Whats essential in the "kit" patent

I was about to ask this.

What kind of odds are there that it might be worth playing with some Arava pills?

» experimentation is pointless if one cannot get a hold of $2500 dollar per
» month egf-receptor blocking drugs or cyclosporin…and
» since we cant and they are in the patent, one would be trusting mere luck
» to regrow a hair or two in all probability.
»
»
» Also, the stem cell capability of the dermis probably isn’t something one
» can dial up again and again. One might have to wait several months for an
» utter return of absolutely normal skin conditions before wounding the skin
» again if they did it and it failed
»
»
»
»
» Most importantly…most of the population would not know what
» they are doing and their scientific understanding would cause them to screw
» something up in the procss…wasting their own time. Follica is
» going to be testing this soon.
»
»
» Also…we really dont know if it works in human beings yet or not.
» Follica hasn’t tried it yet in people either.

I wonder how sure they are about dermabrasion equating to enough skin wounding to generate this stem cell activity. Did they dermabrade the skin on the mouse, I wonder, or use some other method of wounding the skin? Iguess the question is “How deep does the dermis have to be penetrated when the protein compound is applied?”

There’s no reason to assume that the wound needs to be deep.

Dermatologists have anecdotally reported seeing new hairs growing after just a normal dermabrasion session. This has been known for a long time.

And it would make sense to me if dermabrasion was mostly just whacking off the top area of an existing (but MPB’d into being dormant) follicle.

I think a controlled damage session to an existing follicle might be an ideal way to kick-start the body to repair it, “resetting” the MPB damage back to baseline in the process. It seems like it would be much less invasive & easier to grow a lot of the “new” hairs this way, rather than trying to get 100% of the new hair gains from creating all-new follicles.

» Maybe I need to look again…but I didn’t see wnt or lithium
» mentioned in the new patent.
»
»

There is one example in the new patent where the feed mice Doxycycline (FDA approved) for the first nine days and this induced Dkk1 expression and resulted in pigmented hairs. I have not seen this mentioned in any discussions, but it seems like even the WNT/pigmented hairs can be done with approved drugs.

page 60:
http://v3.espacenet.com/origdoc?DB=EPODOC&IDX=WO2008042216&F=0&QPN=WO2008042216

I feel more and more confident that this method just combines different approved drugs with the abrasion/wounding and that there wont be any troubles with FDA at all.

This is what we have been waiting for. An easy way to induce new follicles to grow. This is the cure.

» » Maybe I need to look again…but I didn’t see wnt or
» lithium
» » mentioned in the new patent.
» »
» »
»
» There is one example in the new patent where the feed mice Doxycycline
» (FDA approved) for the first nine days and this induced Dkk1 expression and
» resulted in pigmented hairs. I have not seen this mentioned in any
» discussions, but it seems like even the WNT/pigmented hairs can be done
» with approved drugs.

. Green tea blockYoung people have plenty of pigment in their skin and should produce dark hairs anyway. The re-epilithialization period in humans is shorter than it is in mice, and can be as little as three days----the human skin experiment showed hair germs at days seven post abrasions wnt.
»
» page 60:» Espacenet - Original document
»
»
» I feel more and more confident that this method just combines different
» approved drugs with the abrasion/wounding and that there wont be any
» troubles with FDA at all.
»
» This is what we have been waiting for. An easy way to induce new follicles
» to grow. This is the cure.
We dont know if this is a cure until Follica actually tries it in people. It may not work in us or may just generate an odd hair or two. We simply dont know until they test it. Due to the fact that if it does work, a bazillion men will probably want to try it at home…I almost look for Follica to have it availed for sale via dermatologists very quickly after their tests in case it does work. Perhaps thats why they are patenting the kits so early, so that they can get in production fast if the tests reveal nice hair growth.

» What kind of odds are there that it might be worth playing with some Arava
» pills?

The big question (in my mind, at least) with leflunomide is whether it will be effective topically. Leflunomide, by itself, isn’t active biologically. It has to be converted to A77 1726, which is its main metabolite. A77 1726, in turn, is what is repsonsible for the biological effects of leflunomide, including its anti-EGF properties (see the abstract below).

So, the question is, is the skin capable of metabolizing leflunomide to A77 1726 after topical administration?

It’s my understanding that the enzyme(s) that converts leflunomide to A77 1726 after oral adminstration have not been identified yet. I guess Follicla, or someone else, will just have to try it topically to see if it works.

TAGOHL

FEBS Lett. 1993 Nov 15;334(2):161-4.

Inhibition of the epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase activity by leflunomide.

Department of Immunology, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany.

The active metabolite of leflunomide, A77 1726 inhibits the proliferation of a variety of mammalian cell lines in culture. Epidermal growth factor (EGF)-dependent proliferation is inhibited by A77 1726 at an effective dose of 30-40 microM. A77 1726 appears to directly inhibit the EGF receptor tyrosine-specific kinase activity both in intact cells and purified EGF receptors at the same effective dose. These data suggest that leflunomide inhibits cellular proliferation by the inhibition of tyrosine-specific kinase activities.

PMID: 8224241 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

N/T

We dont know if this is a cure until Follica actually tries
» it in people. It may not work in us or may just generate an odd hair or
» two. We simply dont know until they test it. Due to the fact that if it
» does work, a bazillion men will probably want to try it at
» home…

Fully agree with you Benji - would be interesting to see which kinda density they can reach on human beings (if any).

Even if the real density is not there from the Follica method, I don’t see why you couldn’t do repeated rounds on the same spot. (Just like what we all wanted to do with the ICX-TRC project.)

Even if you had to wait a few months between rounds for your skin to really prepare for another healing session with Follica’s deal, I imagine it would still eventually get the job done.

» Even if the real density is not there from the Follica method, I don’t see
» why you coul dn’t do repeated rounds on the same spot. (Just like what we
» all wanted to do with the ICX-TRC project.)
»
» Even if you had to wait a few months between rounds for your skin to
» really prepare for another healing session with Follica’s deal, I imagine
» it would still eventually get the job done.