Topical Avodart for excess oil

Here is the background. I do not suffer from hairloss, but acne. It is not severe by any means, just resistant to all other forms of treatment. The only thing that has worked 100% in the past is Accutane. I believe that in my case, Accutane was the only drug to effectively control excess sebum. After spending a decent amount of time researching this problem, I came to the conclusion that the best way to treat this would be some sort of topical antiandrogen or 5ar inhibitor. Currently, there are no prescription medicines which address acne in this method. Oral antiandrogens are very effective such as spiro or birth control, but obviously come with tons of side effects and no man should ever take these medications orally. I spoke with my dermatologists about the matter, and he agreed that this would be a logical method of attacking acne. I first looked at ru54881 which ideally would be the best substance out there, since it binds to the AR receptor and isn’t meant to be absorbed systemically. But after I figured out how difficult it is to obtain, its questionable purity and its storage stability, I realized that this wouldn’t be a practical substance to test. And if it did work, it would be a pain to keep treatment going long term for reasons mentioned above. Then I came across avodart. As you all know, avodart is a potent dht inhibitor which target both 1 and 2 isozymes. People have also reported success with a topical preparation for treating hairloss. Dutasteride has the ability for penetrating the skin, which makes it a perfect drug to test for excess sebum caused by too much dht (presumably) in the skin. Some people have claimed to have reduced oil when the medication was taken orally, and a few people have mentioned that spreading the oil topically has worked as well. I would like to put this idea to the test.

One problem with putting the avodart oil straight on the face is if it does work there is probably a good amount of the drug being absorbed systemically. I propose making a dilute solution in order to reduce systemic absoprtion. It would consist of dutasteride, alcohol, water and propylene glycol as a carrier solution. I would try to formulate it in a similar manner to the one used for ru54881. However, if anyone has any input on making an effective carrier I am interested in your opinion. Since this would be mostly applied to the face, I would try to use as little alcohol as possible. Just enough to thoroughly dissolve the contents of the avodart.Then add water to dilute it to the test concentration and enough ppg just to get a light, gel consistency. I haven’t figured out the exact measurements of the first trial yet. I was thinking maybe 2 avodart pills in a 50 ml solution. I would estimate that I would be applying about 2 ml of solution a day so this should last me about a month. If successful, I would continue to tweak the solution so I could figure out what would be the lowest effective dosage. I would like anyone’s feedback on this proposed experiment. Recommendations and criticisms are welcome.

After doing some more reading, I always though propylene glycol was a gel. Guess not. Much like the hair solution, I would probably add aloe vera gel in order to get the proper consistancy in conjunction with chemicals mentioned previously.

On a personal note, I’ve noticed an increase in sebum production on my scalp as my hairloss has increased, and it’s worse when the weather heats up. What I’ve found effective at combating this is good 'ol fashioned benzoyl peroxide (eg., clearasil). Haven’t used it since my early to mid-twenties, and never used it on my scalp before, but I’ve been buzzing my hair with clippers (set to zero) approx. 2-3 times a week for the past three years now, which makes it easy for me to apply to my scalp. I find that when applying after hydrating my scalp, a small dab goes a long way toward effectively reducing sebum build-up and the oily shine on my bald pate. This makes me a lot less self-concious about any prospective hotties rubbing my bald head.

Hope this helps.

I’m already using a benzoyl peroxide product. Of the million things Ive tried both over the counter and Rx, it helps the most. But it is still not enough for me.

» On a personal note, I’ve noticed an increase in sebum production on my
» scalp as my hairloss has increased, and it’s worse when the weather heats
» up. What I’ve found effective at combating this is good 'ol fashioned
» benzoyl peroxide (eg., clearasil). Haven’t used it since my early to
» mid-twenties, and never used it on my scalp before, but I’ve been buzzing
» my hair with clippers (set to zero) approx. 2-3 times a week for the past
» three years now, which makes it easy for me to apply to my scalp. I find
» that when applying after hydrating my scalp, a small dab goes a long way
» toward effectively reducing sebum build-up and the oily shine on my bald
» pate. This makes me a lot less self-concious about any prospective
» hotties rubbing my bald head.
»
» Hope this helps.

» Here is the background. I do not suffer from hairloss, but acne. It is not
» severe by any means, just resistant to all other forms of treatment. The
» only thing that has worked 100% in the past is Accutane. I believe that in
» my case, Accutane was the only drug to effectively control excess sebum.
» After spending a decent amount of time researching this problem, I came to
» the conclusion that the best way to treat this would be some sort of
» topical antiandrogen or 5ar inhibitor. Currently, there are no
» prescription medicines which address acne in this method. Oral
» antiandrogens are very effective such as spiro or birth control, but
» obviously come with tons of side effects and no man should ever take these
» medications orally. I spoke with my dermatologists about the matter, and he
» agreed that this would be a logical method of attacking acne. I first
» looked at ru54881 which ideally would be the best substance out there,
» since it binds to the AR receptor and isn’t meant to be absorbed
» systemically. But after I figured out how difficult it is to obtain, its
» questionable purity and its storage stability, I realized that this
» wouldn’t be a practical substance to test. And if it did work, it would be
» a pain to keep treatment going long term for reasons mentioned above. Then
» I came across avodart. As you all know, avodart is a potent dht inhibitor
» which target both 1 and 2 isozymes. People have also reported success with
» a topical preparation for treating hairloss. Dutasteride has the ability
» for penetrating the skin, which makes it a perfect drug to test for excess
» sebum caused by too much dht (presumably) in the skin. Some people have
» claimed to have reduced oil when the medication was taken orally, and a
» few people have mentioned that spreading the oil topically has worked as
» well. I would like to put this idea to the test.
» One problem with putting the avodart oil straight on the face is if it
» does work there is probably a good amount of the drug being absorbed
» systemically. I propose making a dilute solution in order to reduce
» systemic absoprtion. It would consist of dutasteride, alcohol, water and
» propylene glycol as a carrier solution. I would try to formulate it in a
» similar manner to the one used for ru54881. However, if anyone has any
» input on making an effective carrier I am interested in your opinion.
» Since this would be mostly applied to the face, I would try to use as
» little alcohol as possible. Just enough to thoroughly dissolve the
» contents of the avodart.Then add water to dilute it to the test
» concentration and enough ppg just to get a light, gel consistency. I
» haven’t figured out the exact measurements of the first trial yet. I was
» thinking maybe 2 avodart pills in a 50 ml solution. I would estimate that
» I would be applying about 2 ml of solution a day so this should last me
» about a month. If successful, I would continue to tweak the solution so I
» could figure out what would be the lowest effective dosage. I would like
» anyone’s feedback on this proposed experiment. Recommendations and
» criticisms are welcome.

Try a few simeple things and your situation should resolve itself:

1. Take Pantothenic acid daily
  2. Emulsify your dietary fats
  3. Use anti inflammation cream

Regards
Pete

» Try a few simeple things and your situation should resolve itself:
»
»
» 1) Take Pantothenic acid daily
» 2) Emulsify your dietary fats
» 3) Use anti inflammation cream
»
»
»
» Regards
» Pete

I wish it was that simple. I am aware of b5 for treating oil,but I see it the same as Accutane, a quick fix. No one really knows how it works, plus taking 20 pills a day is kind of sick. Is it safe? I know people have problems with their hair falling out. I tried taking a few pills of it just to try, and it made me sick (and this was with food). I don’t know how #2 would help at all. I eat very healthy, and exercise almost every day. I get plenty of omega 3’s, don’t drink milk. I eat goat yogurt for the probiotics and eat plenty of protein fruits and veggies. For #3, I still use a benzoyl peroxide cream and have seen the most results with this. It helps somewhat with the oil and keeps me clearer than if I stopped using it. I have dabbled in every topical including niacinamide, zinc, antibiotics and retinoids. I’ve even tried Clearogen, from the makers of Revivogen. It works in the same way in that it promises to inhibit dht with fatty acids, saw palmetto and green tea extracts. I used it for two months with no results. MY guess is those ingredients are not potent enough, or ineffective topically.If topical avodart fails, I may or may not experiment with ru54881 or more likely just go back on accutane. Accutane works well, but the side effects suck, plus I know for a fact that it will only buy me time, maybe a year before the problem comes back.

» » Try a few simeple things and your situation should resolve itself:
» »
» »
» » 1) Take Pantothenic acid daily
» » 2) Emulsify your dietary fats
» » 3) Use anti inflammation cream
» »
» »
» »
» » Regards
» » Pete
»
» I wish it was that simple. I am aware of b5 for treating oil,but I see it
» the same as Accutane, a quick fix.

The two are very different.

No one really knows how it works, plus
» taking 20 pills a day is kind of sick. Is it safe? I know people have
» problems with their hair falling out.

There is no need to take megadoses.

I tried taking a few pills of it
» just to try, and it made me sick (and this was with food). I don’t know
» how #2 would help at all. I eat very healthy, and exercise almost every
» day. I get plenty of omega 3’s, don’t drink milk. I eat goat yogurt for
» the probiotics and eat plenty of protein fruits and veggies. For #3, I
» still use a benzoyl peroxide cream and have seen the most results with
» this. It helps somewhat with the oil and keeps me clearer than if I
» stopped using it.

When you emulsify your fats you are helping your liver deal with fats.

I have dabbled in every topical including niacinamide,
» zinc, antibiotics and retinoids. I’ve even tried Clearogen, from the
» makers of Revivogen. It works in the same way in that it promises to
» inhibit dht with fatty acids, saw palmetto and green tea extracts. I used
» it for two months with no results. MY guess is those ingredients are not
» potent enough, or ineffective topically.If topical avodart fails, I may or
» may not experiment with ru54881 or more likely just go back on accutane.
» Accutane works well, but the side effects suck, plus I know for a fact
» that it will only buy me time, maybe a year before the problem comes back.

Topical Niacinamide should be good.

Regards
Pete

Ok, let me be more specific then. I took a 4 grams of b5 for a few weeks. Didn’t do anything for my oil and got me sick. I have taken thing like milk thistle and other herbs to “help my liver”. My liver is in fine shape and I doubt emulsifying my fats would either do anything, or be practical to rely on. I would I have to lecithin at every meal? All those topicals I have listed I have tried for at least 4 weeks intervals, if not longer. All with little to no effect on oil. Some helped acne a bit, by my underlying condition is the oil, and taking care of that will take care of any remaining acne I have left. All I can say, is when it comes to acne I have been there and done that. If something resolved the problem I wouldn’t be posting here about off label avodart.

» Ok, let me be more specific then. I took a 4 grams of b5 for a few weeks.
» Didn’t do anything for my oil and got me sick. I have taken thing like
» milk thistle and other herbs to “help my liver”. My liver is in fine shape
» and I doubt emulsifying my fats would either do anything, or be practical
» to rely on. I would I have to lecithin at every meal? All those topicals I
» have listed I have tried for at least 4 weeks intervals, if not longer. All
» with little to no effect on oil. Some helped acne a bit, by my underlying
» condition is the oil, and taking care of that will take care of any
» remaining acne I have left. All I can say, is when it comes to acne I have
» been there and done that. If something resolved the problem I wouldn’t be
» posting here about off label avodart.

Sometimes your oiliness can be connected to other heakth issues - so that can be a clue to how to approach your condition. Are there any other variables ?

Regards
Pete

Nope, in my case I’m pretty sure its genetic. I think certain people are just more sensitive to normal levels of hormones. Just like some people are prone to baldness even if they have normal testosterone/dht levels. My diet and health are great, fit as a fiddle. No chronic diseases, the only pills I take currently are a multivitamin and some flax oil every day. My skin has been oily for as far back as I can remember. I’ve tried going without milk and without bread for weeks to see if it was a food sensitivity. No changes. Like I said, I have tried everything, and I mean everything.

» Nope, in my case I’m pretty sure its genetic. I think certain people are
» just more sensitive to normal levels of hormones. Just like some people
» are prone to baldness even if they have normal testosterone/dht levels. My
» diet and health are great, fit as a fiddle. No chronic diseases, the only
» pills I take currently are a multivitamin and some flax oil every day. My
» skin has been oily for as far back as I can remember. I’ve tried going
» without milk and without bread for weeks to see if it was a food
» sensitivity. No changes. Like I said, I have tried everything, and I mean
» everything.

The only other thing that I would mention is that you could take Zinc - take it at 15 mgs for one week - then double up on the 2nd week and then take 3 x in the 3rd week and then reduce to a maintenance level in the 4 th week.

Regards
Pete

tried zinc too. Was on prescription nicomide for 3 months. Thats a RX niacinamide + zinc supplement

» tried zinc too. Was on prescription nicomide for 3 months. Thats a RX
» niacinamide + zinc supplement

Im not sure what else to suggest - there is an imbalance going on and the body is producing this excess oil for a reason - once you know what it is you can reverse it!

Regards
Pete

As I mentioned I used it topically and it did a very good job at reducing oiliness. Personally, I doubt that so much would be absorbed systemically; certainly it would be a fair bit less compared with taking it orally although I have no proof. Actually maybe I do. When I used it on the right side of my face, only that side was dryer after a couple of days whereas the left side was oily so it could not have taken much of a systemic route. For you info, I also found that it dissolved in minox solution without PEG (60% ethanol) although i was surprised since it is pretty hydrophobic. If I were you I would break a capsule on some tissue and wipe it across your face.

While I certainly believe that many people can be treated holistically when it comes to many problems including acne. But I know in my case, there is nothing causing my “imbalance” or nothing I’m going to change. My diet and lifestyle are healthy. I’m not going to stress worrying that every food or activity might break me out. Sometimes, genetics just gives some people a bad hand. It is up to us to figure out how to deal with it.

» While I certainly believe that many people can be treated holistically when
» it comes to many problems including acne. But I know in my case, there is
» nothing causing my “imbalance” or nothing I’m going to change. My diet and
» lifestyle are healthy. I’m not going to stress worrying that every food or
» activity might break me out. Sometimes, genetics just gives some people a
» bad hand. It is up to us to figure out how to deal with it.

Have a look around for a mild cream that contains Piroctone Olamine to bring things into BALANCE.

Regards
Pete

Send me an email when you see this message.

» As I mentioned I used it topically and it did a very good job at reducing
» oiliness. Personally, I doubt that so much would be absorbed systemically;
» certainly it would be a fair bit less compared with taking it orally
» although I have no proof. Actually maybe I do. When I used it on the right
» side of my face, only that side was dryer after a couple of days whereas
» the left side was oily so it could not have taken much of a systemic
» route. For you info, I also found that it dissolved in minox solution
» without PEG (60% ethanol) although i was surprised since it is pretty
» hydrophobic. If I were you I would break a capsule on some tissue and wipe
» it across your face.

Hello Marco,
I am actually taking avodart orally right now for hair loss and oiliness. It was not prescribed for oiliness but I am hoping it works. I actually did try it topically for 5 or 6 days. I stopped because it did not seem to work. I was wondering how long you used topical avodart before any noticeable difference and what special mixture you used with the avodart, if any (I just broke the pill open).