What is an optimist, what is a pessimist?

I often hear on the board that I am a pessimist and do not believe that HM will be here in the near future and that this is hurting the HM board, and why am I here anyways?

I answer that I am not a pessimist , I am a realist, there is a difference.

I was browsing the internet today, and came across the wikipedia page for one of the most decorated war heroes of the Vietnam War, General Stockdale.

In it there is a quote where an interviewer asks him…after the war…(he was a prisoner of war, held by the north vietnamese for many years)

When Collins asked who didn’t make it out, Stockdale replied
:

“Oh, that’s easy, the optimists. Oh, they were the ones who said, ‘We’re going to be out by Christmas.’ And Christmas would come, and Christmas would go. Then they’d say, ‘We’re going to be out by Easter.’ And Easter would come, and Easter would go. And then Thanksgiving, and then it would be Christmas again. And they died of a broken heart.”[2]

Witnessing this philosophy of duality, Collins went on to describe it as the Stockdale Paradox: “You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end — which you can never afford to lose — with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be.

I make this parallel to the HM board, to me the optimists here who latch onto every new lame brained theory, are like the prisoners or war who died of a broken heart

they are too eager to latch onto something and hope that a cure will be here in 2 years and I think they just set themselves up to be disappointed

Well irrespective of whether or not you’re a pessimist, optimist, realist, sadist; I don’t care. However you certainly are an attention seeker.

Your only motivation to write these long winded - meandering, nonsensical and downright irrelevant posts is because you love to wind people up and be the centre of attention, most people have seen through it by now.

» Well irrespective of whether or not you’re a pessimist, optimist, realist,
» sadist; I don’t care. However you certainly are an attention
» seeker.

yes god forbid someone should post on the HM board without permission, he must be an attention seeker…shocking people post dissenting opinions, i hope you didnt have a heart attack about this one…

Way to undeniably confirm my point, you replied in a whopping three minutes to a thread you posted two hours ago, bet you were rubbing your hands together with excitement, have fun.

you both posted right things!

@tylerdurden: you are right, he IS an attention seeker. its good for his ego to post in here and have these little fights. he s a sad guy. gets his ego from www.hairsite.com :smiley:

@hanginginthere: even if you just posted this for attention and to win fights…its true and a good story. and nice to read. you are right about many people in here. they are optimists setting theirself up for disappointment.

An optimist is someone who looks at the POW camp they’re in and says: “We’ll probably be out by christmas. With all the practicality problems and expenses of keeping us long-term and the USA’s desire to arrange our return, it seems like a possibility.”

A realist is one who says: “We might get out before the end of the whole war. It’s possible. But there’s no point in assuming we’re out until the helicopter is lifting off to take us back, and we’re nowhere near that yet. It’ll end eventually but there’s no end in sight right now.”

A pessimist is one who is ALREADY IN the frigging chopper on his way back, and says: “I know it’s clear weather, but these choppers crash all the time and VC will probably try to recapture us if we crash. And even then, these crashes are often fatal or crippling. Besides, I haven’t been free for 3 years up to now anyway. It would be stupid to assume I’ll be free in half an hour without proof.”

Why does it matter if people are pessamists or optimists? let them be what they want.

» Why does it matter if people are pessamists or optimists? let them be what
» they want.

true. anyway, someone else’s point of view is only from your point of view optimistic or pessimistic. if you call them optimists, maybe someone else calls them pessimists. its always only from your point of view.

maybe the optimists are the real realists…who knows…surely not hanging…!

» » Why does it matter if people are pessamists or optimists? let them be
» what
» » they want.
»
» true. anyway, someone else’s point of view is only from your point of view
» optimistic or pessimistic. if you call them optimists, maybe someone else
» calls them pessimists. its always only from your point of view.
»
» maybe the optimists are the real realists…who knows…surely not
» hanging…!

based on past history, the “optimists” on the board, are not the realists, they are delusional

nothing they have ever thought would happen, happened…even if it was later than their small window time frame, it didnt happen period

the “pessimists” , are the realists, we predict nothing will happen, and it doesnt

at least we are not dying of broken hearts like you guys

» Way to undeniably confirm my point, you replied in a whopping three minutes
» to a thread you posted two hours ago, bet you were rubbing your hands
» together with excitement, have fun.

if i happen to be online and on the board i reply when i see the post…check the reply time to this post einstein

» » » Why does it matter if people are pessamists or optimists? let them be
» » what
» » » they want.
» »
» » true. anyway, someone else’s point of view is only from your point of
» view
» » optimistic or pessimistic. if you call them optimists, maybe someone
» else
» » calls them pessimists. its always only from your point of view.
» »
» » maybe the optimists are the real realists…who knows…surely not
» » hanging…!
»
» based on past history, the “optimists” on the board, are not the realists,
» they are delusional
»
» nothing they have ever thought would happen, happened…even if it
» was later than their small window time frame, it didnt happen period
»
» the “pessimists” , are the realists, we predict nothing will happen, and
» it doesnt
»
» at least we are not dying of broken hearts like you guys

wow, you re a genius. the optimists were wrong. thats so easy to see, even you can see it. what do you want anyway? do you want them to be realistic and not get delusional. no, you just want attention. thats why you post posts like this on the hm-section and not in the support-forum. you need all these answers for your internet-ego. lol. do you even have one in the real world or are you a nerd in reality? well based on how much time you spend on hairsite that may be the case. we all know you seek for attention coz you dont get it in the real world.
why are all your posts in a way that it always ends in a fight? coz you want it. you like these fights and attention for your ego. poor guy.

» » » » Why does it matter if people are pessamists or optimists? let them
» be
» » » what
» » » » they want.
» » »
» » » true. anyway, someone else’s point of view is only from your point of
» » view
» » » optimistic or pessimistic. if you call them optimists, maybe someone
» » else
» » » calls them pessimists. its always only from your point of view.
» » »
» » » maybe the optimists are the real realists…who knows…surely
» not
» » » hanging…!
» »
» » based on past history, the “optimists” on the board, are not the
» realists,
» » they are delusional
» »
» » nothing they have ever thought would happen, happened…even if
» it
» » was later than their small window time frame, it didnt happen period
» »
» » the “pessimists” , are the realists, we predict nothing will happen,
» and
» » it doesnt
» »
» » at least we are not dying of broken hearts like you guys
»
» wow, you re a genius. the optimists were wrong. thats so easy to see, even
» you can see it. what do you want anyway? do you want them to be realistic
» and not get delusional. no, you just want attention. thats why you post
» posts like this on the hm-section and not in the support-forum. you need
» all these answers for your internet-ego. lol. do you even have one in the
» real world or are you a nerd in reality? well based on how much time you
» spend on hairsite that may be the case. we all know you seek for attention
» coz you dont get it in the real world.
» why are all your posts in a way that it always ends in a fight? coz you
» want it. you like these fights and attention for your ego. poor guy.

wow go practice your english, it is almost understandable

I never realized that I have been “dying of a broken heart” up to now, Hangin.

For some reason I though following the HM efforts was boosting my feelings about hair loss in general. Silly me.

We all know where hangin is categorized here.

I ve been a way for a while and its all the same hanging is still the forum clown who thinks that he has a good point that everyone is blind to it lol.

Though the truth has always been simple… no matter how hard he tries to make it appear that the problem that the whole board has with him is regarding his ideas about HM…he is just 2 big an idiot to be even recognized when he makes a simple good point.

Honestly man still pathetic lol why dont you change your username and start allover again.It will buy you some months of not being ridiculed :slight_smile:

» I ve been a way for a while and its all the same hanging is still the forum
» clown who thinks that he has a good point that everyone is blind to it
» lol.
»
» Though the truth has always been simple… no matter how hard he tries to
» make it appear that the problem that the whole board has with him is
» regarding his ideas about HM…he is just 2 big an idiot to be even
» recognized when he makes a simple good point.
»
» Honestly man still pathetic lol why dont you change your username and
» start allover again.It will buy you some months of not being ridiculed :slight_smile:

hows that toupee working for you dude? be sure and tape it down good, it helps keep down the snickers from strangers :smiley: :smiley: