Saw Palmetto, 1000mg or 320mg standardized?

I added Puritans Pride 1000mg; I x soft gel a day about 8 months ago to my regime and noticed a marked improvement in my hair after 5 - 6 months (much to my amazement!:-D). After doing some further research I swapped to 320mg standardized, again from PP, as this seems to be the most recommended dose. I also added a chelated multi mineral at the same time. However, after just over a month and a half on the standardized I seem to be loosing some ground. Does anyone have any idea why this might have happened? Perhaps I should take 2 –3 of the 320mg to get closer to the 1000mg I was on previously? Or maybe just go back to the 1000mg!

Thanks!

I have been using 160 mg standardized to 45% , twice daily and I have to say I am disappointed with the results. Now I am using both saw palmetto and Propecia and it appears to be helping. I am also taking high dose vitamin C.

» I have been using 160 mg standardized to 45% ,

I can see why you are not getting the results you want. I think you need SP that is standardized to at least 85% of fatty acids, not 45%. What you are using is almost 50% less potent.

Read this,
http://www.activeherb.com/faq/sawp_faq.shtml

Q: Why should I take a standardized saw palmetto extract? What is it?
A: When scientists study saw palmetto for its clinical use and its mechanism of action, they use the extract preparations that are standardized for the same active components. Only in this way, results from different studies can be comparable and consistent. As any herb is composed of thousands of chemicals, different ways of extraction may give dramatically different amounts of its active ingredients. When a saw palmetto extract is standardized you know it is the type of extract used in studies and contains the same amount of active ingredients. This means you can expect it to produce the same benefits shown in studies. A standardized saw palmetto extract is standardized to contain at least 85% of fatty acids and sterols.

Q: How can I tell if a saw palmetto product is standardized?
A: Saw palmetto sold on markets are in many different forms. Many of them are not standardized. Some of them are labelled stardardized but when you look at the supplement facts on the labels their active ingredients are in much lower amounts. To tell if a saw palmetto product is standardized, you just need to look at the label under supplement facts and see if you can find fatty acids and sterols at 85% or higher. If you can it is standardized. Otherwise it is not.

Damn, what about beta-sis, does it have to be standardized to 85% fatty acids to be effective ?

» I have been using 160 mg standardized to 45% , twice daily and I have to
» say I am disappointed with the results. Now I am using both saw palmetto
» and Propecia and it appears to be helping. I am also taking high dose
» vitamin C.

You need to look into what pathways are upregulating DHT to slow and stop hairloss.

If you have oily hair try emulisfyiing your fats in your diet and perhaps adding Pantothenic acid.

Regards
Pete

» You need to look into what pathways are upregulating DHT to slow and stop
» hairloss.

What are the possibilities? Give me some examples, and how does one find out what pathways are upregulating DHT?

Are you assuming that eliminating DHT alone will stop hair loss? There are every DHT blocker, DHT inhibitor imaginable out there, if it was that simple, many would have been cured already.

» Are you assuming that eliminating DHT alone will stop hair loss? There are
» every DHT blocker, DHT inhibitor imaginable out there, if it was that
» simple, many would have been cured already.

If you respond to DHT blockers, like I do , yes it stops hairloss but you need
super hair vits and mins also

DHT blockers do not reduce DHT, they BLOCK the DHT already present from binding to the androgen receptors at the base of the hair follicles, thats why they are Called DHT BLOCKERS

some people do not respond to them though

» » You need to look into what pathways are upregulating DHT to slow and
» stop
» » hairloss.
»
» What are the possibilities? Give me some examples, and how does one find
» out what pathways are upregulating DHT?

Ive actually been posting about the different pathways for the past few years.

You are right to think adding more and more things which people assume are blocking DHT ( hairloss ) will not suffice.

What is needed is an understanding of what is going on rather than haphazardly adding more and more supplements. I actually think people can get into a hormonal mess by adding so many things. The key is to get the BALANCE right.

You can slow loss via :

1. Keeping your TESTOSTERONE at youthful levels whilst inhibiting DHT and Estradiol.
  2. Using a Topical to reduce the IMMUNAL response.
  3. Using a Shampoo to reduce the IMMUNAL response.
  4. Emuslifying fats and reducing the upregulation of Cholesterol
  5. Balancing blood sugar levels

Regards
Pete

Pete what do you think of resveratrol
you seem to be forward minded in your thinking

300mg is also sufficient.

» Pete what do you think of resveratrol
» you seem to be forward minded in your thinking

Why would you want to take such an antioxidant?

Regards
Pete

have you read anything on it?

» » Pete what do you think of resveratrol
» » you seem to be forward minded in your thinking
»
»
» Why would you want to take such an antioxidant?
»
»
» Regards
» Pete

» have you read anything on it?
»
»
» » » Pete what do you think of resveratrol
» » » you seem to be forward minded in your thinking
» »
» »
» » Why would you want to take such an antioxidant?
» »
» »
» » Regards
» » Pete

To be frank, I have not taken this supplement so I cant comment on it.

What I would suggest people to do is to reduce their toxin load rather than masking free radical activity.

Regards
Pete

» » have you read anything on it?
» »
» »
» » » » Pete what do you think of resveratrol
» » » » you seem to be forward minded in your thinking
» » »
» » »
» » » Why would you want to take such an antioxidant?
» » »
» » »
» » » Regards
» » » Pete
»
»
» To be frank, I have not taken this supplement so I cant comment on it.
»
» What I would suggest people to do is to reduce their toxin load rather
» than masking free radical activity.
»
»
»
» Regards
» Pete

I tend to try and understand why people want to take what they want to take.

If you want to try that supp, perhaps try it with grapeseed extract.

When you shift through all the CRAP that people talk about on the web about immune boosting supps - it becomes apparent whats important is balancing NO production.

Regards
Pete :slight_smile:

» http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=55691

I am familiar with what it can do.

I tend to look at the bigger picture with supplements.

Regards
Pete