That is a very good question. It was suggested to me to do a small sample first and see how my body reacts and to see how I felt with the results. And then based on those results either continue or not continue. I believe that is a very good idea. And I would suggest that to others also.
My decision was somewhat based on timing and circumstances. I had made the decision to go with Dr. Umar. If for some reason it did not work with him I did not plan on trying somewhere else with my remaining donor hair. I believe there are several great doctors, but he appeared to be the best match for me. My case required substantial BHT because I only had in the neighborhood of 2500 to 4000 graphs available from the scalp. So strip surgery, regardless of concerns about the strip scar, wasn’t an option for me because I did not have enough scalp donor hair.
I understood that my case would probably require two surgeries. After the first surgery, we would wait approximately 9 months to do the final smaller surgery. From the forums, it seems that others have tried that approach in general with some success. I believe it takes 6 months to a year or more to start to get a feel for how the results are shaping up. Please keep in mind that I am no expert, but this was how I was viewing things.
So if I did a sample, I would shave my head, have the surgery and then wait maybe up to a year to verify results. If things were good, I would have surgery one. Thus shaving me head again probably and waiting another year. And then, have the second surgery requiring me to shave my head and go through the surgery process a third time (including the sample initial surgery).
So one issue was, my timing situation did not allow for me to go back and forth for the next three years going back and forth to surgeries. Also, for me, so much BHT was required; that I thought it may be difficult to judge the results on a small sample in my case. I met with heliboy and I really liked his results and he helped me keep my expectations in check. I have faith in Dr. Umar while knowing BHT is still relatively new and realizing that my case is not an easy one. Will my results be as good as heliboy? I don’t know. But I wanted to try and find out.
Each person’s situation is unique. I will find out along with everyone else whether this works or not, but these were some of the thoughts leading to my decision.
I hope this helps.