Strip v. FUE, and docs for each?

Dear Forum Readers, I’ve been a long time watcher, and this is my first post. I’ve decided that a HT could really catapult my life, and I’m hoping for your input. I’ve read many posts on the benefits of Strip and those of FUE. Which procedure do you recommend?

My Thoughts:

FUE: no strip scar, very nice
lower yield in large sessions, big downer
fast recovery time.

Strip: Scar, but a good doctor and proper care should drastically minimize this
Highest yield
slow recovery time

Overall, I’m leaning toward strip because I don’t believe FUE has been perfected from the results I have seen. If the yields appeared the same, I would go for FUE in a heartbeat. But, I think we all know this just isn’t the case at the moment.

Docs Im looking at: Hasson and Wong for strip. Feller, Armani for FUE.

Thoughts about these doctors or which procedure to go with overall? Thanks

HairSoon:

I have had both types of procedures and it is strip that I would NEVER do again. I cannot put into words how much I hate the scar from my strip procedures. It is VERY limiting when it comes to cutting your hair. When done correctly, FUE has the same yield rate as strip and I have not seen any evidence to the contrary. It is all in who you choose to do the work. For example, you will get nowhere near the same yield with the average Bosley strip as you would with H&W. The same is true for FUE. If I had it all to do over again (and I wish I did), I would have chosen Dr. Armani from the start. The scar is NOT desireable. Good luck with your decision. You have some great choices in mind.

JTelecom,

Thank you for the input, appreciated. I see you’ve been to Bosley and Armani with 8 procedures, so it looks like you’ve been around the block. Do you have a personal journal with results from each procedure? How are your Armani strip results compared to your FUE?

Also, I see that you don’t want to disclose the clinic of 2 FUE procedures. Were they both from the same clinic, and are you not disclosing the doc because the results were poor?

» HairSoon:
»
» I have had both types of procedures and it is strip that I would NEVER do
» again. I cannot put into words how much I hate the scar from my strip
» procedures. It is VERY limiting when it comes to cutting your hair. When
» done correctly, FUE has the same yield rate as strip and I have not seen
» any evidence to the contrary. It is all in who you choose to do the work.
» For example, you will get nowhere near the same yield with the average
» Bosley strip as you would with H&W. The same is true for FUE. If I had it
» all to do over again (and I wish I did), I would have chosen Dr. Armani
» from the start. The scar is NOT desireable. Good luck with your decision.
» You have some great choices in mind.

" FUE has the same yield rate as strip and I have not seen any evidence to the contrary. It is all in who you choose to do the work. For example, you will get nowhere near the same yield with the average Bosley strip as you would with H&W. The same is true for FUE." I have had both done also. And would agree 100% with this. You need to chose your doctor very carefully.

» Also, I see that you don’t want to disclose the clinic of 2 FUE
» procedures. Were they both from the same clinic, and are you not
» disclosing the doc because the results were poor?

Yes and yes.

Franklin,

Who did you strip(s) and FUE(s)? Also, what docs do you recommend I look into for both? If FUE is truly the same yield as Strip, who are the very best in FUE?

What size were you sessions of each type in grafts?

» " FUE has the same yield rate as strip and I have not seen any evidence to
» the contrary. It is all in who you choose to do the work. For example, you
» will get nowhere near the same yield with the average Bosley strip as you
» would with H&W. The same is true for FUE." I have had both done also. And
» would agree 100% with this. You need to chose your doctor very carefully.

Hi HairSoon,

I myself am currently doing my own research with regards to which procedure to do and who will perform it. When it comes to which procedure to go with, I think it’s a no brainer. FUE seems like the only way to go and the most appealing reason would be the lack of scarring, recovery time and from what I have read and heard, the procedure is less painful than Strip surgery. Although FUE is more costly than Strip, I don’t think you can put a price on a decision like this. I have seen first hand the results from a patient who did the FUE procedure with Armani and to say the least, it was quite impressive! I have also seen a patient that had the Strip procedure done by Armani and the results were also impressive, however, this patient emphasized that if he could do it over again, he would have strictly gone with the FUE procedure. This was mainly due to the reasons listed above and the fact that with Strip, your hairstyles are limited to a longer cut. Before I make my final decision on which clinic is to perform my FUE procedure, I am hoping to meet other patients from other clinics. So far, I have been nothing short of impressed with what Armani has to offer. Good luck HairSoon!

I had rather small sessions this started back in 1999. 200, 300, and another 300 grafts. When everything was said and done produced very low yield. I would still have to use topic after these sessions to hide the thin areas after ht. It was a local strip doc named Dr. Cordaro. Then I went to Dr. Woods almost 6 years ago and got great yield. And at 45 my hairloss seems to be stabilized at the moment. That is why when I see Fue does not yield as well as strip I don’t buy all that. I would put my 1100 graft yield against any one doing strip at the time. It is choosing the right doc with a track record wether it’s strip or Fue. If the first strip doc did the job right I would not have gone to another doctor.

Hair transplant is not for everyone. First off, what is your age? Most doctors (the ethical ones) won’t even touch you if you are in your early 20s.

Have you tried meds such as Propecia and minoxidil etc?

HairSite,

Thanks for looking out. I’m in my late 20’s, and propecia appears to have stabilized my hairloss in the last year, except for the frontal 1/3 from before/current photos. I tried minox liquid and it really dried my scalp and made it super flakey, so i discontinued. Perhaps I’ll try the foam now.

Hairsite you have obviously done extensive research in this area. Who do you recommend for both FUE and strip? Earlier I stated I like Hasson and Wong for strip (probably the only choice) and Armani and Feller for FUE. Thoughts about the two procedures and docs, and do you have any other recommendations? Thanks

» Hair transplant is not for everyone. First off, what is your age? Most
» doctors (the ethical ones) won’t even touch you if you are in your early
» 20s.
»
» Have you tried meds such as Propecia and minoxidil etc?

» HairSite,
»
» Thanks for looking out. I’m in my late 20’s, and propecia appears to have
» stabilized my hairloss in the last year, except for the frontal 1/3 from
» before/current photos. I tried minox liquid and it really dried my scalp
» and made it super flakey, so i discontinued. Perhaps I’ll try the foam
» now.
»
» Hairsite you have obviously done extensive research in this area. Who do
» you recommend for both FUE and strip? Earlier I stated I like Hasson and
» Wong for strip (probably the only choice) and Armani and Feller for FUE.
» Thoughts about the two procedures and docs, and do you have any other
» recommendations? Thanks
»
» » Hair transplant is not for everyone. First off, what is your age? Most
» » doctors (the ethical ones) won’t even touch you if you are in your
» early
» » 20s.
» »
» » Have you tried meds such as Propecia and minoxidil etc?

Hi HairSoon,

I think you have made the righ decision considering Dr.Armani for your FUE procedure. I have had both strip and FUE surgeries. I had a strip surgery with another doctor and was left with a 1" wide scar. I would reccomend avoiding strip as I have foud that the yields were exactly the same with FUE with less stress. I greatly prefer FUE and think you will be happy with the decision to go FUE at Armani. The recovery time is also so much shorter and it is much less invasive and not as painful. Dr. Armani’s clinic made the feel very comfortable and their attention to detail is unparralled. I don’t think you will be disappointed. Good luck with your decision!! Take care.

:slight_smile:

Some say strip yields better than FUE. But then again how do you compare.

I had my strip done by one of Europes most experience hair transplant surgeon. It caused a big “smiley” and lots of discomfort. My 2 FUE procedures where a breeze compared to my strip surgery. Furthermore I believe that my FUE gave much better yield than my strip surgery. But how to compare since my sessions where done by different docs ?

All I want to say that in the right hands FUE yields are the same, and maybe even higher then with strip surgery.

My advice:
Stay away from strip as long as you possibly can, it has build in risks and pitfalls.

Bart

» HairSite,
»
» Thanks for looking out. I’m in my late 20’s, and propecia appears to have
» stabilized my hairloss in the last year, except for the frontal 1/3 from
» before/current photos. I tried minox liquid and it really dried my scalp
» and made it super flakey, so i discontinued. Perhaps I’ll try the foam
» now.
»
» Hairsite you have obviously done extensive research in this area. Who do
» you recommend for both FUE and strip? Earlier I stated I like Hasson and
» Wong for strip (probably the only choice) and Armani and Feller for FUE.
» Thoughts about the two procedures and docs, and do you have any other
» recommendations? Thanks

i would never use feller for fue, it’s not what he s good at.

Whatever you do, you should consider that you may need 7000-8000 reasonable quality graft eventually whatever your current condition. I believe that all candidates should make any plan based on this.

» Whatever you do, you should consider that you may need 7000-8000 reasonable
» quality graft eventually whatever your current condition. I believe that
» all candidates should make any plan based on this.

Are you saying FUE is not reasonable quality and to look into strip? Not that that’s bad, at this point thats actually my conclusion.

Can anyone show me a FUE session at or over 3000 into bald temples and receeding middle on a NW3 that rivals strip results? I haven’t seen it.

» » Whatever you do, you should consider that you may need 7000-8000
» reasonable
» » quality graft eventually whatever your current condition. I believe
» that
» » all candidates should make any plan based on this.
»
»
» Are you saying FUE is not reasonable quality and to look into strip? Not
» that that’s bad, at this point thats actually my conclusion.
»
» Can anyone show me a FUE session at or over 3000 into bald temples and
» receeding middle on a NW3 that rivals strip results? I haven’t seen it.

How you got that out of Marco’s statement is puzzling to me. He simply stated that you should plan on having that many grafts harvested in case you progress to a NW5.

As for FUE vs Strip, I have seen many, MANY results in person and can say that the yield is pretty similar. I have seen Armani strip and Armani Fue and I cannot tell the difference until I am told one way or the other.

I do suggest you see some in person results yourself of both techniques. Always the way to go.

» » » Whatever you do, you should consider that you may need 7000-8000
» » reasonable
» » » quality graft eventually whatever your current condition. I believe
» » that
Hi Pats205,

I gathered that from Marco’s statement based on the context of previous posts within the thread.
However, I asked it in the form of a question because I was not sure.

I would like to see patient results in person. How do I arrange this? Are there pretty much patients in every major city willing to meet from your clinic?

» » » all candidates should make any plan based on this.
» »
» »
» » Are you saying FUE is not reasonable quality and to look into strip?
» Not
» » that that’s bad, at this point thats actually my conclusion.
» »
» » Can anyone show me a FUE session at or over 3000 into bald temples and
» » receeding middle on a NW3 that rivals strip results? I haven’t seen it.
»
» How you got that out of Marco’s statement is puzzling to me. He simply
» stated that you should plan on having that many grafts harvested in case
» you progress to a NW5.
»
» As for FUE vs Strip, I have seen many, MANY results in person and can say
» that the yield is pretty similar. I have seen Armani strip and Armani Fue
» and I cannot tell the difference until I am told one way or the other.
»
» I do suggest you see some in person results yourself of both techniques.
» Always the way to go.

We have many clinics located in all the major cities where you can meet with a patient consultant. A lot of our coordinators have had work done themselves and are more then willing to show you their result. A consultant is also able to help coordinate a patient meetings to see Armani results in person.

As well, there are some Armani patients on this site that might be willing to meet, you might want to PM them or check with the Admin. I know he has arranged this in the past.

List of clinics are as follows:

Clinics

Beverly Hills Dubai Toronto

Consultation Centres

Beverly Hills
Dubai
Toronto
New York City
Chicago
Dallas
Miami
Seattle