The Natural Route

There are a variety of ways to combat hair loss, and increase one’s chances of maintaining and regrowing his hair. Here is a comprehensive approach via internals:

1. Inhibiting DHT-influenced TGF-beta
    a. curcumin
    b. apple peel extract
    c. cocoa bean extract
    d. barley

2. Inhibiting inflammation-influenced TNF-alpha
    a. Essential Fatty Acids
    i. fish oil (EPA/DHA)
    ii. borage oil (GLA)
    iii. green tea (also inhibits DHT, lowers cholesterol, etc.)
    b. digestive enzymes

3. Glucose control (e.g. insulin resistance, type II diabetes)
    a. chromium
    b. pycnogenol

Admittedly, this list may be considered incomplete. But I feel these supplements could serve as a foundation on which to build upon further. Feel free to do so:-D .

How many have good results using these products? Do we take them orally like vitamins or we apply topically to our head?

» How many have good results using these products? Do we take them orally
» like vitamins or we apply topically to our head?

I am the one that has been promoting taking Borage and Fish oil within the last year. These are internals that you take. I have been taking 1g of Borage and 1g of Norwegian Salmon Oil.

Thanks,

Hogan

My hair and scalp have responded well to some of the supplements on this list.

From my experience, I have learned that when creating a regimen for yourself, you should start slow, with a few supplements (for example, one from each category); assess the way your body reacts to them, and then the way your hair responds to them. In this order.

I am merely providing information that I learned through research and that which I acquired from other posters here.

What’s so unusual about Borage oil? If you read this, borage oil is just another product like Propecia, it blocks 5 alpha reductase.

“Inhibition of steroid 5 alpha-reductase by specific aliphatic unsaturated fatty acids”

Biochem J 1992 Jul 15;285 ( Pt 2):557-62

Liang T, Liao S. ( Ben May Institute, University of Chicago, IL 60637.)

Human or rat microsomal 5 alpha-reductase activity, as measured by enzymic conversion of testosterone into 5 alpha-dihydrotestosterone or by binding of a competitive inhibitor, [3H]17 beta-NN-diethulcarbamoyl-4-methyl-4-aza-5 alpha-androstan-3-one ([3H]4-MA) to the reductase, is inhibited by low concentrations (less than 10 microM) of certain polyunsaturated fatty acids. The relative inhibitory potencies of unsaturated fatty acids are, in decreasing order: gamma-linolenic acid greater than cis-4,7,10,13,16,19-docosahexaenoic acid = cis-6,9,12,15-octatetraenoic acid = arachidonic acid = alpha-linolenic acid greater than linoleic acid greater than palmitoleic acid greater than oleic acid greater than myristoleic acid. Other unsaturated fatty acids such as undecylenic acid, erucic acid and nervonic acid, are inactive. The methyl esters and alcohol analogues of these compounds, glycerols, phospholipids, saturated fatty acids, retinoids and carotenes were inactive even at 0.2 mM. The results of the binding assay and the enzymic assay correlated well except for elaidic acid and linolelaidic acid, the trans isomers of oleic acid and linoleic acid respectively, which were much less active than their cis isomers in the binding assay but were as potent in the enzymic assay. gamma-Linolenic acid had no effect on the activities of two other rat liver microsomal enzymes: NADH:menadione reductase and glucuronosyl transferase. gamma-Linolenic acid, the most potent inhibitor tested, decreased the Vmax. and increased Km values of substrates, NADPH and testosterone, and promoted dissociation of [3H]4-MA from the microsomal reductase. gamma-Linolenic acid, but not the corresponding saturated fatty acid (stearic acid), inhibited the 5 alpha-reductase activity, but not the 17 beta-dehydrogenase activity, of human prostate cancer cells in culture. These results suggest that unsaturated fatty acids may play an important role in regulating androgen action in target cells. PMID: 1637346 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

6 Superfoods for Healthy Hair

By Dorie Eisenstein

It’s all about balance when it comes to optimal nutrition for maintaining healthy hair. “Hair is a fast-growing tissue and it’s likely to make demands on your body,” says Brian Thompson, principal trichologist and director of product development at Philip Kingsley Trichological Centre in New York and London. “You need a mixture of protein, complex carbohydrates, and vitamins and minerals. But if you consume too much of any one thing, particularly certain vitamins and minerals, you can create problems with hair growth.”

Good hair nutrition begins with getting enough protein, which is the building block of your hair. Then you need complex carbohydrates to help assemble the proteins for hair growth. “Once you’ve considered protein, then getting iron in absorbable forms is one of the single most important minerals as far as hair growth is concerned,” says Thompson. Other important vitamins and minerals include B complex, which is associated with energy production and building good hair and skin issues, folic acid, B12, and zinc.

Here, a list of foods that Thompson recommends be consumed along with fresh fruits and vegetables:

1. Beef. If you don’t have high cholesterol, Thompson recommends eating red meat twice a week for optimal hair health. Not only does beef have the protein you need, but also B vitamins, iron, and zinc, important minerals for healthy hair.

2. Eggs or Egg Whites. Vegetarian? Can’t eat red meat for health reasons? Then egg whites are the way to go. “If you can’t eat an animal protein, egg whites are the next best thing,” says Thompson. “Their value is underestimated in our society.”

3. Brown Short-Grain Rice. You should have complex carbohydrates, which feed you energy over a longer period of time than refined carbohydrates, with your protein source at meals. Brown short-grain rice is an ideal form. It’s also a good source of B vitamins and some fiber.

4. Cottage Cheese. Try low-fat cottage cheese for a protein-packed breakfast or lunch on the go when you don’t have time to make eggs. Top it with some fresh berries for an added serving of fruit. Plus, cottage cheese is also a good source of calcium.

5. Bacon. Although it’s not a good food to eat if you’re trying to lose weight, Kingsley recommends eating a normal serving of bacon for extra B vitamins, zinc, and protein.

6. Salmon. Try it smoked or fresh at breakfast, lunch, or dinner for a good dose of protein along with B vitamins, including B12, and other vitamins and minerals.

» this guy doesnt know what he is talking about that recommends red meat or bacon
it might be OK once or twice a week but the vits etc it has can easily be found in supplements
try eating red meat every day, your hair will go downhill VERY QUICKLY
you guys post a lot of "studies"
but have you experienced this diet yourself?

6 Superfoods for Healthy Hair
»
» By Dorie Eisenstein
»
» It’s all about balance when it comes to optimal nutrition for maintaining
» healthy hair. “Hair is a fast-growing tissue and it’s likely to make
» demands on your body,” says Brian Thompson, principal trichologist and
» director of product development at Philip Kingsley Trichological Centre in
» New York and London. “You need a mixture of protein, complex carbohydrates,
» and vitamins and minerals. But if you consume too much of any one thing,
» particularly certain vitamins and minerals, you can create problems with
» hair growth.”
»
» Good hair nutrition begins with getting enough protein, which is the
» building block of your hair. Then you need complex carbohydrates to help
» assemble the proteins for hair growth. “Once you’ve considered protein,
» then getting iron in absorbable forms is one of the single most important
» minerals as far as hair growth is concerned,” says Thompson. Other
» important vitamins and minerals include B complex, which is associated
» with energy production and building good hair and skin issues, folic acid,
» B12, and zinc.
»
» Here, a list of foods that Thompson recommends be consumed along with
» fresh fruits and vegetables:
»
» 1. Beef. If you don’t have high cholesterol, Thompson recommends eating
» red meat twice a week for optimal hair health. Not only does beef have the
» protein you need, but also B vitamins, iron, and zinc, important minerals
» for healthy hair.
»
» 2. Eggs or Egg Whites. Vegetarian? Can’t eat red meat for health reasons?
» Then egg whites are the way to go. “If you can’t eat an animal protein,
» egg whites are the next best thing,” says Thompson. “Their value is
» underestimated in our society.”
»
» 3. Brown Short-Grain Rice. You should have complex carbohydrates, which
» feed you energy over a longer period of time than refined carbohydrates,
» with your protein source at meals. Brown short-grain rice is an ideal
» form. It’s also a good source of B vitamins and some fiber.
»
» 4. Cottage Cheese. Try low-fat cottage cheese for a protein-packed
» breakfast or lunch on the go when you don’t have time to make eggs. Top it
» with some fresh berries for an added serving of fruit. Plus, cottage cheese
» is also a good source of calcium.
»
» 5. Bacon. Although it’s not a good food to eat if you’re trying to lose
» weight, Kingsley recommends eating a normal serving of bacon for extra B
» vitamins, zinc, and protein.
»
» 6. Salmon. Try it smoked or fresh at breakfast, lunch, or dinner for a
» good dose of protein along with B vitamins, including B12, and other
» vitamins and minerals.

Not only does one benefit from the vitamins and minerals that beef provides in abundance, but “regular consumption of meat increases our ability to produce equol,” as you and your little kung fu playmate learned in an earlier thread :stuck_out_tongue: .

My hair is not adversely affected by eating meat once or twice a week.

Some here also claimed that drinking cow’s milk causes males to lose their hair. But I, personally, have not found that to be the case either.

some things that we eat have nutrients in it that are good for hair
but for example, if you get a lot of nutrients from beef but each too much animal protein, in the process
bad idea, the animal protein in excess will kill your hair

milk is not bad for hair, but drinking it in excess is certainly bad for your hair, its animal protien also

if you eat red meat dont do it more than a few days a week

» Not only does one benefit from the vitamins and minerals that beef provides
» in abundance, but “regular consumption of meat increases our
» ability to produce equol,” as you and your little kung fu playmate learned
» in an earlier thread :stuck_out_tongue: .
»
» My hair is not adversely affected by eating meat once or twice a week.
»
» Some here also claimed that drinking cow’s milk causes males to lose their
» hair. But I, personally, have not found that to be the case either.

Lots of WHEY does my hair good.

» Lots of WHEY does my hair good.

but wouldnt you say that…excess sodium…excess processed
white carbohydrates and sugar…and excess red meat and animal protein
are detrimental to the hair

my own experience has shown this to be the case

I am betting that Jacob’s Whey protein doesn’t even contain those things in excess, I do not know why you would think that it would.

The things that cause you to experience increased hair loss, do not necessarily mean that someone else with experience increased hair loss. and do you know why? BECAUSE OUR BODIES ARE ALL DIFFERENT!:wink:

» I am betting that Jacob’s Whey protein doesn’t even contain those things in
» excess, I do not know why you would think that it would.
»
» The things that cause you to experience increased hair loss, do not
» necessarily mean that someone else with experience increased hair loss.
» and do you know why? BECAUSE OUR BODIES ARE ALL DIFFERENT!:wink:

who said whey contained those things? Im asking a general question

as for all our bodies being different i agree to an extent but
if something is bad for your hair its bad for your hair…

Borage oil/fish oil didn’t work for me, used it for a year. Tried different dosages…nothing, hair continues to fall out. Still using though it since it helps circulation, which by the way seems is a common characteristic of many hair loss products: fish oil, minoxidil, nitric oxide, laser comb, beta sitosterol, green tea, etc.

» There are a variety of ways to combat hair loss, and increase one’s chances
» of maintaining and regrowing his hair. Here is a comprehensive approach
» via internals:
»
» 1. Inhibiting DHT-influenced TGF-beta
» a. curcumin
» b. apple peel extract
» c. cocoa bean extract
» d. barley
»
» 2. Inhibiting inflammation-influenced TNF-alpha
» a. Essential Fatty Acids
» i. fish oil (EPA/DHA)
» ii. borage oil (GLA)
» iii. green tea (also inhibits DHT, lowers cholesterol, etc.)
» b. digestive enzymes
»
» 3. Glucose control (e.g. insulin resistance, type II diabetes)
» a. chromium
» b. pycnogenol
»
»
» Admittedly, this list may be considered incomplete. But I feel these
» supplements could serve as a foundation on which to build upon further.
» Feel free to do so:-D .

Saw Palmetto

True, you can find the same vits & mins in supplements, but do the supplements also contain the enzymes (found in the food we eat) necessary to utilize the vits & mins? Taking supplements without the proper enzymes is just like pouring money down the drain (or toilet).

Jtelecom

» True, you can find the same vits & mins in supplements, but do the
» supplements also contain the enzymes (found in the food we eat)
» necessary to utilize the vits & mins? Taking supplements without
» the proper enzymes is just like pouring money down the drain (or toilet).
»
» Jtelecom

enzymes, ? more like the minerals you need to process and recognize the vitamins
your digestive system contains natural enzymes

Beta sitosterol, nettle root extract, and (to a lesser extent) saw palmetto are often considered as the “Evil Trinity” of natural supplements, due to the side effects reported by a significant number of users.

» Beta sitosterol, nettle root extract, and (to a lesser extent) saw palmetto
» are often considered as the “Evil Trinity” of natural supplements, due to
» the side effects reported by a significant number of users.

what side effects? I thought they were supposed to be safer than Propecia n avodart. Do tell.

» Borage oil/fish oil didn’t work for me, used it for a year. Tried
» different dosages…nothing, hair continues to fall out. Still using
» though it since it helps circulation, which by the way seems is a common
» characteristic of many hair loss products: fish oil, minoxidil, nitric
» oxide, laser comb, beta sitosterol, green tea, etc.

chia, I have something for you to try. Go get a big bottle of spirulina and take a handful in the morning and one in the evening. I am having pretty good success with it.