The importance of choosing a good saw palmetto brand

I found this article about different saw palmetto brands. I didn’t have good results with saw palmetto, maybe I was using the wrong brand.

Not all brands are created equal: a comparison of selected components of different brands of Serenoa repens extract.

Habib FK, Wyllie MG.

Prostate Research Group, University Department of Oncology, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh, UK. f.k.habib@ed.ac.uk

Recommendations regarding the use of plant-derived medications for the treatment of lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) state that every brand should be fully evaluated and considered separately. Disparity between a number of brands in terms of their stated and actual doses has been recently highlighted.

The aim of this study was to fully quantify the variation in Serenoa repens extracts (SrE) commercially available for the treatment of BPH-associated LUTS. To this end, 14 brands of SrE were compared. Concentrations of free fatty acids (FFAs), methyl and ethyl esters, long-chain esters and glycerides were assessed using liquid and gas chromatography.

Many of the brands showed a significantly different proportional content which may have an impact on their clinical efficacy and safety. The high concentrations of FFAs in particular, which previous research has suggested as comprising the active agent of SrE for the treatment of LUTS, may influence the clinical benefit derived from each product.

Our findings lend further weight to recommendations by the 5th International Consultation on BPH that plant-derived treatments should be analysed and considered as independent entities despite their common origin. Only extracts with demonstrated pharmacological activities and proven clinical efficacy should be considered for the treatment of patients with BPH.

Interesting Post ipod. I take Saw Palmetto from GNC, which I consider a good product. But after reading thru that article it made me relook at the ingredients in the product I am talking.

I’ve never understood why those who use SP don’t use that SP/Astaxanthin combo- Alphastat. Swanson carries it.

Alphastat

Actually they may have changed the name- MyTosterone

(those two can be clicked on for the links…in case you didn’t know)

» I’ve never understood why those who use SP don’t use that SP/Astaxanthin
» combo- Alphastat. Swanson carries it.
»
»
» Alphastat
»
» Actually they may have changed the name-
» MyTosterone
»
» (those two can be clicked on for the links…in case you didn’t know)

Yep…same product: An open label, dose response study to determine the effect of a dietary supplement on dihydrotestosterone, testosterone and estradiol levels in healthy males | Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition | Full Text

» I’ve never understood why those who use SP don’t use that SP/Astaxanthin
» combo- Alphastat. Swanson carries it.
»
»
» Alphastat
»
» Actually they may have changed the name-
» MyTosterone
»
» (those two can be clicked on for the links…in case you didn’t know)

what so special about the SP/Astaxanthin combo? what is Astaxanthin btw?

Ok. I thought this was somewhat true. I mean, it is sad, but some companies CUT costs any way they can!

» I found this article about different saw palmetto brands. I didn’t have
» good results with saw palmetto, maybe I was using the wrong brand.
»
»
» Not all brands are created equal: a comparison of selected components of
» different brands of Serenoa repens extract.
»
» Habib FK, Wyllie MG.
»
» Prostate Research Group, University Department of Oncology, Western
» General Hospital, Edinburgh, UK. f.k.habib@ed.ac.uk
»

» Concentrations of free fatty acids (FFAs), methyl and ethyl esters,
» long-chain esters and glycerides were assessed using liquid and gas
» chromatography.
»
» Many of the brands showed a significantly different proportional content
» which may have an impact on their clinical efficacy and safety. The high
» concentrations of FFAs in particular, which previous research has suggested
» as comprising the active agent of SrE for the treatment of LUTS, may
» influence the clinical benefit derived from each product.
»
» Our findings lend further weight to recommendations by the 5th
» International Consultation on BPH that plant-derived treatments should be
» analysed and considered as independent entities despite their common
» origin. Only extracts with demonstrated pharmacological activities and
» proven clinical efficacy should be considered for the treatment of patients
» with BPH.

» » I’ve never understood why those who use SP don’t use that SP/Astaxanthin
» » combo- Alphastat. Swanson carries it.
» »
» »
» »
» Alphastat
» »
» » Actually they may have changed the name-
» »
» MyTosterone
» »
» » (those two can be clicked on for the links…in case you didn’t know)
»
» what so special about the SP/Astaxanthin combo? what is Astaxanthin btw?

See the links :wink:

I have had great success with Dr. Armani’s Origenere multi vitamin. It contains saw palmetto, msm, q10, and other beneficial ingredients. I had 2 procedures with Dr. Armani, and this vitamin is just as amazing as his work.

Whoah! Thank you for this Ipod. It made me think twice about taking just any hair loss product in the market. It is really good to read all the ingredients first before buying a certain product.:smiley: