Study: stabilization of hair loss with minoxidil - 80%

Stabilization of Hair Loss with Minoxidil Topical Solution
Pharmacia Consumer Healthcare, Helsingborg, Sweden and Peapack, NJ, USA

"…A recent analysis of hair count data in 4 multicenter studies evaluating both minoxidil 2% and 5% (two studies in females and two in males) has sustantiated that hair loss can be stabilized using minoxidil topical solution use.

…The hair count stabilization data, based on a calculation of increased or unchanged number of non-vellus hairs compared to baseline, showed that for males the stabilization (percent of subjects) was 90% and 77% for minoxidil 2% users and 96% and 75% for minoxidil 5% users.

For females, the percentages were 87% and 88% for minoxidil 2% users, and 85% and 89% for minoxidil 5% users.

In addition, using hair count data in subjects treated with minoxidil 2% and 3% for up to 5 years, it was estimated that hair loss stabilized in 4 out of 5 (80%) subjects.

…in conclusion, multiple studies support the ability of minoxidil topical solution to stabilize hair loss in 4 out of 5 users".

I’m amazed this got no response.
I’ve been on minox and propecia since I was 20, now 37.

After reading this, I have no plans of putting it down.

I think Costco stopped selling the liquid.
Anyone got a cheap source in the US?

Gotta have the juice! Lol.
4 out of 5 people maintained their hair count?
I would think even some of the “natural forum” guys would jump on board with those numbers.

This pretty big news, IMO.

Thanks and peace.

“After reading this, I have no plans of putting it down.”

Sofar:

You will get the mother of all shocks of your life if you stop using it. Been there - done that. One of the biggest mistakes I have ever made was to quit minoxidil. It takes months and months and months for your hair to shed once quitting minoxidil, but when it does, you will then know just how well minoxidil really works. Minox may not be a “wow” treatment that gets overnight wow results, but make no mistake about it, it works, and works quite well.

Jtelecom

Jtelecom,

Thanks for the input.
I am thinking of switching to the 2% to save some money.

Also, thinking I could use a little more to offset the difference.

For years now I’ve been only using it once a day but don’t want to stop, esp. now that it is pretty cheap.

Thanks again.

Peace.

» Jtelecom,
»
» Thanks for the input.
» I am thinking of switching to the 2% to save some money.
»
» Also, thinking I could use a little more to offset the difference.
»
» For years now I’ve been only using it once a day but don’t want to stop,
» esp. now that it is pretty cheap.
»
» Thanks again.
»
» Peace.

If you go back to 2%, you’ll need to apply it twice per day. The 5% only requires once per day. If you’re thinking of using a little more 2%, it may offset your savings.

Also, yes minoxidil can help greatly EXCEPT it does not inhibit DHT which is the source of the problem. Did the study by chance measure increase/decrease changes in hair shaft diameter over the five year period?

Although the hair count data is encouraging, one can be experiencing diffused loss before the loss of hair count. So I feel both aspects are critical in the evaluation. But that’s where finasteride comes into play. Many guys use both and I do too.:wink:

I wonder what class each of the participants were in. How many were younger, middle-age, etc. That type of data can be very helpful.

i haven’t seen that study for a few years. that was from 2001.

here is the 2001 extract:

http://www.ehrs.org/conferenceabstracts/2001tokyo/researchabstracts/128-rundegren.htm
Home > Conference Abstracts > 2001 Tokyo

128 Stabilization of Hair Loss with Use of Minoxidil Topical Solution

J. Rundegren1 and R.J. Trancik2. Pharmacia Consumer Healthcare, Helsingborg, Sweden1 and Peapack, NJ, USA2.

A post-marketing surveillance study in over 11,000 minoxidil topical solution (MTS) 2% users with androgenetic alopecia demonstrated that 4 out of 5 subjects experienced a slowing or stopping of hair loss with MTS (Rogaine/Regaine).

Although subjects’ opinion of treatment results were considered to be important, further corroboration of these results was conducted and other data have been generated to support stabilization of hair loss.

A recent analysis of hair count data in four multicenter studies evaluating both MTS 2% and 5% (two studies in females and two in males) has substantiated that hair loss can be stabilized with MTS use.

The hair count stabilization data, based on a calculation of increased or unchanged number of non-vellus hairs compared to baseline, showed that for males the stabilization (percent of subjects) was 90% and 77% for MTS 2% users, and 96% and 75% for MTS 5% users.

For females, the percentages were 87% and 88% for MTS 2% users, and 85% and 89% for MTS 5% users. In addition, using hair count data in subjects treated with MTS 2% and 3% for up to 5 years (Olsen et al [JAAD 1990;22:643-46]), it was estimated that hair loss stabilized in 4 out of 5 (80%) subjects.

An evaluation of global photography, carried out by two blinded dermatology experts for a registration trial of MTS 5% in men, further supports stabilization of hair loss. One expert evaluated hair loss stabilization to be 94% in both MTS 2% and 5% MTS groups. The second expert reported stabilization in 85% of the subjects using MTS 2%, and 83% using MTS 5%.

In conclusion, multiple studies support the ability of MTS to stabilize hair loss in 4 out of 5 users.