Woman regenerates pinky

Not sure if the above link will show up, but do a search for Deepa Kulkarni on google news if not.

Hair is more difficult to regenerate I know, but still… interesting.

Nope, this story has already been discounted, she only lost the fleshy tip, no serious loss, tips of fingers very often regrow and heal normally.

What she got was bog standard good healing.

Another shïtty fingertip regrowth hyping story by the Acell factory.
I am tired of them. And I am not the only one.
PLEASE, look at the comments by the readers, below the article.
I will post a few.

» Woman's persistence pays off in regenerated fingertip - CNN.com
»
» Not sure if the above link will show up, but do a search for Deepa
» Kulkarni on google news if not.
»
» Hair is more difficult to regenerate I know, but still… interesting.

by ‘swejaso’ (16 minutes ago)

As a health care provider I find this article disturbing. Yes, doctors are human and don’t always know everything. Yes, they can and do make mistakes, however, both the ER doctor and the orthopedic surgeon were spot on in this case. As per the article, the fingertip was not “re-attached”, instead… more
As a health care provider I find this article disturbing. Yes, doctors are human and don’t always know everything. Yes, they can and do make mistakes, however, both the ER doctor and the orthopedic surgeon were spot on in this case. As per the article, the fingertip was not “re-attached”, instead it “regrew” on it’s own from the remaining viable tissue. The nailbed does not appear to have been damaged from and the shortened finger results from the normal tissue healing over the end of the severed finger. Since the nailbed doesn’t appear to have been damaged, a normal (or as normal as can be expected) will continue to grow toward the end of the finger. It wasn’t some “magical” new experimental medicine that caused this, just a case of being lucky with the injury in the fact that she didn’t damage the nail matrix. It is very likely the finger would have healed with a similar result had the treatment been what the ER doctor recommended and bandaged the finger.

One of the newest trends is medicine is of the self or internet educated patient. This can be a very refreshing thing in the fact that it allows a physician to have a more educated discussion with a patient about their own care. If a patient better understands a condition they are usually more proactive (complient) in their treatment, which often results in better outcomes. In cases of tough decisions it give the patient more information with which to make their decision. This can also be a double edged sword, however as there are many sites (and articles) out their that give patients “false hope” with poor information. This can be for a variety of reasons, but as most of us are aware, you can’t always believe what you read.

Another thing to be considered is the cost of treatment versus outcome. At what cost did this fingertip get “regenerated”. Assuming this wasn’t all covered as a case of experimental research, multiple doctors visits, debridements, and medications tend to add up quickly. If this was something the patient covered on her own as an expense, so be it, however, knowing the high cost of treatments such as these it is more than likely it would have been backed by insurance. Insurance companies never “suck it up and pay” for the cost of procedures like these as ultimately the bottom line is that insurance rates are hiked and the insured population is the one that is ultimately paying. As I stated above, from the information provided in the story, it appears her finger would have healed with a similar if not the same outcome if she had followed the opinions of the ER and orthopedic doctors. Even with worse case scenario she still would have had a fully functional hand with minimally shortened little finger that may not have had a fingernail. So, all things being considered, how many thousands of additional dollars did it cost to reach a similar outcome?

Long story short, don’t be afraid to ask for a second or even third opinion. You might not always get the answer you want, but at least you’ll be better informed. Also, don’t be so tuned in to finding the answer that you want that you totally go against the advice of others. I’d be more concerned about being treated by someone who tells you they can heal anything that someone who is straightforward and gives you the truth. There are plenty of people out there that will tell you what you want to hear, even if it’s not always medically sound. less

16 minutes ago | Like | Report abuse

Jae1981

Wow She waisted so much time and money and was tricked into a “special Procedure” I cut more of my thumb off using a deli slicer and it grew back by itself. All the doctor did was wrap my thumb up and gave me some pain killers and sent me home. I will admit I was scared it was gone forever but it grew back perfactly fine with a slight round barely visible scar at the tip less
5 hours ago | Like (3) | Report abuse

greenplanner

I lost a finger tip at age 21 and I was never told that it was possible that the tissue could regrow by keeping the wound open, as some of the comments here suggest. That makes me mad, because I would have liked to have known all of my options and made a decision based on that, rather than just having it sewn up.
The suggestions made in this article to question your doctors and to be fully informed are good. However, it is very misleading for the article to credit this medication for the regrowth without doing a thorough study. They are giving free (I assume) advertising to the makers of the drug, and I wonder whether this has actually been proven to be the cause of the tissue regrowth. Overall, this is irresponsible journalism. less
6 hours ago | Like (2) | Report abuse

sinsan

severed finger…I had a grandma who would be 92 years old now. She passed away many years ago. But she told me as a young child she was helping her mother cut vegetables from the garden and sliced the tip of her finger off. Her mother, my great grandmother, taped it back on with bandages and it reattached itself. I don’t know how long it took etc, however, I do know that there was a scar all around her finger from the injury. Her finger was fully functional. She passed away at the age of 75 and never had a problem with it. Don’t always take your doctors advice for total truth. Doctors are still people who make mistakes and cannot possibly know it all. less
6 hours ago | Like (4) | Report abuse

TimfromWA
Did CNN or this lady or her husband get paid by Matristem to get this published? Were her treatment costs reduced by getting this published. Seems more like an ad than journalism. National advertising with controversial journalism priceless.
7 hours ago | Like (4) | Report abuse

ARTvsLAW

I cut the side tip of my index finger off when I was a freshman in college. I remember it vividly. I was watching ER and I was cutting a mat for an art class…and Slice! I freaked out, roomates rushed me to the ER (Irony, gotta love it). They cleaned the wound, wrapped my finger in gauze…a month or so later, voila My finger was back! 11 years later, the new skin is slightly scarrish, but not very noticable unless I point out to others. In fact after this article, I ran around the office to show off my finger…lol. It really does grow back, i’m proof of it as well:) less
8 hours ago | Like (2) | Report abuse

Bdugemuch
I knew a guy who divorced his nagging, overbearing wife…and his b***s grew back.
8 hours ago | Like (41) | Report abuse

healings

After clean amputations(without crushed area), Tip of the fingers above the phalanx and not involving the joint, if just left clean without re closure will grow back. This rate of regrowth is age, environmental and gene related. In children less than 5 almost 100% will regrow. As we get older chance of regrowth will decrease. Today this is a forgotten fact. Everybody is in hurry, wounds need to be “closed fast” due to fear of exposure of whole body to microbial agents. Remember for regrowth, area must not be closed, a clean scab (Growth plate) must be present which must get perfused with blood well daily.(Debridement helps it). It must not get infected and be oxygenated well.
Specially Area will grow back if an external low current DC pulse (EMS) is put in place based on Dr. Becker’s specifications. So this has nothing to do with MatriStem. I feel there were a lot she didn’t do (besides defaming the poor doctors) and somebody makes some money by this article, some where as well. It is possible Matristem actually prevented a complete regrowth because this is not a complete regrowth and MatriStem prevented the work of growth plate substantially. Further tests need to be done on this Quaker’s liquid before ending up to CNN. less
8 hours ago | Like (13) | Report abuse

Hoolawyer

This is terrible “journalism.”. In 1988, I took off the tip of my Index finger in an industrial belt sander. My doctor told me that so long as you don’t damage the bone or cuticle (which I didn’t), and kept it clean and moist (I.e. No hard scab), it’d grow back. He was right. You can barely tell now that it had been hurt. This article does nothing but plug a drama queen and a new presumably expensive therapy product that may or may not be necessary. less
8 hours ago | Like (15) | Report abuse

BensMom2009

I agree, this article is bogus pseudoscience, and we wonder why healthcare is crushingly expensive in this country? This was a very minor injury that would have healed on its own exactly as it did with this supposed wonder drug, and this woman acted like it was some kind of huge trauma requiring expert consultation. She’s not just pushy, she’s a complete nightmare. Thanks for making your insurance company pay for an unproven treatment that was probably unnecessary, so the costs can be passed on to the rest of us next year with a premium hike. less
9 hours ago | Like (14) | Report abuse

katsrule

Sorry, the original doctors were right. Great example of journalism. The finger did NOT “grow back”, it simply healed. It is still shorter than the original. The base of the finger nail was not cut off and no bone was fractured. She did not grow bone out of nothing. “Debridement” is not a new medical procedure, it is just a medical term for cleaning up a wound of dirt and dead tissue that has been used in the medical field for years.

And why she went through all this trouble for a pinky anyway? Is not like it is a life-threatening situation less
9 hours ago | Like (12) | Report abuse

Phil1956

This headline is totally bogus. The woman had some skin removed from the tip of her finger and it healed with scar tissue and skin regrowing into the area just as any other wound would. The nail matrix (the area from which the nail grows) was not involved in the injury, so of course the fingernail kept growing. There is nothing in this report that indicates any true regeneration of tissue- it was a wound that healed normally and the “magic powder” made no difference.

The orthopedic surgeon initially consulted was absolutely right in refusing to reattach the finger tip. He most likely suggested a further amputaion because the finger tip as it is now is likely to be sensitive and painful with no cushioning between the bone and the scar tissue/skin. Ask the lady in 5 years whether she is still glad she has the finger tip.

Does anyone think it is wierd that she still keeps the fingertip in her freezer? less
9 hours ago | Like (15) | Report abuse

boatvolt
A friend of mine lost about a third of his index finger in a fan belt accident. We used to “high four-and-a-half”. He had a small LED hooked up to a battery to do an “ET” impression, and a fish hook mounted on a sewing thimble to do a “Captain Hook”. Arrgh…Kids loved it
9 hours ago | Like (8) | Report abuse

capexcitemnt
i lost part of my pen is in freak vacuum cleaner accident. next time i will try regeration.
9 hours ago | Like (5) | Report abuse

tearley

I had the same thing happen to me. I was a paramedic and my right middle finger got slammed in our metal ambulance garage door. (seriously no joke) I went to the hospital and the doc said it wasn’t worth putting back on. It did grow back but not as a perfect tip of that finger. I have my nail but you can tell where the skin grew back. Is this really worthy of national news…I don’t think so. less
9 hours ago | Like (6) | Report abuse

pogostick

I’m not a physician and I do not know anything about body part regeneration but looking at the before and after pictures it seems that her finger healed itself. New skin grew over the severed tip, her fingernail grew and it had nothing to do with Matristem. Her finger is somewhat smaller. If she severed her pinky midway, the same thing would have happened. The skin would automatically regenerate and she’d have a half size pinky. less
10 hours ago | Like (16) | Report abuse

ScottyMD
this outcome is NO DIFFERENT than what would have occurred naturally…
10 hours ago | Like (15) | Report abuse

Thor25
CNN trying to out pseudoscience the huffington post? Shameful stuff guys, hope you get a nice cut off those book sales.
12 hours ago | Like (2) | Report abuse

todayscommen
Is there a creme version of that powder where idiots can rub to their scalp to have their brains grow back?
12 hours ago | Like (22) | Report abuse

OldenAtwoody
Will this work for a penis? I was circumcised against my wishes, as a child.
12 hours ago | Like (13) | Report abuse

Hoeech
Slow news day, huh? She had a boo-boo on her pinky and it got better. Hold the front page.
13 hours ago | Like (13) | Report abuse

andrewj

This story is exaggerated. It’s clear from the photographs that the part of the finger tip that was severed did not even include any of the distal phalanx, the bone at the tip of the finger. The soft tissue at the tip of the finger would actually have naturally grown over the tip of the bone on its own as long as tissue infection was prevented and excessive scar tissue didn’t form over the wound, so I’m wondering why this is even on CNN. less
13 hours ago | Like (32) | Report abuse

Cavs1992
Your observation is correct. It is on CNN because the CNN medical correspondent is promoting a book.
13 hours ago | Like (11) | Report abuse

All the internet is laughing at Acell.
Still, some charlatans keep making headlines out of the magic powder.

Lets remember how Lee Spievack LIED about his severed fingertip to PROMOTE Acell.
Dr. Badylak also LIED about this case.
I made a photographic analysis on this case:

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum_entry-id-62915.html

Also, lets remember that Dr. Jones made an experiment using Acell to regrow hair on an open wound. He followed instructions from an Acell representative. The experiment failed. Acell didn’t provide an alternative protocol to Dr. Jones. So, Dr. Jones abandoned the project.
Later, Acell blamed Dr. Jones for not using the correct procedure!!!

Stay away of Acell, they are a bunch of liars!!

» Lets remember how Lee Spievack LIED about his severed fingertip to PROMOTE
» Acell.
» Dr. Badylak also LIED about this case.
» I made a photographic analysis on this case:
»
» http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum_entry-id-62915.html
»
»
»
» Also, lets remember that Dr. Jones made an experiment using Acell to
» regrow hair on an open wound. He followed instructions from an Acell
» representative. The experiment failed. Acell didn’t provide an alternative
» protocol to Dr. Jones. So, Dr. Jones abandoned the project.
» Later, Acell blamed Dr. Jones for not using the correct procedure!!!
»
» Stay away of Acell, they are a bunch of liars!!

But it works for CIT (Dr. Cole- Hair Transplant Surgeon) and he even charges his guniea pigs (naive ignorant patients) for it :lookaround:

» All the internet is laughing at Acell.
» Still, some charlatans keep making headlines out of the magic powder.

SD are you saying the the cnn article on the woman is a lie?

Please clarify.

» » All the internet is laughing at Acell.
» » Still, some charlatans keep making headlines out of the magic powder.
»
» SD are you saying the the cnn article on the woman is a lie?
»
» Please clarify.

Iam not laughing at Acell cause there is a huge potential in it.

SD is telling a lot when it comes to such things, but then he switches the gears.

I say we wait for October when there will be new infos about Acell

Acell is starting to get some results.

http://www.nyhairloss.com/slide29.htm

» Acell is starting to get some results.

Yes, they are starting to get results.

The first result is this:
Forum member “mell” goes to the crappy Hitzig’s website.
“mell” sees a few crappy photos that prove nothing, and reads the attractive titles.
Now “mell” believes that Acell works!!.
“mell” believes that Acell can multiply hair!!

Wow! I would say this is an amazing result!!

Look, I have found a patient who regrew a full head of hair using Acell:
The first photo is before treatment, the second photo is “after 6 months”.
The patient just sniffed the Acell powder up his nose twice a day for a whole week.

» Acell is starting to get some results.
»
» http://www.nyhairloss.com/slide29.htm

» » Acell is starting to get some results.
»
» Yes, they are starting to get results.
»
» The first result is this:
» Forum member “mell” goes to the crappy Hitzig’s website.
» “mell” sees a few crappy photos that prove nothing, and reads the
» attractive titles.
» Now “mell” believes that Acell works!!.
» “mell” believes that Acell can multiply hair!!
»
» Wow! I would say this is an amazing result!!
»
» Look, I have found a patient who regrew a full head of hair using Acell:
» The first photo is before treatment, the second photo is “after 6
» months”.
» The patient just sniffed the Acell powder up his nose twice a day for a
» whole week.
»
»
»
»
»
» » Acell is starting to get some results.
» »
» » http://www.nyhairloss.com/slide29.htm

SD you wanna discuss on a normal level or play your stupid games here. If second, then i have to ask you for leaving right now, cause you destroyed this thread once again.

All the internet is laughing? Well i can count at least three persons who are not laughing, who i mean who guarantees you that those “Persons” are real and no sock puppet accounts? Eyes Roll

Once again you prooved your lack of intelligence where is my retard picture right now

Spanish Dude after his mother told him “You are right my dear little baldie freak”

» » All the internet is laughing at Acell.
» » Still, some charlatans keep making headlines out of the magic powder.
»
» SD are you saying the the cnn article on the woman is a lie?
»
» Please clarify.

most probably the journalist have no clue about the subject, and she was tricked into the hype.

The same happened with the Lee Spievack finger story.
Ant the beginning, the media all around the world started reporting the “miracle” without even pondering the substance of it. All of these articles were just permutations of a single base article.
Later, rectifying articles appeared.
For example, the mirror.co.uk published an “optimist” article, and a few hours later, they deleted it and replaced it with a sceptical version of it.

This subject is treated here:
http://www.badscience.net/2008/05/finger-bullshït/
http://www.badscience.net/2008/05/pixie-dust-my-arse/

in the first link, replace “shït” with the correct word.

REALLY ? You are using BLOGS from people who we actually dont know anything about OMG

» » » All the internet is laughing at Acell.
» » » Still, some charlatans keep making headlines out of the magic powder.
» »
» » SD are you saying the the cnn article on the woman is a lie?
» »
» » Please clarify.
»
» most probably the journalist have no clue about the subject, and she was
» tricked into the hype.
»
» The same happened with the Lee Spievack finger story.
» Ant the beginning, the media all around the world started reporting the
» “miracle” without even pondering the substance of it. All of these articles
» were just permutations of a single base article.
» Later, rectifying articles appeared.
» For example, the mirror.co.uk published an “optimist” article, and a few
» hours later, they deleted it and replaced it with a sceptical version of
» it.
»
» This subject is treated here:
» http://www.badscience.net/2008/05/finger-bullshït/
» http://www.badscience.net/2008/05/pixie-dust-my-arse/
»
» in the first link, replace “shït” with the correct word.

» REALLY ? You are using BLOGS from people who we actually dont know anything
» about OMG

excerpt:

Regrown finger is ‘junk science’

* David Batty
* guardian.co.uk, Thursday 1 May 2008 09.45 BST
* Article history

A leading plastic surgeon today dismissed claims that a powder made from a pig’s bladder caused the regrowth of a man’s fingertip.
Professor Simon Kay, professor of hand surgery at the University of Leeds, said the claims by the US company that developed the powder were “junk science”.
Kay, consultant plastic and hand surgeon at St James’ University Hospital, Leeds, said Spievack’s injury did not look to have been serious from studying before and after photos.

“It’s a ridiculous story – absurd and over-egged in the extreme,” Kay said. “It looked to have been an ordinary fingertip injury with quite unremarkable healing. All wounds go through a repair process.”
Kay said there was “no evidence” that ACell had manipulated the regenerative capabilities of the human body.

“There’s no clinical evidence to support the claims,” he said. "It really is junk science.
“If you could regenerate body parts like this, your first port of call would be a serious science journal like Nature because it would be a Nobel prize winning revolution.”
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Dr. Badylak is a liar.

excerpts:

The missing finger that never was

Now firstly, if you look at the pictures accompanying this column, you will see
from the “before” image that there is no missing finger, so we might naively intuit
that there is no “missing finger grows back” story to be written. In fact, from the
grainy images and scant descriptions available - despite blanket news media
coverage, including television interviews - it seems this bloke lost about 3/8 of an
inch of skin and flesh from the tip of his finger, and the nail bed is intact

Meanwhile, Dr Badylak now tells me that the entire nail bed was missing.
This contradicts various previous news reports and apparently the pictures.
He also says half the distal bone was missing. Confused? You should be.

I’ve asked him for more pictures. I guess that just goes to show that the
media is a confusing and inappropriate place to communicate new and
unpublished epoch-making scientific breakthroughs (from 2005).
<<<<<<<<<<<

» But it works for CIT (Dr. Cole- Hair Transplant Surgeon) and he even
» charges his guniea pigs (naive ignorant patients) for it :lookaround:

What are Cole’s claims? afaik, he is not claiming HM, but just better healing… (I have not paid too much attention to Cole).

Leeroy, it seems you have a fetish on handicapped children. You have lots of photos of them.
do you masturbate on them?

» Once again you prooved your lack of intelligence where is my retard
» picture right now

»
»
»
»
» Spanish Dude after his mother told him “You are right my dear little
» baldie freak”

» All the internet is laughing at Acell.
» Still, some charlatans keep making headlines out of the magic powder.

1. http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum_entry-id-63960.html

2. http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum_entry-id-62635.html

3. http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum_entry-id-62581.html

Quote Spanish DUD:
Now he is copying other charlatans (Hitzig, Cooley)!!

Really ? They are all “charlatans” - including ACell ?

And “all the internet is laughing at Acell” ? Really ?

And “Gho is now capitalizing on the ACell-Hitzig-Cooley-Hype” ? Really ? Interesting …

Source (min 05:35): http://www.iahrs.org/news/dr-jerry-cooley-acell-matristem-slide-presentation-part-3-4/

Dr. Cooley (min 05:35): „Dr. Gho published a study in a reputable journal, that plucked hair does indeed has hair follicle stem cells and other researchers have confirmed the finding.

The only charlatan in this whole context is a moron called “Spanish DUD”.