The Natural Route

From a post by “perry:”

"Maybe I spelled it wrong. Limbido/libido…whatever. I’ve seen it spelled both ways.

No I am serious. I’m not the only one who had negative side effects on DHT blockers either. I started taking supplements like pygeum, nettle, beta sisterol, saw palmetto. I tried low doses and I tried lower doses. I omitted beta sis. I still had side effects. I tried them for up to a month, until I could take the fatigue anymore. I tried eating natural souces of DHT blockers like peanuts. Eventually I had the same side effects. DHT blockers just don’t work well with my body. I’m sensitive to powerful supplements so I’m not blaming it all on DHT blockers. If they work well for other people, great, but they’re not something I care to use internally."

From a post by “orrible:”

"I followed hangins regime after spending time on this forum in early 2005 and reading how naturals didnt give you side effects etc. I took beta sisterol, saw palmetoo & green tea extract in combination. After only 2 weeks i had developed gyne. I stopped the hairloss tabs and took anti estrogens but it didnt resolve. In the end i had surgery. I just thought i would post as i havent visited this forum in awhile and i would have appreciated learning about this before my disaster with naturals.

My link is below. If anybody takes the time to read through it you may see me refered to as stonecold. That was my old username on that forum, but i modified it to orrible to correspond with my hairloss forum username.

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php/topic,3770.0.html"

There are those at regrowth that had an experience similar to Perry’s, including lost of short-term memory. And one of the most respected posters at that forum, ImmortalHair, dropped beta sitosterol from his regimen.

That’s not the only thing he’s dropped…or should I say others.

Is there a real need to take hair vitamin & mineral supplements, given the foods and superfoods, like Spirulina and Chlorella, available to meet our body’s daily needs?

I have used hair vitamins in the past, primarily because, at the time, it just made me feel good to do so. I don’t know how much they did for my hair though. Perhaps, initially I saw some improvement, but these vitamins lost their effectiveness over time.

there are going to be people who react to almost anything, some people are sensitive to light and cant go outside, all our bodies are different

I once took DHEA or something like that, supposed to be a hormone for anti aging or something, damn had tingling in my joints and muscles, buring pain, stopped it, it went away

we all have to experiement

» From a post by “perry:”
»
» “Maybe I spelled it wrong. Limbido/libido…whatever. I’ve seen it spelled
» both ways.
»
» No I am serious. I’m not the only one who had negative side effects on DHT
» blockers either. I started taking supplements like pygeum, nettle, beta
» sisterol, saw palmetto. I tried low doses and I tried lower doses. I
» omitted beta sis. I still had side effects. I tried them for up to a
» month, until I could take the fatigue anymore. I tried eating natural
» souces of DHT blockers like peanuts. Eventually I had the same side
» effects. DHT blockers just don’t work well with my body. I’m sensitive to
» powerful supplements so I’m not blaming it all on DHT blockers. If they
» work well for other people, great, but they’re not something I care to use
» internally.”
»
» From a post by “orrible:”
»
» “I followed hangins regime after spending time on this forum in early 2005
» and reading how naturals didnt give you side effects etc. I took beta
» sisterol, saw palmetoo & green tea extract in combination. After only 2
» weeks i had developed gyne. I stopped the hairloss tabs and took anti
» estrogens but it didnt resolve. In the end i had surgery. I just thought i
» would post as i havent visited this forum in awhile and i would have
» appreciated learning about this before my disaster with naturals.
»
» My link is below. If anybody takes the time to read through it you may see
» me refered to as stonecold. That was my old username on that forum, but i
» modified it to orrible to correspond with my hairloss forum username.
»
» http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php/topic,3770.0.html
»
»
» There are those at regrowth that had an experience similar to Perry’s,
» including lost of short-term memory. And one of the most respected
» posters at that forum, ImmortalHair, dropped beta sitosterol from his
» regimen.

Wow, this looks like good stuff! Protein, vitamins, minerals…damn! Contains GLA? Are you getting your GLA from this instead of borage/evening primrose?

I’m currently taking Grape Seed Extract. Where can I get Apple Peel Extract (cheap)? I get the GSE from Walmart for like 4 bucks. Can I just increase the dosage of GSE to get the same effect as APE? Anyone?

» Wow, this looks like good stuff! Protein, vitamins, minerals…damn!
» Contains GLA? Are you getting your GLA from this instead of
» borage/evening primrose?

I am not necessarily getting GLA from this however. I maybe getting lots of good EPA since fish consume algae and convert it to EPA. This philosphy is called “eating lower on the food chain”.

The other thing that you should try is to completely avoid sugar and sweetened products in all forms. This may be difficult but once you get started you won’t miss it much. This means eating NOTHIING with sugar in it including sodas, candy, sweetened ice tea, cookies, cakes, teriaki, and any high fructose corn syrup. The general rule is: if it tastes sweet, don’t eat it.

Hogan

From MPB Research Organization:

"TGF-BETA, The Hair Follicle Assassin

Aptly termed the “hair follicle assassin” in a recent update by New Health and Longevity, transforming growth factor beta 1, (tgf-b one) and its apparently pivotal role in hair loss has been stimulating a lot of interest in the scientific community of late.

What is tgf-b1???

Tgf-b 1 is part of a cytokine super-family in mammals that contains some 30 members. These dimeric proteins regulate the proliferation and apoptosis (destruction) in many cell types and have a central role in the inflammation that is associated with hair follicle miniaturization, fibrosis (rigidification), and its eventual loss.

Numerous researchers have directly implicated tgf-b1, and its localized effects on the hair follicles as the most significant factor in androgenetic alopecia. So what can we do to neutralize tgf-b1 before it turns us into Kojak??? Several things actually.

There are several natural compounds that are commonplace in diets of several cultures, which have a statistically low incidence of male pattern baldness. Following is an excerpt from New Science which gives a succinct overview on Curcumin, a yellow spice widely used in Indian cuisine:

Besides apples and barley procyanidins, the most promising new agent is a spice found in Indian food and mustard. Polyphenols from yellow curry root (a.k.a. turmeric, curcumin) are yet another “unknown” hair loss treatment.

Take a look at these comments from researchers studying turmeric/curcumin and TGF-ß:

2000 “Our results showed that genistein and curcumin… inhibited the TGF-beta 1-induced synthesis of fibronectin.” 2002 “Curcumin inhibits the expression of ER downstream genes including… TGF-beta.” 2003 “Furthermore, curcumin inhibited the increases in… TGF-beta1 expression…” 2004 “When applied 30 minutes before TGF-beta, curcumin dose dependently and dramatically reduced TGF-beta-induced increases…” 2006 “curcumin significantly decreased mRNA expression of… the fibrogenic cytokine, TGF-beta.”

I’ll briefly review several of our existing hair loss treatment protocol recommendations which inhibit tgf-b1, which at least in part, explain the positive feedback we consistently get as to its fast acting effects.

L-Taurine

L-Taurine is a dirt cheap free form amino acid, and is widely available anywhere in the U.S. It has been studied and patented (in combination with, catechins, resveratrol, and omega 3 fatty acids) as an oral hair loss treatment in Europe by the French cosmetic giant, L’Oreal. Don’t let the modest cost fool you. Oral L-Taurine is a highly effective way to suppress tgf-b and prevent fibrosis, not only in hair follicles, but body wide. If you are not using L-Taurine in your hair loss treatment protocol, then you are leaving one of the best weapons in the battle against hair loss in your holster. 1-2 grams a day is consistent with the amount covered in their patent.

Green Tea Extract

We have recommended Green Tea Extract for many years and for a number of reasons for helping to prevent and treat hair loss. In addition to its ability to regulate androgen activity, and increase Sex Hormone Binding Globulin, (SHBG, levels of which are inversely correlated with hair loss), it is also a potent tgf-b1 inhibitor.

Ginkgo Biloba Extract

Recommended by nutrition author Gary Null as part of a natural hair loss treatment approach, Ginkgo Biloba Extract has been shown to grow hair in rats when orally administered. Studies have shown it to be an inhibitor of tgf-b1.

Other tgf-b1 inhibitors include proanthocyanindins from cocoa, black tea, grape seeds, barley and apples. Green drinks, including barley powder form the cornerstone of Dr. Null’s health promoting hair loss treatment approach. One company has an apple polyphenol compound for topical application, and some seemingly solid data to back it up.

Topically, our protocol addresses inflammation and tgf-b1 in a simultaneous three pronged approach- copper peptides (one ingredient in Dr. Proctors Advanced Hair Regrowth Formula), Ketoconazole (Nizoral Shampoo), and Emu Oil.

Due to the preponderance of data demonstrating curcumin’s ability to inhibit tgf-b1, it will be integrated in our hair loss treatment protocol at a minimal dose of 900 mg , combined with Bioperine (a component of black pepper) to facilitate absorption. To be effectively assimilated into the bloodstream, curcumin must be combined with small amounts of piperine.

Our answer as to which to use is simple-use them all (they are so easily integrated into your diet) or at least 2-3, combined with at least a gram of L-Taurine. The inflammation that is the primary contributor to hair loss will be neutralized, and denser , faster hair growth, as will better health, athletic performance, and cognitive function, ensue."

bump

bump