Your Advice Please

Hello,

I am looking at having a hair transplant done sometime later this year. I have been losing hair consistently over the past years, with accelerated loss over the past year or so. I believe this is probably because in previous years I kept a shaved head, but have been using Kerasome and Toppik over the last year. The application of those products means a lot of damage to the hair, plus the tediousness implies that I leave it on for a couple of days instead of washing it out everyday.

I am currently using .25 finasteride per day. I have previously tried to use dutaseride, but it gives me the worth black circles under my eyes.

I am thinking of getting 2500 grafts through strip surgery. I would like to know if that will give me decent enough coverage to avoid or minimise the use of cover-up products. Also, is the strip scar usually on the back of the head or the side of the head?

I realise a lot of people think its is best to wait for HM, but it seems that HM is a good while away. At least before it can produce any significant results. Also, others believe that if no other medical gains are made in the field then you’re left with transplanted patches. I don’t mind looking like I have hair loss when I am actually meant to have hair loss (50 years). Plus, one can always keep an shaved head at anytime in their life. The need is now when I am 30!

I’ve posted a couple of my photos. Would 2500 make any real difference? I would like most of the grafts in my crown and in the side part that I have, but also a few in my front line.

Thank you very much in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Ak

Hello,

I am looking at having a hair transplant done sometime later this year. I have been losing hair consistently over the past years, with accelerated loss over the past year or so. I believe this is probably because in previous years I kept a shaved head, but have been using Kerasome and Toppik over the last year. The application of those products means a lot of damage to the hair, plus the tediousness implies that I leave it on for a couple of days instead of washing it out everyday.

I am currently using .25 finasteride per day. I have previously tried to use dutaseride, but it gives me the worth black circles under my eyes.

I am thinking of getting 2500 grafts through strip surgery. I would like to know if that will give me decent enough coverage to avoid or minimise the use of cover-up products. Also, is the strip scar usually on the back of the head or the side of the head?

I realise a lot of people think its is best to wait for HM, but it seems that HM is a good while away. At least before it can produce any significant results. Also, others believe that if no other medical gains are made in the field then you’re left with transplanted patches. I don’t mind looking like I have hair loss when I am actually meant to have hair loss (50 years). Plus, one can always keep an shaved head at anytime in their life. The need is now when I am 30!

I’ve posted a couple of my photos. Would 2500 make any real difference? I would like most of the grafts in my crown and in the side part that I have, but also a few in my front line.

Thank you very much in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Ak

This is so weird. How did you manage to keep the front intact? This is the 2nd time I saw in this forum that people keep all they have in the front and only lost the crown. I thought guys always lose the front and temples first.

Why don’t you use minox ? Minox should regrow some hair for your crown. It’s actually more effective for the crown than the hairline so I would definitely use minox. And regarding HM, welcome to the club :slight_smile: we have all been waiting for at least 5 years.

» I am looking at having a hair transplant done sometime later this year. I
» have been losing hair consistently over the past years, with accelerated
» loss over the past year or so.

If you feel that your hair loss is accelarating the past year, I suggest you NOT do anything at this point. It is not a good idea to have hair transplant at a time when your hair loss is progressing faster than normal. You always want to do it when your hair loss has somewhat stabilized otherwise it will be like chasing a moving target.

If you want, email me hairsite@aol.com and I can get different doctors review your case and let you know their opinions.

Just shave it back to what you were used to. HT is not a good idea if the hairloss is accelerating.

» Just shave it back to what you were used to. HT is not a good idea if the
» hairloss is accelerating.

I agree. The long hair is not a good look, less is more. I think you can get away with a very short haircut all over. That will buy yourself some time unitl HM.

If you cannot stabilize your hair, and your hair loss is accelerating

a HT is a waste of money

no matter how good it looks you are doomed to spend 10s of thousands of dollars chasing your continuing balding, and eventually your balance of available hair to what you need, will tip , in the negative…and you will be stuck with a rapidly thinning balding scalp, with previous tranplants surrounded by an island of bald, will look freakish

this happens to a lot of guys, and they wish they had never even considered a transplant and just gone bald naturally

Hi,
U seem to be of asian origin like me.
Just registered today to post , but don’t know how to upload pics.will try tomorrow.
If yr. fall stops and u intend to go for a HT, my advice :go for at least 4000 fuht (single session) IF u have strong donor hairs(back n sides)
Regards

» Hi,
» U seem to be of asian origin like me.
» Just registered today to post , but don’t know how to upload pics.will try
» tomorrow.

When you hit REPLY or when you start a new post, you will see an UPLOAD button to the right of your screen.

See arrow the picture below:

» Hi,
» U seem to be of asian origin like me.
» Just registered today to post , but don’t know how to upload pics.will try
» tomorrow.
» If yr. fall stops and u intend to go for a HT, my advice :go for at least
» 4000 fuht (single session) IF u have strong donor hairs(back n sides)
» Regards

I live in Asia but I am American white

Original poster:
I wanna clarify something here. I’m sorry if you already know this. But it sounded a little like you don’t, so bear with me.

In your original question you said something like, “and I can always shave down later.”

Umm . . . No. If you get any strip-type HT surgery, you’re never gonna look normal shaving your head down again for the rest of your entire life.

The strip scar is permanently visible on a shaved head, and in most cases it’s even visible if you ever shave any lower than a #4-3 guard clipper.

Strip scars can heal up to look like a clean pencil line in the best cases, but the scar will always be there. It cannot ever be truly erased by any method currently known to science.

Once you get a strip HT, you’re committed to solving your baldness problems with HTs for the rest of your life. You’re gonna be pulling off the hairy look or else you’re gonna be clearly showing that scar to everyone in the room.

If this sounds like a real risk that could ruin your appearance if you lose a lot more hair, well, you’re exactly right. A lot of dissatisfied men with HT scars would give anything to just be able to buzz their head down now.

» you will be stuck with a rapidly thinning balding scalp, with previous
» tranplants surrounded by an island of bald, will look freakish

I can understand the concern some have of an ‘island’ appearance resulting from HT, but a continuing loss of original hair. Nevertheless, in my mind, I don’t imagine that my remaining hair will shed completely in the next 4-5 years. If I were to keep it as it is then that is 4-5 years of being fairly self-conscious of my appearance. However, an HT plus the use of some cover-up products (toppik and kerasome) will help me maintain the illusion of decent hair. I am presuming then that after 4-5 years I will be able to access HM or more sophisticated HT techniques.

Also, as far as the strip scar is concerned. I don’t believe a pencil thin scar on the back of my head will be of much concern to me given that I have a nice long scar on my forehead, which doesn’t bother me.

Thanks to everyone that’s posted their advice to me.

I can understand the concern some have of an ‘island’ appearance resulting from HT, but a continuing loss of original hair. Nevertheless, in my mind, I don’t imagine that my remaining hair will shed completely in the next 4-5 years. If I were to keep it as it is then that is 4-5 years of being fairly self-conscious of my appearance. However, an HT plus the use of some cover-up products (toppik and kerasome) will help me maintain the illusion of decent hair. I am presuming then that after 4-5 years I will be able to access HM or more sophisticated HT techniques.

Also, as far as the strip scar is concerned. I don’t believe a pencil thin scar on the back of my head will be of much concern to me given that I have a nice long scar on my forehead, which doesn’t bother me.

Thanks to everyone that’s posted their advice to me.

» I can understand the concern some have of an ‘island’ appearance resulting
» from HT, but a continuing loss of original hair. Nevertheless, in my mind,
» I don’t imagine that my remaining hair will shed completely in the next 4-5
» years. If I were to keep it as it is then that is 4-5 years of being fairly
» self-conscious of my appearance. However, an HT plus the use of some
» cover-up products (toppik and kerasome) will help me maintain the illusion
» of decent hair. I am presuming then that after 4-5 years I will be able to
» access HM or more sophisticated HT techniques.
»
» Also, as far as the strip scar is concerned. I don’t believe a pencil thin
» scar on the back of my head will be of much concern to me given that I have
» a nice long scar on my forehead, which doesn’t bother me.
»
» Thanks to everyone that’s posted their advice to me.