Topical oils

Has anyone had any success with using oils topically? If so which ones and how did you apply?
thanks

» Has anyone had any success with using oils topically? If so which ones and
» how did you apply?
» thanks

I have used a Rosemary oil topical and Emu oil; neither had any impact.

If you are going to try one you might want to look at Perilla as the Japanese have done a lot of research on this.

Copied from the archives.

Research & Studies:

At Auburn University, clinical studies showed that Emu Oil can be used as a transdermal carrier and is 20 times more effective at penetrating the stratum corneum, or “skin barrier,” than mineral oil.

At the Boston University Medical Center , Michael Holick and his research team confirmed numerous beneficial properties of Emu Oil, including the promotion and acceleration of skin cell regeneration and even the stimulation of hair growth.

In 1994, Dr. Alexander Zemstov conducted a “double blind” study on the properties of Emu Oil and he concluded the following properties of Emu oil: highly penetrating, emulsifier, bacteriostatic, low irritation potential, and non-comedogenic.

Composition of Emu Oil: The Micro View (1997)By: Dr. Leigh Hopkins, AEA Oil Standards Team (Research Leader). (Reprinted from AEA News, Spring 1997 issue).

SUMMARY: When compared with human skin oil, the fatty acid composition of emu oil is found to be quite similar. In both types of oil, mono-unsaturated oleic acid is the most prevalent fatty acid, followed by palmitic acid, then linoleic acid, which is an EFA (essential fatty acid). This similarity may be one of the factors enabling emu oil to have such a positive action on human skin.

More and more companies are now conducting research using Emu oil, eg: Delta West Pharmaceuticals, Orion Laboratories, and even the American Cancer Institute where Emu Oil is being studied for its effects on the immune system and tumor biology at the cellular level.

Fatty Acid Analysis of Emu Oil. (AEA funded study, 1994)
By: Dr. Paul Smith, Dr. Margaret Craig-Schmidt, Amanda Brown at Auburn University. (Reprinted from AEA News, September 1994 Issue).

SUMMARY: Analysis of fatty acids in emu oil reveals that it contains approximately 70 % unsaturated fatty acids. The major fatty acid found in emu oil is oleic acid, which is mono- unsaturated and which comprises over 40 % of the total fatty acid content. Emu oil also contains both of the two essential fatty acids (EFA’s) which are important to human health: 20 % linoleic, and 1 - 2 % alpha-linolenic acid.

Emu Oil: Comedogenicity Testing. (Study done for E.R.I., 1993)
By: Department of Dermatology, at University of Texas Medical School, Houston.

SUMMARY: Testing using the rabbit ear histological assay, with emu oil in concentrations of 25 %, 75 % and 100 % shows that emu oil in concentrations of up to 100 % is non-comedogenic, i.e. it does not clog the pores of the skin.

Moisturizing and Cosmetic Properties of Emu Oil: A Double Blind Study (1994).
By: Dr. Alexander Zemtsov, Indiana University School of Medicine: Dr. Monica Gaddis, Ball Memorial Hospital; and Dr. Victor Montalvo-Lugo, Ball Memorial Hospital. (Reprinted from AEA News, October/November 1994 issue)

SUMMARY: Eleven human subjects took part in a double-blind clinical study which compared emu oil with mineral oil in texture, skin permeability and moisturizing properties, as well as comedogenicity and irritability to the skin. No irritation to the skin was observed with either oil. However, comedogenicity of emu oil was significantly lower than that of mineral oil, and all subjects stated a unanimous preference for emu oil.

Experimental Study to Determine the Anti-Arthritic Activity of a New Emu Oil Formulation (EMMP) (1993)
By: Dr. Peter Ghosh at Royal North Shore Hospital of Sydney, Australia and Dr. Michael Whitehouse at University of Adelaide, Australia.

SUMMARY: A combination of emu oil with a suitable transdermal transporter is found to show anti-inflammatory (anti-rheumatic) activity in various rat models.

Research conducted at the Occupational Dermatology Laboratory of the University of Texas Medical School at Houston concluded that emu oil consists mostly of oleic acid, a mono-unsaturated fatty acid. The oil is highly penetrating and won’t clog pores. It can help people whose skin is parched, cracked and has lost its smooth, healthy look. Beauty professionals across the country are touting the benefits of emu oil. Found in numerous cosmetics, soaps and shampoos, it has been reported that the oil also thickens aged, mature skin, making it appear younger. One study reported that 100 percent emu oil rubbed into the skin twice daily would thicken the skin by 14 percent.

Patent

Patent # United States Patent: 6,733,751
"The general “anti-aging” properties of Emu Oil was examined at the Boston University School of Medicine.

In this double-blind study, a refined Emu Oil known as Kalaya (New World Technology; Los Angeles, Calif.) was topically-administered daily to depilated mice, over a two-week time-period. Corn oil was utilized as the negative control substance. Results demonstrated that the refined Emu Oil produced a 20% increase in the overall rate of DNA synthesis within the skin cells of these animals, whereas the rate of DNA synthesis within the negative control animals remained normal. A marked increase in the overall thickness of the skin, to which the Emu Oil had been applied, was also found. In addition, over 80% of hair follicles which were quiescent at the time of the initiation of the study, were stimulated by the application of the Emu Oil and began to produce a viable hair shaft. Typically, hair follicles go through stages from a quiescent phase, to an active hair-growth phase, and back to the quiescent phase again. The administration of Emu Oil was found to not only stimulate the hair follicles into the active phase, but it kept them in this phase during the entire period of administration, as
well."

interesting thanks Hairsite

great thanks for the info… does anyone know of a good supplier of emu oil?

I get mine from Songline Emu Farm

blueshard,does emu oil work for you? Is it worth trying?

» blueshard,does emu oil work for you? Is it worth trying?

Umm I am not sure… I don’t use it everyday… just when I know that I am going to be in for the night. It is one of those things where it “can’t hurt” and “might be beneficial”. I have a tremendously sensitive scalp and this is the only topical that hasn’t caused me damage yet.

Emu oil is not a stand alone treatment… it is an adjunct.

Thanks for posting this about the emu oil. I have sold quite a bit of it to those that suffer from hair loss. Emu Oil seems to help the frontal loss the most from what they are coming back to tell me. Plus they are happy about all the other uses for it. I use it myself everyday for a number of things like to keep my husbands back clear from breakouts and to keep my nails nice and healthy. Also I put it on my hair to keep my scalp alive, vibrant and to keep my hair growing at a healthy rate. If anyone would like to try it you can go to http://www.MotherEarthNaturalsOnline.com and you will find the 100% Emu Oil there. Have a great day and I would love to hear your stories of how it helped you. As I am sure others would love to hear it on this forum.

cvarr

» Has anyone had any success with using oils topically? If so which ones and
» how did you apply?
» thanks

Essential Oil Blend in the scottish Alopecia Study contains plant extracts that should help the health of your scalp.

Regards
Pete