Questions about Post Op Care

Going in for an HT(2500 grafts) in a couple of weeks. I was curious to know how long I would have to wait until I could work out again(pretty streneous excercise, lots of sit ups, pull ups, push ups,ect). Thanks in advance. Rob

I was told to wait at least one week, but I waited two just in case. I do some heavy lifting at times and I was told that could cause me to lose grafts. When you’re shelling out big $$$, you don’t want to take the chance of sabotaging your results. In my opinion wait two.

» I was told to wait at least one week, but I waited two just in case. I do
» some heavy lifting at times and I was told that could cause me to lose
» grafts. When you’re shelling out big $$$, you don’t want to take the
» chance of sabotaging your results. In my opinion wait two.

I was actually advised to wait for four weeks, from memory…
Let everything settle in nicely, etc.

H f H

Wait a second guys… Are you having a strip or FUE. The post op is radically different for each if you want optimal care for the donor area. As far as the recipient area this changes from clinic to clinic… however basic care is something like this:

1. Strip: IMO stay away from any strenuous activity that will put strain on the suture for at least a month. If I were a strip patient I would wait for hard workouts for three months. Now, some may argue this but hey your an adult… and if you are susceptible to scarring but you don’t know that you are… then your putting yourself at risk.

For a couple of weeks IMO you need to pay attention not to pick up any heavy objects, or bending over.

1. FUE: This depends on the punch size.
    A. If you go with a clinic that uses a 0.75mm- 0.8/9mm then you should be able to get back to physical activity after about a week. I would make sure the scabs in the donor have fallen off. 9 times out of ten the donor area with smaller punches heals quickly and physical activity can resume after about a week to be on the safe side. Individuals vary but on average this is what I have observed patient by patient.
    B. If you go with a clinic that uses a 1.0mm or larger punch, then you will probably need to wait an additional few more days. Especially the fews days immediately post-op. You will also see slightly more bleeding post op the first 48hrs. So IMO and based on my experience as a technician, I would add a few more days before I would get into heavy physical activity.

However, walking and light activity can be performed a 2-3 days post op. Use common sense. If your leaking in the donor area take it easy.

Ya, this is actually a repair case(strip), using the ‘lateral slit technique,’ I’ve decided not to workout a couple of months. Thanks

» Going in for an HT(2500 grafts) in a couple of weeks. I was curious to
» know how long I would have to wait until I could work out again(pretty
» streneous excercise, lots of sit ups, pull ups, push ups,ect). Thanks in
» advance. Rob

Are you going for fue or strip?
In fue, you can restart your exercise regime 8 to 10 days post HT.
In strip, wait for 4 weeks for sternous exercises.
Its better to avoid exercises like abdomen curls etc., where you may be putting a flexing stretch on the donor scar. That you should avoid for 1 year.

It’s going to be strip. Thanks for the input.