Why have a HT when you still look like your balding?

I’ve been looking at a lot of photos, and my question is, why do people get HT even when the end result is a balding look? Great, you went from a NW5-6 to a NW 3-4. But you do realize that people will still think you are bald?

All that money, pain, scars, and potential complications for an unsatisfactory result. I just don’t understand. Is any amount of hair - no matter how insignificant - worth it? I know there are many satisfied patients, but here is one instance where I do agree with Hangin - that satisfaction (and the drive to get the HT) are in the mind and not based in reality.

We really are in the dark ages of hairloss treatment. I hope I can hold on to my hair long enough for a real solution.

» I’ve been looking at a lot of photos, and my question is, why do people get
» HT even when the end result is a balding look? Great, you went from a
» NW5-6 to a NW 3-4. But you do realize that people will still think you
» are bald?
»
» All that money, pain, scars, and potential complications for an
» unsatisfactory result. I just don’t understand. Is any amount of hair -
» no matter how insignificant - worth it? I know there are many satisfied
» patients, but here is one instance where I do agree with Hangin - that
» satisfaction (and the drive to get the HT) are in the mind and not based
» in reality.
»
» We really are in the dark ages of hairloss treatment. I hope I can hold
» on to my hair long enough for a real solution.

Sometimes all you need is to frame the face and it will make a world of difference. You don’t think this one looks good ?

» » I’ve been looking at a lot of photos, and my question is, why do people
» get
» » HT even when the end result is a balding look? Great, you went from a
» » NW5-6 to a NW 3-4. But you do realize that people will still think you
» » are bald?
» »
» » All that money, pain, scars, and potential complications for an
» » unsatisfactory result. I just don’t understand. Is any amount of hair
» -
» » no matter how insignificant - worth it? I know there are many
» satisfied
» » patients, but here is one instance where I do agree with Hangin - that
» » satisfaction (and the drive to get the HT) are in the mind and not
» based
» » in reality.
» »
» » We really are in the dark ages of hairloss treatment. I hope I can
» hold
» » on to my hair long enough for a real solution.
»
» Sometimes all you need is to frame the face and it will make a world of
» difference. You don’t think this one looks good ?
»
»

Wow - that guy has got one wierdly shaped head. And I think the effect of the HT was minimal .

skiploss:
Wow - that guy has got one wierdly shaped head. And I think the effect of the HT was minimal .
I think you answered your original question with that superficial comment.
People are superficial by nature – that’s why many undergo HT.

Some people proceed despite the risks while some do it because they weren’t aware of HT’s donor limitations. Keep in mind there are great deal of people that think they’ll be have a full head of hair/ be fully satisfied after merely one session. So I guess that’s it in a nutshell… that’s what you get when you combine a superficial and/or naive client with an unregulated industry.

I can understand why some people want to have a HT, there are simply no other options out there. I am actually quite fascinated by some of the HT pics (not the body hair stuff though) but it all depends on what Intercytex has to say next week.

» And I think the effect of
» the HT was minimal .

Actually, unless I’m mistaken that Before isn’t before any HT. It is before the most recent work. But, whatever the case, no one is going to look at the man now and think of him as bald. That’s the point. There are examples of what you are saying (guys whose After condition is still very much a balding look), but this guy isn’t one of them, and neither are a lot of other guys.

» are bald?
»
» All that money, pain, scars, and potential complications for an
» unsatisfactory result. I just don’t understand. Is any amount of hair -
» no matter how insignificant - worth it? I know there are many satisfied
» patients, but here is one instance where I do agree with Hangin - that
» satisfaction (and the drive to get the HT) are in the mind and not based
» in reality.
»
» We really are in the dark ages of hairloss treatment. I hope I can hold
» on to my hair long enough for a real solution.

There is a big difference (at least to me) in “balding” vice “bald”. The slick skin bald NW6 isn’t a very appealing look to anyone.

» are bald?
»

Welcome to the real world kid. At 40, I would be very happy to be a NW 3.

Some of these results have impressed me and I wish to follow suit. HTs are not a one step job. Most of the time, it takes 2 or 3 sessions to get the results one wants.
When you were looking at the results, did they say it was the last session or the donor was tapped out?

»
» Wow - that guy has got one wierdly shaped head. And I think the effect of
» the HT was minimal .

See these results and say again. Keep in mind its probably work in progress.

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/board_entry-id-15838.html

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/board_entry-id-6262.html

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/board_entry-id-16767.html

I know none of these is a full head of hair. Even then, I would go for it knowing I could go for more.

All i can say is that some hair is better than none at all,If you get fue and if your face is framed you just shave your head and you will have the illusion of some hair and wont be considered as bald but balding,which is good enough for me.

» All i can say is that some hair is better than none at all,If you get fue
» and if your face is framed you just shave your head and you will have the
» illusion of some hair and wont be considered as bald but balding,which is
» good enough for me.

I don’t regret having a transplant I regret not going to a better doc; fortunately I am not bad and can cover mistakes but I could have been in a better position with more hair if i knew now back then. I think most of us look better with hair so why not if it makes you feel better

The heavily transplanted heads that still look balding are usually the result of these issues:

1. The guy might have gotten tricked into HTs by a hair mill early on, and now he can’t turn back even though he might wish he could.

2. Some guys’ heads just look so much worse bald that ANYTHING to frame the face is an improvement. Even if the final look is still not perfect.

One needs to be realistic about hair transplant results. If a patient has extensive hair loss, in other words, if a patient is an advanced norwood 5 or norwood 6, a transplant will not deliver the appearance of a full head of hair (in the vast majority of cases). This even applies to the best doctors, under the best conditions. Others may disputing this, however, this would be because they are lying, or they simply do not know any better.

Why get HT when you will not get a full head of hair? Well, first off, if one has limited loss, surgery can do wonders. Nevertheless, if a patient is very bald, it is hard to create a full appearance for all conditions. Still, I am sure most will acknowledge that some hair, if it looks totally natural, is better than no hair. Take a norwood 6, graft 5,000-7,000 healthy follicles in the recipient area, and what do you have? Not a full head of hair, but certainly a HUGE transformation. There will be a hairline to shape the face where once was a forehead with no borders. There is coverage where there once was shiny or very, very thin scalp. More importantly, the person is no longer bald! The general public does not really identity people with intact hairlines, good scalp coverage, and nice hair volume, as “bald.”

“Full” hair restoration (like Elvis, right?) for very bald men is pie in the sky, but dramatic transformations are quite possible.

Expectations, my friends :wink: