week before and received a few responses
» from the doctors. I will copy and paste their replies, but I am going to
» remove their names because I’m not sure who would be upset if I post their
» name on this forum. A couple of them were discouraging but, remember, they
» have not tried this specific product so they are speaking in terms of what
» they THINK will or will not happen.
»
» Here are the replies:
»
» THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT HOWEVER, AS ANYONE WORTH HIS SALT I
» WOULD HAVE
» TO EVALUATE THIS PRODUCT WITH SCIERNTIFIC DATA
» WHICH WOULD INCLUDE A DOUBLE BLIND STUDY.
» i THINK I WILL ASK THE COM[ANY IF THEY WOULD LIKE TO PARTICIPATE IN
» RESERCH.
» iN ADDITION THIS PRODUCT WILL BE DISCUSSED AT THE HAIR SOCIETY MEETING
» THIS FALL
»
» THANK FOR YOUR INPUT
»
»
» Dear Mr XXXXXXXX
»
» Thanks for the email. I looked at the photos. the wound healing is very
» impressive.I am not sure that the material promoted hair growth. I think
» that what we are seeing are the effects of wound contraction more than hair
» growth. Also canine fur grows differently than primate hair.
» In any case the material may be very useful. I think they need to do a
» controlled study in humans with IRB approval.It might be interesting to try
» in humans who undergo scalp surgery for removal of a skin cancer. In some
» of these situations we allow the wound to granulate in anyway.
»
»
» Thank you Bill for this information and I can see the
» excitement when you see the photos of animal wounds and hair re growth. I
» have also given you Case Studies of Equine wounds and rapid healing with
» hair regrowth with PRP and our natural protein matrix, but regrowing hair
» from a wound on an animal and regrowing hair after the follicle is removed
» from a human is very different. We will continue in our research, that is
» also FDA approved and based our experience in 28,000 human procedures and
» the answers we are all working toward may fall somewhere in the middle.
» Lets keep in contact and share information as we are all in this
» together.
»
»
» From a Very Prominent Doctor Who Posts on Hairsite Often:
»
»
» Good Morning Bill,
» I have forwarded this information to Dr. XXXX and thanks… We have
» actually heard quite a bit about this product especially in the last few
» weeks…
» Do you work for this company?
»
» I replied that I do not work for the company and received:
»
» Thanks Bill… I was just curious… we got so many sales people
» posing as patient
» Thanks and we are taking a look at Acell…
»
»
» Mr. xxxx,
»
» Thank you for the informative pieces of information. I will certainly
» forward this on to our medical team as well as review the materials myself.
» I too hope that an unlimited donor supply would be available. This would
» be a wonderful breakthrough.
» Regards,
» XXXXXXX
»
»
» Bill,
»
» Thank you for your email. The video and photos were very interesting.
»
» If I am not mistaken, ACell’s products currently consist of a
» porcine-derived protein sheet or matrix. There are a number of these
» types of products that have been on the market for years. In my training
» in General Surgery over 15 yrs ago, we used quite a bit of these types of
» products to help heal large surface area wounds all over the human body
» with good success. Personally, seven yrs ago in my hair restoration
» practice, I used a porcine sheet for a patient with a very large area of
» scalp which had been injured and removed down to the skull. Amazing
» regrowth of skin occurred via islands of tissue proliferating up through
» the exposed surface of the skull finally coalescing into complete (yet
» thin) coverage in a few months. Many of the natural components of skin
» were noted in the regrowth of these human patients I’ve seen personally.
» However, sadly, not hair follicles. That patient I personally treated here
» in Florida eventually needed transplants to cover the area.
»
» With regard to patients achieving their goals with current levels of hair
» transplant ‘technology’ I believe your statement is partly false. We
» know through rigorous research projects undertaken by the ISHRS
» (International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery) that the average
» patient today reaches and maintains his hair restoration goal in an average
» of two sessions. My dad, a Norwood 7, needed three, btw. This is mainly
» due to the following factors:
»
» 1) Large amounts of follicles are moved in each transplant session.
»
» 2) A high density of small incisions often allow a ‘one pass’ result
» in bare areas
»
» 3) Medical treatments, when used correctly, stop the hair loss
» progression in the non-transplanted hair at least 90% of the time
»
» 4) The majority of patients treated today have never had old-style
» transplants (which depleted and wasted precious donor hair).
»
» In other words, if you were completely satisfied after you painted your
» house with two coats of ‘permanent,’ weather-proof paint, what good would
» an unlimited supply of paint do for you?
»
» A recent ‘cover’ article in The Hair Transplant Forum (our most prominent
» journal), in fact, highlighted the point that most patients today won’t
» really need some kind of ‘hair multiplication’ to achieve a satisfying
» result, despite the media’s fascination with that kind of technology. The
» key to treating hair loss is not really creating new follicles, but
» reversing and preventing their miniaturization at an early stage, before
» the hair loss is severe.
»
» Therefore, it is my prediction that the recently available genetic testing
» for hair loss, will be the most significant breakthrough in hair loss this
» year.
»
» Sincerely,
»
» Dr. XXXXX
»
»
»
»
» Bill,
» Thank you for your email. The doctors are aware of Acell and have been
» investigating it. I will forward your email to them as I am sure they will
» find the links very useful.
»
»
» Paraphrased Replies that were Forwarded to Me from SPQR:
»
» - from Dr. XXXXX
» “I am already receiving samples of the material.
» Thanks”
»
» - from XXXXXXXX
» “We have very good relations with dr. Jones in Ontario. He is going to
» evaluate the product and report.Depending on his findings we may be
» interested in using the product. Greetings, XXXXXXX”

After reading these comments and previous posts, I think that we should no longer have any hope with Acell. If you really think about it with logic, cutting open your scalp and attempting to use a solution to grow back that area to its original state with the hope of having unlimited donor supply is really far-fetched when you think about it. Plus, cutting out the area again after it regrew would probably be traumatic to that area. My prediction is that extracting a single hair follicle and multiplying it will be the only real way to have unlimited donor hair.

» After reading these comments and previous posts, I think that we should no
» longer have any hope with Acell. If you really think about it with logic,
» cutting open your scalp and attempting to use a solution to grow back that
» area to its original state with the hope of having unlimited donor supply
» is really far-fetched when you think about it. Plus, cutting out the area
» again after it regrew would probably be traumatic to that area. My
» prediction is that extracting a single hair follicle and multiplying it
» will be the only real way to have unlimited donor hair.

It’s not about losing faith in technology; it’s about losing faith in the people responsible for implementing it. I could run off a list of technology that got sidelined because of a few grossly inept individuals (from the electric car to stem cells to hair multiplication)

The harsh truth is that this product may make them nervous. Indeed, if it works in the manner in which you are hoping, growing back donor hair, then it may eradicate transplantation completely. And that’s a lot of business and a lot of money to lose.
P.S. The spelling and grammar from the first reply is quite simply atrocious from a professional person.

» The harsh truth is that this product may make them nervous. Indeed, if it
» works in the manner in which you are hoping, growing back donor hair, then
» it may eradicate transplantation completely. And that’s a lot of business
» and a lot of money to lose.

I’ve been saying this for months. But nobody seemed to take the idea very seriously.

The HT industry has shown very little interest in Acell so far. Some have taken that as suggestions that they don’t believe it can’t work. I see more than one possible motivation.

Even docs who deeply wish there was a better option for bald guys aren’t gonna be immune to having some trepidation about trying this stuff.

We’re not merely asking some HT doc to stand by and potentially watch his career get torn down overnight. We’re asking somebody to risk his own complication liabilities from a patient just to be the one to swing the first axe.

» The harsh truth is that this product may make them nervous.

If acell proves that it works ( for whatever you want ) this is irrelevant

» » The harsh truth is that this product may make them nervous.
»
» If acell …

the company, I mean

didnt that one doc says it works to regrow skin but didnt generate follicles?

» didnt that one doc says it works to regrow skin but didnt generate
» follicles?

No he said a similar product to acell, which to the best of our knowledge could be completely and utterly different.

» didnt that one doc says it works to regrow skin but didnt generate
» follicles?

Yes. I was originally discouraged by this, but when I thought it throught, I still have hope for this company. He has used similar products, but the most recent was 7 years ago. This product (obviously) involves modern technology that may not have been used in similar sheets. The fact that Acell was “held up in court” over patent litigation until recently provides me with hope that it is an improved version of similar products. Why would Purdue waste the time / money to sue Acell for the rights to the product if it was nothing more than what is currently on the market?

Furthermore, I disagree with the doctor when he disputes the fact that available donor hair is a major limiting factor with a HT. I see few pictures that show a “completely full head of hair” from current HT techniques. Obviously, when HT doctors use body hair for a HT it is because of the fact that the patient has a limited amount of donor hair (on their scalp) available to them. I believe that a patient can get “coverage” from a transplant, but not a thick head of hair (that can’t be seen through in certain types of light).

I’m not sure what he meant by:
"Medical treatments, when used correctly, stop the hair loss progression in the non-transplanted hair at least 90% of the time"
I’m not sure if he is talking about Propecia / Rogaine. If that is the case…then I completely disagree. I haven’t heard that many success stories with these products.

Again, I don’t want to build up anyones hopes on this product. It may or may not improve existing HT techniques. Hopefully, it will regenerate removed donor tissue and hair. Even if that is not the case, I hope that it will benefit people with bad strip scars by regenerating donor tissue with no scarring. Time will tell, and it should tell relatively soon. I am glad that several doctors are “taking a look” at Acell or trying it. I know of at least five doctors (of these five, three post on Hairsite regularly and considered to be “top” doctors)that already have the Acell material and several other doctors who have expressed interest in it. I’m just happy to know that it is at least being tried by several doctors and being given a chance.

Take Care,
Bill

Bill,when we can get results from acell and jones?

» Bill,when we can get results from acell and jones?

I’m not sure Max. I would encourage you to contact them and ask how the material is working out. I haven’t spoken with Dr. Jones at all about this product.

I will say this. The doctor should know in 1-2 months after use of the product if it will benefit HT patients. I’m just not sure if any of these doctors have actually tried it yet and if not, when they will. Either way, it should be relatively soon (not the traditional “in five years” that we’ve heard for the last 10 years). It will be months, not years.

Take Care,
Bill

» The harsh truth is that this product may make them nervous. Indeed, if it
» works in the manner in which you are hoping, growing back donor hair, then
» it may eradicate transplantation completely. And that’s a lot of business
» and a lot of money to lose.
» P.S. The spelling and grammar from the first reply is quite simply
» atrocious from a professional person.

I wish you we’re right, but I disagree. If it regenerates donor hair, we will still need donor hair transplanted to the top of the scalp from HT doctors. If it would regenerate hair in the balding areas of the scalp, then you would be correct…but I don’t have much hope for that. I just hope that it is tried in every manner possible to see which method (if any) works best.

Take Care,
Bill

» growth.

willy, i mentioned this before here. what appears to be new hair growth seems to be just the result of the wounds contracting and closing in from both sides. this effectively stretches the surrounding hair and makes it look like new hair growing, but it’s not really new hair, it’s really just the same hair that was there originally, with the skin just stretching to close the wound.

new hair growth (or lack of it) could easily be verified by tagging or marking some of the existing hairs around the wound, to determine if new hairs are actually being created, or if the same hairs aren’t just moving inward as the wound closes.

» » The harsh truth is that this product may make them nervous. Indeed, if
» it
» » works in the manner in which you are hoping, growing back donor hair,
» then
» » it may eradicate transplantation completely. And that’s a lot of
» business
» » and a lot of money to lose.
» » P.S. The spelling and grammar from the first reply is quite simply
» » atrocious from a professional person.
»
» I wish you we’re right, but I disagree. If it regenerates donor hair, we
» will still need donor hair transplanted to the top of the scalp from HT
» doctors. If it would regenerate hair in the balding areas of the scalp,
» then you would be correct…but I don’t have much hope for that. I
» just hope that it is tried in every manner possible to see which method (if
» any) works best.
»
» Take Care,
» Bill

i agree with you, willy… IF this stuff works, the ht doctors will be happy because hair transplants still need to be done… this doesn’t eliminate the need for hair transplants.

but the real question is, is it really growing new hair? i think that is doubtful, because as one of the docs said in answer to your letter, it looks more like the result of wound contraction than new hair growth.

if it were really new hair growth, wouldn’t we see small, vellus-looking hairs at the immediate margins of the wound? instead, it looks like we see what looks like the same long, terminal hairs growing at the edges of the wound - they look the same length at the beginning and the end. it doesn’t look like any new hairs are being “birthed” because we don’t see many hairs that look like new, baby hairs at the edges of the wounds.

» I e-mailed the list of Doctors about Acell on Wednesday of last week. I
» know that SPQR also e-mailed the week before and received a few responses
» from the doctors. I will copy and paste their replies, but I am going to
» remove their names because I’m not sure who would be upset if I post their
» name on this forum. A couple of them were discouraging but, remember, they
» have not tried this specific product so they are speaking in terms of what
» they THINK will or will not happen.
»
» Here are the replies:
»
» THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT HOWEVER, AS ANYONE WORTH HIS SALT I
» WOULD HAVE
» TO EVALUATE THIS PRODUCT WITH SCIERNTIFIC DATA
» WHICH WOULD INCLUDE A DOUBLE BLIND STUDY.
» i THINK I WILL ASK THE COM[ANY IF THEY WOULD LIKE TO PARTICIPATE IN
» RESERCH.
» iN ADDITION THIS PRODUCT WILL BE DISCUSSED AT THE HAIR SOCIETY MEETING
» THIS FALL
»
» THANK FOR YOUR INPUT
»
»
» Dear Mr XXXXXXXX
»
» growth. Also canine fur grows differently than primate hair.
» In any case the material may be very useful. I think they need to do a
» controlled study in humans with IRB approval.It might be interesting to try
» in humans who undergo scalp surgery for removal of a skin cancer. In some
» of these situations we allow the wound to granulate in anyway.
»
»
» Thank you Bill for this information and I can see the
» excitement when you see the photos of animal wounds and hair re growth. I
» have also given you Case Studies of Equine wounds and rapid healing with
» hair regrowth with PRP and our natural protein matrix, but regrowing hair
» from a wound on an animal and regrowing hair after the follicle is removed
» from a human is very different. We will continue in our research, that is
» also FDA approved and based our experience in 28,000 human procedures and
» the answers we are all working toward may fall somewhere in the middle.
» Lets keep in contact and share information as we are all in this
» together.
»
»
»
»
» Good Morning Bill,
» I have forwarded this information to Dr. XXXX and thanks… We have
» actually heard quite a bit about this product especially in the last few
» weeks…
» Do you work for this company?
»
» I replied that I do not work for the company and received:
»
» Thanks Bill… I was just curious… we got so many sales people
» posing as patient
» Thanks and we are taking a look at Acell…
»
»
» Mr. xxxx,
»
» Thank you for the informative pieces of information. I will certainly
» forward this on to our medical team as well as review the materials myself.
» I too hope that an unlimited donor supply would be available. This would
» be a wonderful breakthrough.
» Regards,
» XXXXXXX
»
»
» Bill,
»
» Thank you for your email. The video and photos were very interesting.
»
» If I am not mistaken, ACell’s products currently consist of a
» porcine-derived protein sheet or matrix. There are a number of these
» types of products that have been on the market for years. In my training
» in General Surgery over 15 yrs ago, we used quite a bit of these types of
» products to help heal large surface area wounds all over the human body
» with good success. Personally, seven yrs ago in my hair restoration
» practice, I used a porcine sheet for a patient with a very large area of
» scalp which had been injured and removed down to the skull. Amazing
» regrowth of skin occurred via islands of tissue proliferating up through
» the exposed surface of the skull finally coalescing into complete (yet
» thin) coverage in a few months. Many of the natural components of skin
» were noted in the regrowth of these human patients I’ve seen personally.
» However, sadly, not hair follicles. That patient I personally treated here
» in Florida eventually needed transplants to cover the area.
»
» With regard to patients achieving their goals with current levels of hair
» transplant ‘technology’ I believe your statement is partly false. We
» know through rigorous research projects undertaken by the ISHRS
» (International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery) that the average
» patient today reaches and maintains his hair restoration goal in an average
» of two sessions. My dad, a Norwood 7, needed three, btw. This is mainly
» due to the following factors:
»
» 1) Large amounts of follicles are moved in each transplant session.
»
» 2) A high density of small incisions often allow a ‘one pass’ result
» in bare areas
»
» 3) Medical treatments, when used correctly, stop the hair loss
» progression in the non-transplanted hair at least 90% of the time
»
» 4) The majority of patients treated today have never had old-style
» transplants (which depleted and wasted precious donor hair).
»
» In other words, if you were completely satisfied after you painted your
» house with two coats of ‘permanent,’ weather-proof paint, what good would
» an unlimited supply of paint do for you?
»
» A recent ‘cover’ article in The Hair Transplant Forum (our most prominent
» journal), in fact, highlighted the point that most patients today won’t
» really need some kind of ‘hair multiplication’ to achieve a satisfying
» result, despite the media’s fascination with that kind of technology. The
» key to treating hair loss is not really creating new follicles, but
» reversing and preventing their miniaturization at an early stage, before
» the hair loss is severe.
»
» Therefore, it is my prediction that the recently available genetic testing
» for hair loss, will be the most significant breakthrough in hair loss this
» year.
»
» Sincerely,
»
» Dr. XXXXX
»
»
»
»
» Bill,
» Thank you for your email. The doctors are aware of Acell and have been
» investigating it. I will forward your email to them as I am sure they will
» find the links very useful.
»
»
» Paraphrased Replies that were Forwarded to Me from SPQR:
»
» - from Dr. XXXXX
» “I am already receiving samples of the material.
» Thanks”
»
» - from XXXXXXXX
» “We have very good relations with dr. Jones in Ontario. He is going to
» evaluate the product and report.Depending on his findings we may be
» interested in using the product. Greetings, XXXXXXX”

Willy,

My guess is the universal ECM product used on the scalp would have been the pig intestinal ECM (gets 95% regeneration of tissues), which is weaker than bladder ECM.

http://www.biomed.metu.edu.tr/courses/term_papers/artificial%20skin_cinar_files/image061.gif
http://www.biomed.metu.edu.tr/courses/term_papers/artificial%20skin_cinar_files/image062.gif
http://www.biomed.metu.edu.tr/courses/term_papers/artificial%20skin_cinar_files/image063.gif

The three links above are how a lesser universal ecm product regenerates skin, which I got from another website. Imagine what fought over in court Acell ECM should do.

Also regarding not regenerating hair as he said when it regenerated the scalp…

It doesn’t logically fit the theory of how ECM works. My understanding is that ‘ECM’ regenerate the tissues around it locally. If it picks up a proportion of certain factors and ‘laminins’ in the next tissues and picks up what switches are needed, it create what is near.

(I honestly think no one has picked up just how universal and site specific it is, and factored in things like our bodies (mammals, reptiles, animals) are using the same universal ECM to constantly regenerate every tissue specific that is needed, that it directs traffic, etc…)

My thinking regarding the hair, it would be that the hair laminins did not stimulate the ECM for some reason… Perhaps you get a cycle of laminins???

This is really disturbing to me.

“A recent ‘cover’ article in The Hair Transplant Forum (our most prominent journal), in fact, highlighted the point that most patients today won’t really need some kind of ‘hair multiplication’ to achieve a satisfying result…”

If he and a majority of docs really believe that, that’s trouble. Regardless of whether ACell works or not, there seems to be this attitude in the profession that what they have right now is actually good.

I don’t want something that is “cosmetically acceptable”. I want my hair back. If I had an area that had 100 hairs before, I want 100 hairs back. I don’t want 40 hairs there to give me the “illusion” of good hair. I want good hair.

I know many people feel this way. The lack of donor hair is the main reason I will not get a HT. With unlimited donor, not only can I achieve my original thickness, but if I somehow choose the wrong doc, I can always get it repaired because I have unlimited donor. That is not an option right now.

I think maybe his attitude is one of the biggest hurdles to overcome. Actually convincing them that they have a shoddy product and it’s NOT nearly good enough.