Request peer advise (patients with a similar situation also welcome)

Request advise, diagnosis and possible treatment options for a friend. Selective thinning of 1 eyebrow (over weeks, during pregnancy, picture taken 4 months after childbirth)

I don’t think I can offer much help but just want to mention that my eyebrows are also thinning too especially when I am on finasteride. I did stop finasteride for about 2 months and my eyebrows grew back, I think there is definitely a connection in my case.

Topical minoxidil can restore eyebrows to a certain extent. Perhaps she can try this first and see if it helps before exploring other options.

i’m no expert but if its 4 months after pregnancy, let the harmones adjust back into balance before concluding the hair is gone forever.

women do lose hair during pregnancy due to big changes in their body chemistry so don’t jump to the surgery option just yet.

tell her to wait 1 year.

disclaimer : i’m just a layperson, not a doctor.

Does she pluck her eyebrows? I know a lot of women lost their eyebrows due to excessive plucking.

Can you treat her with FUE? I guess a very small session is all she needs.

BTW HS, I have used minoxidil on my brows before, it worked but without the density, the existing eyebrow hair grew longer but still lacking in density.

Dr. Arvind, I don’t see why this is such a difficult case especially for an accomplished doctor like yourself, like other posters said, she can wait a few months and if it doesn’t grow back, just give her a small FUE transplant. I 've seen repair work you did for burn victims that were in far worse situation than this, I don’t see why this is a challenge for you.

Dr. Arvind, whatever happend to this patient? Any updates? I need help with my eyebrows too and I am curious what kind of treatment you gave her.

Chris,
I got a lot of replies. From alopecia areata to trichotillomania.
But the lady in question is breastfeeding so most of the medications, especially, steroids is not recommended.
Regards,
Dr. A

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by Dr. Arvind[/postedby]
Chris,
But the lady in question is breastfeeding so most of the medications, especially, steroids is not recommended.
Regards,
Dr. A[/quote]

Dr. A, are you saying she lost her eyebrow hair because she was breast feeding?

I’ ve never heard of that before and not even sure how you can establish a link between breastfeeding and eyebrow loss.

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by Dr. Arvind[/postedby]
Chris,
Regards,
Dr. A

[postedby]Originally Posted by helpmeout[/postedby]

Dr. A, are you saying she lost her eyebrow hair because she was breast feeding?

I’ ve never heard of that before and not even sure how you can establish a link between breastfeeding and eyebrow loss.[/quote]

Dear Helpmeout,
No, I am not saying there is any link between breastfeeding and eyebrow loss.

I am saying that since she is breastfeeding, steroids medications can not be administered to her right now.

Regards.
Dr. A