The perils of wrongly done FUE

Dear forum readers,
A wrongly performed Hair transplant is a sad thing to see.

Unfortunately, wrongly performed hair transplants are too common.
Today, Dr. Ruby and Dr. Sangay were performing a repair FUHT for a patient who had undergone a so called fue surgery at some other clinic in Oct 2006.

What they saw and recorded in the course of the surgery makes me feel that no amount of warning is enough.

Many doctors decide that hair transplants is an easy thing and does not require dedicated long term training.

This situation is further aggravated by the fact that many people go through procedures based solely on irrelevant criteria (look of the hospital, age of the doctor, lasers, bells and whistles).

As a result, for every 1 HT performed correctly on any particular day in the world, there are 100 wrongly performed HTs.

Understand this well. Hair transplants are not taught in any speciality, in any medical college or school.

If that were the case, people could have been going for their HT to the big medical colleges.

With the increasing popularity of fue, some prospective patients let their guard low (no sutures/staples etc.).

But please remember, without adequate & extensive training, the clinic newly embracing fue, can wreck equal, if not more damage, than they could with strip.

I shall post pictures and video in the next reply.

Please note that the pictures are very vivid and may require due viewer discretion.

Regards,
Dr. A

The doctor who did the patient’s first HT, does not, in my opinion, know how to do fue.
But, he decided, for whatever reasons, that he is suitably competent to offer it.

It must have gone like this -
He pumps in anesthetic into the donor. Takes a punch and starts coring out the grafts.

Some of them slip below the surface.
At the end of the surgery, he puts the bandage.
In a few days, the donor area scalp skin heals with the live follicular unit groupings, buried below it.

In the months that follow, the patient feels some pea sized swellings below the scalp, but is not too worried.

An year later, the patient goes to another doctor for strip FUHT. When the strip is excised the submerged grafts are revealed.

The video shows what our doctors saw when they took out the strip.

The follicular unit groupings (skin and hair follicle both), were getting encapsulated, while at the same time, the hair was growing below the skin.

12_file20.wmv

Pictures of the front when the patient came to us.

Picture of the donor area before our doctors extracted the strip.

While extracting the strip, they found the follicular unit grouping (outlined in the blue square).

On further examination, these had hair that had grown to 1 to 2 inches in length.

They were excised.

Some were also found on the lower surface of the strip.

These were separated from the strip.

Following is a picture of two of them. They consist of a jumble of live hair, skin and its dead derivatives, alongwith the granulation tissue formed as a result of the body’s protective instinct to encapsulate them.

Dear forum readers and fellow HT doctors,
I request your advise and opinion.

What is it worth being a good HT doctor, if the majority produce disagreeably subpar work.

Other specialities too evolved. There was a time when there was no branch called Opthalmology.
Yet it emerged.

Today, people can find an Opthalmologist in every town. One with the requisite training and basic level of care.

But, there are a pitifully small number of hair transplant doctors. Earlier, it was because hairtransplant was just not good enough (plugs etc.).
But now, there is a good enough science/product/service.

I think its time the field of hair transplant come into its own.
Your suggestions and advise is welcome.

Regards,
Dr. A

I have seen similar results reported by you before. These particular results demonstrate very clearly the potential proximity between FUE and punch / dolls hair grafting. So FUE can be a step forward or a big retrograde step.

Regarding your other comments, my own experience is leading me to think you are missing a large chunk of your own observations. This is not an issue with HT docs. This is an issue with the the thatcherite bushian capitalist society that has matured over the last few decades. I am not making a partisan point or deviating from the subject. Greed and injustice have always been here, it is just that it has developed such a smooth face recently. In Europe USA and more recently Asia capitalist greed has become a fine art and acceptable. In Law medicine energy supply banking and politics it is fair game to make more and use presentation as a valid vehicle for deception… On the other hand there is the power of dissemination of information and self education using the Internet as an opposing force.

Let the battle begin!!!

(I guess it’s just been one of those days :slight_smile: )

opinions and suggestions…well…fix him for free since you are so moved to the point to post this case in here :slight_smile: other than that your request is meaningless and serves no purpose.

What do you want us to suggest exactly? a surgery plan? LOL… we are clients not doctors.You want an opinion?..obviously his doctor sucks and the result is horrible…ok? lets move on now :slight_smile:

Fix him and then show us the result that would be more meaningfull!

What Dr. A posted is useful because it drives the point home that anyone looking to have HT work done needs to proceed with great caution. Most of us who post know that, but this forum gets a lot of new people who don’t post and know very little about the perils of the HT industry.

On another subject, the issue came up in another forum related to the short supply of BHT results images from all doctors. People need to be aware that nearly all hair transplant doctors use only scalp hair and only a very small percentage of these patients will show their results online. BHT percentages are most likely about the same but from a much smaller patient pool.

Several months ago I was at Dr. Cole’s and met a patient who had a good bit of BHT to his crown and hairline. he looked great but was reluctant to post results because he didn’t care for the forum attitudes.

My final thoughts are, if you want to see more results and improve the quality of forums, try to be a little more respectful.

Please, post the previous “doctors” name so the butcher is revealed to all who may be considering him/her. The hand wringing does little. Posting the
quacks name is we need to know, then we can all stay away. That simple.

» What Dr. A posted is useful because it drives the point home that anyone
» looking to have HT work done needs to proceed with great caution. Most of
» us who post know that, but this forum gets a lot of new people who don’t
» post and know very little about the perils of the HT industry.
»
» On another subject, the issue came up in another forum related to the
» short supply of BHT results images from all doctors. People need to be
» aware that nearly all hair transplant doctors use only scalp hair and only
» a very small percentage of these patients will show their results online.
» BHT percentages are most likely about the same but from a much smaller
» patient pool.
»
» Several months ago I was at Dr. Cole’s and met a patient who had a good
» bit of BHT to his crown and hairline. he looked great but was reluctant to
» post results because he didn’t care for the forum attitudes.
»
» My final thoughts are, if you want to see more results and improve the
» quality of forums, try to be a little more respectful.

you are talking to a disrpespectful imbecile, ie the greek
dont ask for miracles’
he only works with what little brain god gave him

It looks more like plug work to me. And I also have seen the “growths” where the hair grows under the skin in a cricle… It is very irritating to the patient also.

» you are talking to a disrpespectful imbecile, ie the greek
» dont ask for miracles’
» he only works with what little brain god gave him

Hi monkey :slight_smile: LOL

Are the pea-sized bumps felt underneath my RECIPIENT area granuales of encapsulated hair that is just growing underneath my skin like these pics above!!! holy god! this freaks me out and pisses me off if this is the explanation for the elevated bumps in my recipient area.

Dr. A, didn’t you post something like this before or that was totally different? Can you OUT the doctor ? I am dying to know who did this.

those pics remind me of the old so called “punch method” which resulted in the shotgun-like scars, the recipient area looks bumpy and reminds me of my first HT when a sort of dentist´s driller was used to make my recipient sites, which of course resulted in recipient scaring, too
surely, the design of the hairline is unnatural as it´s way too round

» » you are talking to a disrpespectful imbecile, ie the greek
» » dont ask for miracles’
» » he only works with what little brain god gave him
»
» Hi monkey :slight_smile: LOL

gama stavros sou:-D :smiley:

» Are the pea-sized bumps felt underneath my RECIPIENT area granuales of
» encapsulated hair that is just growing underneath my skin like these pics
» above!!! holy god! this freaks me out and pisses me off if this is the
» explanation for the elevated bumps in my recipient area.

Can you post a pic of the bumps in your head? This is so gross but i still wanna see it.