Resveratrol - Fisetin versus Finasteride for hair regrowth

Dear readers,
As you know, I do not advise tablet Finasteride to my patients for baldness and have got great results with using natural, side effect free alternatives.

Following is a detailed analysis about the hair regrowth benefits of 2 approaches.
The 2 approaches being
Use of natural and safe supplements like topical Resveratrol Grapeseed extract and Fisetin with weekly microneedling on the one hand
versus
Use of Finasteride as a long term daily drug (available on prescription)

Analysis: Benefits and Side Effects of Natural Supplements vs. Finasteride for Hair Health

1. Gene Health and Natural Supplements:

Resveratrol, Fisetin, and Grapeseed Extract:

Benefits:

Antioxidant Protection: These natural supplements are known for their antioxidant properties, potentially protecting hair follicle cells from oxidative stress, which is implicated in hair loss.

Anti-Inflammatory Effects: Reducing inflammation may create a healthier environment for gene expression in hair follicles.

Wnt/β-Catenin Modulation: Some studies suggest that resveratrol and fisetin may influence the Wnt/β-catenin pathway, a key signaling pathway in hair follicle development and stem cell activation.

Telomerase activation : Intradermally, resveratrol and Fisetin increase expression of Telomerase (which in turn re lengthens the telomeres in the stem cells of the hair follicle resulting in stem cell multiplication and better hair growth)

Side Effects:

Generally Well-Tolerated: These supplements are often well-tolerated, but individual responses may vary.

Possible Allergies: Some individuals may have allergies or sensitivities to certain compounds.

1. Weekly Microneedling:

Benefits:
Increased Blood Flow: Microneedling may stimulate blood flow to the scalp, potentially enhancing nutrient delivery to hair follicles.

Collagen Production: The microtrauma induced by microneedling can stimulate collagen production, contributing to a healthier scalp environment.

Side Effects:

Minor Discomfort: Some individuals may experience mild discomfort during or after microneedling.

Risk of Infection: Improperly performed microneedling may carry a risk of infection. Learn the correct way to perform microneedling.

1. Finasteride (Oral):

Benefits:

DHT Inhibition: Finasteride inhibits the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a hormone implicated in androgenic alopecia.

Clinical Efficacy: Finasteride has been clinically proven to be effective in slowing down hair loss and promoting hair regrowth in many individuals.

Side Effects:

Sexual Side Effects: Some individuals may experience sexual side effects, such as decreased libido or erectile dysfunction.

Other Side Effects: Rare side effects may include breast tenderness, swelling, suicidal thoughts or mood changes.

Concerns About Long-Term Use: There are concerns about the long-term impact of disrupting DHT levels, which is a hormone important for various physiological functions.

1. Gene Health Considerations:

Natural Supplements:

Potential Gene Modulation: Natural supplements may modulate gene expression in a way that supports hair follicle health without disrupting hormonal pathways.

Individual Responses: Responses to these supplements may vary based on individual genetic factors.

Finasteride:

Selective DHT Inhibition: Finasteride specifically targets the conversion of testosterone to DHT, affecting genes involved in androgenic alopecia.

Genetic Predisposition: Individual genetic factors may influence the susceptibility to side effects.

1. Comparison: Natural Supplements vs. Finasteride:

Benefits of Natural Supplements:

Holistic Approach: Natural supplements offer a holistic approach, addressing inflammation, oxidative stress, and potential gene modulation without directly interfering with hormonal pathways.

Potential Synergies: The combination of resveratrol, fisetin, grapeseed extract, and microneedling may provide synergistic benefits.

Concerns About Finasteride:

Systemic Effects: Finasteride has systemic effects on hormonal pathways, which may raise concerns about long-term systemic impact.

Sexual Side Effects: Sexual side effects are a known concern with finasteride and can be a significant consideration for some individuals.

Conclusion:

My experiences and analysis suggests that natural supplements like resveratrol, fisetin, grapeseed extract, and microneedling offer potential benefits for hair health with a focus on gene modulation, anti-inflammatory effects, and antioxidant protection. While finasteride is clinically effective, concerns about its systemic effects, especially sexual side effects, highlight the importance of considering alternative approaches. The choice between natural supplements and finasteride may depend on individual preferences, tolerances, and the desire for a holistic, gene-friendly approach to promoting hair health.

Regards,
Dr Capt Arvind Poswal @ Dr A

1 Like

@Dr_Arvind

I am impressed, the pic is after how many months of treatment?

Yes. 3 months after treatment (No PRP, No Finasteride)

Hi Dr. A…

I’d like to order your serum but I’d like to know what inactive ingredients are in it… e.g. propylene glycol or some other stuff I don’t like to put on my skin. Can you advise please?