Trends in modern hair transplants

Dear forum readers and fellow hair transplant doctors,
The art and science of hair restoration has come a long way.

From an era of “reasonable expectations on part of the patient”, after affixing a few score unseemly plugs on his bald scalp, we have reached a stage where hair restoration can acheive natural as well as ambitiously pleasing results.

Some of the trends that are presently manifest, and, will be highlighted even more in future :-

The good trends

1. Fuller, more complete hair restorations.
    We shall see an increasing number of patients completing their journey from a Norwood 6 stage to a cosmetically pleasing Norwood 1.
    With the aid of body hair - to - scalp transplants, and facial hair - to - scalp transplants; suitable treatment plans are possible.

2. Less invasive hair restorations
    While strip does retain a place, less invasive fue methods, (I refer to fue as a concept - not the name of any technique in particular), are available.
    These methods can extract donor hair without the problems associated with strip surgery. The patients shall retain the option to shave/buzz cut, thus, benefitting from the “less is more” approach.

3. Instituitionalized training of physicians - More and more doctors in future shall have access to prolonged and proper training before they become independent hair transplant surgeons.
    The best training courses will be sought after and these will also be the most scientific and thorough ones.
    This will act as a welcome respite to patients who may not be able to travel to the ends of the world for their hair restorations.

The unfortunate/bad trends

1. Bad hair transplants
    Wrongly/poorly regulated is a mild way of labelling the current state of the field of hair transplant science.
    Increasing awareness of the potential of hair restoration surgeries will lead to spawning of commercial hair transplant outlets wishing to encash on the demand.
    People will get to know the possibilities of advanced hair restoration surgery and a majority will rush to the neighbourhood establishments claiming to deliver the new techniques. Unfortunately, most of these will be run by physicians who have not undergone proper training under the tutelage of senior fue practitioners.

In the absence of strict regulations, requiring proper training of the physicians, the number of botched hair transplants shall increase manifold.

1. Strip v/s fue v/s BHT fights and disinformation
    There are many clinics that perform strip but have not taken steps to learn fue and bht.
    As time passes by, the knowledge/experience gap between the two types of clinics, (those that are adept at fue/bht and those that are not), will widen.
    There will be a rash of clinics that will confidently convince their patients on their ability to deliver similar results with fue/bht. Not being able to deliver, they will blame the technique or the type of donor hair itself.
    Expect increasingly frequent shrill warnings from the clinics that have little experience about fue/bht (against fue/bht) in the coming years.
    The more the results, the more shall be the disinformation spread against the newer methods for the benefit of the older ones.

2. Egoism among the doctors
    Those that know and practise fue/bht shall be at the recieving end of infights due to egotism.

Regards,
Dr. A

» 3. Egoism among the doctors
» Those that know and practise fue/bht shall be at the recieving end of
» infights due to egotism.
»
» Regards,
» Dr. A

Anyone in particular to mind.:slight_smile:

Dr. Arvind do you see the demand for fue increase or decrease this past year?

» Dr. Arvind do you see the demand for fue increase or decrease this past
» year?

Dear johnp,
The request for FUSE, BHT and beard hair transplant has increased at a steady pace.
Regards,
Dr. A

» » Dr. Arvind do you see the demand for fue increase or decrease this past
» » year?
»
» Dear johnp,
» The request for FUSE, BHT and beard hair transplant has increased at a
» steady pace.
» Regards,
» Dr. A

Thank you.

Medical vacations will be a big trend, it already is now. Thousands are already going to Thailand to have heart surgeries these days. I see there will be more and more people going to India, Mexico for hair transplants.

» Medical vacations will be a big trend, it already is now. Thousands are
» already going to Thailand to have heart surgeries these days. I see there
» will be more and more people going to India, Mexico for hair transplants.

Going to India or Mexico would make me nervous. Doesn’t Thailand have the highest rate of HIV infection in Asia? How do you know the clinics will spend the money to properly sterilize the equipment? What happens if they reuse the same tools over and over again in order to save money?

» » Medical vacations will be a big trend, it already is now. Thousands are
» » already going to Thailand to have heart surgeries these days. I see
» there
» » will be more and more people going to India, Mexico for hair
» transplants.
»
» Going to India or Mexico would make me nervous. Doesn’t Thailand have the
» highest rate of HIV infection in Asia? How do you know the clinics will
» spend the money to properly sterilize the equipment? What happens if they
» reuse the same tools over and over again in order to save money?

I thought about that too. But I have seen many clinics use disposable instruments now.

Hair multiplication is only a few years away, you don’t see the demand for hair transplant slowing down in the future?

» Going to India or Mexico would make me nervous. Doesn’t Thailand have the
» highest rate of HIV infection in Asia? How do you know the clinics will
» spend the money to properly sterilize the equipment? What happens if they
» reuse the same tools over and over again in order to save money?

Well it doesn’t matter where you go, you get what you pay for. There are terrible and excellent doctors and clinics in Mexico, Brazil,India, The States, Canada, France and Mars. Mexico, India, Cuba and Argentina can be “third world countries” but very advanced in medical issues. I went to Mexico to have a hair transplant a year ago and results have been excelent, costs were high compared to Mexican standards but 1/3 compared to American and Canadian costs. Just a last comment most of the people who were going to have a hair transplant at that clinic were from The US and Canada.

» The unfortunate/bad trends

»
» 2. Strip v/s fue v/s BHT fights and disinformation
» There are many clinics that perform strip but have not taken steps to
» learn fue and bht.
» As time passes by, the knowledge/experience gap between the two types of
» clinics, (those that are adept at fue/bht and those that are not), will
» widen.
» There will be a rash of clinics that will confidently convince their
» patients on their ability to deliver similar results with fue/bht. Not
» being able to deliver, they will blame the technique or the type of donor
» hair itself.
» Expect increasingly frequent shrill warnings from the clinics that have
» little experience about fue/bht (against fue/bht) in the coming years.
» The more the results, the more shall be the disinformation spread against
» the newer methods for the benefit of the older ones.
»
»
» Regards,
» Dr. A

Dr. A,

I’ll skip over #1 and #3 as these have been problems since the very first HT was performed, however, the emergence of #2 as a problem in the industry is new to this field.

While the gap I believe will eventually narrow between those doctors like yourself who are adept at BHT surgery and those who are not, I fear for the time being that a new chapter of failed results is about to be opened by physicians hoping to cash in on this revolution in hair transplantation.

While important to focus on the positive of this new donor source being utilized, its also smart to remember that a whole generation of new doctors learning this approach promise to offer less than stellar results.

Personally, I wouldnt spend a dime of my money on having BHT performed by anyone other than about 5 doctors, worldwide. I hope others having this done in the near future know the degree of difficulty in getting good results this way, as far as FUE, I believe that its practice will be more widespread in less time than BHT.

» » Going to India or Mexico would make me nervous. Doesn’t Thailand have
» the
» » highest rate of HIV infection in Asia? How do you know the clinics
» will
» » spend the money to properly sterilize the equipment? What happens if
» they
» » reuse the same tools over and over again in order to save money?
»
» Well it doesn’t matter where you go, you get what you pay for. There are
» terrible and excellent doctors and clinics in Mexico, Brazil,India, The
» States, Canada, France and Mars. Mexico, India, Cuba and Argentina can be
» “third world countries” but very advanced in medical issues. I went to
» Mexico to have a hair transplant a year ago and results have been excelent,
» costs were high compared to Mexican standards but 1/3 compared to American
» and Canadian costs. Just a last comment most of the people who were going
» to have a hair transplant at that clinic were from The US and Canada.

Which clinic did you got to in Mexico?

PS: The problem with North Americans is that we assume that our own hospitals are doing the things we are worrying about in the foreign hospitals. How many cases of medical malpractice happen in our own backyards?

Any Mexican clinic that starts doing good reliable FUE work for half the US/Canadian price would probably be flooded with business once word got out.

» Any Mexican clinic that starts doing good reliable FUE work for half the
» US/Canadian price would probably be flooded with business once word got
» out.

What about Dr. bazan, he does fue in Mexico, I haven’t heard anything about him for a long time.