Scabs and Shedding

I recently had a FUE transplant with Dr.Cole and his team. They recommend to go easy on the recipient area for a good week i.e. limit the blood pressure to your head to avoid having the grafts pop out, and also spraying the recipient area with there aloe mixture which I did. After 10 days post op they recommend massaging the recipient area then after 2 weeks using your fingers scrub any remaining scabs off. My question is when I scrubbed the scabs off after 2 weeks I noticed the transplanted hair shed with the scabs anyone else notice this? Currently at 5 weeks post op most of the hair now has shed I would say between 70-80% anyone else notice this as well?

Just trying to get a feel as to what is normal as this is my first transplant and I am nervous and just hope I am doing everything right.

» I recently had a FUE transplant with Dr.Cole and his team. They recommend
» to go easy on the recipient area for a good week i.e. limit the blood
» pressure to your head to avoid having the grafts pop out, and also spraying
» the recipient area with there aloe mixture which I did. After 10 days post
» op they recommend massaging the recipient area then after 2 weeks using
» your fingers scrub any remaining scabs off. My question is when I scrubbed
» the scabs off after 2 weeks I noticed the transplanted hair shed with the
» scabs anyone else notice this? Currently at 5 weeks post op most of the
» hair now has shed I would say between 70-80% anyone else notice this as
» well?
»
» Just trying to get a feel as to what is normal as this is my first
» transplant and I am nervous and just hope I am doing everything right.

Totally normal. We just had a discussion on the same topic,

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum_entry-id-37633-page-0-category-2-order-last_answer.html

The transplanted grafts are supposed to shed. It is normal that the grafts are embedded within the scabs when they fell out. Not to worry, the follicles are intact.

The follicles will normally go through a resting phase. You should see the new hair starting to grow anywhere from 6-12 months post op.

Email me hairsite@aol.com if you have any before pictures. I can set up a forum journal for you to track your progress over time. You can also upload your pics in the forum too if you prefer.

BTW, here’s a study to ease your fears.

Dermatol Surg. 2006 Feb;32(2):199-207.

Graft anchoring in hair transplantation.

Bernstein RM, Rassman WR.

BACKGROUND: Since it is not known precisely how long it will take for grafts to be securely anchored after hair transplantation, the advice that the medical profession has offered patients regarding postoperative care has been somewhat arbitrary.

OBJECTIVE: This study attempted to provide scientific data that can be useful in refining postoperative hair transplantation protocols.

METHODS: Forty-two patients participated in the study. During their postoperative period, each had several grafts pulled to determine at what point they could no longer be manually dislodged.

RESULTS: For the first 2 days, pulling on a hair always resulted in a lost graft. By the sixth day, pulling on a hair no longer dislodged the graft. Pulling on an adherent scab always resulted in a lost graft through day 5. At 9 days postoperatively, grafts were no longer at risk of being dislodged.

CONCLUSION : The presence of crusting extends the interval that grafts are at risk of being dislodged postoperatively. If one can prevent crust formation following hair transplantation, this would both shorten the time patients are at risk of losing their grafts and enable them to return to their normal hair care routines more quickly.

Good job troyo 99! I remember a time when you were particularly depressed (it’s my turn now…). I hope you all the best with this FUE procedure.

It sounds normal to me although I never scrubbed the recipient, I simply let the scabs do its thing over time.

» Good job troyo 99! I remember a time when you were particularly depressed
» (it’s my turn now…). I hope you all the best with this FUE procedure.

Thanks its been really good no complaints. Dr.Cole and his team took some before pics and some right after surgery pics, so when I go back for my follow up exam I will ask him to share them with you. Everything seems to be going fine though there are still some hairs left growing away and I can kinda make out some others just poking the skin. Well wish me luck over the next few months.

I do. We all do, my friend.