Regenerating Lost Extremities

Researchers Work Toward Regenerating Lost Extremities

» Researchers Work Toward Regenerating Lost Extremities
»
» U.S. Department of Defense

I think it’s Acell they’re talking about. And if it is then it sounds more promising than i previously thought, I just wish some doctor would try injecting it into a bald area of scalp to see if it could regenerate follices.

» I think it’s Acell they’re talking about. And if it is then it sounds more
» promising than i previously thought, I just wish some doctor would try
» injecting it into a bald area of scalp to see if it could regenerate
» follices.

I’m pretty sure they’re talking about Acell.

However, this excerpt from the article is troubling:

“The theory is that when the powder is applied . . . if by a bone, then the cells become bone; if by a blood vessel, then they become a blood vessel; or if by a nerve, they become a nerve.”

That seems to mean, as I previously suspected, that the powder would need to be near a hair follicle or part of a hair follicle for it to grow a hair follicle.

That it might repair a damaged hair follicle, but not regrow a new hair follicle out of just skin cells.

However, this excerpt from the article is troubling:
»
» “The theory is that when the powder is applied . . . if by a bone, then
» the cells become bone; if by a blood vessel, then they become a blood
» vessel; or if by a nerve, they become a nerve.”
»
» That seems to mean, as I previously suspected, that the powder would need
» to be near a hair follicle or part of a hair follicle for it to grow a hair
» follicle.
»
» That it might repair a damaged hair follicle, but not regrow a new hair
» follicle out of just skin cells.

Still, all may not be lost: if one could take hair follicles, put them in a “blender,” then inject the follicle cell soup into Acell treated tissue, perhaps new follicles would then result.

» Researchers Work Toward Regenerating Lost Extremities
»
» U.S. Department of Defense

It must be Acell…Dr. Badylak worked with Dr. Spievak on Acell

ISR researchers are working with Steve Badylak at the Pittsburgh Tissue Engineering Initiative, whom they found while seeking medical innovations that could benefit wounded warriors. They were particularly interested in medical advances that could aid in combating the loss of extremities, which is a “common problem” on today’s battlefield, Wolf said.

Proof of my statement (because certain people need it):

"(The pig bladder) forms microscopic scaffolding for incoming human cells to occupy, and it emits chemical signals to encourage those cells to regenerate tissue. Those signals don’t specifically say ‘make a finger,’’ but cells pick up that message from their surroundings. We’re not smart enough to figure out how to regrow a finger. We are very uninformed about how all of this works,‘’ said Dr Stephen Badylak, a regeneration expert at the University of Pittsburgh, who collaborates with Alan Spievak.

Link to Above:

For all of the people with safety concerns about Acell:

“Since the powder was FDA approved and safe for use, we figured we would try it,” Wolf said. “The idea was out there that it might work for this application, but it had never been tried on humans.”

Why I think that it may regenerate removed donor tissue and hair:

The theory is that when the powder is applied, circulating stem cells see the matrix, stop and differentiate into whatever they are near, Wolf said. For instance, if by a bone, then the cells become bone; if by a blood vessel, then they become a blood vessel; or if by a nerve, they become a nerve.

“If we have a soldier who was blown up by an IED and missing fingers, and we have a chance to give him his fingers back, increase his function, how can we not try?” he said.

Thank God that they didn’t consult with certain “experts” on this forum…if they did, they wouldn’t even try to help these injured soldiers. That’s why I’ll leave it up to the DOCTORS to determine if this product works or not.

Maybe it will work, maybe it won’t…lets wait and see.

Take Care,
Bill

» » Researchers Work Toward Regenerating Lost Extremities
» »
» » U.S. Department of Defense
»
»
» It must be Acell…Dr. Badylak worked with Dr. Spievak on
» Acell
»
» ISR researchers are working with Steve Badylak at the
» Pittsburgh Tissue Engineering Initiative, whom they found while seeking
» medical innovations that could benefit wounded warriors. They were
» particularly interested in medical advances that could aid in combating the
» loss of extremities, which is a “common problem” on today’s battlefield,
» Wolf said.
»
»
» Proof of my statement (because certain people need
» it):
»
» "(The pig bladder) forms microscopic scaffolding for incoming human cells
» to occupy, and it emits chemical signals to encourage those cells to
» regenerate tissue. Those signals don’t specifically say ‘make a finger,’’
» but cells pick up that message from their surroundings. We’re not smart
» enough to figure out how to regrow a finger. We are very uninformed about
» how all of this works,‘’ said Dr Stephen Badylak, a
» regeneration expert at the University of Pittsburgh, who collaborates with
» Alan Spievak.
»
»
» Link to Above:
» http://news.softpedia.com/news/Finger-Regenerated-Using-Pig-Bladder-Extract-84827.shtml
»
»
»
» For all of the people with safety concerns about
» Acell:
»
» “Since the powder was FDA approved and safe for use, we
» figured we would try it,” Wolf said. “The idea was out there that it might
» work for this application, but it had never been tried on humans.”
»
»
» Why I think that it may regenerate removed donor tissue
» and hair:
»
» The theory is that when the powder is applied, circulating stem cells see
» the matrix, stop and differentiate into whatever they are near, Wolf said.
» For instance, if by a bone, then the cells become bone; if by a blood
» vessel, then they become a blood vessel; or if by a nerve, they become a
» nerve.
»
»
» “If we have a soldier who was blown up by an IED and missing fingers, and
» we have a chance to give him his fingers back, increase his function, how
» can we not try?” he said.
»
» Thank God that they didn’t consult with certain “experts” on
» this forum…if they did, they wouldn’t even try to help these injured
» soldiers. That’s why I’ll leave it up to the DOCTORS to determine if this
» product works or not.
»
»
» Maybe it will work, maybe it won’t…lets wait and see.
»
»
» Take Care,
» Bill

» » I think it’s Acell they’re talking about. And if it is then it sounds
» more
» » promising than i previously thought, I just wish some doctor would try
» » injecting it into a bald area of scalp to see if it could regenerate
» » follices.
»
»
» I’m pretty sure they’re talking about Acell.
»
» However, this excerpt from the article is troubling:
»
» “The theory is that when the powder is applied . . . if by a bone, then
» the cells become bone; if by a blood vessel, then they become a blood
» vessel; or if by a nerve, they become a nerve.”
»
» That seems to mean, as I previously suspected, that the powder would need
» to be near a hair follicle or part of a hair follicle for it to grow a hair
» follicle.
»
» That it might repair a damaged hair follicle, but not regrow a new hair
» follicle out of just skin cells.

That’s why I hope that it will regenerate donor tissue and hair. The hair in that area is “programmed” to be there (and remain there). If it regenerates surrounding tissue back to it’s original state, then there is a possibility that the donor region will return to it’s original state (including hair) when removed.

It’s just a possibility, but I feel the same way as the doctors from this article…it’s worth a try. I’m glad that there are some HT doctors who feel the same way.

Take Care,
Bill

Your ideas are simply brilliant. Throw some hair in a blender and add Acell. Inject Acell directly into the scalp. It all makes perfect sense. You all should be medical researchers.

» Your ideas are simply brilliant. Throw some hair in a blender and add
» Acell. Inject Acell directly into the scalp. It all makes perfect sense.
» You all should be medical researchers.

You mean like the researchers at stanford university who think they will be able to promote hair growth by injecting another version of an extracellular matrix into the scalp.

» » Your ideas are simply brilliant. Throw some hair in a blender and add
» » Acell. Inject Acell directly into the scalp. It all makes perfect
» sense.
» » You all should be medical researchers.
»
» You mean like the researchers at stanford university who think they will
» be able to promote hair growth by injecting another version of an
» extracellular matrix into the scalp.

Exactly. Brilliant.

» Your ideas are simply brilliant. Throw some hair in a blender and add
» Acell. Inject Acell directly into the scalp. It all makes perfect sense.
» You all should be medical researchers.

Look on the bright side. If you’re wrong (and Acell does regrow removed donor hair), you’ll be able to get a full head of hair again. If I’m wrong (in hoping that Acell will regrow hair)…I’M JUST WRONG.

Either way…you win!!!

Lil’fck
Your ideas are simply brilliant. Throw some hair in a blender and add Acell. Inject Acell directly into the scalp. It all makes perfect sense.
You all should be medical researchers.

Dogstar,
You mean like the researchers at stanford university who think they will able to promote hair growth by injecting another version of an extracellular matrix into the scalp.

Lil’fck
Exactly. Brilliant.

omg.
fckhrls got owned, and he doesn’t even know it. lolz

» » Your ideas are simply brilliant. Throw some hair in a blender and add
» » Acell. Inject Acell directly into the scalp. It all makes perfect
» sense.
» » You all should be medical researchers.
»
»
» Look on the bright side. If you’re wrong (and Acell does regrow
» removed donor hair), you’ll be able to get a full head of hair
» again.
If I’m wrong (in hoping that Acell will regrow
» hair)…I’M JUST WRONG.
»
» Either way…you win!!!

I already have a full head of hair - that’s why I’m not susceptible to the hysterics of the rest of you optimists. I did start losing my hair, but thanks to the big 3, I caught it early. Someday I may need something else, and that’s why I’m on this board, but right now - knock on wood - I’m fine.

posted by fckhrls, 28.08.2008, 23:55
I already have a full head of hair.

A “full” head of hair? Really?

posted by fckhrls, 15.05.2008, 18:45
I was lucky enough to get on antiadrogens (Propecia and Nizoral) about 2 years after I started noticing my hair thinning (about 19-20 years of age). I still have a cosmetically acceptable (you can’t tell that I’m thinning unless my hair gets very long) head of hair nearly 10 years later, and I don’t consider myself a great responder to those class of drugs; I didn’t really get much regrowth, I just kept what I still had. If Follica is able to produce hair that is still receptive to DHT, it shouldn’t be a problem for those of us that are just average responders to antiadrogens (and that is, by most studys’ account, about 90%). I’d be happy to get a full head of DHT susceptible hair.

» posted by fckhrls, 28.08.2008, 23:55
» I already have a full head of hair.
»
»
» A “full” head of hair? Really?
»
»
» posted by fckhrls, 15.05.2008, 18:45
» I was lucky enough to get on antiadrogens (Propecia and Nizoral) about
» 2 years after I started noticing my hair thinning
(about 19-20 years of
» age). I still have a cosmetically acceptable (you can’t tell that I’m
» thinning unless my hair gets very long
) head of hair nearly 10 years
» later, and I don’t consider myself a great responder to those class of
» drugs; I didn’t really get much regrowth, I just kept what I still
» had. If Follica is able to produce hair that is still receptive to DHT, it
» shouldn’t be a problem for those of us that are just average responders
» to antiadrogens
(and that is, by most studys’ account, about 90%).
» I’d be happy to get a full head of DHT susceptible
» hair.

You really need to get a hobby or make some friends. Anything to get you doing something other than E-stalking me. For Christ’s sake, you must have read all my posts to so quickly pull out a quote like that. Its kind of creepy actually, and it just confirms how much I’ve gotten under your skin. I bet you were just chomping at the bit to post this weekend, but feared my response. Its so pathetic. You poor lonely, lonely man.

As for that quote, what part of it contradicts what I said? There isn’t an inch of bald scalp on my head. It looks thin when my hair gets longer than say 6 or 7", but any shorter than that and you wouldn’t know I had any hairloss at all - even when wet. Its why I don’t flip out whenever a new “cure” is announced, or when said cure fails - I don’t need it yet. Maybe someday I will (that’s why I’m on this board; I’m thinking about the future), but thanks to Fin, Niz, and Rogaine, I’m just fine and have been for a decade. As for the last sentence, you took it out of context. That was from a discussion about new growth and DHT susceptibility. I wasn’t referring to me in particular, but rather meant it as a hypothetical for those NW3+s. What NW are you, Revtard? At least a NW 4, right? Wear a lot of hats, do you? At your age, that must seem very silly.

See a lot of movies alone, Revtard? I think I might change my nickname for you. How does “Ticket for One” sound?

You really need to get a hobby or make some friends. Anything to get you doing something other than E-stalking me. For Christ’s sakes, you must have read all my posts to so quickly pull out a quote like that. Its kind of creepy, actually, and it just confirms how much I’ve gotten under your skin. I bet you were just chomping at the bit to post this weekend, but feared my response. Its so pathetic. You poor lonely, lonely man.

lolz. It was your first post on hairsite. It didn’t take much work to prove you’re liar.

As for that quote, what part of it contradicts what I said? There isn’t an inch of bald scalp on my head. It looks thin when my hair gets longer than say 6 or 7", but any shorter than that and you wouldn’t know I had any hairloss at all - even when wet. Its why I don’t flip out whenever a new “cure” is announced, or when said cure fails - I don’t need it yet. Maybe someday I will (that’s why I’m on this board; I’m thinking about the future), but thanks to Fin, Niz, and Rogaine, I’m just fine and have been for a decade. As for the last sentence, you took it out of context. That was from a discussion about new growth and DHT susceptibility. I wasn’t referring to me in particular, but rather meant it as a hypothetical for those NW3+s. What NW are you, Revtard? At least a NW 4, right? Wear a lot of hats, do you? At your age, that must seem very silly.

yeah. I don’t care.

» You really need to get a hobby or make some friends. Anything
» to get you doing something other than E-stalking me. For Christ’s sakes,
» you must have read all my posts to so quickly pull out a quote like
» that
. Its kind of creepy, actually, and it just confirms how much I’ve
» gotten under your skin. I bet you were just chomping at the bit to post
» this weekend, but feared my response. Its so pathetic. You poor lonely,
» lonely man.
»
» lolz. It was your first post on hairsite. It didn’t take much work to
» prove you’re liar.
»
»
»
»
» As for that quote, what part of it contradicts what I said?
» There isn’t an inch of bald scalp on my head. It looks thin when my hair
» gets longer than say 6 or 7", but any shorter than that and you wouldn’t
» know I had any hairloss at all - even when wet. Its why I don’t flip out
» whenever a new “cure” is announced, or when said cure fails - I don’t need
» it yet. Maybe someday I will (that’s why I’m on this board; I’m thinking
» about the future), but thanks to Fin, Niz, and Rogaine, I’m just fine and
» have been for a decade. As for the last sentence, you took it out of
» context. That was from a discussion about new growth and DHT
» susceptibility. I wasn’t referring to me in particular, but rather meant it
» as a hypothetical for those NW3+s. What NW are you, Revtard? At least a NW
» 4, right? Wear a lot of hats, do you? At your age, that must seem very
» silly.
»
» yeah. I don’t care.

But you DO care. That’s why you run around, posting after every one of my posts. You care a whole lot.

First, fifth, or last, why were you looking at my posts at all? I’ve never once thought, “Hmmm, lets see what Revtard has written! He makes me soooo mad!” That’s very, very strange behavior. Not that its a surprise - you’re clearly imbalanced. Intense loneliness will do that.

I picture you like a bald Travis Bickle, driving a cab at night, living in a one-room apartment, doing pushups on the floor while you fantasize about the pretty fare you picked up during your shift. I just got the shivers, that image is so creepy.

» But you DO care. That’s why you run around, posting after every one of my
» posts. You care a whole lot.
»
» First, fifth, or last, why were you looking at my posts at all? I’ve
» never once thought, “Hmmm, lets see what Revtard has written! He makes me
» soooo mad!” That’s very, very strange behavior. Not that its a surprise -
» you’re clearly imbalanced. Intense loneliness will do that.
»
» I picture you like a bald Travis Bickle, driving a cab at night, living in
» a one-room apartment, doing pushups on the floor while you fantasize about
» the pretty fare you picked up during your shift. I just got the shivers,
» that image is so creepy.

Look it’s simple; you’ve been made.
I proved you’re a miserable liar. Dogstar proved you’re clueless.
You’re only compounding things with these long-winded responses.

»
» Look it’s simple; you’ve been made. I proved you’re a miserable liar.
» You’re only compounding things with these long-winded responses.

You’ve proved nothing, but with every response you only confirm my suspicions about you. For instance, look how delusional you’ve become - when faced with overwhelming evidence to the contrary, you chose to create your own reality. You even bend reality to fit your desperation. You’re so angry, and so very lonely.

All I have to do is post, and like an famished piranha, you’ll respond in moments. Such is your obsession. Its so very obvious, you don’t even try to refute it. I know you won’t take my advice, but maybe you should channel some of that energy into developing a fulfilling relationship with someone. It doesn’t have to be a woman (we know that’s a long shot) - maybe a pet? Anything to get you out of the house and doing something a little more psychologically healthy.

I’ve got to be getting home, but I’m sure you’ll be here tomorrow (got any big plans for Friday night?). I give you permission to post here on the weekends - I won’t make you feel bad about it. I know this place is all you have, and it would be cruel of me to keep you from it. So go ahead and post all weekend long, at all hours of the night. See you next week, “Ticket4one”!

Nah, that is laughable. You are here just in case you may need some treatments in the future? You are a funny guy. Have you checked out the boards on cancer and other diseases to see if there are any new treatments on the horizon just in case you might need them in the future?