Yeap, another option - Hair Loss Treatment Way 316606

1 Like

I am excited about this one, more so than other so called research and trials from Histogen, Replicel.

One thing though, it doesn’t say whether patients take the Osteoporosis drug as a pill or apply topically.

What do they mean by hair follicles donated by patients?

“It shows that a drug originally designed as a treatment for osteoporosis has a dramatic stimulatory effect on human hair follicles donated by patients undergoing hair transplantation surgery.”

“ The team carried out a full gene expression analysis of isolated human scalp hair follicles treated with CsA. This revealed that CsA reduces the expression of SFRP1, a protein that inhibits the development and growth of many tissues, including hair follicles”.
“we were able to conduct our experiments with scalp hair follicles that had generously been donated by over 40 patients…”.
So they used peoples’ healthy hair follicles. Applied Cyclosporine and that other compound and found they both reduced expression of SFRP1 protein which supposedly inhibits hair growth.
I wonder in what way this protein hinders hair growth? Depletes pool of DP or DCS cells? Interferes with progenitor cells? Damages hair stem cells?
They really need clinical trials not with healthy hair follicles but with damaged hair follicles to see if this new drug has any application prospect. To me, at the moment, they only found agents that influence SFRP1 production.

WEIRD ! so they never witnessed hair regrowth on the patient’s head !

There are several reasons why I’m not overly enthusiastic about this. I’m referring to the article on BBC News:

1. The headline: “Potential new cure for baldness”.
    – They don’t seem to be overly confident…

2. “new treatments are exciting as they give people more treatment options that may be effective.”
    – Not quite sure how this makes the news if they don’t even know if it’s going to work or not…

3. “a clinical trial would be needed to see if the treatment was effective and safe in people”
    – Again: touting this as a hairloss cure seems premature.

4. In “The Independent”, the researcher is quoted as saying, “It could one day make a real difference to people who suffer from hair loss.”
    – “One day”? Doesn’t sound like it’s right around the corner, even if it does work.

5. Also from “The Independent”: “The follicles quickly went into the active “anagen” phase of hair growth, and began sprouting hair.”
    – I may be wrong about this, but isn’t that the mechanism of Minoxidil? Shouldn’t we be looking for something that reverses the miniturization of the hair follicles instead? (Putting the follicles into their growth phase is all well and good, but what use is it if the hair that is produced is so small that you can’t actually see it?)

I wonder why this was all over the news today - I’m not saying it won’t work, but it just doesn’t seem to be particularly far advanced. (But then again, the researchers may know more than they’re letting on.)

Does anyone know if that osteoporosis drug is FDA approved (and could be prescribed off-label)? That would change things considerably.

If this drug has already been approved by the FDA for osteoporosis, doctors in the US should be able to prescribe it off-label for hair loss, even if it hasn’t gone through clinical trials for that purpose.

I found online good old Tocris selling Way-616606 powder. Seems to me expensive.
Does anyone know topical form of this compound online without prescription?

It didn’t take them very long, did it?

They sell this compound. A bit expensive to me to try if it works.
It’s soluble in alcohol. So in order to achieve 60ml of 5% solution you need 3 grams.
I think minoxidil would be a good carrier.
Hairsite, are you not interested to try it? If it works, you could be selling it via your website within weeks.

Sorry I haven’t been following this, will take a look. Not prepared to sell any products on HairSite at this point. Thanks for asking.

Good news but buying from Alibaba means importing from China? I think we will get into trouble importing medications overseas, no ?

I think, you would be asked to pay customs at worst.

Importing drugs for personal use is generally illegal , there are exceptions though which make it ok to import but I don’t think that apply to us

https://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/Transparency/Basics/ucm194904.htm

In most circumstances, it is illegal for individuals to import drugs into the United States for personal use. This is because drugs from other countries that are available for purchase by individuals often have not been approved by FDA for use and sale in the United States. For example, if a drug is approved by Health Canada (FDA’s counterpart in Canada) but has not been approved by FDA, it is an unapproved drug in the United States and, therefore, illegal to import. FDA cannot ensure the safety and effectiveness of drugs that it has not approved.

FDA, however, has a policy explaining that it typically does not object to personal imports of drugs that FDA has not approved under certain circumstances, including the following situation:

• The drug is for use for a serious condition for which effective treatment is not available in the United States;

• There is no commercialization or promotion of the drug to U.S. residents;

• The drug is considered not to represent an unreasonable risk;

• The individual importing the drug verifies in writing that it is for his or her own use, and provides contact information for the doctor providing treatment or shows the product is for the continuation of treatment begun in a foreign country; and

• Generally, not more than a 3-month supply of the drug is imported.

Looks like sometimes it’s better to live in china than in north America.

Hairsite adm.,
if you’re selling spironolactone on your website, what prevents you from selling way 316606 mixed up with appropriate carrier like minoxidil??
All you have to do, it’s find some ambitious local immigrant chinese, bangladeshe,nigerian or mexican post -graduate with degree in chemistry scratching the living in local pet shop laboratory and offer once in a life time – get rich quick scheme, opportunity.
Preferably in more run-down areas of US like Detroit, New Orleans or Golden state warriors (sorry Oakland) , who has license to legally buy this substance.
Way 316606 is approved by fda and it’s got safety records. You don’t have to label it as hair loss cure. You can put disclaimer at the end like with spironolactone. It’s all in line with the US law.
Let’s make America great again. America is a land of opportunity, a land where dreams come true.

You and Roger might have a point though. If Way 316606 is already FDA approved, doctors in the US may be able to prescribe it off label for hair loss. I will contact the chemist who compounds topical spiro and topical latanoprost and see if they are willing to formulate Way 316606 for hair loss. Will report back.

BTW, let me clarify this again; we do not sell spiro.

1 Like

Hairsite, I will be the first customer if you can make this happen.

1 Like

Hairsite, thank you. If you can arrange this, I will definitely buy it.

1 Like

I know Dr Cole has started prescribing a topical finasteride + minoxidil + I-can’t-remember-what mixture. Maybe he would be interested in looking into this, as well. The cost of the current mixture is fairly steep, though, so the cost of adding 316606 would likely put it outside most people’s price range.

1 Like