Question to surgeons

Lateral slit and hypodermics are two legitimate methods.

That is not the issue.

The issue is how you compared these two legitimate methods using a melon.

That is wrong, and no doctor will defend how a vegetable can be compared to human skin.

Dr Ray Woods

I see no way that any of this, including Joe’s video, his comments on a “bruising effect” with needles (on fruit), or Dr. A’s comments about needles, show that there is more human trauma with needles versus slits.

I would say, however, that one of the benefits of blade holders is that there is a built-in “stop”, which limits the depth of incision. Unless one uses a jury-rigged “stop”, needles have no such limitation on depth. It can be difficult, especially with tough-skinned patients, to always limit the depth to about 4mm. One may go to deep or too shallow. Much depends on the doc’s experience.

With a needle the graft has to be slipped in through the bevel and then the needle removed. You cant just poke hundreds of needle slits and then have techs come back and find the slits to insert the grafts into like you can with blades. The needle slits close up and are invisible within minutes. With blades techs can come back and easily insert grafts hours after the slit was made. You cant get back into the same needle slit once the needle is removed. So it’s pretty obvious which one causes less trauma.

Need more proof? Also look at any of Dr Woods immediate post-op of the recipient site, there’s hardly and blood or scabs. Compare that to Jotronic’s recipient(for example) after his first transplant with Dr Wong using blades. His head looked like hamburger meat!(no offence Joe;-) ). Its obvious theres more bleeding with blades. The proof is in the pudding.

Joe you’re a nice guy and you do know a lot about hair, but you’re not a doctor and your melon experiment has no scientific basis to it whatsoever and shouldnt be taken seriously.

I think if you are serious and confident in what you are saying then you should put your melon where your mouth is and in your next video let Dr Hasson or Wong stick you with a needle and then stick you with a blade and see what bleeds more. It sounds like a pretty reasonable challenge to me since you work in a clinic with two of the top strip docs in the world. What do you say?

» With a needle the graft has to be slipped in through the bevel and then the
» needle removed. You cant just poke hundreds of needle slits and then have
» techs come back and find the slits to insert the grafts into like you can
» with blades. The needle slits close up and are invisible within minutes.
» With blades techs can come back and easily insert grafts hours after the
» slit was made. You cant get back into the same needle slit once the needle
» is removed. So it’s pretty obvious which one causes less trauma.

This is hokum. Unless one is doing “stick-and-place”, the needle sites are made in in advance, just like with blades. They do NOT close up and become invisible within minutes.
On what experience are you basing these inaccurate claims?

If you are using small gauge needles such as 21 gauge or smaller, you must use the stick and place method as the incisions ABSOLUTELY DO close up in minutes and would not work if you were planning to create all the sites in advance, because you would not be able to find and/or re-open the sites. They do not create sites that you can find again like blades unless you are using a 18, 16 or larger gauge needle, which in my opinion is wrong and I would rather have blade created sites at that point. I speak from experience on this matter so theres no hokum or inaccuracy sorry.

» If you are using small gauge needles such as 21 gauge or smaller, you must
» use the stick and place method as the incisions ABSOLUTELY DO close up in
» minutes and would not work if you were planning to create all the sites in
» advance, because you would not be able to find and/or re-open the sites.
» They do not create sites that you can find again like blades unless you
» are using a 18, 16 or larger gauge needle, which in my opinion is wrong
» and I would rather have blade created sites at that point. I speak from
» experience on this matter so theres no hokum or inaccuracy sorry.

how do you know all this? Are you a doctor?

This is completely inaccurate. I place in 25g sites just fine, the sites do not close up within minutes, and I don’t think anyone uses as big as 16g.

Id be very interested to see you find one slit created by a 25 g needle after 10 - 20 minutes and inserting a graft into it, let alone hundreds or thousands over hours. Im not a fan of excessive trauma and force. And of course there are still bad clinics using 16 g needles.

» Id be very interested to see you find one slit created by a 25 g needle
» after 10 - 20 minutes and inserting a graft into it, let alone hundreds or
» thousands over hours.

Its a daily thing. Dr. Cole and Dr. Mwamba make 100-350 or more sites at once with a 25g and I fill the slits with grafts. We use very high magnification. To the naked eye, the sites are nearly invisible.

Sorry, I speak from experience too. Even smaller needle holes do not close up in minutes. You do NOT necessarily need to use stick and place with these. I wouldn’t wait for hours and hours, but it is very doable.