Useful Purpose or Just Vanity?

I remember a while back, I read an article about men’s hair loss stating that male scalp hair serves no purpose other than cosmetic. The reality is, hair acts as a barrier to the sun and protects your scalp. That’s the opinion of the president of the American Academy of Dermatology.
Dr. Paul McAndrews, clinical professor at the USC School of Medicine has removed many skin cancers appearing on the scalp. He generally finds them on the part-line or cow-lick area. Dr. McAndrews recommends those with a thick head of hair move their part line. Since you are reading this in a hair loss forum, chances are, this advice will not apply to you. When I was in my late 20’s, my hair was thin enough to allow enough of the sun’s harmful rays to reach my scalp to cause a bad sunburn. Repeated exposure to the sun’s harmful rays caused my scalp to develop Actinic Keratosis. Roughly 10% of Actinic Keratosis will develop into skin cancer if left untreated. You get rid of Actinic Keratosis by applying cancer-killing medications but they make the treated area look like a mess for several weeks. I personally used 5-Fluorouracil to treat my AK. It worked, but a better option would have been to keep my head covered.
Current hair transplant technology hasn’t advanced to the point where a person with extensive hair loss can achieve really thick universal coverage. I do believe that day will come though. Just don’t let anyone tell you that you’re purely vain for wanting your hair back.

-CITNews works at Dr. Cole’s office
www.forhair.com

I fully agree with this written opinion. It is scientifically proven that the naked-bold scalp skin is exposed to the sun rays and thus actinic keratosis is a very usual and dangerous local complication. It is practically a pro-cancer situation. As a conclusion hair restoration for androgenetic alopecia is not a case of cosmetic procedure as many want to simplify it, but it does serve the health status of the person. It is also a fact that at the present time we are not able to provide a full hair coverage of the alopecia area (especially in great scales of alopecia), yet in the future I believe that science will provide the way to overcome this problem.

Regards

» It is also
» a fact that at the present time we are not able to provide a full hair
» coverage of the alopecia area (especially in great scales of alopecia), yet
» in the future I believe that science will provide the way to overcome this
» problem.

I don’t see how hair transplantion can ever be advanced to the point of full coverage since they just redistribute available hairs. I think the advances that will lead to a full head of hair will not arise from the hair transplant industry but rather from hair cloning or growth factor or drug based PGD2 suppression. Unfortunately, I think the hair transplantation industry has not advanced very much since the introduction of the FUE technique. Perhaps an investigation in what Dr. Gho is doing might be a viable option for HT surgeons to further increase the obtainable yield from the donor area. To this date I fail to understand why no hair surgeon has conducted a comprehensive investigation of Dr. Ghos technique.

Does a glass eye serve no purpose other than cosmetic?

» I remember a while back, I read an article about men’s hair loss stating
» that male scalp hair serves no purpose other than cosmetic. The reality
» is, hair acts as a barrier to the sun and protects your scalp. That’s the
» opinion of the president of the American Academy of Dermatology.
» Dr. Paul McAndrews, clinical professor at the USC School of Medicine has
» removed many skin cancers appearing on the scalp. He generally finds them
» on the part-line or cow-lick area. Dr. McAndrews recommends those with a
» thick head of hair move their part line. Since you are reading this in a
» hair loss forum, chances are, this advice will not apply to you. When I
» was in my late 20’s, my hair was thin enough to allow enough of the sun’s
» harmful rays to reach my scalp to cause a bad sunburn. Repeated exposure to
» the sun’s harmful rays caused my scalp to develop Actinic Keratosis.
» Roughly 10% of Actinic Keratosis will develop into skin cancer if left
» untreated. You get rid of Actinic Keratosis by applying cancer-killing
» medications but they make the treated area look like a mess for several
» weeks. I personally used 5-Fluorouracil to treat my AK. It worked, but a
» better option would have been to keep my head covered.
» Current hair transplant technology hasn’t advanced to the point where a
» person with extensive hair loss can achieve really thick universal
» coverage. I do believe that day will come though. Just don’t let anyone
» tell you that you’re purely vain for wanting your hair back.
»
» -CITNews works at Dr. Cole’s office
» www.forhair.com

» » It is also
» » a fact that at the present time we are not able to provide a full hair
» » coverage of the alopecia area (especially in great scales of alopecia),
» yet
» » in the future I believe that science will provide the way to overcome
» this
» » problem.
»
» I don’t see how hair transplantion can ever be advanced to the point of
» full coverage since they just redistribute available hairs. I think the
» advances that will lead to a full head of hair will not arise from the hair
» transplant industry but rather from hair cloning or growth factor or drug
» based PGD2 suppression. Unfortunately, I think the hair transplantation
» industry has not advanced very much since the introduction of the FUE
» technique. Perhaps an investigation in what Dr. Gho is doing might be a
» viable option for HT surgeons to further increase the obtainable yield from
» the donor area. To this date I fail to understand why no hair surgeon has
» conducted a comprehensive investigation of Dr. Ghos technique.

I agree, even the finest hair transplant surgery will not address the issue of limited donor supply. Regenerative medicine is most likely the key and the probable future of hair transplant surgery related to full hair restoration.

Dr. Gho’s technique is an interesting subject. Hopefully Dr. Gho will share his technique with other doctors in the future.

www.forhair.com

I don’t think there will ever be a time when someone goes through a hair transplant surgery just so that he can have some protection against skin cancer. And you are correct, hair transplant will never produce the density we need for sufficient protection against the sun.

I personally believe that one day reasonably soon, there will be a complete cure for male pattern baldness. When that happens, I think hair popularity will reach an all-time high. I agree, people won’t be restoring their hair to avoid skin cancer, but the added protection provided by hair will always be a welcome bonus. I have personally met hair transplant patients, whose transplanted hair has provided enough coverage to provide protection from the sun’s harmful rays. Although some of the patients were previously in the Norwood 5 range, None were previously Norwood 6.