Younger guys..just buzz or shave- my story

I just wanted to say that hair loss is no longer a concern of mine and wanted to share my experiences. When I was 20 years old, I started losing my hair and I freaked out as it got worse. At the age of 22, I was fed up with it and decided to have a transplant of 1000 grafts. I regretted that decision for years because I did not realize that I would need future surgeries to keep up with the future hair loss, did not realize I would have to take propecia for decades, and did not realize that the scar would prevent me from shaving my head in the future. The doctor may have even mentioned these things but all I cared about was the present time with no regard for the future.

I soon realized that I should have just shaven or buzzed my hair at that time and if I were thinking rationally I would have realized this. First, there are many women who are more attracted to confidence and personality and don’t care about hairloss. While at a club or bar, women are more superficial and can judge on looks, in other settings women also like personality and confidence. Second, in my opinion short hair or a shaved head looks a lot smoother and more attractive than a combover. In fact, it has become very trendy to buzz or shave your head and many celebrities wear their hair this way, Steve Austin, Jason Statham, Matt Lauer, the Rock, Vin Diesel. Many people lose their hair so you might as well look good while it takes place. Third, it drove me crazy everyday to comb my hair in the morning and get my hair to look the right
way. If it were windy out, my hair would get totally out of place and my balding would look even worse.

My only problem was I now had this scar in the back of my head. Well, I worried for years about this because my hair kept on receding and that bald spot was getting bigger and I didn’t know if the scar could even be hidden. Dr. Robert True of New York City helped me camouflage my scar and I am very grateful to him for all his help. Someone on this board recommended him to me and I flew up to NYC to see him. Since my scar wasn’t that wide, he ended up fue’ing the scar with around 142 grafts. He didn’t give me any false hope that the scar would be totally gone but said it might be possible that I could buzz my hair with a 2 blade after I asked him specifically about using a 2 blade. Well, I now buzz my whole head with a 2 blade all the time now with the scar barely visible at all.

It seriously was the best decision I’ve made to fix the scar and wish I just originally buzzed my head from the beginning. It takes me minutes to get ready in the morning cause I no longer have to comb my hair. I don’t have to worry about the wind blowing my hair out of place. It just looks better than trying to comb my hair the right way and hide my hair loss. I no longer stare at my hair in the mirror and get stressed out. I’m still getting dates and having success in that category. Although I worry about other aspects of my life, I’m not worrying about my hair loss. I’ve learned from this experience to not jump to drastic decisions because they aren’t always the correct ones. I’ve also learned to not worry so much and just focus on solutions. I worried for years about fixing the scar but this was totally unnecessary since it all worked out in the end. I would recommend to anyone considering a transplant to consider just buzzing your hair. I would also recommend that anyone who has a scar who wants to buzz their hair to consider fue’ing the scar or having the entire scar revised to a smaller width, which is also an option for some people.

If anyone is interested in seeing my pictures(updated through 7 months) since the scar repair, check them out here:

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum_entry.php?id=3872

Hairwarrior

Can you post a picture of your hair buzzed(the area where the transplants are)

I also had 2 transplants and losing hair behind the transplanted hair. Im concidering cutting real short, but have a strip scar, and also alot of pitting…

» Can you post a picture of your hair buzzed(the area where the transplants
» are)
»
» I also had 2 transplants and losing hair behind the transplanted hair. Im
» concidering cutting real short, but have a strip scar, and also alot of
» pitting…

Hi,
Sure I can do that. I’ll need to work on that this weekend. I was always a little nervous about buzzing the frontal area that has the most hair loss. At first there was a very noticeable difference between the area that recedes in the front and the hair behind it. One reason was that the color of the frontal part of my scalp was a lot whiter than my face so it stood out. I’ve gotten a lot more sun to help it blend in more. Another thing I do is bring up my hairline by using a razor so that there’s less area of thinning hair. I actually make my hair take the shape of a U like Jason Statham in this picture: http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Events/1697/JasonStath_Ausse_673501_400.jpg

This area I shave is actually just the transplanted hair that normally would have been lost by now. I have a higher hair line but to me it looks better than having a lower hairline with more thinning.

Hairwarrior

» Can you post a picture of your hair buzzed(the area where the transplants
» are)
»
» I also had 2 transplants and losing hair behind the transplanted hair. Im
» concidering cutting real short, but have a strip scar, and also alot of
» pitting…

Here’s some pics of the frontal area of my head, where 5 years ago I had grafts places in the frontal area. Not all of the grafts grew I believe, which in my case is good for me since eventually I would have had them lasered out anyway. The pictures don’t make my hair look that good mainly cause they’re from a top view but the majority of people see you straight on.

» » Can you post a picture of your hair buzzed(the area where the
» transplants
» » are)
» »
» » I also had 2 transplants and losing hair behind the transplanted hair.
» Im
» » concidering cutting real short, but have a strip scar, and also alot of
» » pitting…
»
» Here’s some pics of the frontal area of my head, where 5 years ago I had
» grafts places in the frontal area. Not all of the grafts grew I believe,
» which in my case is good for me since eventually I would have had them
» lasered out anyway. The pictures don’t make my hair look that good mainly
» cause they’re from a top view but the majority of people see you straight
» on.

How many grafts were both transplants?

» » » Can you post a picture of your hair buzzed(the area where the
» » transplants
» » » are)
» » »
» » » I also had 2 transplants and losing hair behind the transplanted
» hair.
» » Im
» » » concidering cutting real short, but have a strip scar, and also alot
» of
» » » pitting…
» »
» » Here’s some pics of the frontal area of my head, where 5 years ago I
» had
» » grafts places in the frontal area. Not all of the grafts grew I
» believe,
» » which in my case is good for me since eventually I would have had them
» » lasered out anyway. The pictures don’t make my hair look that good
» mainly
» » cause they’re from a top view but the majority of people see you
» straight
» » on.
»
»
» How many grafts were both transplants?

Do you have any pics of your hair buzzed right down to a 2 at this point?