Transplant advice needed

I’ve been actively fighting hairloss for about 5 years. I’m a 40 yr old male. I’ve tried just about every topical out there (no exaggeration), including experimental peptides. I took Avodart for 2 years, with little success and sexual side effects. I’ve taken many natural internals. I feel like I’ve halted hairloss, and possibly had slight improvement, but I now feel that satisfactory results are not feasible without a transplant. I want to have realistic expectations, so I’m hoping to get advice from everyone here – especially from those who’ve had transplants with hairloss that is similar to mine (pics attached).

I now use AA (AloeVera/Avodart) topical, Nizoral 1% (2x/week), Revita, SpectralDNC, Fish oil, antioxidants and vitamins.

Some questions:

Dr Armani seems to be a favorite on the forums, but is he really worth more than 2x the other doctors? I really would need some convincing to pay the kind of money he’s asking. What doctors give top results without the “luxury” pricing model? I live in the US, but I will have to travel to another city regardless of who I chose. I don’t mind international travel (beyond US and Canada) unless I’ll be expected to go several times for multiple treatments, because then it becomes much more expensive than domestic travel.

From what I’ve seen of the pics posted here, the ones showing the best results are for guys who already have super thick hair and just need to get their hairline fixed up a little – otherwise they are not really thinning. For more extensive hairloss and thinning, the guys who have had several procedures seem to have the best results. Is it realistic for me to get significant density on the whole front portion of my head, with less recession and a lower hairline? Will the density at least match the back top portion of my head? Will it take multiple procedures to achieve this?

I saw a discussion here about white dots. I’ve had some moles (dark freckles) removed that went from pink, to even skin tone, to eventually white dots over time. The moles were larger in size than an FU, so that might be a factor, but do I risk having white dots or a white hairline that contrasts with my rose/flesh colored forehead?

In a lot of the pics posted, the patients are using gels or other hair products. Will the transplanted hair match the direction, tecture, and overall appearance of surrounding hair, or will I need to always use products so the transplanted hair “blends in”?

I am at a point in my career where I’m becoming much more visible in my industry and have great leadership opportunities available to me. I also spend time with collegues in the outdoors and water sports, so topical coverup products are not convenient. It’s important that I get results that don’t look like surgery, and I want the option to wear my hair very short on occasion. I know I want a lot, but I cannot afford to look fake or foolish as a result of the procedure.

I need a lot of advice, and thanks for any help you can give.

gf

Your age is definitely in your favor, plus it’s a good thing that you are on a fairly comprehensive regimen for hair loss. They may not be as effective as you want, but even if they can just slow down the progression of hair loss is a big bonus.

» Some questions:
»
» Dr Armani seems to be a favorite on the forums, but is he really worth
» more than 2x the other doctors? I really would need some convincing to
» pay the kind of money he’s asking. What doctors give top results without
» the “luxury” pricing model? I live in the US, but I will have to travel
» to another city regardless of who I chose. I don’t mind international
» travel (beyond US and Canada) unless I’ll be expected to go several times
» for multiple treatments, because then it becomes much more expensive than
» domestic travel.

Every doctor has something different to offer, a lot depends on your goals and expectations. It best to have a consultation with as many doctors as possible so that you can make an informed decision.

» Is it realistic for me
» to get significant density on the whole front portion of my head, with
» less recession and a lower hairline? Will the density at least match the
» back top portion of my head? Will it take multiple procedures to achieve
» this?

I see that you are looking for something “aggressive”. You seem to have good hair characteristics, I am sure some doctors will give you what you want. But that may not necessarily be in your best interest in the long run. Something that you have to consider very carefully. Remember, you only have so many donor follicles to work with.

»
» I saw a discussion here about white dots. I’ve had some moles (dark
» freckles) removed that went from pink, to even skin tone, to eventually
» white dots over time. The moles were larger in size than an FU, so that
» might be a factor, but do I risk having white dots or a white hairline
» that contrasts with my rose/flesh colored forehead?

Something that you should discuss in detail with the doctor. Personally, I suspect that the hairline will not be a problem, but it’s the donor site that you need to worry about if you cut your hair very short.

»
» In a lot of the pics posted, the patients are using gels or other hair
» products. Will the transplanted hair match the direction, tecture, and
» overall appearance of surrounding hair, or will I need to always use
» products so the transplanted hair “blends in”?

Choose your doctor wisely. The more experienced doctors can mimic what nature gave you. You don’t need styling aids.

Email me hairsite@aol.com and I can get different doctors review your case and let you know their opinions.

Ideally I’d like to have an “agressive” solution, but I realize that’s probably not possible or it’s maybe not a smart thing to do. I guess I’d like to know exactly what I can expect to achieve before I go through the huge hassle, recovery time, and expense. I don’t want to be suprised and misled, only to be disappointed or find that I have to go back a half dozen times, or find that I look foolish.

The top rear portion of my scalp is thinner than it used to be in my teens, but something I can live with. I understand it might not be possible or not smart to get my top front, where I have my main hairloss, as dense as the top rear, but then what should I expect to get from the procedure? I’ve seen some photos here where guys got transplants and the end result is thinner than what I already have. It would be nice to have some measure of the end result before undertaking the whole process.

As you can see, my top front is a mess, with very inconsistant density. I would be fine with lowering my hairline the smallest amount or even not at all. My main goal is to even out the density in the front, but I don’t need to bring it much lower. It would be nice to have it as dense as the top rear, but most important is that the front itself be a consistent density with itself. Secondly, even though I don’t have to have a lower hairline, I would like to even out the recession, since one side is more recessed than the other.

» Choose your doctor wisely. The more experienced doctors can mimic what
» nature gave you. You don’t need styling aids.

Can you be more specific about recommendations of “the more experienced doctors?” I’d like to get names of 2-3 doctors who top the list based on your criteria. If anyone else has an opinion, please share it.

I’ll send you an email. Thanks!

gf

» Your age is definitely in your favor, plus it’s a good thing that you are
» on a fairly comprehensive regimen for hair loss. They may not be as
» effective as you want, but even if they can just slow down the progression
» of hair loss is a big bonus.
»
» » Some questions:
» »
» » Dr Armani seems to be a favorite on the forums, but is he really worth
» » more than 2x the other doctors? I really would need some convincing to
» » pay the kind of money he’s asking. What doctors give top results
» without
» » the “luxury” pricing model? I live in the US, but I will have to
» travel
» » to another city regardless of who I chose. I don’t mind international
» » travel (beyond US and Canada) unless I’ll be expected to go several
» times
» » for multiple treatments, because then it becomes much more expensive
» than
» » domestic travel.
»
» Every doctor has something different to offer, a lot depends on your goals
» and expectations. It best to have a consultation with as many doctors as
» possible so that you can make an informed decision.
»
» » Is it realistic for me
» » to get significant density on the whole front portion of my head, with
» » less recession and a lower hairline? Will the density at least match
» the
» » back top portion of my head? Will it take multiple procedures to
» achieve
» » this?
»
» I see that you are looking for something “aggressive”. You seem to have
» good hair characteristics, I am sure some doctors will give you what you
» want. But that may not necessarily be in your best interest in the long
» run. Something that you have to consider very carefully. Remember, you
» only have so many donor follicles to work with.
»
» »
» » I saw a discussion here about white dots. I’ve had some moles (dark
» » freckles) removed that went from pink, to even skin tone, to eventually
» » white dots over time. The moles were larger in size than an FU, so
» that
» » might be a factor, but do I risk having white dots or a white hairline
» » that contrasts with my rose/flesh colored forehead?
»
» Something that you should discuss in detail with the doctor. Personally, I
» suspect that the hairline will not be a problem, but it’s the donor site
» that you need to worry about if you cut your hair very short.
»
» »
» » In a lot of the pics posted, the patients are using gels or other hair
» » products. Will the transplanted hair match the direction, tecture, and
» » overall appearance of surrounding hair, or will I need to always use
» » products so the transplanted hair “blends in”?
»
» Choose your doctor wisely. The more experienced doctors can mimic what
» nature gave you. You don’t need styling aids.
»
» Email me hairsite@aol.com and I can get different doctors review your case
» and let you know their opinions.

lowering your hairline? i m sure armani will give you what you want!

Try to be conservative on lowering hairlines buddy.

Your crown looks great which means almost all of your balding pattern is in front. It is true that getting FUE with Armani costs more than average but as far as I know he is still doing strip. Since all of your baldness is in the front, I would definitely consider him. His strip prices are pretty close to the national average and his results are definitely way above average. I had a strip procedure with him and found the cost comparable to some of the other quotes i was getting for other dr’s. Just my 2c.

Dear Growfast,

I think you still have a lot of hair considering your age. I think you should be consevative and concentrate on your hairline as you still have a decent amount of hair and coverage at the back.

One thing about DR Armani. His results seem to be amazing in terms of undectability and density. The problem with Armani is that he is simply too expensive. there’s no way the average joe could afford those prices.

I’m in no way tryng to knock him down as I think he would be first or second on my list if I had the money for a transplant right now. I think Dr Arvind and Dr Umar are achieving great results recently. But in your case a wouldn’t go down the BHT route

All the best

» Dear Growfast,
»
» I think you still have a lot of hair considering your age. I think you
» should be consevative and concentrate on your hairline as you still have a
» decent amount of hair and coverage at the back.
»
» One thing about DR Armani. His results seem to be amazing in terms of
» undectability and density. The problem with Armani is that he is simply
» too expensive. there’s no way the average joe could afford those prices.
»
» I’m in no way tryng to knock him down as I think he would be first or
» second on my list if I had the money for a transplant right now. I think
» Dr Arvind and Dr Umar are achieving great results recently. But in your
» case a wouldn’t go down the BHT route
»
»
» All the best

Yeah i must also agree, armanis results are amazing that is for sure. What do you think of the work and the density/ Can he achieve very high density? I have heard that he can, but since we are talking about this i thought you could comment on it for me.

Growfast.
Your frontal area from midscalp to the projected hairline (variable depending on your expectation) will need 4000-5000 scalp hair grafts . The hair that you have in the frontal area now is not considered cosmetically useful longterm since it will likely diminish over the next 10 years. I suspect a surgeon would consider this expendable hair in the front for that reason and factor that in to what your future needs are in this area.

You look to have plenty of scalp donor to cover the area that you are looking for coverage. Again alot has to do with how agressive you want to work with your hairline (eg. how low you want and how much recessed look you care to have) that frames your face well.That could actually lessen your graft count by 1000-2000 grafts if you do not want to be agressive . I have had both strip and FUE and I would always recommend FUE over strip simply due to the scar potential and your need to cut your hair shorter in years to come. The choice is a personal preferance which most of the time comes down to the financial impact of strip versus FUE which fortunately the gap has lessened considerably over the past couple of years .

19,000 Grafts by Dr Umar
www.myhairtransformation.com

» Growfast.
» Your frontal area from midscalp to the projected hairline (variable
» depending on your expectation) will need 4000-5000 scalp hair grafts . The
» hair that you have in the frontal area now is not considered cosmetically
» useful longterm since it will likely diminish over the next 10 years. I
» suspect a surgeon would consider this expendable hair in the front for
» that reason and factor that in to what your future needs are in this area.
»
»
» You look to have plenty of scalp donor to cover the area that you are
» looking for coverage. Again alot has to do with how agressive you want to
» work with your hairline (eg. how low you want and how much recessed look
» you care to have) that frames your face well.That could actually lessen
» your graft count by 1000-2000 grafts if you do not want to be agressive .
» I have had both strip and FUE and I would always recommend FUE over
» strip simply due to the scar potential and your need to cut your hair
» shorter in years to come. The choice is a personal preferance which most
» of the time comes down to the financial impact of strip versus FUE which
» fortunately the gap has lessened considerably over the past couple of
» years .
»
» 19,000 Grafts by Dr Umar
» www.myhairtransformation.com

I’m down to a number 3 clipper 3 months after having a huge strip procedure. If you go to the right doctor strip is very unnoticable unless u shave totally clean. If you plan to shave your head…why get a transplant.

Ninjaxan,
You make a good point but everyone has different desires for hairstyles and there is always the risk of scar stretching with strip procedures. When I stated there may be a need to cut the hair shorter in future years I did not necessarily mean shaving it all the way down - I simply meant shorter (eg. as a number 1 or 2 cut on the back sides . The advantages of strip versus FUE have been discussed on this board many times over so that debate is nothing new.Most people know the pro’s and con’s of each so they have to make a decision. I think even Muscleboy who has had both strip and FUE with Dr Armani with excellent results recently praised FUE over his strip procedure in regards to the healing process . The financial impact is the biggest difference of the two . Alot of progress has been made over the past several years with strip procedures and the healing/scar detectability .

19,000 grafts with Dr Umar
www.myhairtransformation.com

»

»
» I’ve been actively fighting hairloss for about 5 years. I’m a 40 yr old
» male. I’ve tried just about every topical out there (no exaggeration),
» including experimental peptides. I took Avodart for 2 years, with little
» success and sexual side effects. I’ve taken many natural internals. I
» feel like I’ve halted hairloss, and possibly had slight improvement, but I
» now feel that satisfactory results are not feasible without a transplant.
» I want to have realistic expectations, so I’m hoping to get advice from
» everyone here – especially from those who’ve had transplants with
» hairloss that is similar to mine (pics attached).
»
» I now use AA (AloeVera/Avodart) topical, Nizoral 1% (2x/week), Revita,
» SpectralDNC, Fish oil, antioxidants and vitamins.
»
» Some questions:
»
» Dr Armani seems to be a favorite on the forums, but is he really worth
» more than 2x the other doctors? I really would need some convincing to
» pay the kind of money he’s asking. What doctors give top results without
» the “luxury” pricing model? I live in the US, but I will have to travel
» to another city regardless of who I chose. I don’t mind international
» travel (beyond US and Canada) unless I’ll be expected to go several times
» for multiple treatments, because then it becomes much more expensive than
» domestic travel.
»
» From what I’ve seen of the pics posted here, the ones showing the best
» results are for guys who already have super thick hair and just need to
» get their hairline fixed up a little – otherwise they are not really
» thinning. For more extensive hairloss and thinning, the guys who have had
» several procedures seem to have the best results. Is it realistic for me
» to get significant density on the whole front portion of my head, with
» less recession and a lower hairline? Will the density at least match the
» back top portion of my head? Will it take multiple procedures to achieve
» this?
»
» I saw a discussion here about white dots. I’ve had some moles (dark
» freckles) removed that went from pink, to even skin tone, to eventually
» white dots over time. The moles were larger in size than an FU, so that
» might be a factor, but do I risk having white dots or a white hairline
» that contrasts with my rose/flesh colored forehead?
»
» In a lot of the pics posted, the patients are using gels or other hair
» products. Will the transplanted hair match the direction, tecture, and
» overall appearance of surrounding hair, or will I need to always use
» products so the transplanted hair “blends in”?
»
» I am at a point in my career where I’m becoming much more visible in my
» industry and have great leadership opportunities available to me. I also
» spend time with collegues in the outdoors and water sports, so topical
» coverup products are not convenient. It’s important that I get results
» that don’t look like surgery, and I want the option to wear my hair very
» short on occasion. I know I want a lot, but I cannot afford to look fake
» or foolish as a result of the procedure.
»
» I need a lot of advice, and thanks for any help you can give.
»
» gf

YOu are right Armani is a fav on most of the forums, not just this one. From what i can tell you he is a very good choice. I have three doctors that i would suggest and he is one of the top. I would suggest that you speak to some of his former patients. in terms of using products after, that to me is a waste of money and time. The point of a HT is to provide you with a normal look. It may be a thinner look but regardless.

I beg to differ…

From Armani’s photos his work looks amazing. He seems to specialize in hairline work only though and density. I’m not in need of either and leaning towards a couple of other FUE doctors.

» From Armani’s photos his work looks amazing. He seems to specialize in
» hairline work only though and density. I’m not in need of either and
» leaning towards a couple of other FUE doctors.

If your considering strip for the hairline then Dr. Armani is your man and his prices for strip are just the same as any of the other top clinics.