Traction alopecia 7 mth update (896 beard + 2254 scalp FUSE grafts)

Dear forum readers,
Patient is an Australia based person of Indian origin.
This patient was suffering from traction alopecia and went for 3150 FUSE grafts (2254 scalp grafts + 896 beard grafts).

Video available at Traction alopecia treatment with FUSE/fue on Vimeo

7 months after his transplant, the patient is happy with the results.

Beard donor area picture immediately after extraction of grafts

Pictures of the beard donor area 7 months after

Graft placement picture

Regards,
Dr. A

it looks very weird. What is traction alopecia?

Craig I believe traction alopecia is caused by an exsessive and constant tug/hard pulling of the hair in one direction. I would imagine that for religious reasons this gentleman probably wore a turban which requires the hair to be pulled up and tied in a knot causing tension throughout the years in one direction.

Dr Arvind I think you’ve done a remarkable job here. You didn’t go overboard gave the gentleman a decent look and a new life.

You mention in some of your procedures like you’ve done here, that body/beard hair was also used. However, to the public (us) the information is almost irrelivent without any further data provided. Please tell us where the beard/body hair was used. An immediate post-op of beard/body grafts placement would be very helpful. Then we can have a good idea of what the results look like of such fue’s used. Also telling us the success rate or the yield rate of the body/beard fue would be appreciated as well. Please don’t take this as a knock on your work as I think it’s a remarkable job. Just would like to see more info on the body/beard hairs used. To someone such as myself who is strongly considering body fue it would be very helpful.

Thanks.

» You mention in some of your procedures like you’ve done here, that
» body/beard hair was also used. However, to the public (us) the information
» is almost irrelivent without any further data provided. Please tell us
» where the beard/body hair was used.

Dear mj2003,
In the patient with beard + scalp grafts, only scalp grafts were transplanted in the first 4 rows. Thereafter, beard grafts were mixed with scalp grafts with the ratio going in favour of beard grafts as one goes further in.
Regards,
Dr. A

» it looks very weird. What is traction alopecia?

Traction alopecia is caused primarily by pulling force being applied to the hair, very common among people who wear braids, hair weaving or certain hair extension products.

222_file36.wmv

Thanks for posting the video, great work!