What do you guys plan to do

One of the main thing that holds me up from having a HT is , future thinning

I see guys on the board all the time who are in their 20s and 30s and who go get these fabulous transplants. there is no question that todays docs, especially the ones who frequent this board, Can do some great work. These guys go and get like 5, 6, 7, 8000 grafts, and damn it sure looks nice

But isnt 8000 grafts about tapping out most guys, with either FUE or Strip? So what if, you get this great transplant and ur 30, and use up only 7000 grafts even, and then when ur in your 40s , you tragically go to a NW7??..Then you are left with this island of finely transplanted hair, surrounded by bald scalp, severely receded sides and back which you have, no chance of having enough donor hairs to replace.

Since we all know that Body Hair is iffy at best, I do not think many guys are keeping this as their backup in their mind. Are you guys just rolling the dice and hoping you dont go that bald? or are you hoping for a baldness cure by that time, to come to your rescue?

I am curious.

If that situation were to occur, and you went that bald and body hair, HM or some cure had not suddenly appeared, You would be in a tragic situation, doomed to live life like a freak, and wish you would never have heard of hair transplants.

This post is not meant to be sarcastic, or to shoot down the level of skill of the docs here, they are all very talented.

Thats why its important to go the fue route and if you do progress to a norwood 7 than you just shave everthing off and get on with your life.

» One of the main thing that holds me up from having a HT is , future
» thinning

Hangin, I’ve seen numerous posts by you claiming your hair is better than it was 15 years ago, thanks to your regimen. So how can you be concerned with future thinning? Apparently your regimen is not as successful as you claim.

» » One of the main thing that holds me up from having a HT is , future
» » thinning
»
» Hangin, I’ve seen numerous posts by you claiming your hair is better than
» it was 15 years ago, thanks to your regimen. So how can you be concerned
» with future thinning? Apparently your regimen is not as successful as you
» claim.

yes my hair is doing great, that is probably another reason i dont get a transplant, I mainly want mine to fill in the crown, however i have come to the conclusion that the crown hogs a lot of grafts, and i rather have a bald crown and thick top and front and sides, than to try to fix the crown and make my sides and everywhere else thinner
however nothing is forever

who knows what might happen 10 yrs from now, guys try regimens all the time that work great for 5 yrs 7 yrs then their hair starts to go downhill

you still did not answer the question, we are not talking about my hair, we are talking about other guys getting aggressive transplants at young ages

» who knows what might happen 10 yrs from now, guys try regimens all the
» time that work great for 5 yrs 7 yrs then their hair starts to go
» downhill

But you say yours has worked for 15 years…and looking better than ever. You think after 15 years it will just stop?

» you still did not answer the question, we are not talking about my hair,
» we are talking about other guys getting aggressive transplants at young
» ages

Can’t they just start a successful regimen such as yours to reverse the loss? You obviously not only halted your hair loss, but reversed it as your hair now looks better than it did 15 years ago.

» » who knows what might happen 10 yrs from now, guys try regimens all the
» » time that work great for 5 yrs 7 yrs then their hair starts to go
» » downhill
»
» But you say yours has worked for 15 years…and looking better than ever.
» You think after 15 years it will just stop?

I did not say mine has worked for 15 yrs, I started it in 1999, however the new growth and thickening I have observed since then has made my hair look better than it did 15 yrs ago

»
» » you still did not answer the question, we are not talking about my
» hair,
» » we are talking about other guys getting aggressive transplants at young
» » ages
»
» Can’t they just start a successful regimen such as yours to reverse the
» loss? You obviously not only halted your hair loss, but reversed it as
» your hair now looks better than it did 15 years ago.

Cant they just start a successful regimen, good question. If I could find a regimen that I could point to and say Hey Joe just do this and save your hair, I would be a billionaire. But it is not that simple. Plenty of guys who try MY successful regimen, see absolutely nothing, and sure some see good results and are happy. So every person reacts differently. Some guys try everything and nothing works, you know that is true. If only it were that simple

I totally agree with fuzzo. Do fue and don’t get greedy. You can shave your head or at least cut it really short and still look natural.

» I totally agree with fuzzo. Do fue and don’t get greedy. You can shave your
» head or at least cut it really short and still look natural.

that might work

» » I totally agree with fuzzo. Do fue and don’t get greedy. You can shave
» your
» » head or at least cut it really short and still look natural.
»
»
» that might work

Yep, that’s exactly what I’d do as well, guys.
I’ve always believed that a shaved head with even a light scattering of stubble near the hairline looks one thousand times better than a totally shiny bald head. And after a FUE procedure, you can always shave it all of and still look good even if the crown and temples recede away to nothing. It’s all in the hairline…:slight_smile:

» » » I totally agree with fuzzo. Do fue and don’t get greedy. You can shave
» » your
» » » head or at least cut it really short and still look natural.
» »
» »
» » that might work
»
» Yep, that’s exactly what I’d do as well, guys.
» I’ve always believed that a shaved head with even a light scattering of
» stubble near the hairline looks one thousand times better than a totally
» shiny bald head. And after a FUE procedure, you can always shave it all of
» and still look good even if the crown and temples recede away to nothing.
» It’s all in the hairline…:slight_smile:

guys who can, shave

some guys have odd shaped heads though, and dont exactly look great with shaved noggins

Why use up all your hair for the hairline. I will rather go for less dense but natural look up front using 3000 grafts and form a fall back plan of BHT /beard hair for the back.
3000 head grafts combined with 3000 beard graftsand 3000 from chest etc total 9000 grafts. Unless fall in the extremely unlucky norwood 7, 9000 backup grafts should be a good safety net. Dont you think so.

Forgot to mention - no strip for the first transplant.

» Why use up all your hair for the hairline. I will rather go for less dense
» but natural look up front using 3000 grafts and form a fall back plan of
» BHT /beard hair for the back.
» 3000 head grafts combined with 3000 beard graftsand 3000 from chest etc
» total 9000 grafts. Unless fall in the extremely unlucky norwood 7, 9000
» backup grafts should be a good safety net. Dont you think so.
»
» Forgot to mention - no strip for the first transplant.

well since by the age of lets say 45 , most guys thinning pattern would be well established, I would say getting a transplant in early 20s would be a bit nuts, but then again we all have to make our own determinations, of what is best for us

To tell you the truth I’m just willing to risk it.

I don’t prescrible this thinking to anyone else, but I’ve got no NW#6-7s anywhere in the family and I’m 29yo with only a NW#3 hair situation. When I eventually get HTs (probably within 2-3 years from now), I’m just gonna roll the dice that future advancements will help me later on.

My loss has been pretty slow & gradual so far, and I’m probably only shooting for a (lifetime) NW#5-into-NW#2 improvement. So perfect & affordable hair multiplication doesn’t have to come to market within 5 years just to do me some good. I’ll probably be quite safe as long as some kind of new advancement helps out with a couple thousand more filler grafts within the next 10-20 years. Even just a better loss-prevention advancement within that timeframe could be enough to do the job for me.

Life is too short, we can take a chance and do something now or we can waste our life away in hair loss forums for the next decade. I hate looking at myself in the mirror every morning and that is reason enough to do something now.

Life is too short to be miserable. I’m getting work done this summer, buzzing short, and moving on with my life!

In 1992 I wanted more hair in my 20s and took the HT plunge.

Having hair in my 20s was a confidence builder, for sure.
Pictures, video, events, swimming, etc. were mostly painless.
Confidence with women was never an issue.

These days,with FUE, BHT and meds, I’d go for it with less hesitation.
Do the research, of course, and pick your doc VERY carefully.
One’s donor hair is very telling.
Thick, healthy donor hair?
Much better chance of excellent results, IMO.

Now, if I really thought I was headed to NW7-land, I’d have a much harder decision to make.
(Bigger time commitment, more money, (un)realistic expectations, etc.)

If I were starting down the HT path again in my 20s and wanted to fill in the temples/hairline (and could afford it), I’d get on meds and try some FUE (and a BHT test, if I had good BH).

Then, over time, have 1-2 thousand FUE every few years, as (if) needed.
The art of FUE will only improve over time and prices may drop over time as well.

I did this with strips and would NOT recommend this today.
Especially since buzzing the hair is much more stylish today than it was
in the 1990s.

Plan very carefully both clinic-wise and financially.

My 2 cents

Dear Hanginginthere,
I believe that the advances in hair restoration have reached a stage where, in suitable patients, a transition from NW 6 to NW 1 is possible.

While I do not advocate undue wastage of grafts in any particular area, we are past the point where hair restorations can deliver only an “illusion” of coverage.

Cases of Newmane, Checkingin and Fueoptions are some that come first to mind. Viking and finallyfree also.
There are others too. I shall be discussing some cases of extensive hairloss completing their journey in different ways in near future.

The key is to assume that you will require future hair transplants when you go for the first one. That way, if one loses more hair, there are no rude surprises. If you do not lose any more hair, thats a good bonus.

Regards,
Dr. A