Young1 - 6987 grafts (FUHT + beard +chest) result 17 mths & 3yr later

Pictures taken in early 2008, with the hair wet

One has to remember that hairloss can progress and the sheer number of follicular units lost must be replaced to a 50% to 60% level atleast.

The full non balding head has approximately 40,000 to 45,000 Follicular unit grafts. Losing 50% of that means one reaches a Norwood 5 stage. The 20,000 grafts would require atleast 10,000 grafts transplant. Unless, one wants to look good only in select pictures taken at particular angles with the flash mode on :slight_smile: .

If this is kept in mind, the young patient can opt for a hair transplant even in his 20’s. If the same is not kept in mind, you are not a suitable candidate even if you are 60.

Regards,
Dr. A

»
» One has to remember that hairloss can progress and the sheer number of
» follicular units lost must be replaced to a 50% to 60% level atleast.
»
» The full non balding head has approximately 40,000 to 45,000 Follicular
» unit grafts. Losing 50% of that means one reaches a Norwood 5 stage. The
» 20,000 grafts would require atleast 10,000 grafts transplant.

So one would need to remove 50% of the remaining follicles for a norward V. I am sure you would agree that 30% is a more realistic doable burden for the donor. Furthermore the quality of the donor would almost certainly decrease by this stage. In my view that would meen that 30% gives the same effect as 20% of quality grafts. 20% of 20,000 is 4000 (quality graft equivelants ie it maybe 6000 poorer quality ones and twos).

if 10000 grafts are needed then there is a deficit of 6000 grafts. In my view this would be equal to 5000 beard hairs + 7000 body hairs (or more since I estimate an impact by body hair of 25% compared with quality scalp hair) in addition to the available scalp hair.

Maybe i am being pessimistic but it sure is hard making the nimbers add up for a norward V and beyond.
Best wishes,
Marco.

I have a similar family history at 21 starting thinning so fast it would make your head spin
my hair on top just shut down, short thin stunted growth etc etc
my dad was bald by 24

i stopped it and slowed it down immensely with good hair vitamins but back then they did not have the good vitamins they have now

I am surprised Dr A that you only recommend minox or meds but I guess docs d not like natural solutions

by the time of my mid 30s i was losing hair very quickly again, and out of desperation i tried Saw Palmetto, this stopped the 300 hairs per day fallout within a week, and I added pygeum nettles and beta sitosterol, and kept my high potency hair vitamin. Since then 10 yrs ago my hair loss is stable, no change and a lot of the thin hair on the sides and back is MUCH thicker almost to my high school thickness,

Thats my only recommendation is to also explore naturals, or try some of the patients on nizoral cream or shampoo
»
» Regards,
» Dr. A

»
» So one would need to remove 50% of the remaining follicles for a norward
» V. I am sure you would agree that 30% is a more realistic doable burden for
» the donor. Furthermore the quality of the donor would almost certainly
» decrease by this stage. In my view that would meen that 30% gives the same
» effect as 20% of quality grafts. 20% of 20,000 is 4000 (quality graft
» equivelants ie it maybe 6000 poorer quality ones and twos).
»
» if 10000 grafts are needed then there is a deficit of 6000 grafts. In my
» view this would be equal to 5000 beard hairs + 7000 body hairs (or more
» since I estimate an impact by body hair of 25% compared with quality scalp
» hair) in addition to the available scalp hair.
»
» Maybe i am being pessimistic but it sure is hard making the nimbers add up
» for a norward V and beyond.
» Best wishes,
» Marco.

Dear marco,
When planning for an all weather, all hair style proof hair transplant, one does need those high number of grafts.
And yes, it makes sense to use the more robust grafts in preference to less robust ones.

Regards,
Dr. A

In Jan 2008, Young1 underwent a 5487 graft procedure.
Graft details :
5487 grafts : 4265 FUHT + 114 scalp FUSE grafts + 411 beard + 697 chest grafts

Young1 is happy with the progress of his hair transplant.
He has the hairline he wished to go for. The front, top vertex and the crown swirl areas have been transplanted into.

However, he does continue to lose further hair at a gradual pace and may need more HTs in future.

Hair transplant for the young and those early in their hairloss process needs a good degree of awareness in the patient. The HT doctor/clinic too should not gloss over possibility of future hairloss. It is essential to point out the worst case scenario to the patient before his 1st hair transplant. That way the patient is aware of the commitment involved and can make a truly informed decision.

Young1 in June 2009

The beard hair transplanted in Young1’s crown area retained their original characteristic calibre. The healing of the beard donor area is excellent.

This picture shows comparison between the transplanted, coarse beard hair and the transplanted scalp donor hair

Regards,
Dr. A

» » Dr. Arvind someone brought up a good point, this guy’s thinning is on
» » and behind the frontal hairline, it s best to use body hair as filler
» » mixing with regular scalp donor, this will create a nice improvement
» and
» » thickness for him without wasting precious scalp hair, don’t you think?
»
» Dear therapy,
» Yes, it is possible to use beard and robust body hair mixed with regular
» scalp hair. This helps conserve scalp donor hair.
» We had done so in many patients (finallyfree, Argentine, Zayden, TH
» etc.).
» However, not every patient wants to follow that option.
» Regards,
» Dr. A

Why would a patient not elect to use both scalp and robust body hair like facial hair? Wouldn’t that just make more donor available?

why does the guy not cut his darn hair prior to going in for a procedure.

how is the doctor supposed to see what areas are balding and in need of transplants if he keeps his hair so long.

» why does the guy not cut his darn hair prior to going in for a procedure.
»
» how is the doctor supposed to see what areas are balding and in need of
» transplants if he keeps his hair so long.
Dear reader,
Sorry I am unable to understand your question. The patient’s new hairline was created on a previously bald area.
Regards,
Dr. A