Unusal men balding pattern - is this DUPA? (photos)

Hi there

I’m 27 years old and I always had thin hair. At 16, people were already mentioning my hair was very thin and it looked like I was going to be bald soon. As you might imagine, this is not very reassuring at such age, and since early my hair has been a big concern to me.

Since I played guitar in a rock band during my high school phase, I started using my hair long, which helped concealing the hair loss.

At 18 I started taking propecia, and I have been on 1,25mg/day since then. In the beginning my hair was thin, and the thinning has always slowly progressed. Propecia didn’t make me regrow any hair, but it probably slowed down the loss. In my family, my uncle had premature MPB, as well as a 1st degree cousin.

As to my balding pattern, I actually find it is quite unusual. Even though it’s thinner, I still have my full hair line, and temple points, but my hair is incredibly thin everywhere, specially on top and sides. You can easily see a lot of my scalp on my sides if I’m not using concealers. It looks like female pattern baldness, and I don’t know if this is common in men, but I think not.

What do you think? Is it good old MPB or anything else? Diffuse unpatterned alopecia?

Get your thyroid checked, though I wouldn’t get your hopes up. The pattern of my hairloss is similar to yours (diffuse thinning, though I maintain a normal/mature hairline), though not as severe.

» Get your thyroid checked, though I wouldn’t get your hopes up. The pattern
» of my hairloss is similar to yours (diffuse thinning, though I maintain a
» normal/mature hairline), though not as severe.

I agree. Though thyroid disorder might be a possibility, hair loss in males is rather rare due to this. The vast majority of male alopecia is AGA.
Do you have any other symptoms? Changes in weight? Low/high body temperature? Fatigue or weakness?

That last photo is of the back of your head? Yeah it does look strange. It also looks like you have a patch of thicker hair on one side at the back. It might be a combination of AGA and something else. Alopecia areata. I am not sure. If you could see a dermatologist. I dont know a hell of a lot about other types of hair loss but the loss at the sides and back does look kind of unusual.